[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you given up on meeting other readers in real life? Every

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 22

File: 1278259947662.jpg (98KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1278259947662.jpg
98KB, 600x900px
Have you given up on meeting other readers in real life? Every time I meet a "reader" they are nothing more than a memer;

>"yeah I love to read! twilight is my favorite series!"
>"yep I love harry potter :)"

I resist the urge to kill myself every day. I swear to christ, less than 1% of humanity reads actual books.
>>
>>7319661
shut up and go to college or hang out at a bookstore you loser
>>
>>7319663
I go to college at an ivy league. I've never met a single non-memer.
>>
>>7319688
>an Ivy League
Cornell confirmed
>>
>>7319661
I try to be around people similar to myself as little as possible because I honestly think I am an unpleasant person.
>>
File: tumblr_m9mhj7hUtl1qggdq1.jpg (27KB, 500x525px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m9mhj7hUtl1qggdq1.jpg
27KB, 500x525px
>it's another "forever alone" /lit/ edition thread
>the worthless janitor is nowhere to be found
>I consider directing the obviously underage OP to /r9k/ but think better of it and hide the thread.
>beethoven's 3rd symphony starts playing.
>>
>>7319661
>le patrician face xd
>>
I live in Alabama and my last two girlfriends have been more into reading than me. I met the girl I'm with right now because she was reading George Saunders on the other side of the room in a college class and I walked over and told her we needed to stick together in this world of peasants.

if I can do it in alabama you can do it anywhere
>>
File: bookshelfsteps.jpg (42KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
bookshelfsteps.jpg
42KB, 500x372px
>>7319661
>graduate student in English
>most classmates don't give a shit about the classics or really complex lit
>they talk about Doctor Who, fantasy, Harry Potter, or comics most of the time outside of lecture

I teach at the college level now and at least it's clear that most of my coworkers are dedicated to literature (or at least obtaining tenure). I was teaching Byron and Shelley the other day and discussing Intellectual Beauty and in general getting really fucking excited about how they portray the perception of the true artist. Most of my students didn't give a shit, but it's really that feeling of absolute excitement over content and context in literature that I wish I could find in other people.

In general, people who are educated and passionate in their field are wonderful people.
>>
Reading is a solitary activity.
>>
>>7319661
A close friend I met working as a dishwasher of all things is my literature friend. I've long since given up on finding others with shared tastes on campus as the humanities department is full to the brim with empty headed "intelligentsia".
>>
>>7319734
is Byron > < or = Wordsworth
>>
I live in D.C. and there's a cafe here called Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe, it's right up on Dupont Circle where the yuppie residences and the financial district intersect. It sounds pretentious but I went there, there were THOUSANDS of books, there were literary journals for sale, there was a cafe in the back, there were different sections for drama philosophy biography Latin-America and not meme picks either. I was so humbled as I entered that store. So much that my first thoughts were, "Goddamnit how does someone read all these novels"
>>
>>7319688
get into writing classes or track down the resident writers or whatever they do. there will be some people who are about that life
>>
>>7319661
that's pretty much my experience too, with the occasional fedora who likes mostly science fiction but claims to like writers like joyce and faulkner even though he can't form a coherent thought about them
>>
>>7319734
I've been trying to read poetry and really hate it. Any tips?
>>
>>7319752
read people who correspond to what you like

like romantic authors?
romantic poets

modernist?
Yeats is for you

etc
>>
>>7319661
im doing a science degree currently. the following is a real conversation

me: so what's your major?
person: creative writing at the moment
me: oh so do you have a favourite author or book?
them: uhhh haha im re-reading harry potter at the moment... probably my favourite book
>>
>>7319738
funnily enough I work as a dishwasher - at a cafe-cum-bookstore - and the only person i've met irl who's as passionate about literature as me (aside from profs) is a fellow dishwasher. it's funny, at these hipster parties people make loud contentions about Gatsby or Ulysses that make it obvious they haven't read it, or even read a back cover probably, but once you tell people you're working minimum wage at a shitty store your opinions get discounted, like you couldn't possibly be able to get through Swann's Way or Man Without Qualities (not that anyone has heard of the latter) or w/e

