[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would Adolf Hitler have browsed /lit/ if he were alive today?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: hitler.jpg (306KB, 556x700px) Image search: [Google]
hitler.jpg
306KB, 556x700px
Would Adolf Hitler have browsed /lit/ if he were alive today?

>"Adolf wrote a great deal during this period. I had discovered that it was mainly plays, dramas actually. He took the plots from Germanic mythology or German history, but hardly any of these plays were really finished. [...] Adolf showed me some of his drafts, and I was struck by the fact that he attributed much importance to magnificent staging. [...] [I told him] the most profitable thing would be to write some unpretentious comedy. Unpretentious? This was all that was needed to make him furious. So this attempt, too, ended in failure."
p.176 / 177

>"In Linz, Adolf had started to read the classics. Of Goethe's 'Faust' he once remarked that it contained more than the human mind could grasp. [...] It is natural that, of Schiller's works, 'Wilhelm Tell' affected him most deeply. [...] He was profoundly impressed by Dante's 'Divine Comedy' [...] I know that he was interested in Herder, and we saw together Lessing's 'Minna von Barhelm'. He liked Stifter partly I suppose because he encountered in his writing the familiar picture of his native landscape, while Rosegger struck him, as he once put it, as 'too popular'"
p.181

>"Every now and then he would choose books which were then in vogue, but in order to form a judgement of those who read them, rather than of the books themselves. Ganghofer meant nothing to him, whilst he greatly praised Otto Ernst. [...] Adolf read Ibsen's plays in Vienna without being very much impressed by them."
p.181

>"As for philosophical works, he always had his Schopenhauer by him, later Nietzsche too"
p.181
>>
>>7323824
What source is this? Because Hitler bragged a lot about reading all this shit, but his flatmate and former friend in Vienna (I think, paraphrasing from memory a book I've read two years ago) attested to the fact that there really wasn't any philosophy to be found, and he never publicly showed his knowledge of these either. On top of that, he wasn't exactly rich at any time to buy all of these things.
>>
adolf this adolf that
>>
all entry-level basic classics

probably, yeah
>>
>>7323827
August Kubizek's "The Young Hitler I Knew".

>wasn't rich enough to buy them

>"Books were his whole world. In Linz, in order to procure the books he wanted, he had subscribed to three libraries. In Vienna he used the Hof Library so industriously that I asked him once in all seriousness whether he intended to read the whole library, which of course earned me some rude remarks"
p.180

>"Hardly anything would disturb him when he was reading, but sometimes he disturbed himself, for as soon as he opened a book he started talking about it, and I had to listen patiently whether I was interested in the subject or not. Every now and then, in Linz even more frequently than in Vienna, he would thrust a book into my hands and demand that I, as his friend, should read it."
p.180

>"Adolf had an especially feel for poets and authors who had something of value to say to him. He never read books simply to pass the time; it was a deadly earnest occupation. I got that impression more than once. What an upset if I did not take his reading seriously enough and played the piano while he was studying."
p.180
>>
ever thought about possibility of being annoying?
>>
>>7323870
I'm really skeptical of Kubizek's memoirs - he used to write memoirs for the NSDAP getting paid by the NSDAP, and I'm sure he based his later writings at least in parts on that paid-for propaganda.

Furthermore, he was a close friend with Hitler from 1905 to 1908 when both where uni students, so the extent of his knowledge is rather doubtful. It's proven that Kubizek lied about young Hitler's anti-semitism (for example, he wrote that Hitler was a member of the Austrian "Antisemitenbund", which he wasn't - he even was a friend of some Jews at the time)
>>
>>7323881
In the book Kubizek admits Hitler's disliking of Jews (and others immigrant groups who gathered in Vienna at the time, and explains that he was a little surprised at this since his father, although a drinker and a likely believer in the vague notion of jews being suspicious, was above all a liberal, apolitical man.

