[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Currently sitting in lecture >listening to communist professor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: IM.jpg (6KB, 181x278px) Image search: [Google]
IM.jpg
6KB, 181x278px
>Currently sitting in lecture
>listening to communist professor tell me about Ellison's Invisible Man and white appropriation even though he went to Brown and drives a bmw
>realize that I myself am white as fuck

How does one truly immerse themselves in work that they themselves have trouble relating to. Im not trying to be an SJW, but I really do want to know how you write on and experience literature from the fringes of society when you are an @tumblr cis white male
>>
We're all human at the end of the day I'm so sick of sjws acting like minorities are from another planet
>>
>>7317057
I disagree with you on that. I think that examining literature from a "we are all the same" perspective is limiting.
>>
>>7317057
This. I don't see why white readers should have any difficulty connecting wirh invisible man. Sure the specific experiences of the protagonist are pretty far removed from the experiences of a white person in the 21st century, but underlying the narrative are universal truths regarding alienation and the nature of identity.
>>
>black people aren't allowed to be educated and drive cars
sounds like the board you wanted was >>>/his/
>>
>>7317068
I think reading from a "we are not all the same" perspective is limiting, too
>>
one of the reasons i read books is to understand and empathise with different types of people. that's what great writing can do, it can make a very different person to you feel equally real and interesting and make you care about things that have no bearing on your actual life. you get immersed in their story rather than your own.
i don't have anything in common with russian aristocrats or 19th century whalers either.
>>
>>7317041
im black
couldnt get into this shit either
just imagine reading... notes from the underground or something like that with a bunch of bullshit about the Harlem renaissance baked into it
knowing some "black" things about the era or reading opinions or letters from people like W. E. B. Dubois and Booker T Washington could help too
>>
File: Invisible Man enjoyed.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Invisible Man enjoyed.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
It's a fucking classic.

Fuck your Catcher in the Rye
>>
i dont know how to immerse yourself, but that is one damn fine book.
>>
>>7317742
your homework for tonight is to re-read.
>>
The typeface on the cover is Helvetica.
>>
>>7317068

We aren't all the same but you can't just separate it by color. I'm poor white trash from Appalachia. I probably have more in common with poor blacks than I do with rich whites.

I don't really look for books that have some connection to my life though.
>>
>>7320033
You used typeface instead of font. I think I love you.
>>
this book is great
>>
You could try pulling your head out of your ass a little bit and think about how other people who's contextual circumstances are different than yours relate to things.
>>
It's nice how white leftists have been using black pepper for feel good points then and now.
>>
>>7323259
This. You're a retard, OP.
>>
>>7317041

You can write whatever you want

You can read whatever you want

you don't owe these sjw cunts anything
>>
Invisible Man isn't even reflective of the kind of thing the /pol/tards on here complain about.

Dude in the book doesn't identify with the black nationalists, with the communists, or with what the white discourse considers him to be. He simply considers himself to be a singularity, as something beyond all categories of social existence that limit identity to a set of concepts.

He is "invisible" in the sense that no one (not whites, not the other blacks he runs across) can consider him to be a point of infinity, a vector that can swallow all signification and surpass it.
>>
File: wow.jpg (48KB, 702x1053px) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
48KB, 702x1053px
FUCKKKKKK SSSSSSSSSJJJJJJJJJJJJJWWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSS

Honestly though, this is the best thing to happen for all the ubermensch fuccboi's out there
>>
>>7323299
snowflake?
>>
I don't see how this isn't more popular on 4chan. It's redpilled as fuck, he hates normies, and it's anti SJW
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.