it would annoy me if i wasn't inured to peoples meretricious 'look-at-me-i'm-an-intellectshul' schtick
>>
>>7319754
specifically have trouble reading the Romantic poets. I think my problem is that I read prose very visually and that transferring over to poetry does not work. I can do some of the modernist stuff which is more imaged based and anything dramatic/narrative.
>>
>>7319723
Are you me?
>>
Op there's no way you're at an ivy and you can't find people that want to talk about this stuff; I go to one and every literature / philosophy class I have been in has been an incredibly rewarding experience, because even if it's not their major or particular interest, these kids are bent on reaping intellectual discourse from the the concepts of the class. And that's incredibly valuable
>>
>>7319782
Cathay translations by Ezra Pound is GOAT and the only translated poetry I would ever recommend. W.S. Merwin is best American poet desu senpai.
>>
I know you're lying because no one (not a single person, not even one) likes Twilight anymore. Not little girls. Not mom's. And definitely not college girls. This would have been believable if you had mentioned a more hip and in YA series.
>>
>>7319782
have you tried Basho et al? the inflection of imagery with hinted narrative is incredibly poignant and I found it a good primer for the Romantics -- not that he's not wonderful in his own right
>>
Yea, I feel that way but I still have to desperately try and reach out for some connection or I'll die of loneliness. Wish I knew more English graduate type people, the few I've met are really well read, even if it's just in their speciality.

Just met a hot guy who studied Greek and knew it all, inside out, more than me and I started with the greeks. Wish I made a move on him even if he was way out of my league.
>>
>>7319661
I regularly hold casual conversation about Dostoevsky and the Corpus Aristotelicum with other members of the marching band at a middling SEC university. You're not looking hard enough if you can't find readers at an Ivy. Try going to club meetings with a small paperback in the pocket of a heavy winter coat. It sparks conversation easily. A copy of Lolita poking out of my backpack is how I met my current girlfriend.
>>
File: 1444022925409.jpg (40KB, 329x399px) Image search: [Google]
1444022925409.jpg
40KB, 329x399px
>>7319815
>>
>>7319800
awesome thanks. Any other recommendations? I've enjoyed Eliot, Penn Warren, Frost
>>
>>7319735
No way?
>>
>>7319661
Wow, what country are you from? Even here in Guatemala, a third world underdeveloped shithole, most of my reader friends (not all of course, but most of them) like authors like Dostoyevsky, Camus, Kafka, Hemingway and so.
>>
>>7319741
They're hard to compare. Of course you'll find people going in both directions on who is the better poet. Wordsworth tends to be more eloquent in his control of poetic structure. I'm personally more a fan of Byron because I'm a sucker for his use of symbol.

(The more radical Shelley, Byron, and somewhat Keats collective does more for me than Coleridge and Wordsworth, though all of them are gifted poets.)

Byron's Childe Harold's Pilgrimage really speaks of the struggles of an individual and a generation so poignantly that I wouldn't care if his form wasn't "elevated" enough, and while it is almost painfully "Romantic," it comes along with the territory with that period of writing. That said, that's the poem that made Byron become famous overnight... and it was with just the first two Cantos... the last two are the true stars of the work.

>>7319752
>>7319782
Original /lit/izen here. With the Romantics, most of the poetry is hyper visual... it really was that way from the Romantics through the Victorian writers into the Modern. I'm just speaking directly from British Lit here obviously. The Romantics, there are some longer narrative poems, but there's a hell of a lot of shorter works. Their stuff is easier to grasp, overall, than say the Metaphysical poets and some of the satirical poetry of the Restoration... I'd say the only real complexity comes from not having a good background in Greek mythology or being able to perhaps relate to their tendency to fall into "tortured soul" mode or "perfect artist experiencing nature" mode. I find it very difficult to express to students how to interpret the kooky artist-spirituality of the Romantics because it's supposed to be an experience that sort of goes beyond explanation.

The Romantics typically are either loved or hated by readers. Coleridge and Wordsworth pull less of that tortured artist shit in their writing, so you could try them... but honestly they're all pretty visual with only some narrative works at the time. The Romantic period in England was when poetry was the star of literature. So people wanted to showcase their poetry on the basis of theme and form... narrative sometimes but it was less important in most works. Now, you get to the Victorians, and because novels dominated those decades, the poets start getting heavier on narrative BUT still held onto the imagery of the Romantics. So maybe try Elizabeth Browning or Tennyson.
>>
>>7319759

are we seriously shitting on harry potter?

i know /lit/ is pretentious but this is kind of a whole new level.
>>
>>7319861
Not OP, but unfortunately most people go for YA novels or general easy, entertainment reads written within the last 40 years.

