[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /lit/'s New Years resolution?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 17

File: image.jpg (69KB, 520x693px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 520x693px
What is /lit/'s New Years resolution?
>>
>inb4; finish my first novel.

I promise i try to finish something...
>>
if i tell you it won't come true
>>
I was like thinking of writing a Künstlerroman about Hegel in a postmodern tradition focusing on his life leading up to Phenomenology with the climax being the collision of two historical forces in Jena the day he mailed his final manuscript.
>>
>>5904039
Why is that?
>>
>>5904024
>read 150 books
>get at least one article published
>attend four literature conferences
>take on six editing jobs
>receive a dozen more books for review/proofing work
>>
>>5904024
get a gf
i spent last year getting interesting hobbies, making friends, going to the gym, and eating healthy. i saw a therapist for my social anxiety. i have a well paying job and bought some nice clothes.

i'm gonna make it.
>>
File: 1395432956234.png (396KB, 599x439px) Image search: [Google]
1395432956234.png
396KB, 599x439px
>>5904065
you can do it, we believe in you, anon
>>
>>5904065
What are you doing here?
Also why does your life sound like you've done those things just because you think;
"These are the things i need to do because it's normal"

I really hope you're not writing anything that is inspired from your life.
>>
>>5904024
>wishing things outside your control
Y'all niggas need stoicism
>>
>>5904079
i'm here because i like to read, shitpost about murakami/borges/dfw, and i like to keep up with "literary news". also i like to write poetry in the critique threads. i've yet to find a more interesting place to discuss literature than /lit/.

no response to the normality bait.

mostly i write science fiction.

>>5904078
thanks!
>>
Get a qt gf
W-wish me luck
>>
>>5904024
met a random girl on the street, fuck her and never see her again
>>
File: 1399747699106.jpg (63KB, 590x572px) Image search: [Google]
1399747699106.jpg
63KB, 590x572px
>>5904098
we're all gonna make it
>>
I'm applying to MFAs right now. My resolution is to get accepted by at least 2. If not, I'll apply again next year.

And to keep writing and publishing short stories. Got my first one published this year and another one out there waiting to be rejected.
>>
>>5904024
Planning on reading books and visiting /lit/ more.
>>
get a gf and/or bf
write and read more
>>
I hate to be the wet blanket, but incontrovertible believe in New Year's resolutions. It's better to just resolve to do something independently of any kind of arbitrary event.

I started running, stopped smoking, quit soda, picked Portuguese back up independent of any arbitrary stimuli. The holidays mean one thing for me: disappointment, it's better to just let them pass by without any notice.
>>
Get drunk and fuck bitches.

Same thing I do every year.
>>
Get gf
>>
Stop smoking cigarettes, even when you're partying.
Stop smoking weed altogether

I noticed I started smoking cigs a lot more after cutting weed done to once a month.
>>
>>5904024
To practice shitposting since it's my best creative outlet.
>>
Ask Anna a date
>>
Write more, read more
>>
Honestly, and this sounds really douchy, work up the courage to break up with my qt3.14 gf. She's fucking perfect for me, but I'm in university and I want to be stupid and sleep around, so.
>>
>>5904232
You're a cunt
>>
>>5904232
Terrible choice! Just, terrible!
>>
>>5904232
Give her to me
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 640x960px
>>5904232
Don't do it anon, trust me, don't do it. I broke up with the love of my life because I wanted to bang sluts and it wasn't worth it.
For the first couple of weeks there were no sluts to bang and I felt like an idiot for throwing away a good thing for no reason, and when I did finally start going to parties and banging sluts I was entirely unhappy with the whole ordeal and I just missed my gf beyond imagination. I even thought of her when I was shitfaced and banging these other sluts. You'll regret it, I guarantee that.
>>
>>5904241
>>5904242
>>5904251

