[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which writers wrote / write the best prose?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

File: hutwithwaterpic.jpg (188KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
hutwithwaterpic.jpg
188KB, 770x433px
>Maugham
>Wallace
>Roth
>Diaz

All great writers of prose. It's bad how many bad writers of prose we have. Look at King or Murakami. Fucking disgraceful.
>>
>Wallace
>Diaz
Nice b8
>>
>>7320920

Soren Kierkegaard in Danish is better than sex.
>>
>>7320925

Why are they bait? Wallace is considered to have some of the best prose ever, and Diaz is considered good. Do you even read?
>>
Delillo
Austen
Joyce
Conrad
Hemingway
>>
>muh prose
fuck off retard
>>
>>7320929
>Wallace is considered to have some of the best prose ever
My bad. You'll have to specify which Wallace you're talking about, since no sane person would say this of David's awkward mumble.
>Diaz is considered good
He is, isn't he. What's next? Sales numbers?
>>
Diaz is utter garbage. Oscar Wao is one of the most artless novels I have ever read. I contemplated suicide for a time while grappling with the reality that all it takes to be successful in literature nowadays is to be a sassy minority writing about the 'immigrant experience.'
>>
>>7321063
Your mentallie ill! XD
>>
lowry had the best
>>
>>7320920
Roth is the only one with good prose. Maugham's prose seems good at a glance, but upon further inspection (a second glance should do) you'll realize just how clumsy it really is. Wallace has his moments. Diaz subordinates beauty to his political agenda. His prose style leaves much to be desired.
>>
>>7321063
Don't forget that the best sassy minority stories are always written as vignettes. Brown people love to watch and make Vines because they were forced to read House on Mango Street in middle school
>>
>>7321063
Agreed, Diaz is trash. I'd place both King and Murakami several leagues ahead of him, and I don't particularly like either
>>
>>7320929
>Wallace is considered to have some of the best prose ever, and Diaz is considered good.
By Guardian readers maybe
>>
>>7320920
Your lack of Joyce disturbs me.
>>
>>7320920

retail tier
>>
>>7320920
>Murakami
Doesn't he write in Japanese?
>>
lol people who can't write claiming renowned writers prose is bad i love this website
>>
Oscar Wilde
>>
>>7321241
I'm sure OP is fluent in moonspeak and is in no way judging Murakami solely on translations by publishers who have cut out massive parts of his books to meet a character limit.

Don't be silly anon, OP knows what he's talking about and is in no way a huge faggot.
>>
>>7321248
I can't believe anyone is dumb enough to judge the prose of a language they don't even speak. Maybe OP legitimately didn't realise that the books aren't originally in English.
Why am I giving him the benefit of the doubt? His opinions are fucking stupid anyway
>>
>>7321246
>this atrocity of a post
Speaking of people who can't write...
>>
>>7320920
Been reading Murakami in Japanese, have we?
>>
>>7320926
how would you know
>>
>>7321314
He has faith.
>>
>>7320920
>No Delillo
>No Pynchon
>No Gaddis
>NO GASS
and those are just Americans
fuck off.
I'll gladly explain why I think those above are great stylists.
>>
>>7321160

>Maugham's prose seems good at a glance, but upon further inspection (a second glance should do) you'll realize just how clumsy it really is.

Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>7321246

this.
>>
>>7321331
Why?
>>
>>7321338
How come?
>>
>>7321343
i sent that post to the wrong person
>>
>>7320920

I mean it only matters for novelists who actually tried to write with the density of poetry. Prose can be well written but to what end other than communicate something, where content is the most important. It's not poetry. Unless it's by:

- Flaubert
- Proust
- Joyce
- Melville
- Hawthorne
- M Lowry

only prose writers in my book that wrote well enough to put poets from their generation to shame.
>>
>>7320920
>Diaz

Whhat Diaz, pls elaborate or this headache you've given me wont subside.
>>
>>7321063
This
>>
>>7321334
Maugham writes like a clown desu
He can't match an expert professional like henry james
>>
>>7320920
Conrad
>>
>>7320920
Updike
>>
>>7320920
I think Gibbon and Hume (in his history of great britain) write the most beautiful English prose that I have ever read.
>>
>>7320920
This list is repulsive. Do you even read?
>>
>>7321314
Obviously he can read Danish.
>>
>>7320926
how good of an idea is it to learn danish just to read kierkegaard
>>
>>7321215
Not a fan of Diaz but King is somewhere below shit in terms of prose
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.