[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/ comments/3obx5g/what_boo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 7

File: kanyemicrotransactions.png (51KB, 595x335px) Image search: [Google]
kanyemicrotransactions.png
51KB, 595x335px
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3obx5g/what_book_should_everybody_read_once_in_their_life/

"What book should everybody read once in their life?" brought to you by /Reddit/

>Flowers for Algernon is near the top
lmao lads

Seriously though, what 1 book would you give to the whole world if you knew everyone would read it at least once?

'Siddhartha' by Herman Hesse is the obvious choice for me.
>>
lmao @ the le reddit fedoras!
>>
>>7222355

major top keks at the ledditors

"a driving manual" is one of the top responses

do these fucking morons really derive literary pleasure from fucking manuals? wew lad I had no idea that reddit was actually as autismal as you guys promised me
>>
>>7222349
Why are you mocking reddit but posting Kanye West memes and talking about your love for books that were required reading in high school? I see zero difference between their shit taste and yours.
>>
I am better than all of you
>>
Giving an infant an ipad is really bad parenting. Children learn moth through tactile experience, and you're basically starving them sensually speaking if all they can interact with is a flat glass plane.
>>
I don't think there's a single book from which all of humanity could prosper or at least learn something, or derive pleasure from.
Maybe something easy, nice and interesting like Siddhartha?
Then again the majority of people aren't even literate so it's a meaningless question.
>>
>>7222373
no freaking way... the boys over at reddit have topped themselves once again.
>>
>>7222349
>Seriously though, what 1 book would you give to the whole world if you knew everyone would read it at least once?

The Bible, to learn that it’s easier to be told by others what to think and believe than it is to think for yourself
>>
good thread lads
smells like australia in here
>>
>>7222396
did oyu just quote neil degrasse tyson? somebody ring the alarm and get this guy the funny hat, cuz he just went Full Reddit
>>
>>7222383
No it's not. It's unrealistic to assume a child will have someone's undivided attention on the at all times. If the childs parent wants to have a 5 minute conversation with another adult, handing the kid an ipad is no different than handing the kid any other toy to play with on their own.
>>
I can't be the only one who's absolutely stunted by "the only X" or "the most important X" or "the best X" type questions.
>>
I honestly hate that i've read the same books that these reddit scum have read, seriously why can't they just stick to their high school books, thankfully most of them all have entry level taste and even their "obscure" is read by people here on their 2nd week.

>remember to upvote.
>>
>>7222414
well, one difference would be that the other toy is not an ipad, and the ipad is an ipad. not saying you're wrong, but that's one difference.
>>
>>7222414
Huh, of course. Since small children experience the world most through tactile sensation (this is why they always put stuff into their mouths) it's important to not deny them that sensation. Give them anything but a flat glass surface
>>
>>7222373
baaaahahah what morons. instead of the driving manual they should of posted Finnegans Wake
>>
>>7222398
>>7222396
>>7222381
>>7222374
>>7222355

back to reddit

>>7222383

I don't think it's bad parenting as long as the kid is also able to interact with a bunch of other stuff. It will be really interesting to see what sort of tech advancements come from the generation raised on smartphones and tablets.

>>7222391

>Siddhartha

>>7222396

>The Bible
>>
>>7222423
i hate the people who post on the other website
>>
>>7222423
This is probably the most retarded thing I read all day, and I've been browsing /tv/ for at least an hour.
>>
>>7222423
I'm not a fan of reddit either but you need to calm down, bro. Like, it's ok. They're not hurting you
>>
>>7222418

Me too tbh fam.

I don't see the point. I'm not particularly good at giving personalized recommendations to anyone for anything, though.

It's less that I'm indecisive and more that I just don't care.
>>
>>7222426
If the child is old enough to understand how to play a game, they're at an age where putting everything they're handed in their mouths should be discouraged.
>>
>>7222430
You know greentexting is not a counterargument, right?
>>
>>7222430
back to reddit with you faggot
>>
>>7222349

Siddhartha is a good call. I'd say the Odyssey, I think.

>>7222373

Yeah. Seems to me that that would be grounds for an on-the-spot autism diagnosis.

