[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have any suggestions for me if I enjoyed this? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1444151300104.jpg (445KB, 468x702px) Image search: [Google]
1444151300104.jpg
445KB, 468x702px
Does anyone have any suggestions for me if I enjoyed this? I liked the short stories aspect but a full novel/series would be fine

I'm also a huge fan of Book of the New Sun, not exactly the same kinda SF but I guess I'm just looking for pretty original science fiction
>>
the structure and interpretation of computer programs
>>
>>7333647
>the structure and interpretation of computer programs
An absolute classic. Good taste.
>>
Ted Chiang is a boss
>>
>>7333628
Chiang's other works. The Salesman and the Magician's Portal was pretty great.

I read Usurper of the Sun soon after this, and I thought it was a decent read-alike.
>>
Read the rest of his bibliography. Ted Chiang's other stories are "What's Expected of Us", "The Merchant and the Alchemist," "Exhalation," "The Lifecycle of Software Objects," and "The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling."

Also, try Clarkesworld Magazine. A lot of their stories mimic Chiang's style. Warning: Leans SJW.

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/
>>
File: 5165in1hAgL.jpg (40KB, 310x500px) Image search: [Google]
5165in1hAgL.jpg
40KB, 310x500px
>>
Bloodchild - Octavia Butler
The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories - Wolfe
>>
> and Other Stories and Other Stories

wat
>>
ted chiang is great
>>
File: 1430218261609.jpg (133KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1430218261609.jpg
133KB, 600x600px
>>7333937

The first story in the collection is called "The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories"

There's also a story in the collection called "The Death of Doctor Island" and another called "The Doctor of Death Island" all three are part of his "Archipelago" series.
>>
I also really liked this book OP. :^)
>>
>>7333628
Yes.

I recommend starting with these two:

A perfect vacuum by Stanislaw Lem.

Roadside picnic by the Strugatsky brothers.
>>
I love Chiang.

Dick, Mieville and Le Guin probably have the most similar concerns of any SF writers I've read, but Wolfe, Gibson, Simmons and Vinge to some extent as well.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.