[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of helmets were the australian soldiers issued in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: images-205.jpg (8KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
images-205.jpg
8KB, 250x201px
What kind of helmets were the australian soldiers issued in the vietnam war?

Did the helmets also have covers on them thst were camo?
>>
>>35183052
by '68 they wore M1s
>>
>>35183056
That's where I'm confused, did thr M1 helmets have covers on them that were camo?
>>
File: images (41).jpg (23KB, 497x296px) Image search: [Google]
images (41).jpg
23KB, 497x296px
M1 steel.
Most commonly used hessian from sandbags and/or scrim-scarf mesh as improvised covers.
Tucked under liner and with large rubber band to mould it down.

Was still doing same until 1990s and got kevlar lids.
>>
>>35183068
I was sure they were using auscam / DPCU camo covers for the helmets.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (70KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
70KB, 443x332px
>>35183068
Like this, but usually not the loose raggy bits to break up outline as they snagged on everything
>>
M1's. Although I'm not sure how used they were, I've heard that they weren't used much by Australian troops (keep in mind, my knowledge of the Vietnam War is minimal at best).
>>
>>35183072
Nah.
Even when we got first DPCU in 1991 all we used were old dpcu shirts to replace hessian.
The kevlar was the first to have an official cam cover.
>>
>>35183080
Interesting been seeing aussie vietnam era helmets sold with dpcu covers.
>>
>>35183115
Either fakes or unofficial knock-offs.
Was in Townsville late 80s early 90s so an ODF battalion.
First battalions to get cams.
Then F88s
Never got issued official M1 covers. Still had hessian and scrim on mine until we finally got kevlars - after 3RAR because initially they were para only.
Unofficial story was the dpcu covers were only made after all the skinheads at 3RAR got in the shit for texta SS runes on their 'nazi' helmets, then went on exchange in germany... doh.
>>
File: images (42).jpg (19KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images (42).jpg
19KB, 443x332px
>>35183219
Like this?
Definitely not proper AGCF stitching on those cam holes.
Probably made by one of the unofficial kit making companies that also made 'spare' bush hats, kepis shavebags and other random kit
>>
>>35183234
Ones I've seen have no holes. Also inside the helmet on the side of the rim it says "Cat" and then had a bunch of numbers.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.