[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 44

File: iraPYMF.jpg (7KB, 246x250px) Image search: [Google]
iraPYMF.jpg
7KB, 246x250px
/meg/ Military Enlistment Circlejerk

" " Edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
>>32893958
Trying this again since no one responded on the last thread

I was PDQed by MEPS for too much mobility in my shoulder joints. Anyone have any advice for getting around this? Any recruiters know of a branch that might have a waiver for something like that? Tried marines but they couldn't do it
>>
>>32893998
>PDQ

You're fucked.
>>
If you ever took meds, even if you don't any more are you instantly cut off for being an officer? Australian here, thats my main goal, i took anti-depressants for a little while and even went to the mental ward(I voluntarily went cause i wanted a better diagnosis for what was wrong so i could get out of it), but am currently on some other crap which affects mood but isn't an anti-depressant. The only reason i am still on it is the side affects of stopping suddenly is essentially depression for a couple months
>>
File: l-elf.jpg (94KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
l-elf.jpg
94KB, 1280x720px
>Want to do HUMINT
>Want to do SOF
>Really want to fly as well
>Have to pick between being tied to low-manned career field thanks to needs or a war machine for the first part of my career before I either go out or fly a desk

Why is everything that I want so fucking hard to get?
>>
Would I be able to get in the us military with 5 charges (from 4+ years ago). All misdameanors

2x Burglary of MV
Attempted burglary of MV
Assault causing bodily injury
Possession of weed lowest amount

I also have a master's engr degree and a clean record since those charges (all have been expunged but I know that doesn't matter for the us military)

Looking to be some sort of technical officer or NCO in any branch
>>
>>32893998
>too much mobility in my shoulder joints
The fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>32894502
Because you're a special snowflake.
Go 35M option 40 and then drop a flight warrant packet after a while.
But don't go 35M unless you're certain you can pass DLI.
>>
>>32894652
1 The airforce has a "developmental engineer" thing that you might be qualified for. That's the closest thing to a "technical officer" position you can get into off of the street.
2) you can't enter as an NCO. Being junior enlisted with a masters degree will probably end in your suicide.
3) good luck getting waivers for all of that shit.
>>
>>32894736

I am a special snowflake. Damn shame I'm not catered to, but oh well.

What I thought I might do is enlist and try for either 18F or equivalent in another service, then commission and fly an airframe.
>>
I have a 4.0 GPA at a local community college for nuclear engineering and have interned at a plant, do I stand a chance at the NUPOC meme?
>>
How do you get a TS clearance if you have no reputable friends
>>
File: me.jpg (87KB, 750x937px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
87KB, 750x937px
Who /Navy/ here?
>>
>>32894913

This sounds like a sixteen-year-old's plan to become a movie action hero. Just drop a WOFT packet if you want to fly.
>>
>>32896095

I could just straight up commission right now.

>This sounds like a sixteen-year-old's plan to become a movie action hero.

If you can be Batman why not be Batman?
>>
>>32896136

>I could just straight up commission right now

Sure, but a commission doesn't guarantee a pilot slot like WOFT does. That's not the way to go if you want to fly.
>>
Wew, so I got a MOT IST on Wednesday. I ship March 6th. MCRD SD is calling my name, so time's ticking.

Im a fat body, but I only need five pounds to shed. My run time is passing, I'm shipping on pushups, and Im fine on that. Only problem I got is crunches. I can do 38 currently. What happens if I cant do my crunches? Do I get pushed back? I have been working this entire time.
>>
>>32895070
Nigger
>>
File: blaccced.jpg (86KB, 750x562px) Image search: [Google]
blaccced.jpg
86KB, 750x562px
>>32896545
Busta
>>
File: Ryder-GTASA.jpg (22KB, 154x200px) Image search: [Google]
Ryder-GTASA.jpg
22KB, 154x200px
>>32896680
>>32896545
>>32895070
Bustas
>>
>>32895070
I will be in 13 hours
>>
File: thefeel.jpg (73KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
thefeel.jpg
73KB, 645x773px
>come from an active duty military family
>always thought reservists were weekend warriors with inflated rank
>most heinous to me were reserve officers, as my former mayor was a Lt Colonel in the reserves and was always using his rank as a political prop
>I just realized that I more or less need the reserves to finish my bachelor's in time without going into debt
>Realized that if I commission in the reserves after that I can do something with the fellowship that I have pending without stalling my military career

I am become the thing that I have always despised. Hold me /meg/, hold me.
>>
File: Wizard spider.jpg (133KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard spider.jpg
133KB, 720x720px
>>32897349
Good luck, anon.
>>
File: 1444355102197.png (43KB, 249x230px) Image search: [Google]
1444355102197.png
43KB, 249x230px
I'm a weak faggot and can't do push-ups worth a goddamn. Trying to get ready for BMT in 8 weeks.

What will give me the best push-up gains? Just do a lot of push-ups, as many as I can, every day? Would doing a full body workout several times a week with push-up days in between be better? Or something else entirely? I don't know shit about fitness.
>>
>>32893958
Why is there a thread on 4 chNs that is both openly racist, and trying to recruit people for the military. Makes ya think.
>>
>>32897761

I find it funny for the idiot's cringe. Others likely find it funny for the racism. That's been the quintessential problem of imageboards for some time.
>>
>>32897488 (checked)
nothing wrong with changing your opinion when exposed to new information.
you're not a commie are you?
>>
>>32897660
If you can do close arm bench presses with a good amount of weight, it will help. Otherwise, lots of slow, diamond pushups.
>>
>>32897795

It just feels wrong. I'm willing to be a reservist, but I draw the line at the national guard.
>>
>>32897660
http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/try-pushup-push-workout
do this
the author knows his shit.
>>
>>32897814

That's a retarded line to draw considering that the National Guard actually does way more shit.
>>
>>32894718
Arms pull out of my shoulder joint more than they should
>>
>>32897660
lift actual fucking weights and save the cardio tier push-up bullshit for BMT
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 262x192px
Are living conditions/benefits better in some branches? I've heard hierarchy for quality of life is 1. Air Force 2. Navy 3. Army. 4. Marines. Sorry my phone is autocorrecting to Hell.
>>
>>32898623
that's pretty much right. The AF literally pays it's airmen more if they live in Army or Marine barracks because they consider them "substandard housing".
>>
>>32898623
Yes. The airforce practically guarantees you a room to yourself in nice barracks once you're finished with job training. If they can't give you that, you'll probably get BAH.
Navy and army are a mixed bag. The army won't hesitate to throw you in moldy cramped barracks if it means they won't have to pay BAH, but they're at least trying to improve the barracks situation.
Marines are shit and you'll almost definitely be in shitty barracks with a roommate until you're at least e-6 (unless you're married of course).
>>
>>32898623
Thats right. However each branch has new standards that are pretty equal, however the Air Force is the only one you can count on those new standards being upheld.

Job also ends up determining the living standards. POG's end up getting cushier barracks because they work with and suck up to the command who determines which barracks a unit is assigned to, plus the old fashioned "back in my day" and "infantry can handle shitty living conditions".

Its pretty demoralizing when your living conditions are beyond subpar compared to others.
>>
In your opinion, what is the most legit job in the guard/reserves (most compenent in general, most relevant training during drill, etc.)?
From what I gather, aviation seems to be a strong contender. Is there anything else?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160505-114539.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160505-114539.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>32898684 >>32898730 >>32898702
Does this advice change if I'm planning to commission after graduating? Also planning on marrying gf before signing.
>>
>>32898886
It's irrelevant then. You'll get BAH.
>>
>>32894913
>What I thought I might do is enlist and try for either 18F
18F is not something you "try for". It's an "assistant team sgt" position for an ODA. IF you were to get an 18X slot and make it through SFAS you would get assigned to 18B, 18C, 18D, or 18E. Then you would go to a separate course after you've had a few years of experience.

And even then the primary intelligence mission is conducted by analysts and collectors.

>then commission and fly an airframe.

So what movies and/or comic books are you basing your knowledge of the military on?

>>32896136
>If you can be Batman why not be Batman?

