[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/MEG/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 285
Thread images: 17

File: njng logo.jpg (37KB, 355x354px) Image search: [Google]
njng logo.jpg
37KB, 355x354px
So, I didn't see a /MEG/.

I'm not enlisted nor have I ever been - however, I just sent an email to my local National Guard recruiter (as I have a full-time civilian job that I like).

Can anybody tell me if the National Guard is worth it? I live in NJ and have a college degree and did JROTC in high school.

How much would they pay me, can I keep my day job, etc...?
>>
It isn't worth it if you like your civilian job.
>>
>>27772611

I'm in the PA guard and going to school full time.
Go in as an officer, it's much better.

To answer your questions:
Yes, it's worth it.
Pay is dependent on rank: if you enlist you'd be an E-4; if you commission, an O-1 - google "military drill pay" and that'll show you what you'll make.
Yes, you can keep you're civi job.
>>
>>27772629
Well, I work in politics and lets just say my job isn't going to last forever, will the guard possibly open new doors for me?
>>
>>27772611
In the National Guard you only get paid for the weekends that you go into for drill (work for them)

How much you get paid depends on the number of days and your rank. Since you have your degree you would come in as an E4

http://www.militaryrates.com/military-pay-drillpay-e1_e5_2015
>>
>>27772723
Okay, so an E4 is $269.28.
Is that per weekend or month? Can I work multiple weekends in a month?

I would totally ask the recruiter these questions, but they haven't responded yet.

Also, it's not all about the money, I have always been interested in service.. but being able to have my regular job + earn a little extra cash doing something interesting is what I like about it.. will I get to play with cool funs?
>>
>>27772761

It's both. Thats your pay for a MUTA4 which is a typical 16 hour weekend.

Some weekends will be MUTA6 (fri, fat, sun)

Typically no, you won't be able to work more than one weekend a month. It's not like a normal job, your entire unit needs to be present to work.

You'll play with lots of cool funs in basic if you're combat arms. I'm a 19D and we shot: M4 M240b, M249, .50cal mounted, MK19 mounted, along with the stryker and bradley main guns. ONly got to simulate TOWs though :(
>>
Does anyone have any advice for a 25N who ships out for basic training tomorrow? I'm physically prepared, but like the first day of school, I feel anxious.
And does anyone have any experience relating to life as a 25 series? It would definitely be appreciated.
>>
>>27773709
Basic is fucking easy. You're literally a non functioning retard if you can't sleep your way through it. Also punch your drill sergeant directly in the rank to assert your dominance.
>>
>>27773728
Haha appreciate the reassurance.
Sleeping is probably my biggest concern. I'll just have to live with sleep depravation like everyone else.
>>
>>27772611
Reserves > National Guard

It's retarded in my opinion to join the National Guard when you can do the same shit with better leadership as a reservist.
>>
>>27773781
Higher chance of deployment than reserves
>>
>>27773898
>happy with civilian career
>just wants to play weekend warrior

If he said he wanted to have a shittier time with a higher chance of hurr durrployment I'd suggest Nat Guard but I think his needs of pseudo-masculinity would be more readily fulfilled as a reservist
>>
>>27773761
Basic is the most sleep you're gonna get in the military. 8 hours minimum a night. If you're really dead you can sleep an extra hour on the freetime you get.
>>
>>27773781
This is not true.

The Army Reserve gets the absolute bottom of the barrel officers. Generally speaking, the quality of the leadership amongst Nasty Girls seems somewhat better than in the Reserve. Things will vary state to state.
>>
>>27775109
>unless Benning

>>27775153
Yeah whatever, guy. I'm talking about what I've seen and heard from bros in the great state of Texas
>>
>>27775235
Oh that's right. Benning isn't just infantry anymore is it?
>>
>>27775239
You've got POGs across the street doing their POG shit while the infantry guys are getting 7 "guaranteed" hours of sleep each night
>>
>ITT: nasty girls and tampons argue about their vaginas
>>
What's the process to become a pilot?
>>
>>27775235
>Yeah whatever, guy. I'm talking about what I've seen and heard from bros in the great state of Texas

I agree there; the Texas NG is well known as the most fucked up state. Their leadership deployed as an attachment to my unit and were comically terrible at nearly everything.

That said, the way that officers are accessed today ensures that the Reserves will get the very worst. In general, the NG has better leadership.
>>
>>27775294
Either way. Basic isn't shit. Its literally a whole 2 1/2 months. Noone gives a shit about it 5 minutes after you're done.
>>
>>27775109
I can't tell if you're trolling or serious. Good job. I think.
>>
>>27775495
Wait you think I'm trolling?
I'm a 35M. My basic was literally just us chilling around with our drill sergeant. I didn't even get woken up once, and I rolled up to the DFAC singing taylor swift for cadence.
Nigga shits changed.
>>
>>27773709
Bring phone and charger, bring 3gallon zip lock slide lock bags to vacuum pack uniforms for your ruck, bring wallet checkbook and debit card, write on a piece of paper your social security number and checking account number if you havnt memorized either, first 2 weeks dont volunteer for shit, if u suck at certain things just make sure you arent last place person, eat straight up healthy from reception to at least week 3 and if u see someone grab for a donut or sugary snack then smack that shit out of their hands, and lastly if you are issued 2 quart canteens that hang like a satchel use them as a chest rest when doing push ups so that it is impossible for you to collapse on the ground.

Hopefully u havnt shaved ur head before leaving because they r still gonna run a painful buzzer of your bald head and charge you 10$ for it, yes i am serious.

Some good pranks to pull on people. Tell them to smack the drill sgt on their rank and say "your MY drill sgt" because it will earn their respect.
If you see a LT or CPT tell them "sir/mam, your rank is upside down."

Have fun, you picked a shit time of year to ship out, its gonna be cold as fuck and cold weather gear is absolute shit.
>>
>>27775755
Thank you, that seems like decently solid advice.
The food is obvious; treat your body well so you don't feel like garbage.
My hair is grown out, I anticipated a free haircut, figured I would just save my money since I'm going to lose all my hair anyway.
I'll pass on the pranks.
And is winter really that bad? I was looking at it from a positive perspective.
At least I won't be sweating my nuts off in some shitty eastern swamp state.
I'll just freeze my nuts off.
>>
>>27775863
Standard issue cold weather gear is complete shit. Hot>cold because then u get to go heat cat 4 and have pants and top unbloused.

Fyi there are no free haircuts in the army lol, they give u a pay advance in bct which u use to pay for at least 6 haircuts that cost 10$ each including the first one.
>>
Can you ask for a long DEP period or do they just decide for you? Also, what is the minimum time you'll get for DEP?
>>
>>27775983
They give you a ship date, and you can ask for one at a later date. For example I enlisted on apr 1, they wanted me to ship out on may 12, and I had them push it back to august 2. I gave them an excuse that I wanted to finish this college semester, but in reality I took a roadtrip with my buddy to 48 states.
>>
>>27775540
>thinks basic is per MOS
>is definitely in the military
>>
>>27776019
Any way to find out ship date in advance? Is there a table or something of dates, like if I enlist before date x you ship out on date y?
>>
>>27776196
No, its when they tell you after you sign contract.
>>
>>27776139
>implying basic doesn't definitely change based on if you're combat or not combat MOS
>>
>>27775914
I see now you are correct about the haircut, I had no idea but was talking to someone and it came up in conversation and they affirmed what you said.
>>
I'm a student in uni and thinking about enlisting in the Air National Guard, are there anything I know before I talk to the recruiter?
>>
To officers in here (reserve/NG and active): how do you like it? I'm thinking about joining ROTC when I transfer to a 4-year university.
I'm in the reserves and deployed last year. I'm not sure if I want to sell more of my soul to the army. But I'm looking really hard at it.
>>
>>27775540
I've heard shit like this sometimes, like people keeping their phones with them, but that seems fucking crazy that it would change so drastically and suddenly. I only went in June 2012.