How could you possibly know what's good for somebody you don't know? Anyway, think of it from the girl's perspective. Would you want her to stay with a guy like him after he's admitted to this?
>>
>>5904232
I have this same dilemma but I still haven't decided on what to do about it.
>>
>>5904257
How could you possibly know what's good for anyone if your existence is completely independent of everyone else's?
>>
>get >>>/fit/
>read a lot of good >>>/lit/
>Finish my 100 poems (28% done)
>Continue my sobriety
>Practice guitar and Spanish daily
>>
>>5904257
Because I've been that guy. Experience. And I'm not concerned with whether or not she's with a guy like him. I'm giving him advice, not her.
>>
File: 1419455989644.png (39KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1419455989644.png
39KB, 645x773px
>last years resolution was to read 52 books
>currently on 48
>>
>>5904232
She probably wants to sleep around too anon.
>>
>>5904286
Get cracking, you still have time.
>>
>>5904286

Kudos man that's excellent. I have ADHD and if I hear a song it will stay in my head for a while so I have trouble concentrating, I wish I could sit down and read for 2 hours.
>>
>>5904232
Go for it.
>>
to improve more than the previous year
>>
>new years resolutions
>>
To stop lurking/posting on reddit
>>
mostly stuff that sounds like self-help, they are not really new year resolutions, more like general resolutions
>connect more with people, be less of an asshole
>write more, maybe finish something or even show it to anyone
>read more
>get over my narcissism
>maybe finally find a girl
>>
>>5904353
>connect more with people
Why would you want to interact with people in any context, at any time?
>>
Finish one of my screenplays.
>>
>continue to exercise and eat right (same thing as last year)
>send out some query letters for the novellas I wrote this past year
>>
>>5904232
All the Chads and Tyrones in a 300 miles radius are laughing their dicks off. Here's what's gonna happen:
>you break up with her or cheat and are caught because you're clearly demented
>she cries for 3 days and then her girl friends convince her to get out and have fun
>she drinks and dances and has fun
>she gets picked up by a different Chad every night and fucked in the most degrading possible ways (I'm talking facial abuse tier level), then she gets dumped and hops on the next cock (which, needless to say it, will be 2-3 inches bigger than yours)
>this repeats for 5 to 10 years, then she finds a moron like you to marry her busted holes
Meanwhile, you'll get maybe 3-4 hook ups with ugly, fat party sluts and a lifetime of regrets for losing the only nice, pretty girl you ever had.
>>
>>5904257
>How could you possibly know what's good for somebody you don't know?
I don't know you, but I'm pretty sure putting your balls in a meat grinder would be a bad idea.

Same thing with dumping a great girl only to get some meaningless hook ups with inferior females.

A smart man would cheat without getting caught (it's not difficult: don't fuck girls in the same college or town, don't fuck girls your gf might know even indirectly, don't give the whores your name or your contacts. Done.).
>>
>>5904024
To stop coming here
>>
>>5904024
Publish at least one of my 2 novels (still haven't tried it).
>>
>>5904433
are envy of him or what

also you cannot into consistency, you say that she is 'nice' and then describe a typical 'party slut'
>>
To make my girlfriend give me more blowjobs. She was slacking this year.
>>
>>5904024
To fuck that girl in the pic.
>>
>>5904440
i quit for 8 months on a new years resolution, let's go full year this year bro, then when can meet up next christmas week and brag about all the shit we read
>>
>>5904102

Hope you're really, really, really attractive or you'll probably have to talk to her at least a little bit. Unless more steps between meeting her and fucking her were implied here.
>>
>>5904162

Not smoking cigs was way harder than quitting weed, for me. I considered/still consider myself addicted to both. Pot was all in my head though, nicotine was physical.

Good luck bro. We're all gonna make it
>>
>>5904232

Then she's not perfect for you. I had a girlfriend at a different school all through college (we started dating in high school). Our schools weren't far apart, so I saw her often, and it wasn't like a normal LDR. I never felt like being with other women.

If you want to be fuck around, fuckin' go for it dude. If that sounds better than this girlfriend, it must not be going that well.