Because Batman is an unrealistic Gary Stu.
>>
>>32897488
>>always thought reservists were weekend warriors with inflated rank

>I am become the thing that I have always despised.

What you really mean is you're finding out the things you thought as a child are dumb and you were dumb.
>>
>>32898684
Some of our barracks are more than just "substandard". At MCAS Shit River (new river), it was three to a room in our condemned barracks, two in the room one in the bathroom.
>>
>>32899005
>two in the room one in the bathroom.

Holy shit. At least at JBLM in the old Vietnam era 4 man closet barracks the bunks were actually in the room.
>>
>>32899021
By one in the bathroom I mean the monstrous organism of black mold that has eaten through the walls and can't be removed because it is now the structural support of the building.
>>
>tfw remember was I was excited as you guys

Now I'm just counting the days until I get out and do something else.
>>
Is it possible to go from 4 to 20 pull ups in two months?
How do I improve as fast as possible?
>>
>>32899761
http://www.military.com/military-fitness/fitness-test-prep/pullup-push-workout
>>
>>32899005
fug i remember having 4 to a room to fit transients and shared head.

8 men trying to shit shower and shave in the morning for/after PT was an exercise in futility.

no warm water and in the summer they would cut the AC so you would be sleeping in your own ball soup yet god help you if your room had dust on the window sill. I remember some married PFC bitching about having to stand duty in the barracks and doing everything i could to prevent taking a bottle to his face.

to those of you thinking about joining the muhreens remember this shit. Join the airforce and live like a human being
>>
>>32899777
Thanks
>>
>>32899780
good luck
>>
>>32899043
>debill degg why is there mold in your head
>we can't get rid of it sarn't
>have you tried bleach debill degg?
>yeah but its eating the tile
>thats not possible debil how is mold eating tile
>*tile is being disintegrated by black and orange mold*
>sweet mother of fuck debill how long has it been like this
>a few months sarn't
>your gonna get a 6105 for not reporting this to the barracks manager
>but we told him five times sarn't
>then your gonna get a page 11 for not following up in a timely manner
>>
>>32894012
Lie about it lel. They won't check your medical records at your enlistment medical. They'll just ask you. And you just say "no".

Also, enjoy being a Subby. Lel fgt.
>>
>>32897660
Do more pushups. Don't listen to the other bullshit.
>>
Back when I was 15, I went to juvenile detention center for 12 days for battery. I beat the shit out of a bully, but he didn't fight back and it made me look like the bully on the police report. I had it sealed/expunged when I was 18. I didn't tell my recruiter about it. Came in to go to MEPS and he throws down a folder and asks me "what's this?". Lo and behold, it's my 15 year old mugshot.

Told him about it, he got mad at me for lying to him.I told him my lawyer at the time told me not to tell anybody about it and to just forget it ever happened. Recruiter told me he's the federal government and can see everything. I feel like a degenerate liar now.

Every time I walk in the office now, everyone tells me not to take off my shirt (cause that's what I did in the police report when I fought the kid) and the hard ass 11b addresses me as "liar".

They said it's not really a big deal, it'll delay my enlistment for a couple weeks and that they're not gonna let me hear the end of it.

I should be grateful my recruiters are bros and didn't drop my as on the spot. They let me go to MEPS and I got a picket fence. Also, scored a 67 on the ASVAB so i'm not the dumbest guy in the room.
>>
Do any Russian servicemen post or lurk here?
>>
I want to go on an adventure. Travel around, get to shoot guns, meet people.

Am I right in assuming that peacetime infantry is nothing like that?
What are my options if any?
>>
File: i.jpg (94KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
i.jpg
94KB, 500x334px
>>32899791
>be me working on a tuesday
>sergeant tells me I'm getting paperwork for dirty room
>go home that night and tell mold that sergeant was talking shit about him
>next morning tell sergeant he must of had the wrong room
>doesn't believe me but comes to the barracks anyways
>confirms bullshit, but goes in the bathroom to check the mold I told him about
>mfw he's never heard from again
>>
>>32898684
> Be in AirForce
>Hear this meme my entire enlistment
>Get to Fort Eustis because have a unit in there
>LES is fuck shit same

Fuck you guys
>>
>>32900291
I doubt it's going to be "peacetime" for the next 4 years but if you join the Marines you will still deploy on MEUs which will have you traveling from port to port and training with foreign military.
>>
>>32900372
When quarters are declared substandard it's usually easier to get permission to live off base. There's no extra money to be had living on base. I escaped by owning too many tools to fit in my dorm room. There are many ways to play the game.
>>
>>32897814
>It just feels wrong. I'm willing to be a reservist, but I draw the line at the national guard.

Yet you don't feel wrong for being stupid?

Go join the fucking Peace Corps.
>>
>>32898886
>Also planning on marrying gf before signing.

Both of you better be VERY DETERMINED, stable and smart if you are gonna make a military marriage work.

Alternate option, steer into the cuck. If you come home and stumble on a pile of used condoms then fall face first into a pile of empty beer cans, consider yourself luck the piles weren't reversed.
>>
>>32900199
It would be fine if they did. None I know of so far.
>>
>>32899955

Your recruiters sound like a bunch of faggots lording their influence over a teenager's life direction. I'm guessing you're going army.
>>
>>32897931

Because I don't feel that I should answer to the fucking Governor as a member of the armed forces.
>>
>passed meps
>already have job (15Q) assigned
>get shipped out relatively soon
Is the training easy? Is it good for shy faggots? So many questions.
>>
>>32901912

ATC is a good job. ATCs outside of the military make about 90k per year average and vets get bonus points toward hiring.
>>
>>32898277
LOL what?! Lawyer up, faggot
>>
>>32900372
>Fort Useless
Holy fuck, dad was stationed there as part of medical detatchment. I'm sorry you had to live in that scummery
>>
>>32901912
prepare to fail. I met a scout who had washed out of ATC,and he was a smart guy too, told me the whole time he was there the instructors liked using the term "drinking from a fire hose" because that's how the material was presented. Told me the first block of training they did in like a week, civilians do in like 4 weeks.
>>
>>32902002
That's worrying.
>>
>>32899955
What happened to the bully after you JUST'd him?
>>
>>32899955
I had a 98 AFQT, a spot less record, and Army/NG recruiters wouldn't even look at me during the fucking Surge because I wanted an ADHD waiver.

Am I just that unlikeable?
>>
Is ROTC just a meme?
>>
>>32902326

Are guns just a meme?

Is college just a meme?

Is rank just a meme?

Is the constitution just a meme?

Are you just a meme?
>>
File: 1481205836558.png (29KB, 741x568px) Image search: [Google]
1481205836558.png
29KB, 741x568px
>>32902336
>>
>>32902433

I'm only fucking with you to get you to think.

Is ROTC just a meme? It comes with a scholarship and is a means of getting a commission. What do you want to know beyond that? Do you mean is it all that it's cracked up to be? I've always had a high opinion of the kids on campus marching compared to the average: they always come across as polite, considerate, and conscientious compared to most college students. I've met both dumb and smart kids in the program.

What do you really want to know?
>>
What can a former infantryman do that isn't law enforcement, mall cop shit or similar things?
>>
>>32902500
Basically, I want to know if doing ROTC is worth while, and how current/former students manage classes and social events with training
>>
>>32894961
lolno
>>
>>32902525
Literally anything. Going infantry won't leave you any worse off than you were before you joined the military. It's not like once you're a grunt you're incapable of going to school or learning new skills.
>>
>>32902577
I was talking about similar careers, not a complete change of path. I'm not cut out for college anyway.
>>
>>32902586
I know you were, and I'm trying to get you to stop thinking that way. There is no civilian equivalent to infantry, even police is pretty different and will require retraining.