I agree that basic sure as fuck isn't hard, but it sucks.
>>
>>27777142
Lmao
>reserves

You dont know the struggles man....
>>
>>27776814
>thinking basic in any way works like that

You get the location you get. The same MOS could go to four different basic training locations prior to AIT. That includes both "combat" and "non-combat" MOS.
>>
>>27777142
Active officer here: I would never want to be in the reserves or guard.
>>
>>27777458

Okay, well that's not true. Have you ever heard of OSUT? You know, the thing that EVERY combat MOS goes through.
>>
Test
>>
>>27777575
From what I remember some do OSUT, some don't, and some do both for whatever fucking reason.
>>
>>27777458
>I don't know what OSUT is
You're literally retarded.
>>
>>27777575
>>27778099
>implying every combat MOS does OSUT
>>
Would a small painless hemorrhoid keep me from passing MEPS
>>
>>27778144
Only if you do not consent to the doctor sucking on it to test it's strength. It's a really strange test that not a lot of people know about.
>>
Would it make sense for me, a 27 year old male with a BA, to enlist in the Air Force or ANG? I'm in a shitty dead-end 9-to-5 desk drone job looking for new opportunities. I'm married and own a house. Thoughts?
>>
>>27778136

>Implying every combat MOS doesn't go through OSUT.

>>27778099

I went through OSUT not 6 months ago. I'm fully aware of the differences between Basic+AIT and OSUT.
>>
>>27778099 Sorry friend misread postlink (>>27778221)
>>
>>27778221
Cool bro, all your 6 months in the army must have given you so much knowledge.

So which OSUT does a 13F go to? Where will their BCT be? Please grace me with your wisdoms.
>>
>>27778167
Haha very funny, but seriously my friend said that they literally check your butt hole, idk if the doctor would be able to see it or not, but if he did would I get washed out?
>>
>>27778282

>artillery
>actually combat

kek pls go and stay go
>>
>>27778327

They make you bend over and spread your cheeks. The doctor I had put me in that position for about a quarter of a second and told me to stand up.
I have pretty large skin tags that resemble hemorrhoids and he didn't say a thing about them.
>>
File: 1436121518171.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1436121518171.gif
3MB, 320x240px
>>27778456
This, ladies and gents, is what someone who has absolutely no idea what they're talking about looks like. Everyone point and laugh.

Inb4 "I was just pretending to be retarded"
>>
>>27778627

I suppose you couldn't hide your autism well enough at MEPS and now you're salty you can't be in the ARMEH?
>>
>>27778193
Unless you have some HUGE student loan debt, avoid enlisted and go officer, you and your wife will appreciate the salary.

I only recommend people to go national guard if they
1)have a career that is too good to give up
2)cannot convince spouse to leave home
3)have a particular military goal, for example, 19th/20th group, or want to pick their language for language school

FYI if you go national guard you still have to get a regular civilian job to pay the bills because you only get paid by the military for days you are working which is 2-3 days a month totalling about 300$.

If you were to go active duty officer/enlisted, I wouldnt sell your house, I would just rent it out.

My wife and I owned 3 properties during my 8 years in the army. One was my family home back in CA where we currently live, one was located outside presidio of monterey(language school), and the third one was located outside fort lewis in WA. We rented the 2 properties out when I changed duty stations. Last year when I got out we sold both properties.
>>
don't join the navy submarine force
>>
Joining the Air Force. I will get a 6000 dollar bonus if I sign for 6 years instead of 4. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like my job. Should I do it? How much are bonuses taxed? What do I miss out on with a 6-year contract as opposed to 4? Obviously I can get out sooner, but what downsides are there besides that?
>>
>>27779058
6000$ is FUCKING NOTHING.

I got paid 24K for 5 years. You get a portion of bonus every anniversary year you are in, and it is taxed every time you get paid.

Do the 4 years, dont get tricked into pulling 6 for fucking chump change anon.

That way, when you hit your 3-4 years, you can re enlist if you still want to stay in, and get a fat check for re enlisting (at least more than 8k) and the opportunity to switch careers if it turns out their is a better air force job.
>>
>>27777458
Basic is changed now. They break you down by MOS a lot of times, for things such as OSUT.

But they also pull all potential SOF candidates out and group them together. At least Army, Navy and Air Force do. Marines probably don't because they have no entry level SOF.

SEAL Candidates and Rescue Swimmers will be lumped together at Navy Basic and will have to meet their entry-level requirements consistently throughout their stay.

Air Force SOF candidates have a similar experience

Army sends Opt.40s to OSUT like anyone else, but I -believe- they are grouped together and trained harder/held to a higher physical standard. 18xs are grouped together and held to their physical standards.
>>
>>27779058
No.

You only get half the money upfront, and that $6000 is taxed to shit, you're going to see a lot less than that.

Never do 6 years.
>>
>>27778888
Disregard gets, join the Navy submarine force.

Now
>>
>>27779166
>Basic is changed now. They break you down by MOS a lot of times, for things such as OSUT.

Fucks sake man, read the thread. Only certain MOS have OSUT. The rest all get thrown into basic at random, at whatever location is available for their ship date. You could do basic at Jackson and AIT at Sill. Or you could do basic at Sill and AIT at Jackson. There's no method to the madness other than an open seat in an upcoming basic training company.

For OSUT only, you are pretty much guaranteed a particular basic training location. It is possible but unlikely to complete the AIT portion of an OSUT separately. (Mostly it's people switching MOS who do this; obviously if you're going from 11B to 11C you aren't going to repeat all of basic training to do so.)
>>
>>27779279
I understand that, all combat jobs go to OSUT. However at OSUT, they separate you further in many cases. Option 40s and 18xs are the best example that come to mind.

I'm not sure that they'd separate non-11x Opt.40s from their class at basic because it would be a very, very small number and wouldn't make much sense.
>>
>>27779212
>>27779166
Thanks for the input.

Does anyone have any idea how much it'll be taxed? Google tells me very little. I'd guess I'd see 4000-4500$ of that money in the end?

I'm almost sure I won't have an opportunity for a better career - I've already been guaranteed one of the jobs I want, and I qualify for every job I could possibly want.

I'm also already entering as an E2, if that makes a difference.

I'm now leaning away from doing it though. Anyone have any idea what re-enlistment bonuses are like for 1N and 3D series jobs?
>>
>>27779417
Lmao ignores >>27779113 and >>27779212 advice saying not to do it.
>>
>>27772611
I finished military police school for the national guard just a few weeks ago, it was a lot of fun. You get to shoot plenty of cool guns you never would get to as a civilian.
>>
>>27779450
>I'm now leaning away from doing it though. Anyone have any idea what re-enlistment bonuses are like for 1N and 3D series jobs?

Also,
>if someone gives you advice you must take it no matter what and must not ask questions to clarify or find more information

It's pretty clear that I'm listening to what they have to say. The point of asking open-ended questions to large groups of people is to get many answers from different sources to make your decision.
>>
>>27779296
AFAIK it's on a company to company basis. I graduated 11B OSUT in June, Opt. 40, and we and the 18Xs were not separated. The NGs were all in the same platoon but other than that there was no criteria for separating anyone. t b h we weren't really held to a higher standard either.
>>
>>27772611
Jersey Shore: National Guard Edition
>>
>>27778757
Were you an officer? How stressful is it? I've heard rumors of Naval officers putting in up to 20 hours every day while deployed at sea
>>
>>27779924
I was an officer. I dont know about the navy, but I can count the number of times ive had to work more than 20 hours straight without relief on both hands. And those were due to dickwads not checking their schedules or shutting off their phones on purpose.

It can get pretty stressful depending on what youre doing, in my case more stress was caused from worrying about my personnel than anything else. I had to make sure my NCOs were doing the right thing and not half assing or delegating their personal responsibilities to our junior guys. I had an incident with a senior nco early in my career that forced me to take a more personal approach when delegating duties to my personnel. Ive also had problems with other officers involving negligence and lack of loyalty that eventually pushed me to resign my commission.
>>
>>27778757
I actually have been wondering this myself. I have close to $40K in debt from student loans and have been on the fence about trying for officer for the extra money or going enlisted for lower payments on an IBR Plan, maybe even getting into PAYE. Officer seems like the smarter choice from purely a loan perspective, but what skills did you have when you got out that helped you find employment from it?
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 960x639px
My original post
"This might be hearsay but does the US Armed Forces Forces offer enlistment to immigration hopefuls

I'd heard if you serve 5 years you could go through naturalisation.

Is any part of it true?"

Apparently according to one anon
Some have done it one being an Iraqi (interpreter?) and an Argantinian

I'm eager to immigrate, I figured voluntarily enlistment might help in my stead.

I'm 24, athletic holding a bachelor degree. I have been trying to get some research and aiming to be getting the ball rolling so i can have some kind of response within 6 months.

Is it a realistic option?
>>
>>27780817
Think of a company size element as the equivalent of a business company.