Or you're a retard throwing away a good thing for something that you think will be fun.
>>
Give up writing and do stand up
>>
>>5904286

You've got 6 days, friend. Plenty of time.
>>
>>5905067
>Good luck bro. We're all gonna make it
No you're not
>>
>>5904428

Good luck getting novellas published m8.
>>
>>5904300
are you medicated?
>>
>>5905085

Yeah, probably not. Been off the cigs for like 6 months now, so that's good. Weed it's only been a couple, and once I find a new job I'm sure I'll go right back to it.
>>
Read a lot of books, keep writing poetry, submit some stuff, get on top of rationalists and empiricists and a good 2-3 months into Kant.

Kissing a qt and making intelligent friends would also be nice.
>>
>>5904112
anyone can make it if they try
>>
Write my book instead of arguing about pointless bullshit on the internet between fapping sessions.
>>
File: 145487986232.jpg (73KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
145487986232.jpg
73KB, 800x532px
>>5904024
stop drinking and try to get a job
>>
>>5904024

get a job. get my own apartment again.

2014 sucked. i lost a lot.
>>
Get published

It's getting exciting now, just got the book back from alpha readers. A family friend is gonna line edit (he's a long-time journalist) and then a mate of his will do a proper edit before I send it off.
I always hate telling people I'm writing a book (feels like I'm blowing my own horn) but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have gotten these opportunities.
>>
Move out of the rents
Find edgy stoner qt gf
Create something
>>
>>5904428
I wrote a novella recently, I think I'll self publish. It'll be a good practice run to publishing a full novel and it'll look good to a publisher if I do a good job getting my novella out on my own.

Here's a decent resource (some good ideas): http://www.reddit.com/r/selfpublish/comments/2b05rb/my_book_has_almost_5000_downloads_in_a_day_and_a/
>>
>>5904024
find katy perry and propose i guess
>>
My resolution is to read one "Very Short Introduction" book a month. That may not sound like much to you guys that can easily kill a long novel in a week but I'm just getting back into reading books after a while and want to read some non-fiction with a little educational substance.
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 614x461px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 614x461px
>read more books
>try to get laid
>>
>>5905477
word
>>
>>5905477
pretty much this, although I would also like to find love :3
>>
>>5905477
this, but also with me getting good at lewd drawing
>>
>>5904051
its a mental thing

just the act of telling someone your plans gives you the false impression of having made progress towards your goal. thus you wont be willing to work as hard to accomplish it because it suddenly doesnt seem as far away as it did before.

last year my resolution was to do everything i said i would. made me keep my mouth shut more often lol.
>>
>>5904024
Pass the uni year, read some books, get back to half marathon running condition, that's about it.
>>
>>5905540
Uhm, telling someone about your plans also indebts you to them to accomplish those plans. You lose respect when you don't achieve your goals, so by telling people it becomes an honor game.
>>
>>5904024

>lit
15 poems/month, 30 in April.
Log 24 hours working on one poem.
Read another 80 books this year, a larger portion of them being novels; finish Larkin's novels, maybe read some Dickens?
Read 10 - 20 plays.
Read The Norton Anthologies of British and American literature.
Read The Bible, the Divine Comedy, and Paradise Lost.
Get more literary friends.

>Personal
Walk nearly every day.
Build a larger and stronger circle of friends.
Explore more of my city.
Go to more small concerts, comedy shows, literary events, etc.
>>
>>5905584
lmao if your impetus for self improvement is for the sake of impressing other people you're already doing it wrong.

you think anyone gives a damn about how many books you want to read?

the only time a person cares to hold you accountable for your resolutions or promises is if it has some sort of impact on them.

honestly the only time i could justify telling someone my personal ambitions is if i want their opinnion on a certain thing or if theyre a good friend who i think would push me along (and even then i would keep people kind of in the dark about what i really want)

why do you think new years resolutions are so popular despite them rarely being kept? its therapuetic to tell your friends how good of a person youre gonna be. and if you decide its too hard to keep you can just quit and no one bats an eye.
>>
>>5905635
>lmao if your impetus for self improvement is for the sake of impressing other people you're already doing it wrong.

