[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Extra juicy! | Home]

Stoner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: stoner-414787.jpg (17KB, 590x350px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
stoner-414787.jpg
17KB, 590x350px
Finished reading this last night and can't stop thinking about it. Jesus Christ, what a downer. All life ends in failure. It is devastating.
>>
>>10035748
life is work. it always was for stoner, ever since he started on his families farm. i wouldnt say its sad but really just disappointing. he manages to do his best during terrible times.

and
>did edith have bpd?
>did edith destroy graces life?
>was lomax really that terrible, or just so overly insecure he has to cripple stoner as well when it looks as though stoner is messing with the other cripple student?
>was stoner weak?
>is it better to live like stoner and not let most shit get to you? or would his life had been better if he had stirred shit up when he could have?
>whats the purpose of the campus and teaching to stoner?
>whats the contrast between stoner and his professor?
>>
>>10035748
With me it started with failure, not sure where it will end
>>
>>10035783
>did edith destroy graces life?
Yes. she pressured Grace to be "popular" and Grace bought popularity the only way she could - by becoming a slut who screwed half the boys in high school and college. forcing her into being somthing she was not made her an alcoholic.

>was lomax really that terrible, or just so overly insecure he has to cripple stoner as well when it looks as though stoner is messing with the other cripple student?
Yes, he was terrible. It was all down to letting his mask of ironic amusement and reserve drop when he got drunk at Stoner's party and made himself vulnerable. Walker the crippled student was a weapon of Lomax to screw up Stoner's course and reputation.

>was stoner weak?
I wouldn't say so, he was a stoic.

>is it better to live like stoner and not let most shit get to you? or would his life had been better if he had stirred shit up when he could have?
I wish he had fought back against Lomax and divorced Edith when she started fucking up Grace.
>>
>>10035865
>I wish he had fought back against Lomax
for that, i kinda felt he did his best. its not like he go out and attack lomax, its a campus and his job. he tried pretty hard i think.

and lets not forget that grace had the kid simply to leave that house. graces life before was simply to make edith feel secure.

and i almost cried when edith took grace away from him. i really wanted him to hit her.

do you think feminists would hate this novel simply because the largest female character in the novel is a psycho bitch?
>>
>>10035946
I would be interested to hear a feminist take on it. However Edith is balanced out by Katherine and Lomax is also a malicious character. Edith is clearly mentally ill so maybe she can't be blamed too much.
>>
>>10035748
I don't think you truely got the message.
>>
>>10036067
Then enlighten me.
>>
>>10035748
I don't see how you got that all life ends in failure out of the novel. It portrayed how one man's life ended in failure, partially because of his decisions and partially out of the particular constraints of small town early 20th century middle class life.
>>
>>10036126
I disagree. I think the message is that life generally is a long series of defeats and disappointments and the only way to win is to meet it with stoicism and go to the grave with dignity.
>>
>>10036157
This
>>
>>10036157
my first read, i felt it was more about stoner making rough decisions throughout his life and having to deal with the results of them. he learned how to take the bad times and make the best out of it.

and does anyone have anything to add about stoner and his work? what was the campus life for stoner? what was with the renaissance and medieval stuff? thats the one part in the novel i started drifting.
>>
>>10035748
Stoner died happy, in the end.

>>10035783
No.
Yes.
Insecurity which then became malice.
No.
Stoicism mostly, stirr when needed at risk.
Like he said, the campus was the real world to Stoner, a microcosm of all the good and bad.
I'd say there is no contrast, that Sloan was just a future Stoner.

The real question is, what attracted Stoner to Edith in the first place?
>>
>>10036503
>The real question is, what attracted Stoner to Edith in the first place?

She was hot.
>>
>>10036503
>Sloan was just a future Stoner.
but sloan was able to die in his work, stoner had to opt out because of his cancer. and what did the kids in his yard running across mean?
>>
File: Stoner.jpg (163KB, 772x1230px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Stoner.jpg
163KB, 772x1230px
>>
>>10035748
ANDREW?
>>
I wasn't convinced by Lomax's enmity. He affects an air of ironic politeness and remains aloof from people because of his deformity. Then he uncharacteristically turns up at Stoner's party, gets drunk and opens up, talking all night about how lonely he is. I can see how he would be angry with himself and spurn Stoner's attempts to be familiar and friendly to retreat back into his shell but that elaborate plot using Walker as a weapon to fuck up Stoner's reputation? Just doesn't ring true. Are there people who would go to those lengths for no very good reason?
>>
>>10037024
John, actually.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.