Commander = CEO
Executive officer = vice president
First sgt = general manager
Platoon sgt = supervisor
Squad leaders = team leaders

So i can say i have experience as a CEO for a company of ~200 employees.

the only reason to go enlisted with a degree is if you have a particular job you want to do, or you have massive student loans, or lastly you didint do rotc and dont have the gpa/scores to get ocs.
>>
>>27781132
Look up MAVNI program, thats the only way
>>
>>27781198
Thanks anon
>>
>>27772761
>$269.28.
When did that happen? I though E4 get paid atleast 360 for every drill weekend? Was there another pay cut?
>>
Thinking about going in the chair force as a PJ or CCT. I would have a college degree by then so would that mean I would be a shoe in as an officer after my enlistment period?
>>
>>27776922
Stay in school man. You'll only regret it if you haven't finished your degree yet.
>>
>>27781428
Is there no benefit to joining the ANG while in school?
>>
>>27772611
It can be.
But active is better for college benefits.
I had 2 and 1/2 years active duty guard (ADOS, AGR,etc) and a single 12 month deployment on a total on a 6 year enlistment.
Only got like 60% post 911 gi bill, meanwhile an active duty never deployed with just iver 2 years will get 100%.
It can be hard to get schools.
And getting rank is fucking slow as shit, even if you are active guard
>>
File: 80TVXGQ.jpg (22KB, 286x395px) Image search: [Google]
80TVXGQ.jpg
22KB, 286x395px
>>27772629
/thread

>retired Texas Army National Guard

I miss out on some promotion opportunities because of deployments. Other than that, it was a positive experience..
>>
I am interested in going in as an officer for Army National Guard (Illinois) or the Army Reserves.

How competitive is OCS? That is, if I have my 4 year degree with a ~3.5 GPA from a legitimate university and can meet the physical standards would I pretty much be good to go?

Can anyone who has gone reservist/NG officer chime in?
>>
>>27772611
What's the physical requirement for being in special forces? Something I've wanted to know.
>>
>>27781933
A 3.5 GPA is competitive for active duty. You should have no trouble getting into guard/reserve as long as you aren't a broke dick, criminal, or retarded.

With that being said, I am not a recruiter, so don't take my word as gospel.
>>
>>27781858
Nope. Its reallly just a waste of time.And don't think you will get any worthwhile college benefits upon joining either. There is a Guard/Reserves tuition payment thing, but its just a shitty version of the superior Post 9/11 GI Bill. Get a decent civilian job, and stay in school and join as an officer when you graduate if you still want to go.
>>
>>27782057
If you don't have the mental fortitude and forethought to do the most basic research on that topic on your own, you don't have what it takes to be SF regardless of your physical fitness level.
>>
>>27782057
You will have to have signifigant amount of pain tolerance and be in outstanding mental and physical shape. Needless to say, its not for the faint of heart.
>>
>>27781858
From the research I have done, the Guard/Reserves doesn't give a lot in tuition assistance, I get more in fucking federal financial aid. On top of that, at least in New york, you can only receive financial aid ONE WHOLE FUCKING YEAR AFTER YOU COMPLETE AIT.

In short, the Guard/Reserves sucks dick, and I don't see the benefits for all the added stress while you're trying to finish school.

Just stay in school, if you still want to join at least you can be an officer.
>>
File: 110_dui.jpg (7KB, 125x156px) Image search: [Google]
110_dui.jpg
7KB, 125x156px
PAARNG here, it's an alright gig, drill tends to be a lot of paperwork and hiding around the armory so it's not just shooting and doing cool shit one weekend a month, two weeks a year.
>>
Hey anons, hilarious fucking thing happened today in my O room.

There was a PFC waiting outside my office to talk to me standing at ease. One of the other PSG goes up to him, stares straight at his face about 3 inches away, then rips off the US army tape off the PFCs uniform, walks to the paper cutter, and cuts up the tape. Everyone in the room was dead quiet just watching at what that PSG was doing and that PFC was just standing there with the most confused look on his face. PSG then tosses the velcro tape back at the PFC, walks up to him, stares for about 20 seconds, walks into his office, everyone is still dead silent wondering wtf just happened, PSG comes out then slaps a new us army tape on the PFCs chest, looks around, and says "Problem?"

I literally lost my shit for 5 min straight.

>I was the only one who busted out laughing, in a room of ~14 people.

We asked the PSG why he did that and he said "I thought it would be fun to freak that PFC out."

It didnt really work out as he planned though since that PFC didnt even react to it. When I finally talked with the PFC, he told me that all that was going through his head after his us army tape was cut up was how he was supposed to make it to the PX without anyone smoking him along the way for not having the tape on uniform LMAO.

Anyways, was funny as fuck to me and thought I should /blog it so you phaggots know that stupid shit like this happens.
>>
>>27778757

Thanks for the tip man. I wouldn't go enlisted, I'd definitely do the Officer route. I just used "enlist" in a broad sense. My age (27) wouldn't be a disqualifying factor would it? Who would I even talk to about becoming an AF Officer?

Thanks!
>>
>>27782938
When you go to recruiter station, tell them you want to talk to an officer recruiter. They will then take your info and either schedule you an appointment to talk with one, or the guy will contact you by phone. BTW, most AF recruiters arent actually in their offices and want you to call or email to schedule an appointment (kind of elitest like that), so its probably best to call and ask if they are in, or call and tell them you want to go officer and would like to speak more with someone.
>>
>>27782938
No

Airforce Website > recruiter > Officer

Be prepared to basically hunt this OFFICER recruiter down though
>>
File: 1440473232133.jpg (113KB, 1008x578px) Image search: [Google]
1440473232133.jpg
113KB, 1008x578px
Going back in for my final urine testing and to sign my naval contract tomorrow, what do you guys think, any of the intel positions (preferably Intel Analyst) or Nuke?

Nuke seems to be either great or suffering.

93 on the Assvab, some college, yadda yadda.
>>
>>27783142
go intel mate assist in drone strikes and shit
>>
>>27783142
Depends how confident you are in your studying habits.

if confident, go nuke.
>>
>>27783167
There's a reason Nukes have the highest suicide rate
>>
>>27782367
When your in guard you can MGIB, and get kickers, state bonuses, and usually a state contribution.
Knew a guy who enlisted in Guard, knocked out some schooling and lived at home got an associates, went active, did some courses while active, then when he ETS'd had 4 years of post 9/11 gi bill he used to finish his BA and get his masters.
As for being an officer, I recommend ROTC guys do the officer program that puts them with a drilling national guard unit (usually in their chosen field - but not every program has it). It's a great way to get a taste of it, esp, if you are guard/reserves bound, I'd recommend it for guys pushing active too
>>
>>27783197
Never know you wont make it unless you try.

Just dont suicide if you fail. Its not like if you fail the school you will go "well I guess I got to commit suicide now guys"

Youll feel like shit obviously that you failed and now have to do a shit job, but that goes for most jobs in mil. For example, back in 2010, if you failed language school in the army, say goodbye to your 30k bonus and any other perks you got in your contract, you get anything lower than a B- in korean language course and you get reclassed to cook or laundry specialist, doesnt matter what your asvab score was, needs of army.
>>
>>27783261
With all the cheating stories I don't think getting through Nuke school is hard as it's cracked up to be.
>>
>>27783245
I would love to go Guard to pay for school, but I don't want to make a career out of the Mil. I eventually want to go to med school, and I believe the guard will only get in the way.

I also want to server because I want the off chance I actually get to do some cool shit
>>
>>27783310
You know you could just go to med school through the mil.....and start out as a captain when you finish.
>>
>>27783346
There are two pre-med advisers in my school who both did this (HSPS I think it's called), and they both recommended against it because you're basically giving up 10+ years to the Mil for shit pay in comparison to civilian practice. And all the while you still have to do big army shit.
>>
>>27781417
PJ is badass. But the washout rate is like 95%
>>
>>27782904
Had a hearty kek.
>>
>>27781417
Lol no. Go be an ALO if you have a degree, officer version of CCT
>>
Anyone know how much special pay SERE specialists can expect?
>>
>>27784990
Also interested in this
>>
>>27784990
Why do you think you would be getting special pay?
>>
>>27786087

Maybe he's talking about jump pay or something
>>
>>27784990
>>27786115
Well if you're thinking about jump pay I think it's $150 for E1, it's really nothing, and it should have little to no weight in your job choice.
>>
>>27784990
http://archive.airforcetimes.com/article/20141011/NEWS/310110031/New-special-duty-pay-rates

All it takes is googling "USAF special duty pay".

>>27786115
There are TONS of special duty pays out there aside from airborne.
>>
>>27786145
>>27786087
Hazardous Duty pay (Jump pay) Is 150 for every body doesn't mater if you are the lowest private or Sergeant Major of the Galaxy. You also only get it while actually on jump status.
When you are in airborne school you get the prorated amount to reflect your 3 weeks worth of training. If you go to a non airborne unit that's all you get since you are not on jump status.