Who said I am doing anything for them? I'm saying, if you tell someone about your plans, your honor gets damaged if you do not fullfill those plans. Don't start the whole ''lmao living for others hurr durr feggit'' thing, this is simple stuff.

>you think anyone gives a damn about how many books you want to read?
This shows how little you actually understand what I said. People remember your determination and commitment to ideals, yes. Do you not care more for the essay you're writing for a teacher you really like? Do you not work a little harder in sports when your family or friends are watching?

>honestly the only time i could justify telling someone my personal ambitions is if i want their opinnion on a certain thing or if theyre a good friend who i think would push me along (and even then i would keep people kind of in the dark about what i really want)
Sounds like you have trust issues. I'm not one to go yelling about what I'm doing, God forbid announcing it on social media, but there's nothing wrong with sharing your ambitions with people.

>and if you decide its too hard to keep you can just quit and no one bats an eye.
I do. And I've received compliments from other people on actually sticking to what I start, and having a strong will, etc.
>>
File: 1418787383889.png (437KB, 825x467px) Image search: [Google]
1418787383889.png
437KB, 825x467px
starting a german evening class in jan
been on the duolingo for about a year off and on
>>
File: image.jpg (206KB, 1000x671px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
206KB, 1000x671px
>>5904098
good luck anon chan
>>
>>5904232
ive made that mistake and six years of depression followed
>>
>>5905673

>Who said I am doing anything for them? I'm saying, if you tell someone about your plans, your honor gets damaged if you do not fullfill those plans. Don't start the whole ''lmao living for others hurr durr feggit'' thing, this is simple stuff.

lol are you some kind of presocratic greek? your definition of honor is outdated by about 2500 years.

>This shows how little you actually understand what I said. People remember your determination and commitment to ideals, yes. Do you not care more for the essay you're writing for a teacher you really like? Do you not work a little harder in sports when your family or friends are watching?

so basically you have no integrity and want attention rather than personal satisfaction from accomplishing things. cool.

>Sounds like you have trust issues. I'm not one to go yelling about what I'm doing, God forbid announcing it on social media, but there's nothing wrong with sharing your ambitions with people.

theres nothing "wrong" with it, but my objection is based on the psychological tendency i described earlier which works contrary to my plans.

>I do. And I've received compliments from other people on actually sticking to what I start, and having a strong will, etc.

thats sweet :)
>>
>>5905673
>>5905791

why the fuck are you kikes arguing about this shit on jesus christ's birthday?
>>
-make more money
-make great music
-play shows
-go back to school
-read at least a book a week
>>
>>5905584
>>5905673
correct

this is why AA works well
>>
>>5905813
first of all, AA doesn't "work well", it has been shown to be no more effective than no treatment at all. AA was just a small pseudo-christian cult until the government realized it was cheaper to force people to AA than to a real shrink since AA are just random bums that do it for free instead of people with Phds who expect to be compensated...

Second, telling you goals to others is actually a known demotivator. you get "social credit" just for having this goal and so have less incentive to actually achieve it. this seems pretty obvious, but just in case you're a retard here's the idea reduced down to a simple little "ted talk" for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHopJHSlVo4
>>
>>5905799
because im in china and no one takes christmas seriously ;_;
>>
>>5905828
>ted
opinion discarded
>>
Think a lot, Say little, Write nothing.
>>
>>5905830
>4chan
opinion retarded
>>
>>5905830
>not being able to distinguish between fact and opinion

this may be part of the reason you fail at life, think about it in the new year
>>
>>5904024
Not being such a lazy piece of shit anymore and working way harder on the literary bit of my life

They kind of fulfill eachother, yeah.
>>
>>5905830
lol high five bro
>>
>>5904052
>read 150 books

Looks like your setting yourself up to fail.
>>
>>5905791
Fine, call it pride then, whatever, Mr semantic. Shows how little of value you have to say to dispute a word.

Hyperbole, completely missread and just trying to claw yourself out of idiocy.