That being said, learning how to kill is not all you get out of the infantry. The discipline, confidence, and ability to deal with bullshit will be valuable in any career field. You don't even have to go to college. You can learn a trade like welding and do just fine.
>>
>>32902687
>police is pretty different
How?
Is contracting still worth it, or is it just sitting around in the sandbox guarding shit now?
>>
>>32902296
>I wanted an ADHD waiver
They wanted you to lie and because you dident now they have to do more work.
>>
>>32902718
Do you not know what cops do? Or do you not know what infantry do? Think about it. Just because they both carry a weapon doesn't mean they are the same.
>>
>>32902500
Not him, but I want to know what life is actually like for second lieutenants.
Do you get to pick your MOS like enlisted or are you automatically assigned according to the needs of the army?
If you do 4 years and decide you want out, do you get the GI bill like enlisted?
Will the GI bill get you a masters if you want it even though they payed for the bachelors before you went in?
>>
>>32902824

>Do you get to pick your MOS like enlisted or are you automatically assigned according to the needs of the army?

Army Officers get an AOC instead of an MOS to denote that they're "concentrated" in a certain field as juniors, but they are not supposed to be specialized. Your AOC is assigned to you based off your desires and how well you stack up against your peers. If you're better than most, you stand a good shot at getting one of your top three picks, but it isn't guaranteed (especially for the competitive branches).

>If you do 4 years and decide you want out, do you get the GI bill like enlisted?

Officers can earn the GI Bill but it depends on how you commission. If the Army sponsored your first degree, then your first few years as an officer are "paying off" that first degree. If you stay longer you can earn the GI Bill.

>Will the GI bill get you a masters if you want it even though they payed for the bachelors before you went in?

No restrictions on the degree you can use the GI Bill for once you earn it.
>>
>>32903248
Thank you,
>especially for the competitive branches
What are the competitive branches in the army?
I'm guessing the easy jobs like finance/media/logistics?
>>
>>32898623

Air Force had dorms with kitchens/bedrooms, we had poorly insulated barracks full of rodents and black mold.

>SSgt or Gunny would still ask why "the fuckin' barracks are all fucked up" and why we were all "so goddamn disgusting"
>>
>>32894012
Can anyone else give a better answer than the other guy?
>>
>>32904177

MI and infantry are traditionally in high demand, but they're also the biggest branches. The most competitive ones are the tiny high-profile ones like cyber and AG.
>>
Sitting at a hotel about to ship out to basic.

Holy fucking cringe listening to the people around me talking.
>>
>>32897488
Struggling through my masters right now. Thoughts on direct commissioning reserves? Is this even possible?

I want to serve, but I also don't want to live the service just quite yet. I'd like to stay in the same state I'm in (CO), and possibly look for work with my BA in Physics.

Thanks guys.
>>
Can I enlist in any branch if I have a tattoo of a naked woman?
>>
>>32904956

Details pls
>>
>>32904956
Lot of JROTC faggots? Don't worry, they get fucking broke off the hardest.
>>
File: 1486079770918.jpg (14KB, 234x338px) Image search: [Google]
1486079770918.jpg
14KB, 234x338px
My sense of smell is awful. Is that going to be an issue in the infantry? Or do I just need to be extra sure my shit is clean?

There's not some test where you're downwind of Taliban and have to sniff them out, is there?
>>
Is there a way to pace myself on crunches? I can do 32 with out stopping, but once I hit 32, Im dead and can't go further without struggle or without me having to move further from the holder, and even then I take it slow. Any tips?
>>
>>32905063
>>32905067
People were talking about murders and rapes and psychology of it.

I'm 20 and seem like the oldest. Also 99999999 army fags
>>
>>32905034

>Thoughts on direct commissioning reserves? Is this even possible?

Oh it's possible. Just hard to do because slots are competitive. I'm looking at going through OCS to flight school to be a reserve pilot while finishing up my PhD.
>>
Question.

Say that you enlist in something like airborne and you're getting bonus money for that. Suppose that you subsequently commission, but you commission into something completely unrelated to your first field. Do you keep the certs in the transition? Do you keep the bonus checks you're getting if you're still current in your skillset?

Followup: say you're airborne qualified as an enlisted but then commission into something like aviation. Can you get pulled from your machine and stuck in charge of an airborne squadron based on the above?
>>
>>32905062
Where is it on your body?
>>
>>32905374
I used to do 10 pull ups and 50 crunches for about 3 sets and that helped me a lot. Honestly just do crunches everyday and you will get better.
>>
>>32905601

inner bicep
>>
>>32905068
No. You're single biggest issue would be making sure you aren't accidentally the stank dude in field exercises when you pull off your socks and don't realize you just released a chemical weapon.
>>
>>32905649
I would get it covered and just be safe then. You might be able to get away with it being covered by pt gear, talk to a recruiter.
>>
>>32905451

Whether you have to repay your bonus depends on the program you're going into. Usually commissioning will not subject you to bonus recoupment (you don't have to pay anything back) but you won't get any parts of the bonus that haven't been paid to you yet.

>Followup: say you're airborne qualified as an enlisted but then commission into something like aviation. Can you get pulled from your machine and stuck in charge of an airborne squadron based on the above?

Most aviation officers don't have "a machine" because they aren't pilots. But, no, having a badge isn't going to overrule your branch in terms of assignments. It might mean you're more likely to be part of an aviation element within an airborne unit though.
>>
>>32905034

>don't want to live the service just quite yet

You shouldn't count on being able to go active if you want to later. Historically that's usually very difficult.
>>
>>32905736

I don't mean paying it back, I mean let's say you're in airborne and getting an extra $150 per month airborne duty bonus. Let's say you commission to be a pilot. Do you keep getting that $150 airborne qualified check for being airborne qualified, and if you do does that mean that they theoretically CAN pull you from aviation to do airborne?
>>
>>32905783

Getting pay for airborne depends on if you're on jump status. Most people who go through the school don't get paid extra for it...because they just go back to their regular units and never jump again. You have to actually be assigned to an airborne unit and actively jumping out of airplanes on a regular basis for extra pay. That's possible as an aviation officer, but far from guaranteed.

>does that mean that they theoretically CAN pull you from aviation to do airborne?

One is a skill qualification, the other is a branch. Airborne is not a job or specialty, it's just something you have on top of your job or specialty. There are airborne IT guys, airborne artillery, airborne supply clerks, etc. Doesn't change their branch.
>>
>>32906157

That's good. If I decide that the military is for me but that I want a different career field I don't want to get yoinked from one to the other.
>>
>>32905620
I've been doing crunches for a month and I went from 10 to 35. I just got really lazy and I got an MOT IST and ship out in March. Everything else is fine except my crunches. Im fucked am I?
>>
>When you just tryna fly a sweet F-35 Lightning II and some punk ass bitches want to pull the plug on the JSF program when it's just now gotten to the point of churning out results
>>
>>32903248
>>32904656
What AOC's does the army have the hardest time filling?
>>
Honest question for people already in the military.

Did anyone actually enjoy Boot Camp?
Or at the very least didn't think it was that bad?
>>
>>32907420

None of them, since it's ultimately the Army's choice where people go. Don't have enough people that voluntarily want to go into an AOC? Too bad, just force some people into it.

>>32907503
It's literally the easiest part of your career. It sucks for the first few days when you're getting adjusted, but after that you just turn your brain off and get paid to work out. It's nearly impossible to fail any portion of it unless you have a major disability. The people who have the toughest time are those who take shit personally and can't work as a team.
>>
>>32907503
It was fun in the way that you can look back fondly and say "Wow, that really sucked" when you're grody and when you're learning some of the skills that seem neat at the time.

Some of it legit sucked in ways that was just tedious and stupid. I can't decide if BCT live fire or EST2000 were the most joyless parts of BCT.
>>
Redpill me on the red belt
>>
>>32897660
Do pushups
Don't worry with weights, just practice with what your EXPECTED to do
Pushups, situps, running
>>
>>32907535
Are you able to swap AOC's later on or are you just stuck forever?

I was thinking about majoring in finance or logistics, and it would really suck to suddenly find myself in MP or Engineering just because they need people.
Still I think I could get through 4 years if I had to.
>>
my parents hate the fact that i'm going in the infantry and think that there's like a 70% mortality rate

we can't even watch war movies/tv shows without getting into an argument about me getting killed

an example was a ww1 show on netflix, where the germans were doing napoleonic line tactics and they got mowed down by maxims, my dad asked "Is this what you want? To get mowed down?" after half an hour of arguing i just walked away

my pop was IN the military too, albeit he was a tank operator

what do i do?
>>
>>32908565
Tell them you're going for combat engineer or signal corps or some stupid benign shit like that. Or better yet, tell them you haven't made up your mind.

