[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Budget options?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1471222314994.jpg (869KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471222314994.jpg
869KB, 1920x1080px
Hey /k/
Sorry for the nooby question, but what is a good starter rifle for extended home defense?
Very, very, very tight budget. So things like "go to gun fair to buy" and the like is also helpful.

I just went through Irma and things almost got nasty in our neighborhood due to looting, and people trying to steal goods.
I have a ruger 10/22 but I want something actually damaging. Im also not convinced a 10/22 has any amount of scare factor to deter people.
It also jams consistently, so if anybody has a fix for that let me know. I use CCI ammo with it but still get jams. Maybe a new ejector?
>>
>>35189942
AR-15s are as cheap as they are ever going to be right now. Cheap AR like an M&P-15 or PSA. Decent mag, flashlight. And that's it.
>>
A shotgun
>>
>>35189971
You're drunk again, Mr. Biden, go home.
>>
>>35189942
What kind of Jams are you getting with your 10/22, take off the stock and make sure the barrel is on tight.
As far as budget rifles go ARs are dirt cheap now, but if thats out of your price or style .308 bolt actions by Savage are priced well.
If budget and stopping power are your main concern s a shotgun may do you well as they are much cheaper than rifles, usually.
>>
Not sure on cheap rifles. But shotgun, Mossberg Maverick 88 200$.
>>
>>35189942
Are handguns an option?
If not, I'd buy some hollow point .22s, a flashlight, and an extendo clip for the 10/22. A gun is a gun, and I doubt your local hooligan is going to be rational enough to identify the type- even less once the bullets fly.
>>
You can always look into Hi-Point carbines.

Or like another anon said try to diagnose the jamming problem on your .22. If somebody gives you shit about the stopping power of a .22 ask them if you can shoot them with it.
>>
A Ruger American in .223 with a Nikon scope.
>>
>>35190027
stove pipes mostly. thats why im thinking ejection.
rarely FTF.
What is the best AR bang for your buck?
I can save up a bit if needed, I just dont want one that will shit the bed on me.

>>35190087
I have a taurus PT709 but its so small that its not comfortable to fire a lot of rounds through.
Figured I would just get a more substantial gun instead of picking up another handgun.
>>
>>35190125
does a .22 actually have the stopping power needed?
I hear all these tales of people not even realizing they have been shot.
Im mostly looking for that deterrence factor.
I would go with shotgun but there isnt a range I could shoot it at within probably 50 miles.
>>
>>35189971
This is the correct answer

>less expensive than similar quality rifle
>more versatility in game hunting
>98% one shot stops
>>
>>35189942
Whats your opinion on a shotgun instead of a rifle?
Cheaper, plinking ammo, and cheaper overall price. Also undoubtedly reliable as well as versatile.
>>
>>35190177
Honestly it all depends on the person that's getting shot. Just magdump until they either fall down or run away
If you're so worried about stopping power, shotguns are probably your best choice in terms of price/power.
A maverick 88 with slugs shouldn't cost you more than $250, and I'm sure you can find something off-brand for less
>>
>>35190177
>does a .22 actually have the stopping power needed?
Stopping power does not exist below 50bmg or other small cannons. But! it will kill people great! just put two or three in the chest and they'll stop. most people are pretty damn allergic to projectiles moving above the speed of sound.
>>
Hunting rifles are generally pretty cheap. Fairly low cost ammo too. Right now you can get an Ruger AR556 for $450 now if you can something "fancier"
>>
>>35190257
>>35190275
thanks for the advice guys!
Ill probably look into the shotgun option and then just upgrade my ruger as well.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.