I didn't go to the reddit thread. Is it full of shitty, nauseatingly unfunny puns?
>>
>>7222456
>implying
>>
>>7222430
I second that other poster, back to reddit fag
>>
*clicks on my /r/books bookmark*

siddhartha? kurt vonnegut? game of thrones?
jesus christ... this is some fedora hat sjw baloney.
>>
>>7222349

>How to win friends and influence people

Oh god.
>>
>>7222349
>>Flowers for Algernon is near the top
That's a nice book.
I like it.
>>
I nominate Graham's "The Intelligent Investor", it'd do people good to know some basics of investment and general money management.
>>
>>7222473
>I didn't go to the reddit thread. Is it full of shitty, nauseatingly unfunny puns?

Unsurprisingly yes. Most of the top answers are books (you should look because you'll laugh), but if you read any comment chains or anything you'll probably frown.

I don't get it either.
>>
no, you see, i post on the good books website where we talk about thomas pynchon, but there's another books website where they talk about bad books, but they're starting to talk about thomas pynchon now too, so things in my life are very hectic right now.
>>
>>7222524
>>7222473
>>7222442
>>7222437
>>7222434

>back to le 47 puns with you

This is real life, friends. Buckle up.
>>
>To Kill A Mockingbird
Half of the time I can't even tell if these people are trolling.
>>
>>7222473
>the Odyssey
Why?

Also why Siddhartha instead of just an actual Buddhist text?
>>
Mindfulness in Plain English.
>>
I honestly feel bad for those people, they will never truly appreciate great art. I mean, Camus? You can get much more eloquence from your existentialism with Pynchon. Brave New World? Come on, Pynchon showed us that the actual dystopia was already here, we were just blind to it. Vonnegut? Just subpar toiletless Pynchon.
>>
>>7222565

Siddhartha overcomes Buddhism m8

>>7222559

I unironically believe that the average redditor is probably (unfortunately) smarter and more patrician than the average person (which isn't saying much).

This should be a frightening reminder of what that means.
>>
>>7222583
#damfam
>>
>>7222565

Major cultural impact, many fine points, amazing story, has the potential to demystify the classics and make people pursue more of them on their own time.

Siddhartha instead of a Buddhist text so people don't get aggravated. Give them something too difficult right off the bat and they'll be pissed. It's a beautiful and accessible work.
>>
>>7222588
Well that's why you don't discuss literature with normal people, or redditors for that matter.
I hate to admit it, but I'm glad you exist, /lit/.
>>
>>7222583

Vonnegut is quite fine. For teenagers, mostly, but fine nonetheless. I think with Vonnegut, there is a window of time to read them in mid to late adolescence. That's what I did, and I enjoyed them thoroughly. If I reread them today, it would probably not be much more than nostalgia and sentimental value.
>>
my diary tbh
>>
one hundred years of solitude
>>
>>7222349
Fuck Kanye and his dumb kid.
>>
>>7222614

If this was reddit, I'd reply "My diarrhoea, tbh", and get all those delicious popularity points.
>>
>>7222608
Vonnegut's perfect for kids and teenagers, but the adults who go on about him are always those special people who believe themselves to be witty, cynical, and smarter than everyond when they're not.
>>
File: Ironic satire.png (19KB, 791x342px) Image search: [Google]
Ironic satire.png
19KB, 791x342px
>>7222637
>>7222608

This describes Reddit perfectly.

Unaware and nostalgic
>>
>>7222644
Back when I was first looking for a place to talk about weird, postmodernist books I tried going to r/books. It might as well be renamed r/YAliteraturecirclejerk.

Nearly every thread is something like "What was your opinion on Slaughterhouse 5?" Or "Recommend me a book" with dozens of different answers saying Farenheit 451 or To Kill a Mockingbird. These aren't innately bad books, but this is a community that thinks themselves intelligent for having read material that is intended to get CHILDREN to expand their worldview. Whether they don't realize this, or they've moved the goalposts on their own expectations I can't even tell.

Their adult discussion is expanded to include Steven King (patron saint of intellectuals, writer of masterpieces, and ubermensch of r/books) and Murakami (a philosopher only the most sensitive and intelligent of redditors will truly understand). Expect to see dozens of threads on these two daily.