Older people tend to cling to decades-old assumptions they make about this shit, and you're not going to sway them. Leave some wiggle room and let them ease into the idea of you enlisting at all first.
>>
What branch has the easiest boot camp? Navy or AF?
>>
>>32909855
AF
>>
I could have taken the easy way. Everyone who has every met me has known that I was suited to doing things the easy way. The truth, however, is that I have always known deep down in my bones that I needed to do things the hard way. That I can take a smoother path, but that the smoother path won't draw out the depths of character that I am going to need along the True Path.

Wish me luck /meg/.
>>
>>32910355
Join the army instead
>>
>>32908207
Branch transfer is possible, but only under special circumstances. If you want to be in a certain branch and couldn't deal with not getting it, being an officer might not be for you.
>>
Can an Illegal immigrant in the us overstaying visa for example enlist in the US military at all?

Blease help.
>>
>>32910948
Trump will find you.
Run. Hide, do what ever you think you can do to escape, but in the end it doesn't really matter
>>
>>32910948
You have to go back
>>
>>32908565
tell them they're fucking dinosaurs, battlefield medicine has taken a quantum leap since vietnam. over 90% of casualties survive
>>
What's AF Security Forces training like compared to say US Army Infantry training?

With Infantry being a 7/10 on the mental/physical scale.
>>
>>32911903
0/10
not even comparable
>>
Anyone do fire protection in the AF?
>>
I had a violent felony a few years ago but it was expunged. I know it should make me ineligible, but are they giving out waivers anymore? Is Trump's military expansion and/or war with Yemen/Syria/Iran my only hope? I'm in great shape, GT is 127, and I have college. I want to remove kebab.
>>
>>32912477
>Is Trump's military expansion and/or war with Yemen/Syria/Iran my only hope?
Yes.
>>
>>32893958
does anyone here know anything about joining the british army reserves?
>>
>>32910444
The Trips of Truth have spoken!
>>
>>32907621
>red belt

What the fuck are you even talking about? If you're talking about the red tabs on belts in the Marine Corps, it's because they're fucked up like that and they make Marines with AIDS wear a red tab on their belt.
>>
File: 1483760171160.png (895KB, 826x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1483760171160.png
895KB, 826x1080px
tfw about to be a REAL soldier in a REAL army

can't wait lads !!!
>>
>>32902500
I did ROTC my first semester at college. Really liked it, enjoyed everything about it, but I also like smoking pot and generally don't know what I want to do with my life yet, so I didn't want to cordon off my options by essentially signing away those options for 8 years of my life.

If I end up not getting a career out of college though, what are my options as per enlisting with a degree? Is there any kind of preference (especially Army and AF)?
>>
File: IMG_1600.jpg (66KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1600.jpg
66KB, 480x480px
>>32905399
This guy posted here rather than scoring some beer and finding some Airforce slut shipping out to bang.
>>
>>32901711
Yeah I have like 3 different recruiters all in the same office area. One was an 0311 who served in the invasion of iraq and reupped as an 11b afterword. Says the marines are shit. The 2nd recruiter is an 11b guy. Typical asshole, but I get along with assholes cause I can take jokes and throw em back out. Third guy is the chillest. He was Air Cav or some shit.

>>32902170
Well the police report made me look like the bully cause when I finally caught up to his bitch ass, he refused to fight. He talked the talk but coudnt walk the walk. Many Such Cases. Sad!

Had to do 6 months probation and a 6 hour anger management course. Shit sucked, but I didn't really see much of the bully afterword. Saw him senior year of highschool at lunch when I was walking past and I fuckin' barked at him ( no idea why I did that) and he made eye contact and immediately looked down. All in all, not worth it. Being locked up with felon niggers for the 12 days I did in Juvie was hell. Being one of the few white people was like having a target on your back.
>>
MEPS story from last week for anyone who's interested

>Recruiter tells me to come to the office at 10:00
>Get there at 8:30, have a book so i'm cool with it
>Hours go past until it's 3:00
>Finally get on the van headed to Tampa (about 2 hours away from Orlando)
>Get to the hotel, bunch of 17-18 year old JROTC fags spergin it up
>Start to second guess joinin up if this is gonna be the majority of people i'm gonna be serving with
>Meet this 22 year old (i'm 24) that's cool as shit. Tells me he wanted to go option 40, but he has screws in his shoulder so he had to get a medical waiver
>Tells me he's going 68 whiskey and that he's gonna drop a ranger packet after he's done with AIT
>He asks for my ID so he can get the liaison
to make us roomates
>Head to the hotel room after briefing and he's reading a book
>Grab my book and he asks if i'm a reader too
>Hell yeah amigo
>We shoot the shit, eventually go to 8:30 Briefing
>It's inside a game room with Xbox's and PS4's
>Literal neckbeards hunched over playing splitscreen COD zombies and Halo
>Think to myself these guys are going to have a hard time in the military
>An hour or so passes and this tall fat kid walks up to me and my 68w friend
>Asks about our MOS's
>Roomie says 68 w, I say 11x option 40
>He's going to Westpoint because he got ejected by the Air Force equivalent
>Starts going on about how much of a badass he is, saying he spent 3 months by himself in the Yucatan desert
>I start poking holes in his story, basically calling him out
>So how'd you get food for your 3 month adventure?
>"I had a 22. and i'm a good shot"
>How'd you get water?
>"Mostly Caltrops and water nets, you'd be surprised how much water is in the desert."
>Think to myself even seasoned survivalists have trouble lasting a few weeks in the wild, let alone a desert.
>I break eye contact and stop listening to his bullshit hoping he'll fuck off and blow smoke up someone else's ass
>See a latina airforce cutie and start flirting with her

CONT
>>
>>32893958
eh
this kid again
know him irl
>>
>>32913801

>Making her laugh and we're making eye contact the whole time, she's smiling
>I'm praying to the christain god that this bitch will invite me to her hotel room
>Some Air Force faggot sits down and starts blowing up my spot
>Starts saying how he's going to be a PJ blah blah blah
>Tell myself to stop wasting time, i'm not here for pussy
>Go down to the hotel restaurant with my free meal ticket
>68w bro is there, pop a squat next to him
>Some 0311 muhhhreens sit down next to us
>Hear this guy behind us bragging that he got a 98 on the ASVAB
>Say to my table" Damn, I wish I had that guys score"
>68w bro says "hey man, atleast you're not ugly"
>Laugh and say "Yeah, dumb and ugly, then i'd be a marine"
>One of the marines laughs and the other looks down at his food tight lipped, you could tell he coudn't handle the bantz
>Fast forward to 3:30 am
>Shit, shower, eat breakfast and hop on the bus to MEPS
>Try to make some Z's like Zorro, instead the assclowns in front of me are watching stupid youtube videos
>Get there, dude tells us it's gonna be a long shitty day, a lot of hurry up and wait
>Get blood done, piss done, hearing and vision done
>Now it's time for the physical
>Nuts grabbed, asshole peaked into, the works
>20 dudes sitting in their boxers in a cold room waiting for the fabled duck walk
>20 minutes of weird exercises later, it's all over
>Picket fence
>Some guy got DQ'd because he had a blister on his foot and another because he admitted to smoking weed
>Wait 4 fucking hours for the recruiter to pick us up
>get home at 9:00 pm, too tired to get drunk

FIN
>>
Would I have any trouble enlisting in the U.S army if I've served in another country's military (Canada specifically) I'm dual citizen. Would I have any trouble with security clearance ?
>>
which branch is the best to get a qt trap gf
>>
>>32914883
marines
>>
>>32913801
I am 32 and you just dissuaded me from enlisting, thanks duder.
>>
Is airborne ISR hard to get into for the air force? I know they don't let you pick your job like the army, but it's really the only air force job that interests me and if I can't get it guaranteed I'll probably go army MI or tanks or some shit.
>>
File: phone 006.jpg (1MB, 2656x2932px) Image search: [Google]
phone 006.jpg
1MB, 2656x2932px
>>32914940
either you are a troll or the biggest pussy on this planet
>>
File: 1486232321309.jpg (52KB, 434x425px) Image search: [Google]
1486232321309.jpg
52KB, 434x425px
>>32893958
I want to major in mechanical/aerospace engineering when i get out of the military, and preferably get a job in the space industry. Is there any jobs in any branch of the military that are related to engineering and will look good on my resume? Thanks.
>>
I have had it in the back of my mind to join the reserves for a while. I want to serve my country and I am the only male in my family who didn't serve (father, brother, both grandpas). I am already 32 though. I have my own business, so the six year commitment is scary, but the scheduling is easy.