I have a few friends who read voraciously, but I have to literally shove a classic novel at them for them to read it. They're smart enough to grasp it, and yet, they'll just go re-read Harry Potter instead. Found out one friend read Fifty Shades of Gray, all of it, the other day and felt so perplexed about it.
>>
File: 1444371804580.png (552KB, 571x511px) Image search: [Google]
1444371804580.png
552KB, 571x511px
>>7319869
>>
>>7319732
>Alabama
Bro, where you at?
My time on /k/ has taught me that there way way more rural and small town guys on dialup connections to 4chan on this state than I would have believed.
>>
>>7319819
btw i'm a boy
>>
>>7319869
For a creative writing major, you hope they aspire above Harry Potter or are at least inspired as writers by something beyond YA. I saw it all the damn time as a grad student with a concentration in creative writing. Harry Potter is fun and all, but branching out to more complex books is how someone becomes a good writer. How many famous writers of the past WEREN'T well read?
>>
>>7319661
I was raised by a man with a PhD, then. went to a private school and a top university so this has never been a problem. Sorry plens.
>>
>>7319876
If you ever feel hated here, you can go to /co/, anon. We have gay threads all the time, generally talk about stories without being catty, and have a pretty good time.
>>
File: 1404448248397.jpg (44KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1404448248397.jpg
44KB, 480x360px
>>7319876
>>
>>7319869
http://www.theonion.com/video/adults-go-wild-over-latest-in-childrens-picture-bo-14388
>>
File: 1432690688907.jpg (48KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1432690688907.jpg
48KB, 600x450px
>>7319882
>>7319876
Satan has two pits with your names on them
>>
>>7319880
I have a similar situation, except that my dad studies alchemy. No shit, it's kind of crazy but he's pretty much a genius with chemistry in general and has a broad understanding of ancient esoteric writing. It's definitely influenced my writing and my interest in symbology and off-beat fiction writers.

We don't share an interest in reading fiction, but we have a lot of shit we talk about and it's partly why I've always been passionate about learning.

He can read shit like this... which was written by Sir Isaac Newton apparently.
>>
File: newton_manuscript416.jpg (124KB, 993x513px) Image search: [Google]
newton_manuscript416.jpg
124KB, 993x513px
>>7319898
Derp.
>>
>>7319880
did you just brag about your dad having a phd?
>>
>>7319886
>http://www.theonion.com/video/adults-go-wild-over-latest-in-childrens-picture-bo-14388
will use thanks
>>
>>7319732
>I walked over and told her we needed to stick together in this world of peasants.
haha
>>
>>7319732
I often wonder if it's worse in Alabama or here in Louisiana. I already know my state is better than the shithole that is Mississippi, but I always assume that Alabama, being close to Georgia, has some hope in the major cities of being less "dumb ass southern." I've driven through the northern part of Alabama a few times and it seemed okay I guess.
>>
>have some time in between classes
>not enough for a nap but enough to get some reading done
>decide to get some coffee
>read while drinking my coffee
>qt sits down at a table diagonally from me
>originally was going to have her back towards me
>switches so she faces me
>it's obvious she wants to get a good look at me
>finish my coffee
>put my book up and get up
>she looks at me and smiles
>I just cast a quick blank glance at her before I leave
I don't even know what came over me.
>>
>>7319926
ur mom came over u lol
>>
>>7319926
It's like you're one of the characters from your book, anon. Perhaps you're actually a character in a John Green novel, which may be worrisome.
>>
>>7319877
I'm in a book club that also does some creative writing. Its pretty cringy to see all of the English majors in the club are just hoping to write the next HP or Got. Each submission is some fantasy world with shitty cliched characters, but they think they are so deep for writing schlock.