Have a nice christmass.
>>
>>5904035
I never finish anythi
>>
>>5905902
i was just making a joke because in traditional greek ethics honor and shame are the driving forces of how you conduct your life, but you only have honor if alot of people agree that you do and shame can be grounds to do some pretty neurotic stuff (e.g. in Sophocles' Ajax ajax gets wrecked by athena in addition to being sad about not winning achilles' armor. this is apparently proper grounds to kill himself and leave his wife and child to live in poverty). for an even earlier example just look at achilles in homer.

it wasnt until the 5th century bc that socrates offers the revolutionary alternative of being able to live up to an absolute morality which exists regardless of other peoples opinnions.

of course we want to prove to others that we can do great things, but when i think about it it all seems quite vain.

sorry for being a prick, but i still dont agree with you

have a good christmas
>>
>>5905064
Talking was implied, but not to much.
Let's say about 30 minutes max.
>>
Make more noise. Start going to more local noise shows. Read a few more books. Fuck bitches. Get money.
>>
>>5905095

Nope
>>
To learn how to handle the heart.
>>
>>5906067
>tl;dr

hustle
>>
i start most of my real goals independent of new years. however, im suprised so many nerdos here actually have 'read more books' on their lists. if anything, i'm actively trying to not read so much as i have a tendency to leverage it extensively as escapism from my own life & thoughts.

my goal is to stop being so 'ideologically' asocial as some justification for being insecure yet insanely self-involved.

on an unrelated note, listening to that overhyped d'angelo album and its srsly lel how overrated this shit is god dayum.

also the captchas now are insanely difficult, fuck you botnet
>>
>>5906106
>my goal is to stop being so 'ideologically' asocial

yeah, you have to give that up if you ever want to do anything, sorry but being social is pretty much the key to everything, unless your plan is to be "discovered" after you die, which is a stupid plan
>>
get gf, get job, cut the shit.
Be a man.
>>
>>5906113
i give it two weeks before you're back to wackin it to deepslutpuppy's videos on xhamster
>>
File: image.jpg (95KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 640x960px
>>5906106
I bought some /mu/tant faggot that album on iTunes despite it being on the archive for whatever reason. I've yet to listen it; should I?

Also, captcha seems easier than it used to be for me.
>>
>>5906117
if you're into black music, and i don't mean like minstrel show hippedy hoppery black music made for white kids but like really black shit
>>
>>5905900
that's what, five hours a day? It's a lot but not impossible. It's all about being efficient with your time.
>>
>>5906124
How black? I listen to drill. Blacker?
>>
>>5906130
drill is minstrel show stuff for wiggers
>>
>>5906133
I don't know any white people that listen to drill tbh. Shit's made in Chicago by intercity hood niggers for other intercity hood niggers and afaik most of them are sincere gangbangers. Dunno how white that is
>>
>>5906141
dude, please...
>>
>>5906141
i saw an interview with the kid who makes beats for chief keef, he was making his beats on his gaming pc using fruity loops and when keef would play a show his mom would load him and his dell into her toyota and drive him to the show...i was like this nig is soft as fuck, drill is pussy shit for whites
>>
File: image.jpg (281KB, 986x1382px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
281KB, 986x1382px
>>5906144
I'm not even white man, cut your cultural appropriation bullshit
>>
>>5906141
as someone who works with a lot of "innercity types" (mainly because i work in the innercity) they listen to a lot of shit that white guys and jews really hate, like 50 cent, jadakiss, fabolous, d-block etc. the only chicago guy i heard them talk about was king liouie, and that was with some skepticism
>>
>>5906150
oh please you dad is probably some rich "hispanic" (lightskin as fuck) who ran away from venezuela cuz boohoo taxes too high on my bourgeois ass
>>
>>5906148
There are drill producers and rappers beyond chop and keef and I'm assuming his mother was driving before he was old enough to because Keef drives now. He mentions his mom in his music a lot lol family is a big theme. Either way I don't want to argue authenticity of drill rappers on /lit/ of all places, though I'm sure Sosa in particular is much less into the gang banging "hardcore" shit now that he's got money.
>>
>>5906117
having listened to more of it, its okay but inconsistent imo, some parts are nxtlvl tho. by no means AOTY though. its not _that_ 'black', whatever that means.

its better than most p4kcore shit atleast.