I did graduate from college but I really doubt I would qualify to be an officer. I don't know which branch of what job I want, but I should score well on the ASVAB (99% on graduate level standardized tests).

I know recruiters are basically salesmen, so I came here first.
>>
>>32893998
Start Olympic lifting desu.
>>
>>32916064
The Navy and like every other branch.
>>
>>32916113
>I know recruiters are basically salesmen, so I came here first.
Ok but what are you asking?
No one here can tell you if you should enlist or not, that is entirely up to you.
>>
>>32916132
I mean like, specific jobs.
>>
Got medically disqualified. Is this the end of the road for my military dreams?
>>
>>32916301
what dq you?
>>
>>32916353
Astigmatism
>>
File: CG16.jpg (1MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
CG16.jpg
1MB, 3008x2000px
What are the prospects for an Army officer who is interested in transitioning into the Coast Guard after his service obligation is up? Would it be possible to enter through OCS or the direct commission program and transition into the Coast Guard with an equivalent rank that was had in the army (for example if I ranked as a captain, then transitioning into the Coast Guard as a Lieutenant)? Or is this entirely ridiculous?
>>
>>32916374
is surgery outa the question?
>>
>>32916377
Why do want to join the coast guard if your already an army officer?

Also why do you think you will make captain in 4 years?
>>
What do Coast Guard Reserve officers even do?
>>
>>32916408
I'm a bit of a poorfag, but I guess I'll have to make it happen if that's the only option
>>
>>32916435
idk how else you could fix that m8
>>
>>32916064

Air Force does the most space-based stuff, but every branch has a piece of the pie when it comes to outer space operations.

If you get into a space AFSC in the Air Force there's a decent chance you get to work at one of the spaceports. That would probably be conducive to a career in the space industry.
>>
>>32916418

>Also why do you think you will make captain in 4 years?

That's fairly typical. I'd say it was getting rarer, but the Army is surging back up this year so 4-year O-3s will probably continue to be the norm.
>>
File: CG17.jpg (3MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
CG17.jpg
3MB, 3872x2592px
>>32916418
Because I am curious. Is it possible?
>>
File: CG31.jpg (160KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
CG31.jpg
160KB, 1280x854px
>>32916485
THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT

>>32916433
Good question...
>>
>>32916485
My bad, I read captain but in my mind I saw Colonel.
>>
>>32916507
I was being a dumbass my bad.
>>
>>32916507

Possible in the sense that people have done it before? Sure.

Possible in the sense that there's a clear-cut path for that kind of career? Not at all. Commissioning programs are usually very hesitant to take officers in from other services. What an O-3 needs to know in one branch can be a lot different from what they need to know in another branch. Bringing them over deprives them of all that development time as a junior officer in the branch. It sets them (and all of the subordinates under them) up for failure.
>>
>>32916595
What if it is a translatable skill? Like lets say I was an Army Intel officer and I wanted to transition into the COast Guard as an Intel officer?
>>
>>32916608

That's not how being an officer works. Your particular area of expertise means almost nothing compared to your ability to navigate your branch's bureaucracy and wrangle organizations. The more rank you get, the less direct knowledge you are going to be expected to have. By O-3/4, you're only expected to have a broad idea of how the mission works.

There's a reason that most branches call their highest ranking officers "general" officers. At that point you lose any sense of specialization entirely and become 100 % a generalized leader.
>>
>>32916740
>you're only expected to have a broad idea of how the mission works.

So why exactly are officers the ones that need a 4 year college degree?
This entire system seems ass backwards.
>>
>>32916833

It's basically a fuckup test. A lot of dirtbags can't bumble their way through college. It demonstrates a bare minimum of perseverance and personal responsibility. Plus it usually shows that they can reed and rite gud, but there are definitely exceptions.
>>
>>32916374
You couldn't get a waiver?
>>
>>32916905
>It's basically a fuckup test.
I would think bootcamp is a much better fuckup test.
There were plenty of fuckups in my graduating class.

I still think it's really fucking odd that the guys who study a subject for 4 years are suppose to just have a general idea about what's going on, and the guys take a 3 month class are the experts.
>>
>>32917126

>I would think bootcamp is a much better fuckup test.

It's really not. Basic/Boot is 99 % on rails. You don't actually need to take personal responsibility because your entire day is planned, you just do what you're told. It's actively hard to fuck up, you have to TRY to fuck up.

Getting a college degree means you can at least adult hard enough to put aside your wants for 3-4 years and work on what you're supposed to do without someone yelling at you to do it constantly.

>I still think it's really fucking odd that the guys who study a subject for 4 years are suppose to just have a general idea about what's going on, and the guys take a 3 month class are the experts.

To be fair, enlisted secondary training is typically 40 hrs/week in one specialty, which allows them to dive deeper into a certain subject than most college degrees. If you spend 6 months doing 40 hours/week on one subject, you're going to blaze through more material than a 2 year degree on that subject. If you have a year long enlisted training track, you're basically cramming in a 4-year degree without any of the general education or elective requirements.

Officer college degrees also aren't usually related to their assignments. That's not how branching is done.
>>
>>32917242
wow ok, thanks for explaining it.
I had no idea.
It actually makes perfect sense now.
>>
>>32916740
>>32916833
>>32916905
>>32917126
>>32917242
>>32917404
Thanks for the responses. So to the original question.

Is it possible, and how would one go about it.
>>
>>32917528
https://www.gocoastguard.com/active-duty-careers/officer-opportunities/programs/prior-trained-military-officer-ptmo-0
>>
>>32907503
I had a hot blonde lesbian yelling in my face every day. It was heaven.
>>
>>32916377
If you have a degree in something they want, I can't imagine you'd have a hard time transitioning. Direct commission is still a thing, as far as I know. I'm just a dirty E-4 though. We've had a few prior Army officers.
>>
>>32913801
>>32913891
Sounds like the usual MEPS experience. I went last month and the hoard of 17-18 year olds were immature but all pretty good natured. At least there was free food and soft as fuck pillows.
>>
I voluntarily went to a psychiatric hospital when I was a teenager

Will this show up on my records?
I also have a history of meme depression/anxiety/OCD for 5 years with visits to a therapist.
>>
>>32910948
I wish bro, i have no problem with an illegal contributing to the whole and signing up. here m8

>http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/7/donald-trump-says-illegal-immigrants-serving-milit/
>>
File: Another Day.jpg (232KB, 579x819px) Image search: [Google]
Another Day.jpg
232KB, 579x819px
Has anyone here been able to bullshit their way through a color blindness test? I'm starting to get discouraged that I won't be able to get into any of the jobs that interest me because of this shit.
>>
>>32919137
Dude. If those jobs have color blindness as a restriction, that means you need to see color to do them. Don't endanger everyone by cheating on something like that.
>>
>>32919157
I'm pretty confident it wouldn't endanger anyone, I'm only red green color blind if I understand it correctly. That's apparently enough to disqualify me for a lot of positions though, which seems strange as I have worked as an armed security guard before and it was never a problem then.
>>
>>32919137
No, you can't fake a color blindness test any more than you can guess all the right letters on a traditional eye exam. Set new goals.
>>
Will having or previously having adhd affect my chances of getting into the Canadian army? Should I just not say anything about it?
>>
File: CG36.jpg (4MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
CG36.jpg
4MB, 3008x2000px
>>32918121
Awesome. How much does the Coast Guard value foreign languages (Russian, Farsi, Dari) and Master's degrees specializing in intelligence analysis?
>>
>>32918401
DONT TELL ANYONE AT MEPS. MEPS CANT ACCESS YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS.
>>
My goal is to score a MOS in cyber when I re-enlist for my second contract.

