[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what the fuck am i reading? am i doomed to be a pleb?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: Joyce_wake.jpg (22KB, 369x599px) Image search: [Google]
Joyce_wake.jpg
22KB, 369x599px
what the fuck am i reading?
am i doomed to be a pleb?
>>
>>7328568

Lol read the plot summary on Wiki then tell people you read it. It works everytime and people think you're genius
>>
>>7328568
Don't read this until you are ready. It will break you if you read it at the wrong time.

But if you ever reach the point where you can read it (you'll know the feeling when it happens), it will change your life
>>
It's a novel about form and language, trying to autistically understand the plot is besides the point.
>>
A really weird attempt by Joyce to incorporate stream of consciousness into writing and simulate the layered concatenation of similar thoughts and ideas.

The end result is kind of universally known for being a disappointing wannabe magnum opus that no one gives a fuck about and that isn't remotely enjoyable to read even for superintelligent "I literally read Shakespeare and Cervantes simultaneously in the womb" types like Borges.
>>
>>7328568

The ramblings of a borderline schizophrenic genius.

>>7328571

>Not keeping your literature hobby a secret to those around you, so that it may not be perverted by vanity

Hyperpleb.
>>
>>7328574
gay
>>
>>7328574
okay. i'll put it down and finish the /lit/ starter kit.
>>
It's really schizophrenia. Brilliant book. Read the first chapter in depth and you'll recognise the variations everywhere through the book. Opening it at random I see everywhere variations of sentences past, things that sound exactly the same but are written in ways to mean different things, in different contexts. very playful
>>
>>7328574
M E M E
E
M
E
>>
>>7328598
This man has no penis.
>>
>>7328580
>he thinks media consumption is a hobby
>>
>>7328568
Keep it up with the modernism and ya will be m8
>>
File: MTE5NTU2MzE2MzE3MzIwNzE1.jpg (157KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NTU2MzE2MzE3MzIwNzE1.jpg
157KB, 1200x1200px
>>7328580
>>Not keeping your literature hobby a secret to those around you, so that it may not be perverted by vanity
>>
>>7328638
i don't get it. what's so bad about modernism?
>>
>>7328598
NOOOO PEEEENISS
>>
I think it's the sort of novel you read if you're interested in weird nonsense poetry.

There may be an ultimate purpose to it, but it's not the sort you can decode without reading the thing every day for 20 years.
>>
What about you lot learning something about semiotics and then go back to FW?
>>
>>7328608
>>7328651

I have fucked 9 girls and 2 men so far, and I'm 19. I've had 80+ fucks with these. I have a penis, and I still love Finnegans Wake.
>>
>>7328568
Nabokov didn't like it so
>>
>>7329059
Reeee and scho on *sniff*
>>
>>7329036
>semiotics
Can someone explain what semiotics is, how it can help with reading FW or other texts, and where I can learn more about it?

Thanks.
>>
>>7329750

Semiotics is the study of the processes through which humans communicate with signs. How signs make meaning.
>>
>>7329036
Even semiotics will never get you any meaning out of the neologisms he uses in that book.
>>
>>7329750

You can learn more about it by reading Saussure, Charles Pierce, and Roland Barthes. >>7329760
>>
Nerds don't get self-deprecating irony.
>>
You are quite literally reading the end of modernism.
>>
>>7329059

Now that I think about it I'm probably about the same. Good to see I'm not a complete outlier.
>>
>>7328574
>Don't read this until you are ready
Is it wrong that I plan to read Finnegans Wake only after I've read almost every other recommend classic book?
I figure I'll get to it around 2018.
>>
>>7328571
Yeah, bro, it's a really good idea to talk about the fucking plot of Finnegans Wake. Especially if you are trying to impress people with your genius and not show that you are a huge retard
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.