[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's wrong with Fan Fiction? I'm not asking what's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Asamushi_Onsen_01.jpg (1MB, 1953x1515px) Image search: [Google]
Asamushi_Onsen_01.jpg
1MB, 1953x1515px
What's wrong with Fan Fiction?

I'm not asking what's wrong with most Fan Fiction out there (Like terrible prose, a poor grasp of grammar, etc.) but what's wrong with the concept of Fan Fiction?

Why do writers like G.R.R. Martin and Anne Rice basically demonize it?
>>
GRR is afraid of being outdone. By a bigger autist, for instance, who'd both literally and figuratively weigh more, make up twice the genealogies and noble emblems (also known as world-building), and have every sunset find some character in a different sitting position, with bowel movements of various consistencies and flow rates, in exquisite detail described of course, not to mention footnotes on the viscosity, pH, microorganisms and trace elements found in whatever liquids are alimenting their corresponding outputs.

Anne Rice, well, case in point. Who remembers Anne Rice? Vampire romance! Get on with the times, old lady.
>>
>>7324139
I disagree on Martin, he is enough of an austist to be like, this is MY world, I created it, and YOU cant have it. In my younger days of tabletop gaming, I knew some dungeon masters who would get extremely upset if you reused favorite characters from their campaign in your own, or even reused your own characters that lvled up in their campaign.

The real problem with fan fiction in the recent context is that we are not going to get short novellas in the world of say, Camus or Hubert Selby, or even something from classic film, like The Virgin Spring from the killers perspective. Considering hiro's liberality displayed, we are going to get /mlp/ and naruto fanfiction, and all that it entails
>>
>>7324153
>be like
say, asshole. The word you're looking for is say
>>
>>7324093

Conceptually there's nothing wrong with Fan Fiction.

Paradise Lost and the Aeneid were Fan Fiction, for god's sake.
>>
>>7324158
'Say' doesn't convey all the implications regarding body language and huffing-puffing and reddering of the face that are in order when you have someone of Martin's circumference in mind.

>>7324161
>Paradise Lost
>for god's sake
>>
>>7324169
I see. And 'be like' conveys all those things.
>>
>>7324176
It's like, more open to interpretation.
>>
Because writing fanfiction about their works makes it clear about how easy it is to write like them.
>>
>>7324161
No they weren't you fucking retard. I bet you're the same spastic who claims that The Odyssey was genre fiction.
>>
>>7324217

How have you defined Fan Fiction such that it does not include Paradise Lost?
>>
>>7324176
I think "be like" works here because it paints Martin as an autist who is acting as a object rather than a person. Which is a truthful sense for that sentence, because "say" would imply that be could be some other way, which in truth he cannot be.
>>
>>7324093
GRRM doesn't demonize it, he has two pretty basic arguments:

1) He doesn't agree that that fanfiction innocent or harmless. It's his property, and adapting it comes with both legal and moral concerns; he considers it people tampering with and taking advantage of his work (in the latter case, it's not uncommon for authors to build their success with fanfiction.)

2) He doesn't agree that writing fanfiction is helpful or positive to the fan writer. It's not an exercise or learning experience, it's just putting off learning to come up with a story.
>>
Reading fan fiction is a shameless pleasure of mine.

I originally read my first fanfic just out of curiosity, because people were constantly making fun of them, I wanted to know what's so bad about these works. What I had found instead in my first fic was a wondrous story, with great pacing.

Mainstream society has this image in their heads that all fan fiction works must have terrible grammar, sentence structure, or uninteresting stories. That simply isn't true.
Sure, there are fics - and not a few - that do have those qualities, but there are plenty of works that are absolutely amazing in quality and often even surpass the original work in sheer talent. The key is to find those.
I'm not actually sure, whether I want fan fiction to ever go mainstream though. That never went well for any subculture.
>>
>>7324161
man this is the worst new meme

though it's probably just the same autistic sperglord spamming it repeatedly...i hope
>>
>>7324266
>new
>being it
>>
>>7324223
>It's not an exercise or learning experience, it's just putting off learning to come up with a story.

Please tell me Martin isn't so retarded as to think plot is all there is to writing.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.