>>5906112
yeah ik. i sort of oscillate between being somewhat friendly and social and then getting depressed and misanthropic every year or so, it sucks. ive started exercising and running in hope of bringing some stability into my life.

usually the issue is that i end up feeling an internal dissonance when i go out in society because i 'care' too much about stupid (read: am elitist with) pseduo-intellectual bullshit like book-readan and music-listenan. though ive toned this down extensively over the past year or two, i still cant seem to relate to most people, since i would rather to just talk to people about this sorta shit than just go and 'have fun'. i have a small group of friends that serve this purpose, but they are sorta spread out across my state.

im just incoherently ranting at this point, i dont even know what i want or in what direction i should be heading.
>>
>>5906162
I'm not Hispanic either.

>>5906152
Drill is a Chicago scene; naturally it'd be popular in Chicago. Do you work with Chicagoan intercity types?
>>
>>5906166
the point is if the kind of "black music" you like is about shooting people, selling drugs, fucking bitches and all around being a republican's caricature of a black guy then you probably won't like D'Angelo's shit and you should go listen to The Weeknd or whatever other closet fag shit is big in the suburbs right now
>>
>>5906175
specifically, i dont actually _talk_ about books or anything that im interested in because if i speak whats on my mind i come across as bookish/weird at best, and snobbish at worst. i can turn this off and just be relatively normal, joking, etc, but it just grinds at me because eventually this leads me to feel insincere / un'real' to an extent, which leads me to dropping out of society entirely.
>>
>>5906180
>music about shooting people, selling drugs, and fucking bitches
>is made by black people
>caricature of black people by republican white men
>IS MADE BY BLACK PEOPLE
>black people that shoot people, do drugs, and fuck bitches
>is just a caricature of black people

Not him but you sound like a doofus. Obviously not all black people are like this but come on, these people actually do these things. Drill music isn't made by rich white folk to perpetuate their stereotypes and scare white people.

I think it's considered black music because it's polarizing to outsiders. Your average white guy will hear a drill track and say "wow this sounds stupid. Hurr durr, kill people smoke weed fuck bitches, yeah yeah. Typical caricature of blacks." without considering that it's sincere music, just like you've done. If anything you sound like you're too white for it eh
>>
Ask my gf to marry me, not really a resolution just a plan for the new year, maybe on valentine's day

what's the most /lit/ way to propose? I'm guessing asking her in some kind of rustically charming coffee shop in Paris
>>
>>5906180
The kind of trendyfags who like drill will also hop on the D'Angelo bandwagon, don't worry.

>>5906198
>these people actually do these things.

lol. most of the ones you listen to don't.
>>
>>5906175
>usually the issue is that i end up feeling an internal dissonance when i go out in society because i 'care' too much about stupid (read: am elitist with) pseduo-intellectual bullshit like book-readan and music-listenan. though ive toned this down extensively over the past year or two, i still cant seem to relate to most people, since i would rather to just talk to people about this sorta shit than just go and 'have fun'. i have a small group of friends that serve this purpose, but they are sorta spread out across my state.
If it helps I 100% share that feel.
>>
>>5906216
>most of the ones you listen to don't
Ayy we have a clairvoyant over here. Tell me, what will I have for dinner three nights from now?
>>
>>5904024
There's this asian girl I'm wooing. I'll continue that and get in a relationship.
Also, she's pretty hot so lots of People will be upset.
>>
>>5905353
Thanks.
>>
>>5906226
>asian girls

beta as fuck bro, just looks like you have a tiny dick and a cartoon fetish
>>
>>5906250
Merry Christmas.
>>
>>5904433
go back to /r9k/
>>
>>5906201
Don't propose on a holiday. It's tacky and ruins the specialness of the proposal. Choose a day with no prior special meaning. That way when you propose it becomes special and only belongs to the two of you. By the way congrats.
>>
>>5906255
you think? I mean, it's not like we'd marry on valentines, I'd just propose

plus I kinda want to do it early in the year, she's quite christian and has been hinting that she wants to for a while now, honestly I don't want to wait either so I'm just thinking the best time I can before, say, April
>>
Get fuckhuge.

