[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So it seems the plan is to deploy "less than 50" special

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Syria_location_map4.png (456KB, 2500x2066px) Image search: [Google]
Syria_location_map4.png
456KB, 2500x2066px
So it seems the plan is to deploy "less than 50" special forces to the Tell Abyad area, so they can call in air strikes from the ground for the assault on Raqqa.

There's been some criticism for sending in that number (people saying it's too small or too large) but a small force is all that's needed to call in air strikes, and it's only natural that the US wouldn't give the kurds the ability to call in US airstrikes directly.

From the map though, going straight for Raqqa seems kind of foolhardy. Why not capture the Tishrin Dam instead to cut off Manbjj. Of course you can't bomb the dam and cut the bridge that way because of the collateral damage, but if you seize it as a checkpoint that would accomplish way more than storming into Raqqa and not being able to hold it because you have no dudes.
>>
File: Syria_location_map4.png (787KB, 2499x2137px) Image search: [Google]
Syria_location_map4.png
787KB, 2499x2137px
Better picture.
>>
you need more than 50 men to man a checkpoint. Thats why. That and special forces are meant for long range reconaissance, hence why the airstrike only policy. Using them as line infantry would be plain retarded.
>>
Essentially, the common opinion is and has been that ISIS cannot hold under supported assault.

Raqqa has always been a high profile target, kind of like what Tora Bora was in Afghanistan. The US wants the diplomatic victory of saying "Look what we did, we totally got this!" ignoring the fact that ISIS is still thoroughly dug in throughout Mosul, etc.

In short, they're going for the head of the Hydra, knowing full well it's not going to end anything- it's just a trophy.
>>
>>27791554
The kurds would man the checkpoint, the special forces would just help them push into it with airstrikes.
>>
>>27791583
i dont think the us want to help the kurds, althoug they seem like the most head-on-earth faction of the whole soup
>>
>>27791598
They already have been though?

Did you think they just magically pushed into Tell Abyad on their own?
>>
Is western Deir ez-Zor under ISIS or rebel control?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/20/us-syria-crisis-east-idUSBRE97J0P520130820

Says it is controlled by the rebels.

Here rueters say that it's controled by ISIS and that Russia is bombing it:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/21/us-mideast-crisis-syria-russia-strikes-idUSKCN0SF24L20151021
>>
>>27791621
>implying based peshmerga needs american airstrikes
>>
>>27791894
I think he was referring to the YPG
>>
>>27791531
How does the SAA feel about the kurds?
>>
The diplomatic situation in Syria needs to be resolved before military action should be used.
>>
File: image.jpg (111KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111KB, 640x1136px
>>27791531
"Read my lips, no boots on the ground in Syria"

We already had special forces on the ground in Syria if you didn't know.
Way more than 50.
These are just the "let's call in airstrikes" forces.

Anyone with half a brain knows that Raqqa won't fall to the Kurds. It's not Kurdish territory, and they have much bigger problems with Turkey.
>>
>>27792331
I think they see them as people who can be shot later.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.