[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just read pic related, and I think it was a fantastic book.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: stoner-john-williams.jpg (32KB, 948x1516px) Image search: [Google]
stoner-john-williams.jpg
32KB, 948x1516px
So I just read pic related, and I think it was a fantastic book.

However, it really made me realize how much I dislike realism in lit. The writing style is really good, but at the same time it's terse to the point of making you forget you are even reading a book; almost as if I'm just seeing scenes from the book in my head in sequence.

Does anyone know what I mean? I really loved the book though.
>>
>it really made me realize how much I dislike realism in lit

so you dislike a good majority of the western canon...?
>>
>>7312861
Depends what books you are talking about to be honest, because it's not that I hate it, it's just that I prefer other things, like more avant-garde stuff, and maybe more magical realism in a sense.
>>
>>7312874
What do you mean by
> making you forget you are even reading a book; almost as if I'm just seeing scenes from the book in my head in sequence.

since that's essentially what a book is. Do you define/think of books as escapism or something?
>>
>>7312881
>since that's essentially what a book is

Not necessarily. When I read literary fiction, I get the feeling that the author intended the reader to read the story, but also pay attention to the prose and language he uses, which is not something I thought of at all when I read Stoner for example.
>>
>This is a fantastic book.
>But I dislike it's very style and execution.
>>
File: thefieryone.jpg (62KB, 631x612px) Image search: [Google]
thefieryone.jpg
62KB, 631x612px
>>7312861
>the western canon
>>
>>7312896
Well, maybe I could've worded myself better, English is not my native language.

Really sorry if I hurt your feelings Mr.Anglo.
>>
>>7312896
What's wrong with his message? Can you explain?
>>
>>7312886
how much literary fiction do you actually read? prose and style are huge components of "literature"
>>
>>7312910
stop being mean and racist
>>
>>7312919
just forget about it, op seemingly is a normie
>>
>>7312930
he seems like a genuine guy asking questions, no need to be mean. there's no shame in not being super exposed/used to "high literature" and there are worse places to start than stoner, which OP apparently enjoyed
>>
>>7312930
Yes, I am a "normie". I haven't read a lot in my life, but I want to, which is why I have bought a lot of books lately, especially books that /lit/ have recommended.

But I'll take my inquires elsewhere.

Thanks.
>>
>>7312940
>/lit/ have recommended.
>have
>>
>>7312940
why dont you give some examples of stuff you like that are "avant garde" and "magical realism" and we'll go from there?
>>
>>7312945
http://www.myenglishteacher.eu/question/some-nouns-are-uncountable-but-some-of-these-nouns-differ-from-english-to-american-would-you-please-help-me-in-this-field-thanks-a-lot/
>>
>>7312731
The writing was not simple,OP. It reminded me of Clapton's guitar style. Effortless yet very technical. Easy to play, hard to feel kind of thing.

The novel made me cry at the end but before that it was pretty underwhelming.I was mad at Stoner at some points.He acted like a complete coward. But maybe that's the point. Also, I was more interested in Mrs. Stoner. Edith was a beautifully tragic character. Someone needs to write a sequel- Mrs.Stoner. Is John Williams still alive?
>>
>>7312945
It's a collective noun
>>
>>7312956
>Is John Williams still alive?

nope
>>
>>7312958
shut up, british douche
>>
>>7312974
Wow
>>
>>7312974
I'm not even British; I just recognize that that's acceptable
>>
>>7312945
murika
>>
>>7312945
>The police is
>Is
>News are
>are
>>
>>7314411
correct, but /lit/ is, i cant see there any -s ending
>>
>>7312731
>terse

i'm so le smart XDDDD i use a thesaurus
>>
you guys are dicks :|

OP asked a nice question about a book (an actual book!) for once and you guys just bully ;;
>>
>>7312731
> The writing style is really good, but at the same time it's terse to the point of making you forget you are even reading a book; almost as if I'm just seeing scenes from the book in my head in sequence.
I'm honestly confused. Would you rather read a book full of words that don't tell a story?
What do you normally see in books?
>>
>>7312731
"bourgeois: the novel"
with Tom Hanks seal of approval
>>
>>7312874
Calvino Babby detected
>>
>>7315321
It is just the backwash from /his/. Give it a week or two and everything should calm down.

But anyways, Stoner is a masterpiece. Williams created one of the most human characters that I have ever seen put to paper. The tension between his wife over his daughter was a great conflict. I mean I know I sound like a faggot, but I love this book and its critique of life, the university, and nihilism.
>>
>>7312731
Do you mean that it plays like a movie in your head, whereas literature that focuses on interesting prose and/or surrealism doesn't, like a very rigid image vs a more vague one?
I can agree if that's what you're saying, but i kind of like the realistic way too.
And stoner had beautiful prose.
>>
>>7312731
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/classic-stoner-not-so-fast/2015/11/02/9f0ed5aa-7db3-11e5-b575-d8dcfedb4ea1_story.html

This article ironically proves the necessity of books like Stoner.
>>
>>7315501
>First, along with other women readers

Stopped reading.
>>
>>7315501
>https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/classic-stoner-not-so-fast/2015/11/02/9f0ed5aa-7db3-11e5-b575-d8dcfedb4ea1_story.html

>But I am not a fan of “Stoner.” First, along with other women readers, I am put off by Williams’s misogyny. Second, as a professor of English, I am dismayed by the pedantry and narrow-mindedness of his teaching and his treatment of a dissenting student.

the plebbery is unreal
>>
>>7315511
>narrow-mindedness of his teaching and his treatment of a dissenting student.
YO WHAT
>>
>>7315587
There's a reason no one respects Princeton's English department DESU. It's second only to Berkeley in terms of conforming to SJW stereotypes. It's ridiculous.
>>
>>7315317
terse is a very basic word
if English is your native language then you're an idiot
>>
>>7315608
I'm so glad this SJW shit hasn't spread to european academia
>>
>>7315627
too busy studying Islam
>>
>>7312956
Someone posted a Stoner thread a few days ago and something similar popped up. I'll just repeat myself-

Just remember that Williams didn't view Stoner as a tragic figure. He had sadness and hardships and disappointment, but he wasn't pathetic. And in the end, Stoner lived life. That's what matters.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.