I understand the memoir was promoted by the Nazi party (although they didn't seem too interested since they Kubizek was forced to write it over a decade or so while working full-time, but still it's not as if Adolf comes across as a heroic figure in the book. Kubizek admits Hitler was a loner, a virgin, a weakling, a woman-hater and often a misanthrope. It doesn't resemble the image Hitler later attempted to promote of himself as a physically healthy, powerful figure.
>>
File: WP_20151105_001[1].jpg (2MB, 3552x2000px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151105_001[1].jpg
2MB, 3552x2000px
>>7323870
You're reading propaganda, by the way.

[Your citations], followed by (translated from Dutch):
'However, Götter- und Heldesnagen, germanisch-deutscher Sagenschatz was the only title that Kubizek could remember. When after the war he was asked what Hitler had read, he could only recall that his former friend had two books in his room for a couple of weeks once, and that he owned a travel guide. His later claims that Hitler had read an impressive amount of classics, including Goethe, Schiller, Dante, Herder, Ibsen, Schopenhauer and Nietzsche, most likely need to be taken with an incredible grain of salt' (Kershaw, Hitler Hubris 77, pic related if you can read it)

On Hitler's political Weltanschauung: 'Kubizek's memories on this topic are often unreliable or simply unbelievable' (Kershaw, Hitler Hubris 85)

Hitler was not an intellectual of any kind.
>>
>>7323870
>>7323893
To add, it continues on the next page saying that this is not absolute proof of Hitler not reading anything, it's thinkable that he did. Just not what Kubizek says, and not in the way Hitler would portray himself. Apparently he even sent his sister a copy of Don Quixote, though. Don't know if he read it, but whatever. He did like to go to operas though. Spent all his shit on that.
>>
hitler seems like a bro desu
>>
>>7323893
Kershaw knows very little about Hitler's reading habits, and consciously avoided visiting the so-called "Hitler library" of Adolf's books discovered in a German salt mine.

Herbert Döhring, who managed Hitler's rural retreat, said the personal library space of around 600 books was overwhelmed and that Hitler sent him deliveries of more books with instructions to store them elsewhere.

Hans Frank, Hitler's lawyer, mentioned how Adolf for a period carried around with him a copy of Schopenhauer's "The World as Will and Representation"

Johann Schmidt, Hitler's first cousin, said that his cousin spent his summer holidays avoiding the company of his family and reading in private.

In his own tax declaration Hitler claimed only to possess 1,000 marks and two bookcases full of books.

His instructions to those construction his official home in Berlin was that a whole wing should be designed to accommodate his book collection.

Hitler listed Gulliver's Travels, Robinson Crusoe, Uncle Tom's Cabin, and Don Quixote as being among his favorite novels at the time in one interview.

There's plenty of evidence to suggest he was a great reader with an intense interest in literature
>>
>>7323931
Yeah but Hitler was stupid man *smokes bong* that's why he held the political beliefs that he did *puts dreadlocks into ponytail*
>>
>>7323931
>and consciously avoided visiting the so-called "Hitler library" of Adolf's books discovered in a German salt mine.
What was his reason for this?
And I'm not going to discredit your sources outright, because I haven't read them, nor read about them too much, but:

>Hans Frank, Hitler's lawyer, mentioned how Adolf for a period carried around with him a copy of Schopenhauer's "The World as Will and Representation"
When was this? Did he see this? Because according to other sources it was during WWI and those times he claimed to always carry Schopenhauer. His lawyer could've just been repeating Hitler's words.

>Johann Schmidt, Hitler's first cousin
Cousin, how biased is he? When did he say this? under what circumstances? Also, Hitler broke off a lot of contact with his family anyways, and lived a generally secluded and secretive lifestyle, even later on in life during his reign.
>In his own tax declaration Hitler claimed only to possess 1,000 marks and two bookcases full of books.
Yeah, he also claimed he was the 7th member of the NSDAP in front of thousands and thousands of people. He said he hated Jews from Vienna, but had a Jewish business partner who helped him sell paintings. He lied. A lot. This is not evidence whatsoever.
>His instructions to those construction his official home in Berlin was that a whole wing should be designed to accommodate his book collection.
This is after he has made it. If you talk a big game, you need to get a big bookshelf. Nothing suggests that he would've actually read these things.
>Hitler listed Gulliver's Travels, Robinson Crusoe, Uncle Tom's Cabin, and Don Quixote as being among his favorite novels at the time in one interview.
Do you have this interview? I'd like to read what he had to say about them.