Now for the Army there are different levels of Special Duty pay ranging from $75 to $450 extra a month.

Source : SM currently in the Army Recruiter School(Department of the Army Selected), before that instructor at Airborne School.
>>
I'm about to go in to PCS for flight school and I'm terrified. Anyone got advice?
>>
If anyone has any questions about battalion life I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.
>Fat Batt
>>
>>27787789
2nd bat is best bat, all others are shit especially 3rd bat
>>
>>27786115
Yeah, I was thinking mostly of jump pay, but SERE gets a pretty high amount of training so I didn't know if there was anything else that entailed extra pay as well
>>
>>27787961
Fat Batt, Frat Batt, and Angry Batt haha. They all have their ups and downs. I really love the PNW. The Georgia summers are shitty as fuck. I went through rasp during the summer. So many heat cats at Cole Range. Fuck that woodline
>>
>>27787789
I want to join the 75th. How is life in the battalion in general?
How hard are they to new comers?
Are rangers still being deployed?
One question that i must ask, above all, is it worth it? ...
>>
>>27788230
If I was still in I would say lets go get drunk, eat zaxbys, and go to target to pick up some hot moms......but that life is just a dream now
>>
>>27788275
We're you 2/75?
>>
>>27788302
No, but I have stayed at a holiday inn express before.
>>
>>27788251
Life in Battalion is chaotic. Constant training cycles. Long nights during the training cycle

Life as a new guy is rough. But definitely not as bad as it used to be. Some of the smoke sessions I endured as a new guy were worse then in rasp.

We're still deploying but it's not like it used to be.

Some will say it's not worth it. Others will say it is. I say it's worth it because once you get you're tab the opportunities are endless.
>>
>>27788344
Thanks for the info man
>>
I’d also like some opinions on joining the Guard, particularly the ANG.

I’m a 30 year old with no prior service and no college degree. I have a great civilian career in aerospace but I really regret not serving when I was younger and I hope to be able to make up for that mistake.

There are quite a few support roles in the ANG that interest me and that I feel would benefit from my civilian expertise (things like avionics, machining, propulsion maintenance) but I’ve really been drawn to some of the Battlefield Airmen careers. In particular, I’m really interested in SOWT and TACP.

Does anyone here have any experience with fields like SOWT,CCT, TACP at the Guard level? I assume most/all BA fields are critically manned and thus its rather easy to get a shot to attend selection in the active duty AF, but now hard is it to get into a Guard unit within these jobs in order to attend selection?

How rare is it to find older non prior service dudes like myself enlisting in the Guard? What would the biggest challenges be to someone like me going down this path? Any advice or words of caution?
>>
>>27789567
Idk you fitness level but its got to be crazy fucking good if you are wanting TACP type shit. Its hard to get a slot in active duty, so assume its 10x harder in national guard. You can actually google the job list for national guard for your area.

FYI military ages you, Im 27 but my body feels like its 50 years old. I doubt I could keep up with those guys for more than a year or two once in. I enlisted at 18, and my knees are blown to shit, I had back surgery to remove herniated disks, and I need to wear glasses now even though I never wore them before and no one in my family wears them. So take into account that your body needs to survive for how ever many years you end up doing high speed jobs.

I suggest sticking within your career field since it might help boost your resume if you ever needed to apply for a higher position and whatnot.

I believe you only have until 32 to join, so dont wait too long.
>>
Can go from 25 pushups and a 30 minute 2 mile to 70 pushups and a 15 minute 2 mile in 2 months? I ship just before the new year and I want to make the most of it.
>>
>>27789794
No, but you can get to a reasonable fitness goal of at least 40 push ups and a 18 minute 2 mile in that time frame which is just enough to be ale to keep up in basic and hopefully get a passing score at the end.
>>
>>27789624
Thanks for the response. The physical aspects at my age are definitely something I’m considering, in particular I’m worried about recovery. I’m a fairly active runner/swimmer and was competitive in track/cc/swimming in HS and can barely remember ever being sore, whereas now I have to be much more cognisant of stretching before/after workouts. Recovery is probably my main concern. I fortunately don’t have any chronic injuries and my knees are still in great shape.

I’ve looked over the entry PAST requirements for SOWT/CCT to get an idea of what is expected and the initial requirements don’t seem too daunting but I haven’t been able to find info on what the graduating requirements are. Obviously I expect them to be quite a bit more rigorous. Does anyone here have any info regarding what the later requirements are, this would make it easier to assess where I stand.

I’m somewhat of a manlet at 5’9” 137lbs and while I haven’t done a simulated or real PAST I believe I would score fairly well.

My mile times on track are in the 4:15 range and my 2 mile drops off to around 9:10. I can do the 500m swim in 6:00. I have no problem doing 50 meter underwater swims and can bang out 22 pullups. I’ll have to time myself on the situps/pushups since I don’t ever do those timed.

I’m in CA and it looks like most of the jobs I’m interested in are out of state. Anyone have experience with joining another state’s Guard? Does this present any problems aside from having to cover transportation costs for drill weekends?
>>
>>27789844
>My mile times on track are in the 4:15 range
are you a blue hedgehog?
>>
>>27789848
Nah, just always loved running and swimming for some reason.

I can't bulk up for shit though so its not like it helps with getting chicks. Its kind of a useless talent desu senpai.
>>
>>27789844
Well if your stats are correct, then go for it. As long as you maintain your body you could handle it.

You can do the interstate thing, most of the time your costs are covered, but dont expect too much, its the military doing paperwork.

My suggestion is to talk to a recruiter, tell them what youre interested in and that you would like them to do a mock test on you. And see how well you do.

FYI getting a hold of a air force recruiter is VERY difficult. Give their office a call first, if no answer then show up at office and see what kind of info they left on the front door to contact them. You need to specifically talk to a national guard recruiter. You should definitly go on their website and leave your info for them to contact you when its convenient for them.

It took my buddy 3 days to get in touch with an actual AF recruiter. He lives in san fernando valley and tried to go to the recruiters there, but they are never there according to the other services recruiters. One of the days someone was actually there at their office, but it was some E3 admin bitch who said to come back later. He then went to the recruiting station in Simi Valley, and at that office they left a note saying to either call and schedule an appointment or drive to their main recruiting station in ventura. After waiting another 4 days or a response to voice mails he left, he said fuck it and joined the navy.
>>
How is basic at Fort Jackson?
>>
>>27790000
Better than basic at leonardwood, and benning

If youre gonna pick a ship date best times to go are mar-aug. otherwise its snowing while at basic and fucking cold as balls.
>>
>>27790024
I hail from the north, it'll be fun to watch everyone else suffer in T-shirt weather winter. Thanks for the heads up Anon.
>>
>>27790000

quadz
>>
Friendly reminder that the ASVAB isn't tough and high school drop outs score 95s.
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 695x463px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 695x463px
I'm thinking of joining the army NG in Florida so they could pay for my college
I got some questions.
1: DO I have to serve 8 years or can I talk to my recruiter and shorten it down
2: let's say I go inactive reserve.. In what circumstances would they call me up to fight and shit
3: I'm planning on going 11b what are some "high speed" things they make infantry do
4: can my state send me to schools like airborne or sniper school if I'm good enough?
5: are there any foreseeable conflicts or wars that might happen in the future.
6: if I do get deployed to war for whatever reason. Will they make the NG do retarded shit while the real active soldiers fight
7: what are the odds of me getting horribly disfigured or killed while on deployment

Please help. I don't want to waste the prime years of my life and if you have experience with the NG please share
>>
>>27790665
This is bait right? You need to do some fucking research. Don't join for college money.
>>
Anyone in the Danish Armed Forces?

Thinking of joining the Navy as a marine engineer and becoming a machine technical officer (engine room stuff, basically).
>>
>>27789872
Same thing happened with me. The AF recuriter took to long to reply and set up a meeting. About 4 weeks of waiting and getting told that they were busy.

I went to the navy recuriter and everything is moving fast. Its only been a week since I meet with the recuriter, he's already scheduled me to take the asvab and go to meps next week.
>>
>>27790024
Aren't basically all forts where they do basic in the southern half of the US? I'm in arkansas and we pretty regularly have 50-60 degree days in december. Seems like it might suck less to go in the winter especially if you're gonna be in alabama or some shit
>>
Just finished my FFL training, and was given my french passport and new name.

