[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does this get any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Manchild.jpg (382KB, 1131x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Manchild.jpg
382KB, 1131x1600px
I picked it up after endless knobslobbering from peers, just to see what it's all about. Almost a hundred pages in and I've only barely cracked a smile at one or two of the comedic moments, but it's been like walking through sludge otherwise. I'm only reading for hope beyond hope that Autism-incarnate kills himself or something. Should I even bother?
>>
>>7315797
Actually he fucks some hot beatnik chick and gets a job
>>
honestly if you didn't laugh when he jacked off thinking about his dead dog there's no hope for you
>>
>>7315812
That was Chris Chan, not Ignatius
>>
>>7315819
actually it's a good historical account of new orleans during the 60s, so indeed could go on /his/
>>
>>7315825
Also the author is dead and the book is now a historical artifact
>>
>>7315812
That was one of the parts I actually smirked at, but honestly the humor in general just doesn't get me the right way. Like, I get I'm supposed to laugh about Mancuso wearing all these different outfits, but I can't even bear to draw any emotion to it at all.
>>
File: sensiblechuckle.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
sensiblechuckle.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>>7315797
Yes.
It really is legitimately timeless, and although I only full-out knee slapping laughed once the humor was clever enough that I chuckled throughout and by the end I considered it one of my favorite books.
It does build up to a pretty great crescendo, though. Highly recommend you finish it, after all, it's pretty short anyways.
>>
>>7315883
>saying it is timeless like I wont redirect you to /his/ or something if you do

Nice try senpai

>>>/his/
>>
>>7315883

I'll probably give it another good 50 pages or so tomorrow just to see if it's just a state of mind thing or that it's legitimately just not my type of read. The one character I really want to know more about is the bar owner, crazy Nazi lady seems like she's making moves.
>>
>>7315894
I respect your shitposting since I think you're protesting something, but why this thread in particular?
There's plenty of threads on this board that would actually benefit from so fine a shitposter as yourself.
>>7315754
>>7314233
>>
>>7315911

>Any semblance of actual protesting
>Anime image board

...Sometimes a shitpost is just a shitpost.
>>
>>7315908
I'd say give it until the conclusion of Ignatius' job at the Levy Pants factory.
It gets pretty nicely absurd in that sort of Seinfeld way, where a chain of normal events eventually build up to something utterly ridiculous, but with enough context to make it actually funny and not just "lolrandum humor"

I think it strikes such a cord with /lit/ fags because for them it's like standing in a funhouse mirror and seeing a complete parody of themselves, who does all the things that I'm pretty sure every young or inexperienced /lit/ fag either does or fears he will become. A 30 something NEET living with his mother and banking on shit writing he thinks is great rather than an actual job.
>>
>>7315911
I already hit one of those threads
>>
>>7315797
you sir, have no taste.
-ignatius
>>
i am /lit/erally Ignatius. Oh dear..
>>
>>7315797
I listened to an audiobook of it and I think it benefited a lot. The book is so dialogue and delivery heavy that it's practically designed to be a play or a movie.

Too bad the film adaptation is cursed and anyone who is cast as Ignatius by Hollywood dies. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Confederacy_of_Dunces#Film_adaptations
>>
Why has this book been getting so much attention of late? It seems like over the past few weeks there have been countless threads about it?
>>
>>7318239
It's a "snobby status" book that's actually accessible and entertaining.

If you like Seinfeld, you will like this book.
>>
>>7318253
Oh, I'm aware of that and personally I think it's a great novel, I'm just interested as to why it's been discussed more lately. It had an immense rise in the ranks according to the recent poll as well, so that may have something to do with it.
>>
>>7315935
This was the only part in the novel I remember laughing at. I generally don't laugh at books though, even funny ones. Martin Amis's The Information is the only one I can think of that got multiple laughs out of me.
>>
>>7318239
kind of the nature of this board
for a while Mishima fags were everywhere
then a Burroughs craze
then Stoner
then The Peregrine
a bunch of different people all decided to read Anna Karenina at the same time
then The Red and The Black
now this is making the rounds again
it's not quite a hive mind but there's definitely influences going on
>>
>>7315797
I read it all since I wanted to finish the book, but I didn't like it that much until I read ~180 pages in my edition.

Mrs Trixie seriously cracked me up. When Mrs Levy takes her home, gives her new teeth and put the tape while she sleeps that goes
>I am a very beautiful woman
and then she repeats it for the rest of the novel out of the blue.
>>
I literally laughed out loud every time that nigger boy spoke.
I remember losing my shit 2-3 times in 1 hour of reading. Literally had to stop to catch my breath.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.