I want to do infantry for various reasons, but I also qualify for network node operator.

Would it be more in the interest of my goal to enlist for network node operator, or is not that relevant?
>>
Used to be PSYOP
>>
>>32902718
>Is contracting still worth it, or is it just sitting around in the sandbox guarding shit now?
That's literally what it's always been unless you're high speed and get on the WPS contracts or you work in logistics or intel. And then for the last two you're literally doing the same job without the uniform and free food.
>>
>>32920416
What were your officers like?
What do you think of Civil Affairs guys?
>>
>>32906187
>That's good. If I decide that the military is for me but that I want a different career field I don't want to get yoinked from one to the other.

That can happen though independent of any skill badges or tabs.

I worked with a Captain who started as an enlisted Ground Surveillance Radar operator in the 82nd, commissioned as an armor officer and deployed to Iraq, and then was cross branched to MI (according to him needs of the Army).
>>
File: 14587021267141.gif (110KB, 458x438px) Image search: [Google]
14587021267141.gif
110KB, 458x438px
>>32920346
>galil
>>
>>32920479

...surely the Air Force wouldn't pull me out of a cockpit. Right? Right...?
>>
>>32920346
Cyber has a really high washout rate, if you don't already have a background in networking or programming it's gona be rough.
>>
>>32920603
I do. Brushing up on N+ cert study guides to confirm as well.
>>
>>32917105
Waiver got denied
>>
>>32920451
I enjoyed my officers because they gave us the autonomy to do our jobs and trusted us.
Civil affairs is the money bags, its a hit or a miss but i enjoyed rolling with a few of them, I jsuth ated the top heavy structure. I dont need an E8 civil affairs grandpa rolling with me trying to tell e how to do my fuckin job
>>
Tell me why I shouldn't commission into the Merchant Marines?

>Free college at a service academy (Kingsport) with a BS in engineering
>Six figure average starting as a third mate with tax breaks for being outside the US
>Can work my way up to a Captain's license at the end of year 3 of the 5 year commitment
>Reserve commitment to any branch for 8 or I can go active for 5 in lieu of the 5+8

Seems pretty fucking great.
>>
File: door kicking.jpg (250KB, 990x656px) Image search: [Google]
door kicking.jpg
250KB, 990x656px
Opinions on joining the Infantry @ 25+ years old?
>>
>>32921385

yeah don't
>>
>>32921388
why
>>
How do people handle getting yelled at by a drill instructor now that everyone knows what boot camp is like? I can't imagine being able to keep a straight face while some guy who's obviously in character yells at me for no particular reason.

That's not to disrespect the military or anything, but haven't we all seen Full Metal Jacket at this point?
>>
>>32921394
Do you have any legal or health issues? If not, you should be able to use your maturity to your advantage. Make a long term plan to become a beast, study for the ASVAB, learn your history, get all your ducks in a row, and try for an Option 40 or 18x. I heard the best time to enlist is October, but start talking to them before that. October is the start of the fiscal year and also Halloween to Christmas is slow, so that is the best time to get what you want. Be willing to walk when they don't give it to you, and keep trying until you get it.
>>
>>32921524
Yelling is great. Being "that guy" and collective punishment is what you should be afraid of.
>>
>>32921538

I just don't get why they need to do the yelling. Doesn't everyone know that it's just an act? Wouldn't "I'm not angry, just disappointed" work just as well?
>>
>>32921524
Holy fuck, you're joking right?

You are being prepared and trained for war. War is rough.
The enemy will shoot at you and your friends.
The enemy will try to blow you and your friends up.
You may have to shoot at someone.
You may be required to stay awake and alert for extensive periods of time.
Your ship might start sinking.
You might be up for 18 hours guarding a post or refueling aircraft.

If you cannot handle yelling and you actually think that they're 'in character' you're not going to be useful in war.
>>
>>32921551
It's not an "act" though. There is a method to the madness. No matter how you rationalize it, the yelling does add stress to the situation. It will weed out people who can't handle it, but also let's be real, what will give you more sense of urgency?
>um... hey, private... hey :-) would you mind climbing that wall when you have a minute, please?
>MOVE IT !! CLIMB THAT WALL !! GO! GO! WHY ARE YOU STRUGGLING PRIVATE ?? LETS MOVE!!!
And the trainers have a schedule to keep, and they should not be waiting on YOU. If you're trying to analyze the trainer's motives then you're not taking your task seriously. There are a lot of things wrong with how you are approaching the situation.
>>
>>32921533
No legal issues Clean record, Clean bill of health, but I've had PRK laser eye surgery done 4 years ago and still have 20/20 - dunno if they would have a problem with where I got it done or the need for a waiver?

October huh? Any tips on negotiating a bonus for a job you already walked in the door for?

I'm going to set my boundaries with the recruiters and be ready to walk. I plan on getting an 11b option 40, and maybe later down the road submit a packet for sfas.

What was the oldest person you've guys ever seen at Infantry OSUT?
>>
>>32921580
>>32921596

It's hard to take someone seriously if they're screaming and everyone for doing anything. And what would give me a greater sense of urgency is not wanting to be a fuck-up washout who can't do what he signed up to do.

>>32921580
>you actually think that they're 'in character'

So what you're saying is that if you got a bunch of drill instructors to go incognito as new recruits and they executed literally everything perfectly, there wouldn't be any yelling going on?

Of course it's an act. That's not to say it doesn't work for whatever reason, but it's definitely an act and they're definitely in character. No normal person behaves like that.
>>
>>32921617
Not any of the guys you're responding to, but you sound like a huge pussy.
>>
>>32921608
I don't know if you need a waiver for that, sorry.

They are less likely to give bonuses when they are already giving you guaranteed schools. If you're trying to be SOF, the money shouldn't matter that much, but it does happen.

Go all the way. That said, there are many roads.

The oldest? He was probably in his 30's. He even looked older than that, like 40 something. He was cool though.
>>
>>32921617
>if you got a bunch of drill instructors to go incognito as new recruits
That's actually part of becoming a drill instructor, minus the incognito part.
>>
>>32921634

Because I don't need some guy yelling at me to do my job properly?
>>
>>32921617
>It's hard to take someone seriously if they're screaming and everyone for doing anything.

Do not say anything this stupid unless you are desperate to go home and might want to reenlist.
>>
>>32921686
We've already pointed out how you're wrong and you still can't shut up. Stay away from the military.
>>
>>32921722

I don't think you did though... The closest thing to a meaningful response was that it adds stress and confusion to the situation.

Maybe it just because I'm a bit older that the average recruit, but a straightforward "You fucked up and that would have gotten you or your friends killed if we were in combat" would have far greater effect on me than a guy screaming in my face about my bed not being made properly.
>>
>>32921736
Your first mistake is thinking this is about you. This
>It's hard to take someone seriously if
sounds like a personal problem.
>>
>>32921745

I guess the military isn't for free spirits.
>>
>>32921756
It's not for people who have special snowflake syndrome, actually
>>
>>32921759

Are you one of those people who gets upset when someone calls someone from a branch other than the Marines a solider? You sound like it.

Believe it or not, some of us are actually self-motivating and can simply be told to do something, then do it. Not everyone needs Gunnery Sergeant Hartman to not be a fuck up in life.
>>
>>32921773

Other than the Army*
>>
>>32921773
If it doesn't bother you then why complain, other than to prove you're special, or to be defiant of authority for the sake of it? You'll discover that's a problem after you take that oath, I think. The fact is that it does weed out bad recruits.
>>
to those on the force/serving

what is the lifestyle balance like?
does the job make up for all the time you spend in limbo?

people have been telling me to sign up for years, but I'm not sure if there would be a place for me in the forces.