I guess i'll just hangout until i'm on call
>>
>>27793033

No you didn't
>>
I'm 10,000 in debt for a medical career that I'm having no luck in getting a job with for the past few months, and in all honesty I want to move towards more engineering or science based fields.

23 years old and I want to be able to make a clean break from my family who have supported me very much but I feel like I'm rotting on the inside because I just keep cycling in and out of short term work and can't really help them.

What advice and what branch should I join if I just want to be able to pay that debt, save some money and have some skills that will help me move towards a career in engineering after 4 years.
>>
From the start of basic training, how long will it take for me to draw my first paycheck? And at E1, what am I looking at for pay.
>>
File: 1446239000637.jpg (200KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1446239000637.jpg
200KB, 1920x1080px
So my brother in law has been in the reserves for the past few years and next weekend is enlisting full time in the army. What is he in for? He's fluent in Arabic if that makes any difference.
>>
>>27793546

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._uniformed_services_pay_grades

I'm not even fucking American.
>>
>>27793470
If you want engineering, Navy Nuke program is for you. You graduate with an electrical engineering degree, you get to go either Officer of Warrant Officer, and you get a -lot- of money.

All branches will help you pay debt, as long as you're taking a job worth the investment.
>>
>>27792295
Problem is that if its too cold or too much snow they cancel trainings, which is about the only thing you look forward to doing while at bct since you literally sit around waiting to do shit.
>>
>>27790665
1) You will serve 8 years total, you can change the amount of ACTIVE time, but the Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR) will total to 8 years.

2) IRR is called BEFORE a draft, or to fill vital roles. If you were a high demand job, and your job becomes needed for a surge or invasion, you'll be called up.

3) NG Infantry will not be doing all that much.

4) The Army can send you, but honestly if you're in NG don't plan on being Airborne or anything beyond a basic 11b

5) Globally there's Syria/Iraq/Iran, South America, Koreas, China via Proxy and Russia via Proxy

6) It's not "For whatever reason", NG and Reserves exist as a sort of checks and balance post Vietnam to ensure that there is consensus amongst the people to go to war. I can elaborate on that further if people want. tl;dr you will deploy in some capacity.

7) Not too high.
>>
File: Shit_balls.png (46KB, 230x485px) Image search: [Google]
Shit_balls.png
46KB, 230x485px
Had a pft today and here's how I did. I hope all of you are doing your PT every day lads
>>
>>27794151
>6) It's not "For whatever reason", NG and Reserves exist as a sort of checks and balance post Vietnam to ensure that there is consensus amongst the people to go to war. I can elaborate on that further if people want. tl;dr you will deploy in some capacity.

Not him, but explain please.
>>
>>27794485
After the Vietnam war, the military was restructured. Active Duty can maintain itself to some degree, but not at full deployment rate. Reserves for all branches are required to handle the logistics, while the NG provides a supplemental mix of combat arms and logistics, while also serving a purpose stateside.

NG requires the states governors to deploy.

The goal was that the US could never have another unpopular war, since the states would have to support the cause to mobilize the NG, and people have to be serving in the reserves as well.
>>
>>27794556

Very smart, actually.
>>
>>27793742

Are you a nuke?

I know nukes, this smells like bullshit.
>>
>>27790185

Friendly reminder that 95 is a percentile, and that you should know what a percentile score is.
>>
>>27794685
95 still currently puts you at 130ish line scores in the Army, which qualifies you for everything by almost 20 points.

Percentile score or no, what does it matter when you're qualified for any MOS?
>>
File: bananaclip.gif (3MB, 319x237px) Image search: [Google]
bananaclip.gif
3MB, 319x237px
>>27794738
This to be forthright family

I got an 89 and qualified for every entry level job in the Army with my lowest line score being 125. Chose infantry
>>
File: image.jpg (961KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
961KB, 2048x1536px
All you asvab score experts are dumb. Just because you get over a 90 percentile score doesnt mean you will have a 130+ gt score. Here is proof that you can get a 92 and still only get a 120GT.

Pic related, its my scores from back in 2010.
>>
>>27794672
No I am not a nuke, I'm not even in the military (yet). I have friends going in for Nuke, and friends who are in currently as Nukes. Life is pretty crappy when you're on ship, windowless room, only Nukes allowed, etc. But money is solid.
>>
>>27794631
In theory yes, but it doesn't work in practice. Federal government has too much overreach for states to say no.
>>
>>27772611

I have a coworker who is retired. He only has good things to say about his time except for his last CO who retired him guy had a thing against gunnery in a tank battalion.
>>
Is serving on a ship really as cool as I think it is? What are the least shitty Navy rates?
>>
>>27796386
Watch the last ship, and find the enlisted guy with the shittiest looking job, and avoid that one
>>
Anyone have any experience with 37F and can tell me some general info about it?
>>
>>27797311

http://www.sorbrecruiting.com/SORB_PSYOP.html
>>
>>27794861
Theres several variations of the test so depending on the random one the hungover NCO administered to you will change the max score possible in each composite score, therefore affecting your percentile grouping.
>>
>>27796936
kek
>>
>>27794861
Again, what's the difference? Does anything require higher than a 112 GT? And GT was your lowest too which is really unlikely.

If anything, you're reinforcing the point being made. It's not hard to score in a high percentile, and any percentile higher than 88ish is almost definitely going to have the line scores for whatever you want to do.
>>
>>27799048
Im just showing percentile doesnt mean shit.

Also, I didnt qualify for every job in all branches. There was a job in the AF called applications specialist or something that I didnt have high enough scores for.
>>
>>27799085
Higher percentage means higher scores. Of course percentage means something.

Anyone on this board should skew higher than the general populace because the general populace includes people that can hardly read. Someone on this board not only reads but presumably has a level of understanding of what they read to comprehend a usual style of writing and set of vocabulary that differs from what they experience in day-to-day life. That shows a higher aptitude to learning for the average person on this board than the average person in the general populace.

This translates to average score of this board falling above the 50th percentile. That means that people on this board should do better than the majority. Higher percentiles mean higher scores. People here should take solace in knowing they'll do better than most, and should be optimistic that their higher scores may open the doors that they want open.
>>
What's life like on a carrier as a nuke?
>>
>>27790665
>joining the NG for college
The recruiters wont tell you this, but you wont be getting any college benefits worth serving for dude.While the NG and Reserves do have a tuition payment thing set up, its vastly lower than what you would get from Federal Pell Grant.
You will NOT get the Post 9/11 GI Bill upon entering. That is only for soldiers with over 18 months of Active Duty time.
Your service comes first. They will not let you skip duty just because you have an exam or an assignment due.
If you really need them to pay for you college just go active duty. That way you won't have to worry about rent, or food or anything else civillian students have to worry about.
>>
About to go take the ASVAB, will report back with scores.
>>
>>27801169
Watch Last Resort and see what the lives are like for the nukes, and determine from that.
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 269x202px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 269x202px
Anybody got info on the 35f psy ops mos
What do they do really,also I'm planning on joining the reserve
What's airborne school like?
What's the SF stuff 35Fs do?
>>
>>27802010
Lmao
>35f
>psyops

Its 37f btw anon, and good luck finding a guard unit near you that has that job available.

If youre going reserves, youre not actually going to be doing any of this shit actual 37f do. Unless you get a deployment. Otherwise have fun catching up on powerpoints every one weekend a month. Also hopefully you dont have a full time job you dont want to put on hold because you will have to go to language school if you arent already fluent in a language.
>>
>>27802111
Meant reserves, but guard/reserves, same shit.
>>
>>27799860
percentage != percentile
>>
What are the best SOF careers and why?

-
Rangers
Special Forces
-
MARSOC
-
SEAL
-
PJ
CCT
SOWT
-

I am personally thinking about either doing 68w and trying out for RASP or SFAS from AIT, or getting an 18x and getting the benefit of SOPC before going to SFAS. But I can't discount any of the other options. I'm not bound to any particular branch, I want to "shop around" and see what will be the most fulfilling job, that I'll enjoy thoroughly.
>>
>>27803519

I used to think, when I was a teenager, that I was unique.

Now I come on /k/ and realize I was part of the stupidest, easiest to influence demographic on the planet.
>>
>fellow DEPer at recruiting station has contract to be SEAL
>chill guy and we get along but recruiters fawn over him at every meeting
is this common?
>>
>>27803921
Generally speaking, recruiters have a lot riding on sending guys to SOF, so yes.

