[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /k/. Just wondering if any of you legal-minded anons could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (227KB, 2826x2032px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
227KB, 2826x2032px
Hey, /k/. Just wondering if any of you legal-minded anons could tell me if coilguns or any other devices that fire projectiles using electromagnetism instead of an explosive primer like pic related would be considered "guns" under the law or not?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to know if they'd be likely to be banned along with conventional firearms if strict gun control laws are passed.
>>
>>27537692
No, you can't have a railgun as a civilian.
>>
>>27537692
no explosion = no gun
Coil/gauss guns, railguns, spring guns, airguns, etc are completely unregulated.
>>
>>27537721
Thanks. Good to know.
>>
>>27537709
You're mistaken, go read GCA and then NFA.
>>
Lasers over a certain power are regulated by the FDA.

I can imagine that they would use some FCC fuckery to try and regulate powerful electromagnets.
>>
Mass drivers will eventually be covered with new legislation once the tech matures. Right now, a home built coilgun will be no more lethal than shooting beanbags.
>>
>>27539444
tech doesn't need to be mature to regulate

Look at CA requiring micro stamping in hadguns.
>>
>>27537721
Federally. State, county or city may have laws about "projectile weapons" or some shit. My city has a no discharging a weapon within city limits, and that includes bows and stuff.>>27537721
>>27537861
>>
>>27537692
>http://definitions.uslegal.com/f/firearms/

>Under 26 USCA § 861 (a), firearms is defined as “"a shot gun or rifle having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length, or any other weapon, except a pistol or revolver, from which a shot is discharged by an explosive if such weapon is capable of being concealed on the person, or a machine gun, and includes a muffler or silencer for any firearm whether or not such firearm is included within the foregoing definition." United States v. Adams, 11 F. Supp. 216, 217 (S.D. Fla. 1935)

>Law involving firearms governs the registration of any weapon which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device. Title 26, U.S.C., Sec. 5861(d), makes it a Federal crime or offense for anyone to possess certain kinds of firearms which are not registered to him in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record. Laws govern who may own firearms, such as prohibiting felons to carry guns, childrens' access to firearms, recordkeeping, transport, and licensing of those dealing in firearms. Federal law makes it unlawful for any person except a licensed dealer to engage in the business of dealing in firearms. Some states have also adopted dealer regulations.

Learm Google.
e
a
r
n

G
o
o
g
l
e
>>
>>27541544

Keep it 50 cal or under or it will be considered destructive device. As the destructive device clause also says

"any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant"

The propellant in this case being electromagnetic propulsion.
>>
>>27537721
actually "airsoft" guns (shit, I know) which employ electricity to move a piston for the purpose of providing enough pressure to send a small bb down a barrel (standard AEG) are considered electronic firearms. while not regulated, that would like change as soon as the ATF found reason to.
>>
>>27539469
or non-metallic firearms
>>
>>27541653
then are t-shirt cannons illegal? i think propellant is a little more narrowly defined than that
>>
>>27542391
Read the act only includes things with the ability to be used as a weapon, if someone goes around killing people with a t-shirt cannon im they would be banned. As it is now non weapons such as flare launchers and weapons with sporting purpose (most shotguns) are exempt.
>>
>>27542333
They are federally (i may be confusing cali state law with federal) considered replica firearms, and are in the same category as bb guns, and nerf guns painted black.
>>
>>27541653
You're an idiot... You don't understand the meaning of propellant.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.