>>7319661
In my years at uni I've met two guys actually interested in lit. We went to a half price books and had a fucking blast. Just keep on reading and bringing it up in conversation, eventually you'll find someone. I'd probably steer clear of the English undergrads though.
>>
>>7319907
Oh god so sorry for mentioning anything nice on 4chan. I'll say a dozen REEEs and a dozen Normies Go before bed tonight.
>>
>>7319931
>It's like you're one of the characters from your book, anon.
Sir Gawain did stuff like that on purpose, my mind just blanked on accident.
>>
>>7319688
Well, at least you didn't say Oxford...
>>
>>7319663

baka desu senpai
>>
>>7319951
what's the wordfilter for baka?
>>
>>7319926
>tfw so demoralized by a lifetime of striking out with girls that you don't even consider talking to them anymore
My mom has heard all of my fuckups and as of yesterday is still convinced that I can get a girlfriend whenever I want, but am simply "too lazy."

>girl watches you as you read
>actively ensure you never make eye contact
>relieved when she leaves
>>
File: 1444623201582.jpg (581KB, 2764x2064px) Image search: [Google]
1444623201582.jpg
581KB, 2764x2064px
>>7319926
>>7319976
>tfw this has never happened to me
>>
>>7320156
I honestly thought it was just some meme that was always posted until it happened to,
>>
>>7319661
This place really needs a website of contacts or something so you fools can find each other instead of wailing into an anonymous message board.
>>
File: blahh.jpg (23KB, 490x360px) Image search: [Google]
blahh.jpg
23KB, 490x360px
>>7319734
I am currently studying English adolescent ed/ Literature at a SUNY School and it is painful to see how some of my peers react in class. I am not the most well-read guy in the world, but I can admit it.

If it is not Toni Morrison or a topics course on a pop. writer, people do not discuss in class at all. I took Shakespeare and the conversation was nil. I had a friend who did not submit sources for a major research paper and he still received a great grade in the course. I'm taking YA science fiction where we read CHILDRENS books, yet most of them will sit silently as two or three kids engage the professor, it is a class filled with pre-service teachers too. If you can't speak up in a classroom setting now, what are you going to do with a room filled with hormone fulled teenagers. At least google the book before class to look like your engaged! God damn.
>>
>>7319926
Ever notice how if you don't masturbate for a week every girl boosts in attractiveness like tenfold? I think your story is the equivalent of that except for when you abstain from common human interaction.
>>
File: IMG_9559.jpg (85KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9559.jpg
85KB, 1024x576px
>>7320202
>tfw I'm the guy who doesn't speak up
I want too, I read the texts, but I just can't and I don't know why.
>>
>>7319888
Someone hasn't had a good dicking ;3
>>
File: 1435321585454.jpg (776KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1435321585454.jpg
776KB, 1680x1050px
>>7320211
That's fine, as long as your not trying to be a teacher. People have anxiety in the classroom and it can stem from shitty teachers who made conversing in class a competition. In my observations of middle school/ high school classes, some teachers are downright abusive to there students. Taking in class should be a way to share ideas with the class and your professor. As a side note, what could a teacher do to make you more comfortable in class? If you are on this board you must feel like you have a lot to share about literature. If you do the reading you are ahead of 50% of your classmates at least.
>>
>>7319661
you dumbass syou should try to meet nonreaders and turn them into readers, nothing hits harder than the first time you do it rush

or, find readers that no longer read and get them back into readers
>>
>>7320210
I had a gf at the time, even though I didn't love her anymore, but that's a different story altogether.
>>
>>7319880
was this man your father or simply a man with a PhD who scooped you up out of the gutter because he simply could, he has a PhD.
>>
Readers are overrated. I've met a lot of people that read, they're often super pretentious or just as boring as any other chuckle fuck you are likely to meet.
>>
>>7319869
how can you rationalize a creative writing major's favorite book being harry potter?
would you want to read what they write, if they aspire to jk rowling-dom?
>>
>>7319661
>mfw living in Berkeley, VS
>many readers, often meet people who enjoy the same books
>exchangeable names on slips of paper
>>
>>7320868
Fuck spell check
Obviously that is *CA and *exchange
>>
>>7319924 I'm from bumfuck Louisiana, where you at desu senpai?
>>
>>7319956
S.mh
>>
kek baka senpai desu tbqh
>>
>>7319732
>>7319924
I have a few friends here in Tennessee who read, but for the most part people just get confused when I tell them I read. It's like they can't see any reason or purpose to such an activity. I guess they're to busy worrying about keeping their temp job at amazon, or something like that.
>>
>>7319938
Hey if Stephanie Meyer and the 50 Shades bitch can do it... Eragon is another example of a cliche mess that still made piles of money. No accounting for taste.
>>
In my whole life I've met one person that reads, he likes Poe, like to the death. Fuck's sake. But on the upside now there's a plethora of people getting hip with anime, they all like Attack on the Titan. Whatever, plebs everywhere. And people don't watch any films at all either, fucking Avengers. At least I have you /lit/. :(
>>
>>7320202
>>7320211
Well shit I saw that in graduate school in a class of 10-15 people.

