[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Go to my LGS, see a retro carbine that would match my A1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_8234.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8234.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>Go to my LGS, see a retro carbine that would match my A1 clone
>Good price too, I'm excited
>Message a buddy who knows a bit more than I do, he says that these older Colt ARs won't accept FCGs from anything else due to the holes being off or something

Is this true? Could this be fixed? This thing felt great in the hands, but I won't deal with it if I can't drop other parts in.
>>
>>35184613
Is that even a Colt? Looks like a frankengun to me
>>
>>35184634
check the front takedown pin and slabside lower receiver. Definitely one of the 80s Colt rifles
>>
>>35184696
>>35184613
Tbh if it is original Colt you shouldn't be dropping other parts in it anyhow, just leave it factory. If you wanna do that just build a clone or buy a Troy for less than that Colt.
>>
>>35184613

colt used small hammer and trigger pins in their civilian lowers until like 5 years ago.
>>
>>35184613
You can get Colt large pin parts easily since they were common for decades. $1500 isn't a good price for an AR though since you can build a more period correct CAR15/XM177/Generic retro Colt clone for less from parts. The only thing you won't have is the "Olt" roll mark, but you'll have correct sized trigger pins, a proper front take down pin, and fenced lower.

Can anyone tell me what Colt model number has the 16" barrel, A1 rear sight, and shell deflector? I can't remember right now and my google is weak. Wasn't it the Colt 80X?
>>
>>35184784
He's basically paying for the novelty of it being an older hard to find Colt. Wouldn't wanna use it much probably
>>
File: m733c4.jpg (134KB, 700x536px) Image search: [Google]
m733c4.jpg
134KB, 700x536px
>>35184613
It would be pretty decent still.
Old Colt rifles had a different FCG, BCG and receiver, and the receivers were different too.
This would eventually be changed as it was learned that these rifles could be converted to fire full-auto by the trivial addition of two stamped pieces of steel attached together (a so called Lightning-Link, which only works in old spec ARs and if legally registered can be worth as much as $8000). Think there was a couple of other reasons they changed them too.

>>35184784
I wouldn't be sure of the model but the upper makes me think of 700 series models. Looking at select-fire M733 models, some feature A1 sights, some feature A2 sights. All of them have fenced lowers though, so I think the gun could be older.

It's also possible it's a Frankenbuild, Diemaco/Colt Canada made A1 uppers with A2 style deflectors, and they crop up on occasion, they are also copied by NDS, like most retro AR parts.
>>
File: IMG_8233.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8233.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>35185575
This is the guts. This is one of the old DIAS-accepting ones?
>>
File: IMG_8232.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8232.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>35186165
I recall the term "Lightning Link". Is that the same as that goofy infographic? Maybe I'm not open-minded enough, but I don't feel like I could trust that over just doing a proper build with an FA FCG/BCG. But the "proper" parts don't fit in these old Colts, right? I heard the pin holes are different to prevent that.
>>
>>35186192
You might have seen an infographic passed around, yes.

What it does is that it will keep tripping the sear when the gun goes back into battery as long as you hold the trigger down. It's not so much a DIAS as it's a 'hack'.

They can be made to work on new rifles if you modify them a bunch.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.