SEAL candidates are assigned a SEAL mentor, who they have to train under. The mentor eventually makes the decision as to whether or not the candidate is ready to go. I imagine your recruiters are all some form of mechanic or IT guys, so having a potential SEAL must be amazing for them. Additionally, they get a big paycheck if he makes it.
>>
>>27775349
Which branch are you asking about? What do you want to fly?
>>
>>27803519
Air Force SOF is best. Highest physical standards, coolest jobs, highest washout rates.
>yfw driving motorcycles is a primary job skill for CCTs
>>
>>27803972
Air force. Fighter pilot would be the juvenile dream but I would settle for being a non-pilot on a bomber or cargo plane if I just get to serve on board an aircraft.
>>
File: 1446172542001.jpg (21KB, 480x465px) Image search: [Google]
1446172542001.jpg
21KB, 480x465px
>tfw I was diagnosed with gout at age 25, 1 year after college graduation
>tfw I will never become an officer

fuck me, there goes my pipe dream...
>>
>>27781933
Based on what I'm seeing lately, NG/Reserve will take literally anyone as an officer.
>>
>>27789794
>30 minute 2 mile

Please tell me this is bait. Please.
>>
>>27790031
The difference is that FT Jackson is still humid when it's cold. It sucks.
>>
File: 1446740529665.jpg (45KB, 419x430px) Image search: [Google]
1446740529665.jpg
45KB, 419x430px
>>27794199
Just got back from PT with other Army DEPs, we ran 2 miles at a slower than snails pace because these girls couldn't keep up. So afterwards me and a few of the other guys grabbed those shiny ass PT belts and went for a fast 3 mile run, got it done in about 25 minutes. Felt pretty good, so next week we are going to do ability group runs instead, that way we can actually improve and push ourselves.
>>
>>27805989
kek

You are going to pray for women to be in your unit when you get to one.

>tfw you are hungover the morning after 4th of july 4 day weekend, and BN cdr makes you do a run, and you hold onto your buddies pt belt while you "run" at a 1/2in per step pace due to females.
>>
Planning for joining June 2017, but still picking mos.

I've narrowed it down to 19d, 68w, 35p, or 12d.

Anyone want to tell me their experiences with these MOS? Planning on active duty btw.
>>
>>27806087
DO NOT do 35P unless you already know a language, have photographic memory, or you have a talent for languages.

This MOS is career ending if you fail language school.

If you are wanting this so you can learn a language, join as a 35M, or 37F, that way you wont have to live under trainee (IET) status for 1+ years.

>35P then 35N then 35F
>7 years time in service
>>
>>27806111
Thanks man. If it really is that stressful I think I'm gonna drop that from the list. I really wanted to learn a language but oh well, guess I'll settle for expat after contract.

Could you tell me why to join as 35m?

Also, if anyone could tell me, are there any MOS that get Nippon/Korea overseas assignments often?
>>
>>27794151
Can you go and work abroad while on IRR?
>>
>>27806111
DLI wasn't too bad, lots of air matresses and phase 5+ after a week. But you're right, I hear it's total lock down for all IET soldiers now.
>>
>>27806156
Join as 35m or 37F so that you dont have to live under trainee status while going to language school, and you have a better chance of picking language (35P does not choose language). So much less stressful, since you get to live off base in your own apartment and the only interaction you have with your unit is showing up to morning formation and PT. Then rest of day is just language class, and you do whatever you want on your off time. No barracks bullshit, or trainee bullshit.

35M usually go to asia if you get the language.

FYI korean is the WORST language course at DLI. They make it unnecessarily stressful. Youve probably heard stories of students in korea and japan being way hardcore and stressed the fuck out compared to students here in the states. Well the korean teachers at DLI expect the same dedication and standards from you as they would students back in their home country. So a B- is a fail, and a A- is a C+. And if their is a native speaker in your course they will expect you to keep up with the native speakers progress and grade you based off of the top student.

Every other language is better, because at least your not set to an impossible standard.

But the languages are still tough. Just korean is the worst language, when I went through it was 7/10 students are either failed out, or recycled to an earlier course. So a 1 year long course can become a 2 year long course. And if you fail it the second time you get reclassed to a random new mos where you have to go to a AIT as if you just finished BCT even though you were probably in for 2+ years already, and have basically wasted 2 years of your career, but luckily you signed for 5+ years : )

Sorry for wall of text, typing this brought back bad memories.
>>
>>27806286
Man, after 2012 DLI went straight to shit town.

>No more interservice fraternization of any kind
>cant leave base without a friend
>no more alcohol allowed in barracks
>curfew

I was there in 2007-09 as a student 35P, then went back there as cadre in 2012-2014
>>
>>27806322
I have friends back there now as cadre and repeat students and they say the same thing. I was 2010-2011 and it was still Desperate Love Inst. Good times
>>
>>27806322
>No more interservice fraternization of any kind
But why?
>>
>>27806291
Language training seems like a no go for me then
>>
>>27806554
Marines are considered careerists due to having completed MCT

Airforce are basically prisoners, have to march everywhere, get tattle told on, have little report cards, etc...

Navy, act like weirdos here, so no one hangs out with them lol

Army are under strict phase 5 type IET bullshit, no such thing as phase 5+ anymore.
>>
>>27806617
language training is okay, as long as your not going there as a 35p, and not learning korean.

Theres a lot of cool shit to do in the area. I learned about the finer things in life by attending the rich people parties and events over at pebble beach.

Me and my buddy used to collect business cards and whenever someone asked us for an invitation we were junior assistant designers for ferrari or some shit like that. The food was fucking good. I think I spent most of my paycheck on suits and accessories during my stay there.
>>
>>27806410
Were you army? and what language?
>>
>>27806635
Going to DLI in a month to live like a king. Looking forward to it.
>>
>>27807408
Careerist? what branch?

Things to do immediately at arrival, eat at Compagnos sandwich shop located right outside the gate, super mil friendly, and fuck huge sandwich for cheap price.

Best food places:
Mexican - Papa Chevos
Japanese - Oh sushi
Chinese - either Dynasty or Great wall (you will like one or the other
American - American burger (gives mil discounts)

FYI literally EVERY food place delivers, they even have a doorbell dining service that can go pick up other shit for you like dennys.

DO NOT take military housing, you get paid like 1800 per month bah, and rent only costs about 8-900 for a really nice place. Might as well pocket the extra grand.

Best dry cleaners is rainbow cleaners, they can do next and same day cleaning if you ask. The dry cleaner on base is SHIT, they take a week to do your shit.

The MWR on post is actually good, no one uses it, so you can pretty much borrow shit like kayaks, bikes, and scuba gear whenever you want.

Also you can get motorcycle license over here as well.
>>
>>27807567
Army. Already have motorcycle licenses and motorcycles. Will be living off post.
>>
File: 1446553872910.jpg (12KB, 500x209px) Image search: [Google]
1446553872910.jpg
12KB, 500x209px
I really wanna join the military, especially the air force. However, I have a ged. I realize the airforce only accepts people who score higher than 65 in my case. Is it even worth studying my ass off to get a high score or are they just gonna not accept me because of my ged?
>>
>>27807582
If youre looking for places, look at seaside area, thats were most of the nicer apartments are for good price.

If you are planning to get a roomate, there are apartments right at the bottom of the base, and a few in pacific grove area. They are spendy, but within walking distance of base.

FYI if youre planning to ride a bicycle, DONT. The hill is fucking steep as fuck. I wore out the brakes on my bike 6 times before I said fuck it and just drove to all the formations.

I just left there last summer.

PRO TIP, every office is waaaay different than any other base youve probably been to. Supply isnt actually like a normal supply room. All they are going to give you is the unit patch, and a pt belt(hopefully they have some). The S2, isnt like a normal S2, etc...

Are you going as student or cadre?

FYI the PX on base is just the military clothing section and some snacks and shit, the real PX with furniture and shit is at old Fort Ord on the other side of town. The commisary is also at old Fort Ord.

If youre a student, have fun being responsible for IET soldiers you cant hang out with or even give lifts back to company if they have broken legs.

No joke we had an E5 go down to E4 for giving a lift to a IET soldier (with battle buddy) back to company because the van that brought them down the hill to PT wouldnt come back down to pick them up. IET soldier had double leg cast.
>>
>>27807705
>Are you going as student or cadre?

Student.
>>
>>27787789
Cab you volunteer for rasp at 68w ait? I can't get option 40 due to med waivers
>>
>>27807815
LMAO yup youre definitly gonna have a blast being responsible for IET soldiers. Try not to get into any trouble while here, and DO NOT go to the psych doctor here, even if ordered, do not fucking go. When command sends you to psych, that means they are trying to get you discharged (serious). Also medical here sucks as usual, so if you ever need specific treatments, bypass them and get a patient care advocate to get it for you whether it be MRI or physical therapy. I had to navigate a medboard at that shit hole.