Not a resolutionfag though. I joined two months ago and got hit by a fork lift at work and couldn't start lifting. Should be good to go mid January though.

I also plan to read 24 books this year. It might not sound much but half of them are over 700 pages and I don't get as much time to read as I like.
>>
>>5906295
>Get fuckhuge.

god why does 4chan attract so many homosexuals? is it all the anime or what?
>>
>>5906295
That's not really how reading works, or reading well, at least.
If you read with a deadline, you start scanning and missing things which is kind of defeating the purpose of reading. I hope you're at least reading fiction.
>>
>>5906295
>got hit by a fork lift at work
What the fuck is it with fork lift drivers and being fuck all idiots?
My grandfather was hit by a fork lift in his fifties and couldn't work again after that because it caused permanent damage to his hips. The man's 74 years old now and can't stand up without unbearable pain and my grandparents have very little income because he was never able to put his engineering degree to any good use.

Fuckin' fork lifts
>>
>>5906300
>hat's not really how reading works, or reading well, at least.
>If you read with a deadline, you start scanning and missing things which is kind of defeating the purpose of reading.

well, i can tell someone's never been to grad school...
>>
>>5906306
>he was never able to put his engineering degree to any good use.

i dont know why but that made me lolllo
>>
>>5906298
Not exactly. I'm 6' 4" but a hungry skeleton and I want to look a bit more in proportion. I'm also horrendously unfit so even if I don't get big I'll be much healthier.

>>5906300
I worded it badly. I bought myself 24 books this year and am hoping to have read them all by next year. I didn't set myself a "two books a month" plan, I just hope to have read them all. If I don't so be it. I'm not going to force myself to read them because it could suck the fun out of it.
>>
Finish cut from 85kg, currently at 72kg between 10-12% bf. Will finish at 8%.

Maintain 8% bf forever and lean bulk forever. No gallons of milk for me.

Continue to read and will kick it up a notch.

Continue to work against, constructively, the laziness of my nature.

Get a job, get a life.

No pressure.
>>
>>5906309
talk about human error
>>
>>5906306
The driver fucked up placing something and it was going to fall on the truck. He panicked and reversed without looking. I had almost walked past and the back hit my left ankle and fractured it.
>>
>>5904024
stop masturbating
get my GPA to >= 3.5
get into U Edinborough's year abroad program through my college
starting going to the gym regularly

2+3 are the only ones I'm really serious about
>>
>>5906339
oh get a paid summer internship
>>
>>5906383
>paid
>summer
>internship
Lol not gonna happen
>>
>>5906328
if you had a union that wouldn't have happened, enjoy your shitty "right to work" state and your incompetent stoned undocumented fuckwit co-workers
>>
>>5906389
paid internships are the norm in engineering
>>
>>5906391
You appear to have made assumptions that are false in every part of your post.
>>
>>5906389
I'm in CS and my school has crazy good internships. Most of my friends are getting paid.

I'd be happy with unpaid but it would be awesome to not be broke next fall.
>>
Get my shit together, stop being so boring or feeling like I'm boring, get that motivation and that confidence I used to have, stop being so sad all the time and stop being such a pussy.
>>
Work out, eat well and gain the confidence to kill myself
>>
>>5906462
that was like the only one in this shit that wasn't annoying
>>
>>5906449
I am painfully aware of how boring I am. I don't want to see my vest friend until I get my shit together because its basically him talking about what he's done for three months whereas I've posted on this board, read books, worked and watched films. I'm happy, but I have nothing of interest to offer in social situations.
>>
>>5906479
i'm so bored of people telling me they lived in thailand, thailand is the most unoriginal fucking place on the planet to live, it's like the most mainstream foreign friendly place in southeast asia, seriously ,if you ever lived in or visited thailand just keep it to your fucking self, it's about as exciting as going on a cruise to the bahamas or some shit
>>
File: Penguins.jpg (760KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Penguins.jpg
760KB, 1024x768px
>>5904024
>change my reading habits and finally get some mental peace
>stabilize my relationships with parents and gf
>start reading only in English
>pass nicely TOEFL in April
>GPA >= 4.5
>end my bachelor's studies with thesis in topology which'll be accepted as publication in some journal
>honestly work over the next few months and put away money for master's studies (I'm fucking tired of it now)
>be accepted at Bonn uni (pure mathematics) and get some nice scholarship which'll (together with the money I'm now putting away) allow me to focus only on research and learning things that I enjoy for the next 2 years