/lit/ does many of the same things, but it has two important differences, the repetition here is on a higher level. I'd rather discuss Zizek or Joyce a hundred times than "Pet Cemetary" ten. And there's a level of self awareness here that at times leads to diverse topics, and usually resultsnin diverse opinion at the very least.
>>
the posters in this thread lack self-awareness
>>
>>7222680

I am agreeing with you so hard right now.

/lit/ is at least completely self-aware. It's been this way for years. There really is something different about this place, as much as I hate you bastards.

I wonder if the structural differences (i.e. anonymity, no le upvotes) between the sites could account for this or if there is simply an entirely different culture here as a result of those structural differences/preferences.

I wonder what the Myers Briggs type distribution would be like in both places.
>>
>>7222753

I think anonymity is the cause for almost all the brilliance and almost all the idiocy of these boards.
>>
>>7222812
SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU SEMEN GOBBLER
>>
>>7222680
I wouldn't consider Steven King to be any more "adult" than Vonnegut, Bradbury, or Lee.

> I'd rather discuss Zizek or Joyce a hundred times than "Pet Cemetary" ten
The thing about these discussions is very rarely have all the participants actually read the books being discussed. It's mostly memes, and in the case of philosophers politically-charged shit-flinging.
>>
File: candide.jpg (183KB, 1266x2031px) Image search: [Google]
candide.jpg
183KB, 1266x2031px
>>7222349
makes fun of reddit but posts kanye tweets and picks Siddhartha as alltime essential
>>
>>7222349
The Iliad.

Start them off with the first and the best.
>>
If you guys want palpable human suffering go to r/deadbedrooms
>>
Steppenwolf.
>>
>>7222977
why the fuck did you do this to me anon?

did I harm you in a past life?
>>
>>7222680
I'm sure there's dozens of obscure little reading forums where this exact conversation takes place in regards to /lit/ instead of /r/books.

Somehow I can't bring myself to be sure that I'm self-aware or we've all just reached the next rung of the ladder in the succession of ego-stroking.
>>
this is a good thread because it is 50% shitposting and the other 50% earnestly replying to shitposting
>>
>>7223006
>this is a good thread
are you referring to this thread or to the thread that this thread is mocking?
>>
>Night
>The Giver
>To Kill a Mockingbird
I threw up in my mouth a little bit
I'd say Aristotle's Metaphysics.
>>
>>7222999
>Somehow I can't bring myself to be sure that I'm self-aware or we've all just reached the next rung of the ladder in the succession of ego-stroking.

digits of truth
are we self aware or are we just aware of the concept of self-awareness?
>>
>>7223016
this thread. I don't think you can shitpost on Reddit, it's illegal and you get arrested I'm pretty sure
>>
>>7223032
>Night
Had to read that for senior-level English in high school. For the essay we were assigned on it (the presence of suffering and how it leads to the loss of faith) I wrote a ~2200 word-er on the necessity of suffering for faith to be valid.

I barely mentioned that awful 'autobiography' because it would have only sullied one of the few decent essay topics I had seen in high school.
>>
>>7222373
I had no idea they were actually as autistic as 4chan made them out to be.
>>
>>7222999
Doesn't that simply prove that we're self aware? In that matter we're not aware of ourselves relative to others, but we still have the capacity to look out and see places that are both better and worse than our current situation. We're heavily flawed, but it's a step in the right direction, and miles beyond those who don't look about them at all so long as we don't allow ourselves to be caught in the mindset.

>>7222948
True, but that's a product of 4chan as a whole rather than /lit/. There isn't a single board free of contrarians who shit up things for fun, even /diy/ whom I'd consider the most serious and on-topic board is full of them at this point. It detracts from the place as a whole, but does little to lessen the impact of smaller, more serious, and important discussions.

