[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the fallacy where someone says something, then when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: spider.jpg (325KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
spider.jpg
325KB, 1024x768px
What's the fallacy where someone says something, then when you counter it they say "oh i obviously meant something else and it should be obvious for anyone who isn't a moron"?
>>
lol OP got rekt
>>
No true Scotsman is an informal fallacy, an ad hoc attempt to retain an unreasoned assertion.[1] When faced with a counterexample to a universal claim ("no Scotsman would do such a thing"), rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it by rhetoric, without reference to any specific objective rule ("no true Scotsman would do such a thing").[2]
>>
>>7229078
I mean it's kind of an ad hominem?
>>
sophism if you're richer than them, demagoguery if you're poorer
>>
it's not a fallacy

if your opponent keeps proposing new arguments while insisting they're just explanations of the first one, and calling you stupid for not understanding the first time, all in order to appear consistent, that's just called being a dick
>>
>>7229078
Abusive fallacy, generally speaking. Scotsman too probably.
>>
>>7229078
The 4chan fallacy
>>
Ad Hominem is when the character of the other person is insulted to detract from the substance of the argument at hand.

So this.
>>
>>7229078
Not a fallacy. A fallacy is a not-logical but persuasive argument. The counter argument you give is not logical nor persuasive, doesn't even address the argument.
>>
>>7229078
Either you can't read, they can't write, or they're lying. None of those are fallacies unless they try to use that miscommunication to discredit you.
>>
File: huge.3.16351.jpg (37KB, 450x368px) Image search: [Google]
huge.3.16351.jpg
37KB, 450x368px
>"oh i obviously meant something else"

That is NOT a fallacy, that is someone covering their ass for making a statement (or just as likely: you misunderstanding them to have made a statement) that they now (at least) admit is incorrect.

Example:

OP is not a faggot. Wait, no - he is, and it should be obvious to anyone who isn't a moron.
>>
isn't that moving the goal-post?
>>
>>7230158
Not if OP is idiot, who cant understand what is being said to him.
>>
>>7230158
no, moving the goal post is when you say something like:

>"There's no evidence for global warming"
>yes there is, (gives citations, etc)
>"Well, global warming isn't caused by humans"
>yes it is, (gives citations, etc)
>"Well there's no scientific consensus"
>yes there is, etc
>"Well it's not really going to to do anything bad"

etc etc etc. Goalpost moving is offering an argument, losing the argument on the original terms, then changing the argument.

An immediate "no, that's not what I meant" is not that in the slightest, OP just miscommunicated and the error was corrected
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.