wish me good luck anons :3
>>
>>5905900
I don't really think so. Did you look at my other resolutions? Reading is my job, my career, my life in academia and my main hobby. I generally read around 130 a year anyway, but I want to step up my publishable research next year. So I'll need to read more anyway.
>>
>>5906479
if i wanted to hear people brag about their vacations and talk about parties they went to i would sign up for facebook ok that is the shit that is fucking boring
>>
>>5904052
Unfortunately you're a mediocre thinker thereby I don't foresee you getting anything published.
>>
File: tumblr_mxyktsPDm71rxdbf8o1_1280.jpg (57KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mxyktsPDm71rxdbf8o1_1280.jpg
57KB, 640x640px
Start painting
Travel to Burma
Learn German & Chinese Mandarin
>>
>>5906503
I've always wanted to go to Burma. I watched the Top Gear Burma special last night and now there is nothing I want to do more than go there.
>>
>>5906106
>if anything, i'm actively trying to not read so much as i have a tendency to leverage it extensively as escapism from my own life & thoughts.

Not all of us use it as escapism though, and for some of us it has direct relation to the rest of our "real life" endeavors.
>>
>>5904286
Time to hit up that children's section man.
>>
>>5906587
Nah, he could squeeze in Child of God and Outer Dark quite comfortably. Maybe a couple of Tom Sharpe novels. One day for each of those is being conservative.
>>
>>5906507
That's funny; Top Gear always made me want to visit all the places they did specials in.
I suppose all those travel shows do. Idiot Abroad made me very wanderlust, too.
>>
File: tumblr_nafo9e2rVK1sg3wd3o1_500.png (646KB, 500x515px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nafo9e2rVK1sg3wd3o1_500.png
646KB, 500x515px
>>5906507

I haven't seen that program, Top Gear.

While I was in Afghanistan, I read Ghosts of Empire. It covered all the countries that the British colonized and the legacy they left. Burma stood out to me a lot. Moreover, Indochina history and culture is really interesting.
>>
Make her my gf.
>>
>>5905477
cant say it any better
>>
lose some weight and read some books
>>
stop coming to lit
cease all interest in literature and become a man instead
>>
read books
learn a language
start lifting
find a job
don't fuck up in classes like i did this year
>>
>>5905936
You didn't even finish the realisation that that joke is lame
>>
>>5906990
>learn a language

I recommend the Italian
>>
>>5907022
>implying I don't speak it already
>>
>>5907043
>I will not respond to the poster like a human being, but like a sperg autistic neckbeard NEET.
>>
>>5905936

Go back to reddit you faggot
>>
>>5904024
to stop reading /lit/
>>
>>5906339
>stop masturbating

guaranteed fail on 2 january
>>
>>5905993
It is vain till some extent. But a lot of things are objectionable when you think about them from your bedroom, it doesn't change their realness. As much as you reason with yourself, if you're playing football and there is a group of fit girls/family watching, you feel some pressure, it's the same with sharing your goals. If you fail while nobody knows, it doesn't matter. If you don't even try or fail when everyone knows, everyone will know you have failed. The stakes are higher.

This doesn't mean I appreciate the facebook posts on how far a person ran today.
>>
>>5907065
Mine too.
>>
yo anyone have that youtube video of the kid who calls john green a pleb?
Thread posts: 187
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.