Easiest languages that require no effort, tagalog, japanese, indonesian, thai, russian

Medium tier, spanish, french, serbo croatian

High difficulty, middle eastern languages, chinese

HIGHEST difficulty, Korean

But word on the street is most people are getting middle eastern languages or reclassing for middle eastern languages.

word of advice, DO NOT fuck with the S2. OIC is hardcore, can either fight dragons to help you out, or literally bury you.

Did I mention supply is fucking weird here? Because it is. Almost non existant.

Also you will have CQ at least once a month. Make sure you know the rules for IET/careerist fraternization. You cant be around only 1 IET soldier, they have to have buddies.

Unless youre E7 and above or an officer, then you get to go to the most relaxed company you have ever seen in the entirety of the Army. Literally no accountability or obligations to attend formations.
>>
>>27807875
Bump
>>
>>27807875
Yeah you cab, not him but as long as I'm awake I can answer some questions too.
>>
>>27807901
Wat, forcing you into psyche? I simply can't believe that. Thats one IG compaint away from a whole chain of command getting wiped.
>>
>>27808247
You would think so.....but its literally the card commanders pull on soldiers they want to get rid of. Once you go to psych, they can find ANYTHING wrong with you.

A few examples:
>Administrative seperation for Narcissism (soldier argued for a reclass from 35P to 35N per contract for 35W. CoC was giving him 88M)

>Administrative seperation for Somatic disorder for pain (soldier had back surgery 2 months prior to this seperation)

>Administrative seperation for anger issues, this one was a doozy. (soldier had shoulder injury that doctor refused to diagnose for over 2 years, doctor sent him for psych eval, and he was diagnosed with somatic disorder for pain, soldier was wealthy so he seeked out civilian doctors, medical and psych, 3 for each. All civilian doctors said he had a serious shoulder injury that needed to be treated with surgery and that he was mentally sound. Soldier confronts military doctor with evidence, mil doctor sends him to mil psych doctor again, psych doctor diagnoses him with anger issues since he yelled at the doctor after providing evidence the doctor was in the wrong, soldier got seperated, medical and psych doctors got investigated, but were evaluated by peers, and medical doctor kept job, and psych doctor was transfered to another base. FYI both these doctors were civilians. Soldier accepted the discharge since by that point his shoulder could never be 100% again, and he didnt want to see his useless command ever again.)

All at DLI between the years 2011-2014
>>
>>27805272
>gout at 25
nigger if you're that bad at managing your diet how the fuck are you gonna manage the military
>>
>>27805513
Not at all unreasonable for a typical out of shape modern fatcunt.

>>27806156
>yfw weeaboo succeeds and has a successful career in a very difficult MOS just to go to Japan

>>27806681
Heh, I saw one of your stories about that half a dozen or so threads ago. Warms my heart.

>>27807631
Higher than 65 what? On the ASVAB? A 65 overall on the ASVAB means you basically failed it. And even if you only have a GED, you should have a pretty easy time studying for any tests you need to pass.

>>27807901
Why the fuck are they teaching soldiers tagalog?
>>
>>27807567
>>27807582

Can you live off base in the Army if you're single?
>>
>>27808464
I don't know anything about that. I'll defer to someone else
>>
>>27808464
Its uncommon, but specifically at DLI, you have to live off base if you are a careerist. Its a small ass base that houses all 4 services. If you are married, even if IET, you get to live off base.
>>
>>27808456
Because thats what they speak on filipino island, obviously.

Dont you know there are terries there?

Also we have a sort of base there.
>>
>>27808537
cont

Funny memory just popped up in my head.

There was this 18 series officer who was filipino, who learned tagalog at DLI, and his first middle and last name were all the same name, for example "Gaspar Gaspar Gaspar"

When I saw his full name, I was like, this is the most special forces person I have ever met, dudes names are all the same.

Could you imagine your name being Smith Smith Smith? Operator as fuck
>>
>>27808518
Can someone explain the term careerist for me? Is it just active duty as opposed to guard/reserves?

>>27808537
Oh yeah, I forgot about that

>>27808598
amazing
I think I'll name my son that way
>>
>>27808686
It applies to AIT.

IET initial entry training soldiers straight from BCT

Careerists - already completed AIT, attending training school for additional skills or new MOS
>>
>>27808598
>Please state your last name
>Smith
>Please state your first name
>Smith
>.....Please state your middle name
>Smith
>What is your full name sir?
>Smith.....Smith....Smith....
>Constable arrest this man for making a mockery of this court
>>
File: 1441128705859.jpg (100KB, 706x906px) Image search: [Google]
1441128705859.jpg
100KB, 706x906px
Navy DEP specwar wannabe faggot here

Going for EOD. Anyone have any insight? What's the washout rate?
Is it worth it?
Know any goyim who defused bombs for Israel?
>>
>>27778888
Quads of truth
>>
>>27808892
washout rate is VERY high

Its worth it, if thats something you want to learn.
>>
>>27806702
Yeah, Army. Delta company for ching chong
>>
I'm an officer in the NY army national guard. Its not a bad gig overall. Your active duty friends will call you a nasty girl and make fun of you though, so don't expect any respect from them. I make way more as a civilian than I would as an active duty officer anyways. Plus I only have to deal with bullshit once a month rather than living it.
>>
>>27778888
My dad was a submariner and he hated that shit
>>
>>27809462
Hehehehe i was also in delta company. Was their supply nco for 6 months until they got an actual 92y to take over. Cool as banner we created for dragon symbol, but gay ass saying "dig deep" we had a shitty commander who came up with it and the whole company gave zero fucks, so it became the motto.

I was there for korean way back when
>>
>>27807901
>Unless youre E7 and above or an officer, then you get to go to the most relaxed company you have ever seen in the entirety of the Army. Literally no accountability or obligations to attend formations.

That would be me. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>27808686
>Can someone explain the term careerist for me? Is it just active duty as opposed to guard/reserves?

If you are in your initial entry training (IET) or initial military training (IMT) period, which basically means you are not qualified to go do your job yet, you fall under an entirely different and ridiculous set of regulations.

Careerists just fall under "normal" Army regs.
>>
>>27772611

>Can i keep my day job

Yes. Although I'm terribly confused with why you think you couldn't.

>pay

Depends on your rank, time in service, and number of periods per drill (one day is two periods, drills are usually 4-6 periods).

I enjoy the guard. You can have a very different military experience than active duty and in a way I think it makes for more well rounded soldiers (the fat joke makes it self right there).
>>
>>27809599
Yeah, we had a real d-bag when I was there. He came from artillery or some shit and thought he was going to change the MI mentality. Our 1SG and platoon sergeants thought he was a fool. Thus is life in the Army...
>>
>>27772611
>has day job plus already finished college

Anything the Nasty Girls weekend warrior program could give you, you already have, aside from being able to claim you served by technicality kinda like how the kid with downs that they let be the water boy can say he was part of the team.
>>
>>27809566
My uncle must be the only person to ever enjoy serving on a submarine
>>
>>27810615
Not him, but christ dude, NG and the reserves actually are important yknow
>>
>>27811007

>he never was married
>but him and Bill sure do enjoy those fishing trips they go on

Anon, your uncle is a homosex butt goblin.
>>
>>27808206
Is it consistent or do laisons come every so often. I'm looking for the vb est path to regiment without an option 4 or option 40. I want 68w pimarily, but I'd rather be an 11b in regiment than a 68w in some REMF unit during peace time
>>
>>27808719
There was a guy like that in Leo jenkins book. Had the same first and last name. RIP Cadre didn't like it
>>
Do you still have Rosetta Stone access in the Army? Can I start in BCT or AIT, or do I have to wait for assignment?
>>
Is there a backlash if you don't submit your rough application for OCS within two weeks? My recruiter said two weeks but I have to get like 5 letters of recommendation and my professor is taking forever to get around to it.

Is there any backlash if I don't submit one at all and try again at a later time?
>>
>>27811608
use duolingo m9
>>
>>27811608
You can't do shit in BCT except BCT.

You can possibly have access to it in AIT, but generally you're bretty busy with everything else.

Mentally scratch out BCT and AIT and assume you won't be able to do shit else except training, and then wait until you're at your first duty station.
>>
>>27809949
Different anon here. I was in delta for korean 2010-2012

CPT "queen" we will call him was Air defense.

