[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you read physical or digital? Those who buy physical, how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

Do you read physical or digital?
Those who buy physical, how much do you spend on books? New or used?
Those who download digital, do you find you read more or less as a result? Are you ever less inclined to finish books?
>>
File: 007.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
007.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>7320285
I always buy physical, it costs a shit ton for me, especially if I want to get books from Amazon or eBay and have to pay for shipping to Australia (and the shipping more often than not costs more than the damn book). But in the end it's worth it because I like to get hardback books and they look really nice.

Pic related. Cost about $80 but better than reading from my phone.
>>
File: latest.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>7320331
Hello fellow Australian anon. Those are some lovely looking copies. Have you tried www.bookdepository.com when buying online?
They are from the UK, but books normally arrive within 7 or so days from my experience, but they're usually a little bit cheaper than locally, as well as Amazon, and their prices fluctuate a little every now and then so there's a chance you might even be able to get them cheaper.
>>7320285
I also pretty much only buy physical. It's not cheap, but yes, I am definitely more inclined to finish something I start physically.
>>
>>7320349
Interesting, I haven't used that site before. If it's cheaper than buying locally and from Amazon, 7 or so days isn't that bad either, then that's pretty good. Thanks for letting me know about it anon.
>>
>>7320285
You're best off using https://booko.com.au/
It's a book price comparison site, with shipping to Australia, all in Australian dollars. You could've gotten those exact editions in hardcover for $55:
http://www.kennys.ie/the-complete-fiction-of-hp-lovecraft-knickerbocker-classics.html?refer_id=1
http://www.bookware.com.au/cgi-bin/bookware/9780141199603
>>
File: (.jpg (69KB, 400x436px) Image search: [Google]
(.jpg
69KB, 400x436px
>buy kindle
>libgen is getting taken down
>>
>>7320351
No worries. I use it a fair bit. I think Amazon might be cheaper if you're buying bulk. Book depo usually take about 2 odd days to dispatch. Pic relating I am expecting Friday.
>>
>>7320357
Get into Bibliotik senpai
>>
>>7320356
Well shit. The book depository one also would have saved me a few dollars. Well, fuck using angusandrobertson.com anymore. Thank you, too, for letting me know about this website anon.
>>
>>7320362
nobody wants to invite me~
>>
>>7320331
I like that Moby dick cover my man
>>
>>7320331
>Xbox
lmao (laughing my ass off)
>>
>>7320371
It was either that one, or this one, which would have cost a lot more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171971802376?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I like the one I got though, it's much better in person than it is on the site.

>>7320373
I like it too, much better than I thought it'd be.

>>7320374
I like playing casual games sometimes.
>>
>>7320331
Feel your pain Oznon, Fishpond is also a great site to buy books from. Bookdepository is usually a little cheaper but its good to look around
>>
File: 1429038175235.jpg (20KB, 255x256px) Image search: [Google]
1429038175235.jpg
20KB, 255x256px
>>7320285
I used to buy 2-4 books a month. New, but mostly paperback, so it was relatively cheap.
A few years ago I got a Kindle, and I stopped buying physical books entirely. Ever since I got a Kindle I read a lot more books annually since it's much easier, faster, and more convenient to acquire them, and I get to read books I downloaded on a whim which I probably wouldn't have bought if I needed to spend 5-10 bucks on it.

Since I'm not an idiot, I don't buy e-books, I just download them for free, so I saved quite a lot of money over these past few years, even taking into account the initial cost of buying a Kindle.
I doubt I'll ever buy a physical book in my life ever again. I honestly can't imagine going back to physical books anymore. Only physical books I read these days are those I get as gifts.

>Are you ever less inclined to finish books?
I haven't noticed any difference in this regard, but I very, very rarely ever drop a book. Usually if I start reading it, I finish it. That hasn't changed.
>>
>>7320427
Thanks for letting me know about the site anon, will definitely check it out for future purchases.
>>
>>7320349
>>7320351

also Australian, also use bookdepo, a lot. would highly recommend it, only my local secondhand store beats it.
>>
Physical, but I have an older Kindle that I use some times.