I eat mainly rice, sleep a few hours a night and suffer from hyper-alertness.
I take orders well, collaborate automatically and have a notable lack of fear/guilt/affection
>>
>>32921801

I'm just genuinely curious as someone who hasn't served in the military. I mean, do these people not understand that there's a chance they can eventually get sent into combat? Isn't that motivation enough?

I guess maybe younger folks need more of a kick in the ass, but I can't imagine that someone yelling at me would be any more motivational or stressful than the fact that if I don't do my job properly, I could get myself or the guy next to me killed.

Obviously the people at the top are way more knowledgeable about this than I am and it must serve some benefit, but I don't see any circumstance where all the screaming would be anything but a nuisance. Are simulated combat exercises not infinitely more effective in terms of getting someone prepared to fight in combat?
>>
File: dva-players-480x293.jpg (20KB, 480x293px) Image search: [Google]
dva-players-480x293.jpg
20KB, 480x293px
>>32920346
hey I'm actually working on my contract this week if anyone wants to answer my question it would be clutch as fuck
>>
>>32921844
>I can't imagine
In other words, you think you know a lot about something you've never experienced. Shocker.
>>
>>32921847
We need the best cyber. So important.
>>
>>32921859

I can't imagine it would be helpful because I've been around people and have had bosses who yell all the time. And the response to all that yelling is not "Holy shit! Better to what he says," it's "Why is that guy yelling so much?"

Again, maybe screaming all day works for an 18-year old kid fresh out of high school. But as an adult that guy who yells all the time just looks like an asshole.
>>
>>32921870

Though I guess I probably just answered my own question with the "works for an 18-year old kid fresh out of high school."
>>
>>32921870
this

I've always worked in high stress roles, and people who need to yell are easily rattled, egotistical and not respected.

this military hazing culture is really a deal breaker for a lot of potential recruits
why would people who could be better paid, better treated and have more freedom enlist?
if you engage in widespread "hazing" you end up with an army like russia
>>
File: download.jpg (56KB, 634x442px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
56KB, 634x442px
>>32921870
>he thinks his boss yelling at him because he didn't have his morning coffee yet is the same as 13 weeks of non-stop physical and mental stress

>>32921909
>it's just a job!
>>
>>32921919

Well I don't think you can chock up the physical stress to the yelling. Also it's ironic that you're posting the picture of some fat fuck who got four medical deferments during Vietnam. Not very fucking hooah.
>>
>>32921930
>expanding military manpower
>not fucking hooah
weak trolling
>>
>>32921950

>Constantly bitching about boohoo the media is mean to me better tweet about it
>Fucking hooah

Come on, man. Jimmy Carter was more hooah. At least he served in the military.
>>
Well boys its 4:21 AM and I'm about to head out for MEPS and then (hopefully) get sworn in for national guard. Any last advice?
>>
>>32921919
if I don't get a fair wage, union rights and the best working conditions that can be provided, it's not a profession

good luck getting professional soldiers

if the army was doing the best they could for it's personelle, patriotism would get me over the line
but it seems talk of duty and honour is just being used to underpay and brutalize employees
>>
>>32921963
Another long night, sir? Don't forget your (You)!
>>
>>32894012
DONT FUCKING TELL THEM
>>
>>32896503
youre not gonna get dropped back if you give effort
>>
File: 1484576986931.png (300KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1484576986931.png
300KB, 900x900px
>>32921634
>>32921678
>>32921690
>>32921722
>>32921745
>>32921759
>>32921801
>>32921859
>>32921919
Stop responding to the special snowflake and help some of the people who are actually interested in enlisting.

Lots of good questions getting skipped over because of this faggot.
>>
>>32893958
LOL at all you losers having little dicks so you sign up to be an army guy. Fuckin fags.
>>
>>32922028

HOW ARE YOU GOING TO FUNCTION UNDER THE STRESS OF COMBAT WHEN YOU CAN'T HANDLE ONE LITTLE SNOWFLAKE, YOU FAGGOT?
>>
>>32922028
if it's not an open debate these threads will turn into safe spaces for army shills

I'm thinking about enlisting, but despite his tone the critical anon seems to have a point and all people can say to him is "you wouldn't know" and "we don't want you anyway"

I hike, shoot, travel; but what goes on in the army doesn't seem to match with the outward image.
sexual abuse and bullying is rife, wage rises are lagging behind inflation
facing an enemy is one thing without being worried about back-stabbing by the administration
if we were at war I'd enlist on the spot, but it's peacetime and I need a long term career
>>
Anyone here done antagningsprövning for försvarsmakten?
>>
File: 1448813386690.gif (802KB, 264x264px) Image search: [Google]
1448813386690.gif
802KB, 264x264px
>>32922073
>wahh wahhh
>i wont be treated like a civilian
>wahh wwaaaaaaaaaaaaahh

Please dont join, you wouldnt make it.
>>
File: star.jpg (34KB, 372x308px) Image search: [Google]
star.jpg
34KB, 372x308px
>>32922073
>safe space for army shills

This thread is here to provide information for people are interested in joining the military and there are no shills in here is misrepresenting boot camp. If you don't like the military and/or don't want to join, go somewhere else to argue about how it works. We have no influence over it, we can only tell you how it is and that it does in fact, work.
>>
File: 1482643932624.gif (613KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482643932624.gif
613KB, 1280x720px
>local army recruiter has 50-day backlog on medical clearances
>AF put my shit through in like eight days
>guess I'm going for special tactics after all

>oh btw, you need to be 5lbs under your max weight to process at MEPS
>on friday

So I need to be six pounds lighter than I am right now. Can you cut that much with just water weight and granola bars for the next couple days?
>>
>>32923024
i was 6 pounds over my max weight, you just have to get your waist and neck measured. if you are not to fat you should be fine
>>
>>32923024
ggo
>>>/fit//
they would knnow thhe best optiioonn
>>
File: 158.png (99KB, 804x490px) Image search: [Google]
158.png
99KB, 804x490px
>>32923139
>>32923162
I just had to file my paperwork during the peak of bulk season.
>>
File: merchantmarine.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
merchantmarine.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
Do I have this about right /k/?

>Air Force Commissioned: I came to fly planes and do cool shit.
>Air Force Enlisted: It's cushier than enlisting in another branch.

>Navy Commissioned: I came to pilot planes and ships.
>Navy Warrant: We're a thing lol?
>Navy Enlisted: We're here for adventure.

>Army Commissioned: I came here because my daddy and granddaddy did before me.
>Army Warrant: Came for the money, stayed because I liked the job.
>Army Enlisted: I needed the money.

>Marine Commissioned: Ooh-rah!
>Marine Warrant: Ooh-rah!
>Marine Enlisted: Ooh-rah!

>Coast Guard Commissioned: We're not ICE or DHS, we're a branch of the military.
>Coast Guard Warrant: We're not goddamned ICE or DHS.
>Coast Guard Enlisted: We're not motherfucking ICE or DHS.

>Merchant Marine Commissioned: I like money.
>Merchant Marine Enlisted: I want a commission to get money.
>>
>>32923535
>Merchant Marine
I forgot they even exist.
>>
>>32923770

They blend. After they graduate they go directly into other services as active or reserve, but if they go reserve they spend most of their time in the private sector. The sheer number of six figures starting salaries on the table for these guys is fucking stupid.
>>
>>32923535
>>Navy Enlisted: We're here for adventure.
Do seamen really live an adventurous life though?
Aside from the sodomy jokes.
>>
>>32923794
How do you even become a Merchant Marine.
I only see a tiny blerb on the Navy's site, and fuck all about MM officers.
>>
>>32923874

Merchant Marine Academy at Kingsport, an affiliated college, or you enlist in the merchant marines and after three years become eligible to try and get your license to commission. That first one is the comfy option.

>Navy's site

The Navy has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>32923853
>Do seamen really live an adventurous life though?
More then any other branch during peace times.
>>
>>32923897
I thought their job was to clean floors and fix shit?
>during peace time
What about wartime, what's the best branch?
>>
>>32923906

Depends on what you want to do.
>>
>>32924322
Shoot guns and have fun.
>>
>>32923770
I actually called the Sealift command today inquiring about jobs. The dindu on the other end told me there was a hiring freeze for CIVMARS at the moment and no jobs available. (Which is inaccurate, Sealift is exempt from the current federal hiring freeze.)

