[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Time for an Augustine thread. His position on time is pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: St-Augustine.jpg (618KB, 681x864px) Image search: [Google]
St-Augustine.jpg
618KB, 681x864px
Time for an Augustine thread.

His position on time is pretty fascinating, as is his conception of changing and unchanging reality. Did you know past and future don't really exist?
>>
>Did you know past and future don't really exist?
Obviously
>>
Yes, I did, at least I know Christian doctrine maintains this (I'm personally an eternalist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternalism_%28philosophy_of_time%29).Which is why I think it would be impossible for God to know the future, since that would be knowing what isn't, which is impossible. He could know all possible futures, he could know possibilities, but to know the future concretely doesn't make sense. I think that's actually more consistent with the Christian notion of free will.
>>
>>6333617
>Did you know past and future don't really exist?
What about like the birth of jesus and stuff?
>>
>>6333676
Never happened.
We're free it all
>>
was he black ?
>>
>>6333708
Indian.
>>
>>6333676
That exists eternally present, just like this very second, and the second that comes after it.

It's connected to the notion that God sees all of time in an instant. To God, who stands outside of the universe, all of history exists at once.

Catholicism does some interesting things with this: for example, the Liturgy of the Eucharist is said to happen simultaneously with the actual Last Supper, every time it's celebrated, in a supratemporal way. Since to God, who is Christ, they ARE simultaneous.
>>
>>6333754
>To God, who stands outside of the universe, all of history exists at once.
Which is inconsistent with Augustine's assertion of the unreality of past and future, since God's perspective would obviously be the objective one. It would just mean humans can only process time one moment at a time, but God's perspective would be the "objectively true" one.
>>
>>6333773
How is it inconsistent? History is eternally present to God, but humans, who exist in time, can't look at it from the outside. Time is our way of perceiving the change in things.
>>
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.