You can get pretty much any book used hardcover for less than 10 dollars. If a book isn't worth that it isn't worth the time to read.
>>
>>7320357
There are like 15 mirrors, and if it gets taken down 10 more will pop up. All you will have to google is libgen reddit and find where the hydra sprouts.

and if for some reason that fails, there is always btdigg, mobilism, aaaaaaarg.fail, tuebl, and open calibre servers

>>7320362
>bibliotik for years
>tons of contributions
>banned for being part of a invite ring with no appeal

fuck bibliotik
>>
>>7321000
Its not the money but the space issue. My wife asked me to keep the book buying to a minimum and bought me a kindle because they outgrew our library and have started stacking.

If >>7321011all those digital sources fail i may just go to the library request way again.
>>
>>7320285
I read everything I can online for free. The only books I buy are more rare ones or ones I will read so many times they're worth having the copy around
>>
Mostly digital.

I still buy some books but I limit it to books that I will reread or reference somewhat often.

I read a lot more now that I went digital. I like to read in bed and my girlfriend would always complain about the lamp by the bed so now I don't have to deal with that anymore.
>>
Kindle paperwhite masterrace. currently $90 on amazon. Got it a few days ago and have downloaded about 450 books by my fav authors off of pirate bay and then converted them to mobi with calibre. Feels good man.
>>
All physical, excluding stuff like looking up short stories on the internet. Most of my books are either $1 at local stores or ~$5 on places like Better World Books. I splurge sometimes - spent $500 at mcsweeneys yesterday for what will be a massive box of stuff.

I make very little money but the price doesn't concern me. $1-5 and anything more as a treat really isn't too big of a cost of entry for a whole book. I can't enjoy digital.
>>
>>7321037
You should convert to azw3, its a "purer" conversion, basically epub, and .mobi has given my kindle touch a problem for years.
>>
>>7321074
cause kindle is shit. Kobo is the true masterrace
>>
Reading on an e-reader just doesn't feel right imo. I just can't do it.
>>
Physical copies are so much better. Reading is a far more rewarding experience if you're interacting with the book by writing your thoughts and notes in the margins.
>>
>>7321156
>tfw my mother taught me it was almost a sin to write in books
>tfw I recently yelled at my daughter for doing the same thing
>>
>>7321189

Not him but I do that. Whenever they hit the archives I print them out and bind them.
>>
>>7321156
>literally ruining a book by writing on it

What's wrong with you?
>>
Digital for 3.5 years now, prior to that I read borrowed books from the library.

Now it's strictly digital and I buy physical books off Amazon if I can't find the digital copy.

I don't care about having a fucking book shelve at home.
>>
For me it depends on the book. Most of the time I read digital. Sometimes I finish it but sometimes I may get something I know I will enjoy in physical or a book I particularly enjoyed and will likely reread in the future. But if I do buy a physical copy on a whim I am more inclined to see it to the end obviously.
>>
I always buy used because their cheaper, and I can chose the edition I want online. Copies range from $3 for common books to $15 for hard to find ones.

I typically spend about $8 a month on books.
>>
>>7322406

not that guy. I do it in my phi books sometimes. It's my copy.
>>
I read both. All that matters to me is text, I don't give a shit how my information is obtained, and anyone who bitches about e-readers is a fucking retard and cares less about books and more about looking cool.

I can understand not wanting to read on an LCD backlit screen, but e-ink looks almost exactly like a book and it's just as easy on the eyes. It's also easy to just download a book in a few seconds rather than placing a hold, waiting 2 months, driving to my library, and picking up some grimy book that someone decided to sneeze in and use to wipe his boogers while he was sick.
>>
>>7321192
Is there any other way to browse?
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.