It kind of comes out to digging through trolls for people speaking in ernest, and digging through vapid superficiality to find people who're speaking about more vapid superficiality.
>>
>>7223032
I'd pick Proust, Joyce, or Hugo and see what the redditors would do.
>>
>>7222373
This has gotta be some kind of jackass attempt at "It's useful for everyone's life and you never even considered it! Upvote please :)" right? I mean that's misguided because everything you need to know about driving can be learned in a few hours by being told what to do, and it's practice rather than theory that makes a good driver, but they can't actually be serious. Can they?
>>
>>7223459
>but we still have the capacity to look out and see places that are both better and worse than our current situation
No we (as a collective) don't. Case in point: the tards ITT who unironically think 4chan has better discussions than reddit.
>>
>>7222547
That's not what a pun is, dumbass
>>
>>7223487
Bad 4chan discussions are generally just dank memes, while reddit discussions are usually just ego-stroking about the most entry-level possible lit. They're different kinds of shit, is what I'm getting at.
>>
are people really not aware that the "driving manual" post is like a dad joke about how other people are such bad drivers

is it possible that this place is more autistic than reddit (don't answer that)
>>
>>7223553
By answering to you I want you to know that I mean to affirm your statement.
>>
>>7223553
This.
>>
File: dvp1Bxe.png (862KB, 564x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dvp1Bxe.png
862KB, 564x1000px
>>7222383
>starving them sensually

Go away Humbert Humbert
>>
>>7223553
Us redditors sure are good drivers, huh?
>>
>>7222739
especially u lol
>>
Boethius, the Consolation of Philosophy
>>
>>7222583
lol
>>
>>7222349
>'Siddhartha' by Herman Hesse
A friend recommended it to me.

I dunno what I'd choose as a mandatory read for everyone. Probably Schopenhauer's On the Will in Nature or Spinoza's Ethics or something like this.
>>
>>7222977
https://www.reddit.com/r/DeadBedrooms/comments/3o7vs2/you_know_how_you_can_just_tell_when_its_pity_sex/
I don't have a reaction image for this shit.
>>
>>7222349
Not saying it's the best book written, but Flowers for Algernon seriously was a eerily sad read as a fourteen year old but still.
>>
I would want everyone in the world to read Camus.

More specifically, The Myth of Sysiphys. I think we'd have a much more honest generation.
>>
>>7225318
And fuck, I spelt that wrong.
>>
The obvious answer is babyfucker.
>>
>>7222349
>only 131 votes for Don Quixote
>multiple replies accusing it of being boring and outdated

Kill me now
>>
File: 1443934932232.png (89KB, 184x173px) Image search: [Google]
1443934932232.png
89KB, 184x173px
mein kampf
>>
>>7225323
just a bit. i don't anyone will notice
>>
>>7222483
Reddit is fucking trash
>>
>>7225318
You mean Nietzsche, right?
>>
>>7222349
>Canterbury tales / decameron
>the republic
>the rights of man
>myth of Sisyphus

And maybe some epic works of verse, learning sentence structure and metre would be great for everyone
>>
>>7225352
>My man... 1615 it was written in 1615 it is the first real novel, Cervantes hey went to jail, worked odd jobs.. got his vision on paper ok it's not Tom Clancy, but give it a chance, it's a time machine
>>
>>7225498
>tfw had to go on leddit and check to see if this comment really exists
>tfw it does
I want to get off the ride
>>
>>7225318
I don't see the appeal on Camus essays. I enjoy his novels, but I didn't find anything remotely original on his essays.
>>
>>7225498
>ok it's not Tom Clancy
reddit srsly read clancy?
>>
>>7225544
It's not really original, it's just a moving account of existentialist thought, the conclusion is open-ended and down to you to make, but he really quite lucidly leads you down to that point of self-determination. I mean, to a reader with no real history in philosophy, that would be pretty insightful, maybe not for the average anon here whose already made their leap.
>>
>>7223463
>For a French novel class in college, I had to read Swann's Way (in French) and I absolutley HATED reading Proust. I respect the novel and what it accomplishes but I could not stand his writing style.

meh
>>
Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit
>>
>>7222373
Its obviously a joke
>>
>>7225417
theres enough edge already
>>
>>7225807
That's the point.