I'm actually painfully introverted, but it's the sort of introversion that Johnny Depp must have that makes him a mumbling awkward mess in interviews but confident while acting. It's like savant introversion... I can't make small talk with my coworkers without stressing but when I teach I am a fucking confident beast. I'm 32 and still can't handle a simple one-on-one conversation with people I don't know well, but lecturing is entirely different.

So in graduate school, I was already teaching, and I'd see people deathly afraid of presenting something for 5-10 minutes was like, shit really? Once you do it enough, most people will eventually realize talking in front of people isn't a big deal. Some are crippled in all situations though... knew one girl so painfully awkward in grad school that she always sounded winded when she spoke during class and she started hyperventilating during her presentation and ran out the class sobbing.
>>
>>7320846
Yeah but even Rowling read mythology and shit to come up with her ideas. If you read just Rowling primarily, you'll just hack all of her ideas instead of being inspired by other sources to do something original in the same genre.
>>
>>7321622
Southeast,... Northshore area just between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. You?
>>
>>7322696
At least they aren't hooked on Michael Bay? I'll never get why AoT is so popular. There's 90% action and 10% character development. Even shit like Naruto built up their characters more.

>>7322641
Shit don't even waste your time on people who see no value in reading at all. The statistics of people who never read an entire book for decades of their adult life is disturbing. The number of college graduates is staggeringly high for that too... obviously not English majors.
>>
where to meet cute, semi-autistic girls with distinctive taste?
>>
>>7319898
>>7319902
Is there any value in studying that? It looks pretty damn interesting.
>>
>>7322746
EDM shows
>>
>>7322746
I recommend Melbourne.
>>
>>7322746
Boston/Cambridge. Lots of college students and graduate students plus a smattering of artists.

>>7322765
This, for better or worse. Most girls go out with friends and EDM shows attract a mix of worthless club sluts and normal college girls
>inb4 no difference
>>
File: Lion-eating-sun.jpg (211KB, 983x971px) Image search: [Google]
Lion-eating-sun.jpg
211KB, 983x971px
>>7322764
Dunno. My dad could explain a lot of the symbology behind work done by writers like Blake and Yeats who were both into the occult.

Otherwise, my dad never attempted to turn lead into gold to my knowledge. It seemed to fulfill him for decades, and he did some neat shit that I can't really explain because I'm no expert, but at the very least, the symbolic imagery is so unique and captivating that it holds my interest as an outsider. For anyone who is interested in Chemistry, this predated it and Chemistry probably would not have become a legit science for years without the work of the Alchemists.
>>
File: Satre.jpg (627KB, 1098x1425px) Image search: [Google]
Satre.jpg
627KB, 1098x1425px
>>7319661
I grew up barely seeing my father (divorced) but we both took an interest in literature. He's really well read and quite a collector. We have great discussions when we meet up every now and then. Maybe it's in the genes.
>>
>>7322817
This is legit dank. What is up with the pic? Google translate is no good.
>>
>>7319787
baka
>>
>>7322746
>searching for male virtues in women

don't do this. find a girl who is attractive and has a pleasant personality. if you want people to talk to about literature etc and to be impressed by their tastes and opinions, find male friends.
>>
>>7322959
100% this. Too many guys are looking for a unicorn. They don't exist.
>>
>>7322959
I hate how true this is. I've been with beautiful girls who were legitimately super smart but they were all crazy.