Also idk if u remember the supply sgt there, but he got dishonorabled for grand larceny and then worked at the chase bank down the road as a teller.

Thats when i learned dishonorable doesnt mean shit outside mil.
>>
>>27809730
Echo
>>
>>27812604
does ossifer shit belong here or a different thread
>>
>>27812604
Just tell the recruiter youre waiting on ur shit
>>
File: 1439503606245.jpg (92KB, 300x444px) Image search: [Google]
1439503606245.jpg
92KB, 300x444px
>18
>dropped out of community college recently
>family refuses to take me to dmv for license since I failed permit test twice
>no license=no reliable transportation=auto rejection from every job position
>parent soon to kick me out

Should I try to enlist in the military? I'm not fit right now but it looks like either this, hobo life, or live around niggers forever.
>>
>>27812629
duolingo is great

I have a dilemma guys. SERE specialist sounds like a much more enjoyable time in for me, and is extremely in line with my personal hobbies and interests (hiking, backpacking, swimming, etc.). However, the washout rate is very high, and I don't know what I would end up doing if I didn't make it through.

My other consideration is weather officer, because it's more in line with my civilian career (environmental/earth science) and my goals of working for NASA, and it would boost my career more, and as far as I know, weather officer is not a highly competitive area and even if I don't succeed whatever else I get won't be too different (still officering) whereas if I washed out of SERE I would probably end up a mechanic or something. Plus I'd be making twice as much money.

My one concern though is about how much meteorology I would actually learn as a weather officer, of if everyone under me would know a lot more.
>>
>>27812776
belongs here

>>27812803
It's definitely not the worst plan.
>>
>>27812803
Might as well, if you really don't have any options.
Hell, maybe it'll guilt your family into helping you more.
>>
>>27812815
>>27812825
Now I know I meet the height/weight requirements to get into Army, but not the PT ones. Do they take you to some area to test you on PT before you can enlist/get sent to basic?
>>
>>27812807
Go for dreams anon.

I wish i held out at recruiter for 35m, but didnt wait and picked 31b. Absolutely hated the job, but im a 35m and happy as can be. Took me 4 years to reclass. And 3 of those years was a waste of time.
>>
>>27812872

Lolno. If you meet height/weight you aren't super fat, just start running and you will meet standards fine.

Tons of people show up to BCT unable to actually pass a fitness test.
>>
>>27808598
Major Major Major Major
>>
>>27804832
I don't understand why the washout rates are so high. I watched the PJ indoc and it didn't seem that much harder when compared to how other SOFs do it.
>>
>>27781892
Hell, even full timers in the Guard have to turn down advancement (or even accept demotion) to retain a full-time position. For example, a Supply NCO remaining a SSG for fucking ever -- or a SFC Readiness NCO taking a demotion so he can work as a Supply NCO since there are no open slots in his State.

Still, all that said, its a good gig (at least in Oklahoma... Mon-Thu, 0800-1600) with all the benefits.
>>
>>27812898
Both interest me though. SERE would be more enjoyable in the short term but Weather Officer would be better for my career and finances in the long term.
>>
>>27815178
As I understand, a lot of the washout at PJ is during water con. IIRC PJ has the highest washout rate in the armed forces, presumably because you have to learn emergency medicine while also doing some of the physically toughest training.

I think the reason SERE has such a high washout rate is
1. a lot of people think they can't wait to go innawoods all the time and then realize they don't actually like being forced to support themselves innawoods without the option of going home whenever, and
2. It's stressful for a lot of people to keep up with all of the running and rucking to their standard (according to some ostensible former SERE guy on a forum the average day includes 6-8 miles running and 6-8 miles rucking with 65+ pounds)
>>
>>27816400
Dont worry about long term, thats what the GI bill is for.

Can you imagine, going weather and finding out how much you fucking hate it, only to be stuck doing it for next 5 years, and cant go SERE anymore since no fuck you we are military we dont want you to reclass?
>>
>>27816553
That's a pretty decent point. Although I will already have two degrees when I join if all goes according to plan (I'm sure you know that I will need a bachelors if I plan to be an officer). I've been wondering about whether I should pursue a masters with the GI Bill or just get another degree...maybe I'll do meteorology. But the military experience in meteorology would be much more valuable I think than getting a bachelors in it. Especially if I want to work for NASA.
>>
>>27816772
what degrees are you doing right now?
>>
>>27817821
Environmental Science and Chemistry
>>
>>27817844
Hmm, dunno what to suggest.

Obviously weather officer would get you into NASA.

But SERE..............

LMAO flip a coin

Or better yet, enlist SERE, do it for 2-3 years (however many you need before you can reclass or put in OCS packet), then put in packet for weather officer
>>
Can a foreigner without a green card join the armed forces?
>>
>>27816440
What about for CCTs?
>>
>>27772761
>16 hour weekend

thats all the national guard does? bruh. im a Canadian reservist fag and we do one night a week, and one weekend (fri,sat,sun) a month..
>>
>>27818000
no, you need a green card, and with one you can only do USN or USMC
>>
>>27818793
That's easy to do and afford when your entire army would fit onto a single American base.
>>
>>27812803
Doesn't seem like you have any other options. Just remember to go ACTIVE DUTY. Not reserves or Guard, other wise you'll be right back in the same predicament you were before you left for basic.
>>
>>27812803
We really, really don't want you.
>>
>>27812803
Ok so here is the thing dude, your parents are assholes. but fret not, I know guys who came in not having driver licenses and its not an issue and its because you don't need it. here is what is needed to prove US citizenship and this is directly from Army Regulation 601-210 which covers enlistment eligibility

c. Documents to verify eligibility include (return all documents to applicant after proper citizenship entries are made
on the DD Form 1966)—
(1) For U.S. citizens—
(a) Birth certificate showing birth within the United States.
(b) INS or USCIS Form N–550/551/570 (Naturalization Certificate).
(c) INS or USCIS Form N–560 or N–561 (Certificate of United States Citizenship).
(d) U.S. passport (unaltered and originally issued for 5 or more years to the applicant).
(e) DD Form 372.
(f) DS Form 1350 (Certification of Birth).
(g) FS Form 545 (Certification of Birth Abroad of U.S. Citizen).
(h) FS Form 240 (Consular Report of Birth Abroad of U.S. Citizen).

Does it say drivers license any where in there? Now as far as getting out to be able to enlist, if you call your local Armed Forces Career Center and tell them whats up I guarantee that they will be willing to give you a ride to the station to sit down and talk out a way to achieve your goal. At the end of the day that's why we have GOV's at centers. Additionally if you go and talk to them about this plan to come in, I am sure that your shit heel parents will get off your back and let you stick in the house long enough to ship out for basic.

On the point of not being fit you would be surprised how many out of shape people come into the military. Additionally even if you enlist and aren't able to do a single push up there are PT plans for PRE -BCT future soldiers who are waiting to ship.

What I would recommend to you is go onto Goarmy.com and explore jobs and come up with a top ten list that sound up your alley.
>>
>>27819214
part two

Once you get this top ten list go onto you tube and search for that MOS. The USAREC youtube channel has cheesy videos on every single job in the US Army so you can get an idea. Then go take the ASVAB and get your score. With that score its going to give you an AFQT(which is the cumulative ASVAB score) then you will get line scores. You can then go back to Goarmy.com and input your line scores and figure out exactly which jobs are open to you with those scores. Hopefully they will match up with the first list you made. If anything changes and jobs are not open to you with those scores fill in the positions that were closed. Take your time and do research, so that way when you go back to the Recruiting station you have an idea of what YOU want. So you don't get a recruiter lead you along and down a rabbit hole of locking in a job you don't want to do. Once you get something figured out you can go back to MEPS and take your physical and talk to the career counselor and get your job locked in and swear the oath of enlistment and get a ship date. Or you could knock out the physical one day and the enlistment portion on a different day, it's all up to you.

Also the only legal binding contract between you and the federal government is the DD form 4, until you sign that you can walk away at anytime if you want.
>>
>>27817867
Hmm, that's a good idea. Do you think that's possible? Could I still put in a packet if I washed out of SERE and got put into 666q-Rock Sorter?
>>
>>27818489
Not nearly as high, I think the biggest challenge for CCT is being a good aircraft controller while also passing all the special operations physical training. I have a buddy who was a CCT, but he blew out an eardrum and got discharged. He said he couldn't imagine a better and more fun job.
>>
>>27821117
I was under the impression that the water con portion of the PJ/CCT pipeline was what caused such a high drop rate.
Thread posts: 285
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.