Anyone got some info?
>>
>>32924409
https://sealiftcommand.com/

seems legit
>>
>>32924580
Yeah I've scoured the site. I was asking in regards to the supposed hiring freeze. This article says they aren't
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/02/03/pentagon-outlines-civilian-jobs-exempt-trump-hiring-freeze.html
>>
How come every special infantry school requires advanced swimming courses.

I can do everything besides swim. Do I need to attend classes and shit?
>>
Can enlisted airmen attend any kind of specialized training school if they're in security forces?

Or is this kind of training done on an as-needed basis?
>>
>>32924636

They are not blanket exempt. They can APPLY for a case by case exemption. Unless you're a perfect candidate, you aren't worth the paperwork.

I'm currently in this process.
>>
>>32924696

>tfw the special forces super-soldier you spent a shit ton of money training and equipping just sinks like a rock
>>
>>32924833
Ah I see. But this freeze is technically only for 90 days, right?
>>
File: 1323532997166.jpg (148KB, 525x496px) Image search: [Google]
1323532997166.jpg
148KB, 525x496px
What does the Army do better than the Marines?
>>
>>32925004

Pretty much everything.
>>
>>32924913
Unknown. The memo says it wants a report in 90 days, not that the freeze expires.
>>
>>32925043
Roger that. Thanks for the info my dude.
>>
>>32925004
They're a lot better at handing out MREs and water.
Holding ground.
Marines are better at actual combat and taking ground.
This was told to me by a friend who was Army infantry.
The marines would go town to town and fuck shit up.
Then the Army would come in to hold it.
Marines would take the place pretty much by surprise and make the locals hate Americans.
Then the Army would come in to occupy and the people now hate Americans start planting IEDs.

So if you want to combat, join the marines.
If you want to watch your friend step on an IED, join the Army.
This only applies to infantry however.
>>
File: 1486003792743.jpg (200KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1486003792743.jpg
200KB, 1024x1365px
>>32893958
I'm 24 and considering joining the army. I'm heavily into things like military history, strategy, tactics, etc. Would becoming a Ranger officer be a good fit for something along those lines? What else would be good if I want to help with combat operations/planning? And how much of an issue will my age be?
>>
>>32923794
>The sheer number of six figures starting salaries on the table for these guys is fucking stupid.

In the private sector? Like what?
>>
>>32924851
Yeah Navy SEALs die all the time from random sinking right?
Wrong.
>>
File: 16011601.jpg (24KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
16011601.jpg
24KB, 231x218px
Going Navy, chose OS because none of the IT/CT positions were available today, got told I could change to CT later if they became available

How likely is that? Am I fucked?
>>
>>32925382
Age is not an issue since you need a degree before commissioning. You do have a degree right?
>>
>>32924696
Same, fuck swimming!

My gym has lanes but I never use it coz I can't swim for shit. I might just invest in some class at the local swimming pool so I can start doing some laps - proper form and all.
>>
>>32925382
No, I've heard Green to Gold is a good way to get schooling and get on the path to become an officer though. Thoughts on that?
>>
>>32925858
Oops
>>32926058
>>
>>32921972
Here.

Just got sworn in, I made it. Thanks for the advice /meg/ and see you at Fort Sill.
>>
>>32925387

You start as a third officer (3rd mate) or third engineer. You work your way up to one of three positions: Captain, Chief Engineer, or Marine Pilot (guy that steers the ship and can't fuck up). Those guys all make over a quarter of a million per year, and if they spend the year in international or non-us coastal waters they get tax exemptions for a lot of stuff too.

That's why I called it the "get money" branch of the service.
>>
>>32926726
What date do you ship? I'm also headed to Sill and would be cool to see a friendly face
>>
>>32926746

Sauce? A quick Google found this:

http://work.chron.com/average-salary-american-merchant-ship-captains-9863.html

Which says captains in charge of expensive-as-fuck oil ships cap out well below a quarter mil/year, and work a fuckton.
>>
>>32926806

https://www.google.com/webhp?ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=marine+pilot+salary

>HILLARD: It's a job for which they are well paid. A Massachusetts Maritime Association reports pilots earn an average of $411,000 a year. L.A.'s port pilots are municipal employees who average an annual salary of 320,000.

You qualify to be a Marine Pilot (guy who steers the ship 8 hours per day) after two years as a first mate, traditionally the navigator. You Qualify to be a first mate after one year as a second mate, and a second mate after one year as a third.

Basically by your fifth year in you qualify for a salary averaging 300-500k according to most of what I've read on it.

Also

>chron.com

Some of these sites aren't exactly trustworthy sources of info.
>>
>>32926779
Ship out May 15, my training starts the 22nd. Arizona National Guard, 68W (medic). If I find a /k/ lad out there, times will be good.
>>
>>32926848

Taking a look at those Google results, it's showing low six figures in most cases, with $400k being extreme edge case (when you're responsible for literally billions in product).

I think this is a case of "Programmers can make $500k, bro" syndrome, just because there's a handful of guys at Google making that.
>>
>>32926895

Hardly. You're looking at "Marine Corp Pilot" mixed in with a lot of those.

Smaller ton ships typically earn less, but those are what you cut your teeth on for a few years, keeping in mind that you're tax exempt for the first 100k of your income when you're abroad for a year and your direct employer is not the federal government. 400k is not an extreme edge case, it's literally listed as "average" in several states, with several others being 300k.

If you really want to be extremely skeptical to the point of arbitrary doubt that's fine though.
>>
Anyone hear about the Navy's new PRT?

They're supposedly swapping the 1.5 mile run out for a 6x50 yard shuttle run.

Sounds kind of appealing.
>>
>>32920346
bump
>>
Is it possible to go from Active duty to National guard before your contract is up?
>>
File: 1446534562710.jpg (55KB, 1000x547px) Image search: [Google]
1446534562710.jpg
55KB, 1000x547px
>>32925675
Former OS here
Why would you be fucked OS is a fucking awesome job?
>>
>>32929090
I wasn't exactly devastated by it, though I do know not too much about it other than it's like, radio and air traffic control. Didn't sound too interesting but the recruiter said it was the only other available job that used computers so I shrugged and said 'sign me up senpai', thinking I could switch.

Sell me on it, if you want, since I don't wanna go Nuke and get cucked to death if somehow no Intel jobs become available in the next week or so. Though I don't also want to settle for OS if I think I'll hate it more.
>>
>>32929252
>radio and air traffic control
Wrong and barerly
Read
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/community/surface_cs_ops/Pages/OS.aspx
Come back with questions after reading.
>>
Can I get a gf as an officer easily
>>
File: 1482488272008.jpg (49KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1482488272008.jpg
49KB, 540x540px
Want to enlist with the army, and interested in learning a foreign language. Any anons have experience in DLI or an MOS like 35p?
>>
>>32930510
can you get a gf easily now?
>>
File: 1407466184132.jpg (58KB, 552x538px) Image search: [Google]
1407466184132.jpg
58KB, 552x538px
>have a russian friend
>he tells me he's studying US military ranks
>says they're weird because they aren't centralized like in glorious ivanstan

But seriously, is our military hierarchy unique in that aspect or is he just being a slav?
>>
File: 1485584595663s.jpg (6KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
1485584595663s.jpg
6KB, 250x187px
>>32931284
What do you even mean by that
>>
Just realized some of the people I play Counter Strike with regularly aren't Americans, how do I amend my SF-86?
>>
File: 1480972297800.jpg (153KB, 589x669px) Image search: [Google]
1480972297800.jpg
153KB, 589x669px
Thread is in autosage.

>>32931462
>>32931462
>>32931462
>>
>>32931363
he means ranks are named differently in different branches. Like sergeant in the army and petty officer in the navy get paid the same but have different names and insignia.
>>
Exactly how important is dental health if you want to join the Air Force?
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.