It's the old triangle theory, that the best you can actually hope for is a woman who is two of the following three: hot, smart, and/or crazy. You can never have all three.
>>
File: 1355788379.jpg (341KB, 680x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1355788379.jpg
341KB, 680x1024px
>tfw no qt 3.14 who reads and is pretty but not slutty

I know she doesn't exist but still it haunts me.
>>
File: cosplayyellowhunter.jpg (56KB, 335x475px) Image search: [Google]
cosplayyellowhunter.jpg
56KB, 335x475px
>>7322959
That feel when want to comment but will get the usual response.
>>
File: burgerpants.png (8KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
burgerpants.png
8KB, 236x236px
>>7323036
I know a girl like that. She's short, chubby and reads bullshit like Twilight "but not because it's popular". She doesn't believe in love and hates me because I banged her best friend.
>>
>>7322985
>Physically attractive
>Intelligent
>Emotionally stable

>Pick two

Fixed for you.
>>
File: B96LvvKCUAAKcMs.jpg (61KB, 600x576px) Image search: [Google]
B96LvvKCUAAKcMs.jpg
61KB, 600x576px
>>7322959
What are "male virtues", as in, what human virtue could be claimed exclusively by all males regardless of their rearing and environment? And why do you defend your poisonous attitudes about women when it's clear that such a self-perpetuating cycle of prejudice works against the well-being of society?

It exasperates me to post on /lit/ knowing that just stating my gender in a gender-related discussion will cause some people to accuse me of seeking attention. However, it's relevant in this case because I want to refute the supposed inferior nature of women that so many anons defend. The crucial point is that gender roles are social constructs perpetuated by custom and bitterness against women caused by harmful concepts of masculinity which forbid men from expressing their emotions. If we just start reforming or ignoring institutions that promote gender stereotypes, like the popular media and sports sectors, it will go a long way towards healing the relationship between the sexes in America.

As a child, I was sheltered without notions of gender roles, so I was always egalitarian in my assessment of the world. Now, I see that men and women are biologically compatible yet socially estranged. My understanding is that women are outsiders as regards intellectual discussion, and androcentric concepts of masculinity espoused in such circles deny men the ability to befriend women. My male friend has told me that this happens because many men just don't like people who are "lazy, weak, and stupid", and that men tend to prejudge all women as belonging to that group as women are perceived to show more collective personality than men. Still, the fact is that anyone who is raised with a good work ethic can succeed, male or female. It's silly and probably self-pitying to suggest that women are NEVER! COMPETENT! EVER! WAAA! because it's a self-defense mechanism against male feelings of alienation (which are totally normal and should be dealt with by becoming more involved with the community and one's self-development).

As for me personally, I know I am unable to control the prejudices that people hold against me. However, I worry that men's and women's misconceptions about gender identity are preventing BOTH genders from succeeding in the work place. I am sure /lit/ will understand why it's so urgent to drop misogyny as a "fashionable" social statement. Both sides need to quit yelling and discuss ways to solve the nation's problems.
>>
>>7323036
Date a girl in grad school for English or another language's literature? Most are crazy, some are basically what you described though.
>>
>>7323192
I hope that you step back from this post and realize that you're throwing an elongated tantrum with no particular point and very little, if any, understanding of the text or context of the post that you're addressing.

Subdue your fee-fees and try to be articulate next time.
>>
>>7322766
ayyyy
>>
>>7323192
Calm down, it's okay. Getting tackled for just admitting to having a second X chromosome says more about the poster than the one who posts. It still bugs me a tad, but it's so painfully predictable and pathetic that some guys get a high from taking down the "attention whore" who most likely is just adding insight that will make more sense if they acknowledge their gender.

On the flipside, I'd love to meet a well-read man, but it seems that most end up being pretentious assholes who just want their egos stroked... and apparently some think I can't actually exist. I get strange looks for admitting that I think some of the best western poetry is the carnage depicted throughout the Iliad. Sorry, some bookish girls don't worship Jane Austen and the Brontes and instead prefer epic works or social satire or surreal postmodern.
>>
File: 1438516544001.jpg (128KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1438516544001.jpg
128KB, 1440x810px
>>7323232
>I get strange looks for admitting that I think some of the best western poetry is the carnage depicted throughout the Iliad.
>>
>>7322641
Don't know what part you're in but here in East TN a lot of people can't even read. Lowest literacy rates in the country.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs.
>>
>>7323265
How the shit does that even happen in America today!?
>>
File: fight-club.png (1MB, 867x669px) Image search: [Google]
fight-club.png
1MB, 867x669px
>>7323192
>just stating my gender in a gender-related discussion will cause some people to accuse me of seeking attention
That's because men don't state their gender (Nobody would give a shit anyway because men don't have inherent social value, only their accomplishments have value)..

