[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright. I've read Blood Meridian and Child of God by McCarthy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Outer Dark - Cormac McCarthy.jpg (29KB, 294x450px) Image search: [Google]
Outer Dark - Cormac McCarthy.jpg
29KB, 294x450px
Alright. I've read Blood Meridian and Child of God by McCarthy so far. Liked them both, but liked Blood Meridian more. I am thinking about starting Outer Dark now, even though it seems I'm in for more inbred hillbilly adventures. This guy is a real pervert t b h f a m. I dunno if he gets off on writing about corpse fucking and incest or what. Anywho, any of you guys like Outer Dark?

>inb4 McCarthy hating europoors
Go make your own thread pls. I'm only interested in how decent this book is out of what he has published so far.
>>
>>7315636
he's just human
>>
>>7315636

If you read Blood Meridian without any trouble then don't read Outer Dark, go right now and read Suttree. It is without a doubt his masterpiece - even better than Blood Meridian.

Outer Dark is a fine book but in the grand scheme of things its unremarkable. I really enjoy McCarthy's style and if you do too then I definitely suggest reading Outer Dark, but for now read Suttree.
>>
>>7315636

I've read it all other than the border trilogy, and whilst it isn't as ambitious as blood meridian or as outright good a novel as suttree, its still great. I am also European. With McCarthy it may not be the most insanely complex or even most well written book, but you know you'll be getting a decent read at least. Outer dark definitely gives you that. Its got a horrible vibe to it, and as usual the people in it are fucked up.
>>
>>7315638
That's no excuse to be a degenerate.
>>
>>7315663
>without any trouble
I mean, I read it all the way through and enjoyed it. I'm honestly going to have to read it again to pick up on the finer details. I probably didn't know like 10 percent of the words in there because he uses grandpa language and I had to hit the dictionary. Sometimes dictionaries didn't even have the words. But yeah I was looking for another dark novel by him. According to Wikipedia, Suttree is supposed to be light and comical. Unless I am misinterpreting that.
>>7315678
Yeah Blood Meridian and Child of God had a really dreadful feeling to them. As far as his writing not being complex, I dunno I kind of like it. It feels straight to the point and effective, compared to flowery pretentious nonsense.
>>
>>7315689 >>7315638
F I C T I O N
I
C
T
I
O
N
>>
>>7315636
The orchard keeper is pretty tight man
>>
>>7315726
Are they? That's pretty hot.
>>
>>7315708

Suttree does have moments of humour but it is very sad, more sad than dark. In the case that you did not move through Blood Meridian as easy as I thought then read Outer Dark and The Border Trilogy.

The Border Trilogy though is McCarthy's take on the romanticism of the West rather than the violent realism in his other books, but the final in the trilogy is darker and could be read just on its own if you really did not want to read lighter toned novels atm.
>>
Outer Dark is pretty short and very much based on plot as opposed to blood meridian

After the first "plot twist" It becomes something like a collection of conversations between main characters and strangers - you may like it or not

I'm currently working on a screenplay based on Outer Dark - 45 pages in. I have already cut a few of those conversations.
>>
>>7315636
I really like Outer Dark, obviously it is not his best work, that distinction would have to go to either Blood Meridian or The Road
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.