[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long does it take you to read a 300-page book? I am a non-native

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

File: 0903-kindle-630x420.jpg (42KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
0903-kindle-630x420.jpg
42KB, 630x420px
How long does it take you to read a 300-page book?

I am a non-native speaker of English and would like to know what reading speed I should aim for to be able to enjoy literature in English.
>>
Don't aim for reading speed, especially if you're an English learner.

Speedreading is a myth.

Aim to look up every word you don't know and to actually finish books while comprehending them. Read one book at a time.
>>
>>7321101
This is the only answer. Speed will come as you read more. You will enjoy a book no matter what speed you're reading it at.
>>
>>7321101
>>7321110
Just tell me how long does it take you to read a book like, The Fault in Our Stars.
>>
Anyone who reads a book with a sense of obligation does not understand the art of reading. Slow down and enjoy the ride, partner. B-)
>>
>>7321117
Couple of hours - not a native speaker either.
>>
>>7321119
wtf... it takes me like 5 days desu
>>
>>7321124
In cumulative reading time. It rarely read books in one sitting
>>
>>7321094

Depends on the book. Might be a couple hours might be a couple days.

> what reading speed I should aim for to be able to enjoy literature in English.

Whatever is comfortable for you. Don't rush it if you're trying to enjoy what you're reading.
>>
>>7321094
I spend a minute or two on every page. Depends on the font size
>>
3-5 hours
>>
For me a 300 hundred page book can be finished in a day or two if I'm really interested. But I'm a native who's been reading since I was 5 or so so it's a bit different.

Like the others have said, you should read at whatever speed feels comfortable.
>>
That's why I hate reading. I'm always the slow retard that can't into reading a book/day. I tried speedreading but it gets worse since I just forget everything I read in the last couple of seconds
>>
>>7321118
Don't be a faggot and just answer OP's question.
>>
Don't listen to these scumlords telling you to slow down. They have slow brains. I've been reading IJ for a year now because of that bologna. At least I understand it 110%
>>
Only the elect read fast
>>
>>7321094

5 hours.

>>7321117

I picked it up once. It was extremely easy to read. Took a third of the time it would take to read a proper work of literature.

I put it down after 50 pages because it was awful. I think smug teenage narrators are insufferable.
>>
>>7321157
>They have slow brains.
>I've been reading IJ for a year now

Bud...
>>
>>7321117
Depends on font size and page size and complexity ofc, but assuming John green is similar as Harry potter it'd probably take me 90 minutes of reading time for a 300 page book.
>>
The book you read influences you the most while you are reading it. After finishing a book you are outside of it's most powerful influence and start to forget. This is why you should read books slowly and let them change you. I spend only small portion of the day reading, the rest of the day I spend doing my daily chores while being under the influence of whatever I just read. If you really wan't to read more I suggest adding more books rather than reading more of the same. When you read multiple books you enter unexplored territories, many have read these books but not many have been under influence of these chapters at once.
>>
Man it takes me about 10 to 12 hours to read 300 pages, do you guys take notes or actually try to understand it?
>>
>>7321363

Some people can understand things more easily than others. Some people don't care about that and just want to immerse themselves in the book they're reading. Some people could read the same book three or four times in the twelve hours it takes you and understand it much better.

It really doesn't fucking matter though. Why do so many people on this board want to make reading competitive? It's pretty pathetic.
>>
I read 50 pages an hour and I read one hour a day so I would finish a 300 page book in 6 days.
>>
>>7321467
How many days would it take this anon to finish said book if he read 25 pages every two days instead?
>>
>>7321527
>>>/sci/
>>
If I remember correctly it took me 12 hour to read Rendezvous with Rama in one sitting. I don't think I could have done it any faster.
>>
>>7321527
I hate trigonometry, anon. Take that scientific shit to /sci/.
>>
>>7321527
24 days
>>
3 days. I read 100 pages everyday, it started as a rule but became quite easy for me. Nowdays I usually limit myself despite wanting to read more, I don't think reading too much over a short period of time is good. If I have time to read at the morning I might do 100 in the morning and another 100 before bed.
>>
If I'm free and don't have anything to do for the next day or whatever I usually read about 100 pages
If not about 50ish or so. Not sure about hours
>>
>>7321532
>>7321569
kek
>>
>>7321142
about this.
>>
kek desu senpai
>>
>>7321574
>incorrect
>>
>>7321299
>When you read multiple books you enter unexplored territories, many have read these books but not many have been under influence of these chapters at once.
I like the way you put that anon :) I must try this out.
>>
>>7321094
I'll echo everyone who advised taking as long as you need to fully understand and enjoy what you're reading.

I'm a native English speaker, and if I'm reading something dense, I might take five to ten minutes on a page taking notes, looking up words, referring back to other relevant passages. If I'm reading something really dense, I might spend that long reading a sentence. Take it nice and slow, homie.
>>
>>7321094
120 words per minute for English books. If iI try going faster it will decrease the enjoyability of the book.
>>
Anyone do this (play an audiobook at 2x while reading the book)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqPH3kDyfCg
>>
>>7321094
maybe a unique insight cause im pretty heavily dyslexic so 300 pages will take up to 8 hours, maybe even more
>>
>>7321299
A little bit pretentious phrasing, but yeah I agree with the concept.
>>
>>7324198
I do that with foreign language texts.
>>
>>7321608

So you pretty much do nothing but read all day?
>>
I'm not a native English speaker and the last book I read was Stoner, and it took me about 7 hours I think give or take.
>>
>>7321094
1.5 hours? give or take 10 minutes.
>>
I can read 150-200 pages in a day if I like the work
so 2 days if I like the work
>>7321101
I'm not aiming for speed I think, its just if its enjoyable you want to see what happens next
>>
As long as I let it.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.