Let's be clear, most /lit/ posters are not "average" individuals, many of them are exceptional to some degree. Men are biologically predisposed to deviation from the mean. That means, more men are retards and more men are geniuses. /lit/ posters lean towards the latter and substantially less geniuses will be women.

Describing reality is not misogyny.
>>
File: iq.gif (17KB, 650x363px) Image search: [Google]
iq.gif
17KB, 650x363px
>>7323289
Something like this.
>>
>>7319661
>"yeah I love to read! The Vedas are my favorite series!"
>"yep I love Ulysses :)"

wow so great
>>
>>7323289
>I'm a guy btw

Holy shit, I have never read those words. You're right. Women really are attention seeking whores...all along...
>>
>>7323313
They are. 99% of the time it's completely irrelevant to the discussion. Men never bring up their gender because it's fucking irrelevant to most interesting topics.
>>
>>7323289

How fucking detached from reality are you? The amount of women on any 4chan board is <30% (maybe except the cosplay one for obvious reasons). If you honestly think /lit/ is some bastion of the intelligentsia you're either retarded or attempting to justify the amount of time you waste on this site rather than doing anything productive.
>>
>>7323232
your post comes off as you having a me-against-the-world attitude. do you not see this?
>>
>>7323323
Absolutely not an argument; merely a string of ad hominems. If you've got nothing constructive to say, then don't bother.
>>
>>7323289
In your words, "reality" is the causal relationship between the belief that "men have no inherent social value" (i.e. their abstention from mentioning their gender in their posts) and their revulsion to those who mention their gender in their posts -- the link between those two ends being the belief that gender should never be relevant to a post because the majority of posters are men who are valued solely for their accomplishments. Thus, you're saying that my mentioning my gender in the previous post was akin to me saying, "I'm a pretty snowflake who is above all the posters on /lit/"; an unwelcome detail that should have been disregarded in favor of a simple opinion on gender relations. The problem is that, had I left out my gender, my insight would have been without context. In fact, my post was merely "describing reality" in the context through which I experienced it. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
File: 37841-sakura_kinomoto_7.jpg (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
37841-sakura_kinomoto_7.jpg
70KB, 640x480px
you're surrounded by (basic) teens or just talking with wrong people.
>>
>>7319661
You honesty want to kill yourself because other people don't like the same books as you?
>>
>>7319759

I'm studying science too, I've done a couple of creative writing subjects as electives and I've always been the most well read kid there.

It's not that they love harry potter or anything dumb, just that they read one book by marquez or murakami or something and talk about it in every class. One girl said she loved postmodernism because she liked lolita and slaughterhouse five.

The thing that has annoyed me the most though is not their taste in literature but their approach to writing. Most of them straight up say that they just get an idea into their head and just write it down in one go and refuse to edit because it limits their expression or something. someone will often say something like 'i just like this story, i think trying to analyse it or make this a metaphor will ruin it'. it's bizarre. i don't understand why you'd even study creative writing at university if that's how you feel.

while workshopping a piece i wrote one girl said that she was confused about the bit where the narrator changed. i asked what she meant and she said 'well bill is telling the story at the start, but then towards the end the narrator switches to emily'. the piece was written in the third person. shit, that was weird
>>
>>7319949
Oxford has people who like meme-series (GoT, etc), but they definitely aren't pure memers in the sense OP describes.
>>
>>7322702
>I'm actually painfully introverted, but it's the sort of introversion that Johnny Depp must have that makes him a mumbling awkward mess in interviews but confident while acting. It's like savant introversion... I can't make small talk with my coworkers without stressing but when I teach I am a fucking confident beast. I'm 32 and still can't handle a simple one-on-one conversation with people I don't know well, but lecturing is entirely different.

This is an interesting way to phrase it. I'm the same way-- complete autist who can't even look people in the eye in normal conversation, but when it comes to public speaking I get tons of earnest comments on how good I am.

It's almost like being an autist 'outside' the realm of interaction gives you insight into 'acting' like you know what you're doing.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.