[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/ what are some good books on geopolitics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: geopolitics1.jpg (163KB, 960x768px) Image search: [Google]
geopolitics1.jpg
163KB, 960x768px
Hey /lit/ what are some good books on geopolitics?
>>
the grand chessboard

you can disagree with alot of its conclusions as well as to whether the things it advocates are good ideas or not but its essential to understanding the background of alot US and western foreign policy
>>
Bumping this thread for interest.
>>7321987
Can you tell me more about The Grand Chessboard? What eras and regions does it talk about?
What's it's main thesis? Is it considered mainstream or revisionist?
What conclusions do you (or others) disagree with if any?
Do you think it is relatively unbiased?
>>
>>7321973
Damn this is a great pic
>>
The Great Game
Peter Hopkirk

It goes on today; world without end.
>>
>>7321973
I laughed at Turkey.
>>
bump desu
>>
>>7322421
That's not really about geopolitics more than any other history book dealing with competition between empires. Nor sure why you recommended it.
OP, read up on world systems theory and Kissinger.
>>
>>7321973
East, West, North South by Geir Lundestad.

Major developments in international politics since 1945.

Covers most major changes/wars between nations since 1945. An understanding of the politics of ww2 is preferable to get context but not necessary.

Source: Politics student who has read it.
>>
>>7324080
>and Kissinger.

Most disgusting man in existence to get the nobel peace prize (with the greatest irony since Tony Blair was made peace envoy).

Good book on him by Christopher Hitchens:
The trial of Henry Kissinger.

basically presents a "trial" by words from hitchens showing Kissinger's crimes (notably gulf-of-tokin and East Timor massacre)

Interesting personally (as i love hitchens and hate Kissinger) although besides that it doesn't mention much about geopolitics.

If you care about corporate media bias (as many politics students do) and want a book mixing this with global events (mainly Latin America/ French-Polynesia) then I couldn't reccomend Manufacturing Consent By Chomsky any more.
>>
File: 220px-The_Great_Game[1].jpg (25KB, 220x331px) Image search: [Google]
220px-The_Great_Game[1].jpg
25KB, 220x331px
The Great Game: On Secret Service in High Asia
Peter Hopkirk

Peter Hopkirk's spellbinding account of the great imperial struggle for supremacy in Central Asoa has been hailed as essential reading with that era's legacy playing itself out today.

The Great Game between Victorian Britain and Tsarist Russia was fought across desolate terrain from the Caucasus to China, over the lonely passes of the Parmirs and Karakorams, in the blazing Kerman and Helmund deserts, and through the caravan towns of the old Silk Road-both powers scrambling to control access to the riches of India and the East. When play first began, the frontiers of Russia and British India lay 2000 miles apart; by the end, this distance had shrunk to twenty miles at some points. Now, in the vacuum left by the disintegration of the Soviet Union, there is once again talk of Russian soldiers "dipping their toes in the Indian Ocean."

The Washington Post has said that "every story Peter Hopkirk touches is totally engrossing." In this gripping narrative he recounts a breathtaking tale of espionage and treachery through the actual experiences of its colorful characters. Based on meticulous scholarship and on-the-spot research, this is the history at the core of today's geopolitics.

http://bookzz.org/book/1205354/f923b6
>>
>>7324202
I enjoyed this book so much. Its best read back to back with Kim by Kipling
>>
File: mental maps ww2.jpg (11KB, 158x250px) Image search: [Google]
mental maps ww2.jpg
11KB, 158x250px
mental maps essays, also exists for early and late cold war.
tries to explain main contributing factors in viewpoints of all major leaders.
>>
G E O D U D E P O L I T I C S
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.