The problem with Hitler is that there are about 1000 realities about him. I would personally trust very little Hitler said about himself in the past, seeing as the man had a chance to make his own myths, not having had too many friends or relatives.
>>
/his/
>>
>>7323893
>>7323893
Hitler gifted Mussolini the complete works of Nietzsche in 1942, I think it's feasible he read it himself.
>>
>>7323950
Don't you think that the positive things written about him, especially soon after his death, are likely to be true considering the huge amount of scorn that was poured on him?
>>
>>7323950
He avoided doing so in his book about Hitler for reasons I'm unaware of, but to his credit (I suppose) he does admit he wasn't interested in exploring the archive in his research.

>When was this? Did he see this?
During the war. It was one of the many things Hans recalled about Hitler during his testimony and interrogation at the Nuremberg trials.

>In his own tax declaration Hitler
You're claiming he wasn't poor in the 20s / early 30s?

>Do you have this interview? I'd like to read what he had to say about them.
It's quoted from an interview he gave by Timothy Ryback in his recent book about Hitler's reading habits and interest in art.
>>
>>7323977
No idea. I don't know if people were still loyal to him or the idea of him. I've not read that much on German society directly after WWII.
>>7323991
Hmm, I'll have to read some more into it then, I suppose. I'll remain skeptical about his intellectual endeavours, though. His approach to his early parties and rhetoric don't come across as sophisticated in the slightest, nor was his attempt at writing anything special, quite the opposite, it was incoherent ramblings.
>>
>>7324129
>incoherent ramblings

This is such a cliched phrase that it qualifies as ironic in the sense that it highlights your own lack of sophistication.
>>
Hitler met with Knut Hamsun once too. It was when Hamsun was going deaf, and apparently he constantly interrupted the furher, which made him angry. One associate remarked that he was the only person to ever get a word in edgewise with hitler.
>>
>>7324177
What?
>>7324191
No, it's quite literally what Mein Kampf was. Hence why it was edited a dozen times by a dozen different people before people could even consider it somewhat readable. A truth doesn't lose it's truthfulness with repetition, although people's need to always hear something new would have you think otherwise.
>>
>>7324231
Any evidence of it being unreadable without "a dozen" edits?
>>
File: WP_20151105_005[1].jpg (3MB, 3552x2000px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151105_005[1].jpg
3MB, 3552x2000px
>>7324239
I really should just copy this somewhere for every Mein Kampf thread.. I even wrote this out the other day. Remember the page number and everything. Could make for an interesting bar scene.
Pic related. I'll translate and store this from now on:

Thanks to the intervention in editing of several people, the first published version of Mein Kampf, terribly written and incoherent as it remained, was a great improvement in comparison to Hitler's manuscript. Otto Strasser labeled this as: 'A true chaos of commonplace schoolboy memories, subjective judgement and personal hatred.'
The text was edited by Amann, party printer Müller, by Hess and Hanfstaengl (whose brother did not want the book published by the family publishing business). Stolzing-Cerny, the music reviewer of the Völkischer Beobachter and Bernard Stempfle, the former Hieronymieten father and once head editor/redactor for the Miesbacher Anzeiger, a NSDAP favored regional Bayern newspaper, did most of the work. They rewrote entire passages, which gained readability without losing Hitler's hard to follow and often not understandable style. Even after that the text was heavily modified before it was allowed to be shown in print. According to Hans Frank, Hitler admitted that it was poorly written. He called the book nothing more than a bunch of main articles for the Völkischer Beobachter,

Kershaw, Hitler Hubris 1889-1936, 323.
>>
>>7323824

Probably. And he'd be posting REEEE threads over on r9k and hating on normies as well.

The Young Hitler I Knew makes him out to be nearly identical to the vast majority of robots. Only difference is that robots don't have any of his drive or ambition. Which is very fortunate.
>>
>>7324207
You should read up on Hans Litten. He questioned Hitler on the witness stand. Apparently he made Hitler lose his temper.
>>
>>7324268
Fair enough, I appreciate the effort.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.