It's fucking awful.
>>
>reddit
>replies by posting numerous book titles and discussing them

>/lit/
>complains, but offers next to no better suggestions
>>
>>7222396
The Bible, because it is foundational for the entire body of Western art, literature, and history for the past 2000 years.

>fedoras will disagree with this
>>
>>7225883
Reddit is broken as hell. The thread OP posted is another example of this. Yes, Reddit is sharing 'numerous books,' but it doesn't matter when they're books that everyone already knows about. Reddit is a massive circlejerk over the same drivel. /lit/ is too, but it doesn't have a retarded point system that exacerbates and perpetuates it even further.
>>
>>7226043
I agree that Reddit, in particular a default area like /r/askreddit or /r/books, is very surface-oriented (better areas do exist deeper within the site) and that the karma system compromises genuine discussion, but all of the heat and the absence of light in this thread is not any kind of alternative.
I should try to practice what I preach. If I had to pick one, I'd have to agree with >>7225892. Barring that, I'd say The Brothers Karamazov for how it balances archetype and psychological insight. It's hard to pick just one though, and the question may ultimately be unanswerable in trying to cover every person/situation/etc.
>>
>>7222349
>what 1 book would you give to the whole world if you knew everyone would read it at least once?

None. Do you realize how diverse the world is? There's not a single book that's suited for everyone, and his or her personality, culture, desires, needs, etc etc
>>
the Martian
>>
>>7226478
The Bible my man. I'm so sick of this cultural relativistic bullshit on this board. Not everyone deserves a ribbon at a sports game; football wouldn't exist as a sport if everyone was a winner.
>>
>>7226510
American mediocrity: the post
>>
>>7222588
>the average redditor is probably (unfortunately) smarter and more patrician than the average person
This is complete bullshit. The average person reads real books. The average redditor laughs at memeshit like 20 minute fail compilations and thug life videos. Reddit is a containment network for autism.
>>
>>7222349
More confirmation for the correlation between being an idiot and having an orwell novel as your favorite book.
>>
>>7228068

go to a college campus and ask around what peoples' favorite books are. the answer you'll get are at best what you see here from this reddit thread. the average person reads Harry Potter and Game of Thrones
>>
why do we care again what books they're talking about

especially when they could be talking about books that are much worse than high-school literature
>>
>>7228095
>implying college isn't full of people with pleb taste
I spent four years at one of the most prestigious universities in my country, and I can confirm that albeit being capable of a higher level of discourse than your average Christian backwater yokel, having a post-secondary degree doesn't guarantee that you spend your free time on intellectual pursuits higher than watching children's cartoons and playing video games.
>>
It's /r/AskReddit, not /r/Literature or even /r/books. What responses do you think you would get on /b/?
>>
>>7228178
Shhh. Most people on /lit/ don't get many chances to feel superior in real life, so this is really important for them.
>>
>>7222396
this but unironically and without that dumbass quote
>>
>>7228399

shut up m80, your'e crossing dangerously close to reddit spy.
>>
>>7223032
>reading Metaphysics
>without reading Physics

pleb to the max
>>
>>7226510
>people are far too different for this question to be meaningfully answered
>cultural relativism!!
>>
File: 1438083718058.jpg (33KB, 361x333px) Image search: [Google]
1438083718058.jpg
33KB, 361x333px
>>7222398

>smells like australia in here

every shitpost thread is an australia thread
>>
>>7222396
The Bible, Quran, Baghavad Gita, Torah are all good because they question morals and help to set a moral life. (Even if you don't agree with all that is written in them.
>>
>>7225757
I took the easy way out. I read a translation in my language. Of the authors I choose I'd do
>Proust-Swann's Way
>Joyce - A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man (easier to read than Ulysses.)
>Hugo- Les Miserables
>>
>>7228782
Australia is a shitpost. The whole place. You travel from Sydney to Perth and won't have a single conversation that isn't winding you up
>>
>>7228095
That's it, redditards are normies. We are the autistic elitists that read obscure 6deep8u>>7228095
authors to jerk off our giant egos and pretend the others are the problem.
>>
>>7229008
true
>>
>>7228431
>implying the approval of a community as toxic and fickle as /lit/ matters to anyone
Thread posts: 131
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.