[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think authors are compensated rightly these days? Average

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

Do you think authors are compensated rightly these days?

Average prices by edition
>hardcover $22
>paperback $14
>digital edition $14
Sales volume by edition
>paperback: 50% of the total copies
>hardcover: 25%
>digital: 25%
Average royalty rates: 15%
Average agent fees: 15% of your royalties
(28+22+14)/4*0.13(1-0.15)=2.04

You get roughly 2 bucks per each copy your book sells.

t. a worker at a publisher
>>
No. Especially considering that most authors are dead now. The contemporary writers are still getting raped. You have to figure out a way to make money outside of the actual craft. Sort of like YouTube. You can't rely on views for revenue. You have to use those views to generate it via merch, movie deals, products, talks, guest work, etc.
>>
>>7316255
>YouTube
I heard you get $4 per 1,000 views. Is that correct?
>>
>>7316224
that is why you self publish once you've made your breakout

musicians do it all the time. they release one good album and get cúcked by the publishers, then start their own record label and release the rest of their albums via that
>>
I'm a mildly successful (reviewed in national press and won a minor award for debut novel) author in the UK. My life is utterly depressing. I work part-time as a book reviewer (agents often negotiate this sort of gig) and I barely earn a living as things are going. I've been on two book tours this year for the same book, and each time I have to drive to each venue myself and either sleep in my during the summer or pay for my own holiday inn room when it's too cold. I estimate I've earned around £9k this year all together, that's with doing numerous readings, signings, comperes, judging several short story competitions and receiving a cultural grant. There is zero PTAP involved in this game unless you're a well-known figure raking in the big bucks. I have three novels published at this point and when I mentioned to my agent that I have plans for another he reacted with a sort of pitying encouragement. I'm honestly tempted to throw in the towel and work at a call centre full time.
>>
>>7316293
I refuse to believe this is not a troll post.
>>
>>7316296
Why?
>>
>>7316224
Yes. If people thought that books were more valuable they would pay more. But they don't.
>>
>>7316224
>>>biz
>>
>>7316224
>15% royalties on digital distribution
That's just exploitation
>>
No because Wade Guyton typed out the letter U with a picture of fire on some linen and sold it for $3 million
>>
>>7316282
Lol no.
>>
>>7316282
Try $.04
>>
What should be done differently? It's not like authors have a gun pointed to their heads at signing.

If they feel like they got fucked in some way, they should have done a better job negotiating.
>>
>>7316293
>in the UK
Found your problem. Nothing nice happens in the UK.
>>
>>7316293
The most sepressive part about this for me is that although I know my life may end up like this, I will still take the risk.
>>
>>7316797
I bet you're no older than 22.

Once you leave college and begin to feel the pressures of post-youth life I guarantee you won't treat poverty in such a romantic way.
>>
>>7316293
What's PTAP?
>>
>>7316807
When I graduate from university and get rejected a thousand times I'll think about it.
>>
Seems fairly reasonable. You sell 5,000 copies and you made $10,000. Win at least one prize and that's $5000. Let's say you got a $10,000 advance. $100 a pop for each reading and you do 20 that's $2000. If it's good enough you can get it optioned for a film you might get $1000 for nothing. Then you get a residency that comes with office space a $3000 yearly stipend.

That's $31,000 a year and really all that requires is that you are just moderately successful. That's a year you get published though. So you'd need to make up for it in other years by writing articles ($3-400 for a feature) and teaching writing. Maybe doing some editing as well.

If you want to be a writer you need to accept you are going to make shit money, but frankly you did the most worthless part of the entire book selling gig. You didn't print it, stock it, shelve it, promote it, or publish it. You get all the prize money if it's good.

Lemme guess, you though you were going to write for 15 hours a week for a year, publish two books and then retire? Fuck off you lazy twit.
>>
>>7316293

I make more than you working part-time hours writing shitty ebooks. Do some work you fucking tramp. You don't even earn enough to pay tax. You're not mildly successful.
>>
>>7316296
Most faggots attempting literature never win any kind of award nor get their stuff published. That anon is one "successful" writer.
>>
>>7316810
PRIME
>>
>>7316224
This is an economic issue. Take it to /biz/

>>>/biz/

Sincerely, Desu Senpai Police
>>
>>7317017
angry philosofaggot detected
>>
>>7317017
>This is an economic issue. Take it to /biz/
This is not unrelated to literature. It is about how literary endeavors are compensated. Remove yourself faggot. No one likes your pretentious, pedantic ass.
>>
>>7317042
Why would I be angry if I am on the right side of history?
>>
>>7316301

Because he doesn't give the title to his work.
>>
>>7316848
>writing shitty ebooks

like there's any money in that?

is there...?
>>
>>7317429
One girl in Turkey made a shitty book in wattpad and now its second book is being published. It's popular among teenage girls I think.
>>
>>7317429
It's for hire outsourced stuff like writing instruction manuals, cookbooks, even ghostwriting for shit novels. How much money you can make depends on wise job choice and planning/writing efficiency.
>>
>>7316293
tell us the name of the book and we can buy copies out of pity then you can maybe afford a happy meal
>>
Books are still extremely fair when you compare it to music for example.
Holy shit it's literally impossible to make a living by selling music.
>>
>>7316282
Less. But I don't think they should get paid at all.
>>
>>7320562
>Holy shit it's literally impossible to make a living by selling music.
If you suck or can't go on tour, maybe.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.