[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/MEG/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 309
Thread images: 19

File: 1443927481728.png (302KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
1443927481728.png
302KB, 500x495px
>IRC Channel

#MEG on Freenode
If youre on mobile, download AndoIRC. Then follow steps in FAQ or ask one of the guys here to help you get situated in the IRC

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Are you a manlet?
http://strawpoll.me/4742252

Ask questions, answer questions, but DONT ask if meps will know if you smoked weed, thats in the FAQ. Just keep it contained to this general.
>>
>>27502000
So let's talk Air Force. Anyone got any input on what AFSCs provide the biggest edge in finding work after you're done? I've been looking around and people keep saying Civil Engineering or Air Traffic Control. How about the different Maintenance positions, or Metals Tech? Anyone doing/done any of these, or got some advice on what to try for?
>>
>>27498258
>>27498269

Thanks for the info guys.
>>
Is 35F good for not dying?
>>
Metals tech is a toss up, you will either get a shop that cares about you or one that will throw you on the flight line all the time. Ask me anything metals tech.
>>
Cooper test, 3230 m, phagets. What's your high score in the most important battlefield skill? Can't remove kebab if you can't even catch one.

inb4

>cardio

It's all you'll be doing in basic training, curlbros.
>>
>>27503156

1B4

>>27503995

Sure. If you're a strategic analyst you won't even deploy. If you're a tactical analyst, "deployment" is mostly sitting at a computer in an operations center.
>>
Is there anyone here who is/was a 68W or knows someone who was? General impression I get from reading about it is that the training is shit because you're given less time than civilians to learn the actual medical parts, being deployed with an actual line unit is preferred, and most of the time you don't actually end up doing any medical shit. Assuming that stuff is accurate, anything else I should know and would you recommend it?
>>
File: 1410999291278.gif (2MB, 154x273px) Image search: [Google]
1410999291278.gif
2MB, 154x273px
>>27504071
>tfw now all we do is that shitty PRT
Army PT is fucking pitiful, 5 in cadence reps of some stupid jazzercize show BS.
>>
File: Elo_logo.png (19KB, 590x590px) Image search: [Google]
Elo_logo.png
19KB, 590x590px
>>27504577
That's just for boot though. Reg just tells you to piss off to the gym for PT. Not to mention it honestly depends on who leads the PT.
>>
>>27504508
Worked with plenty of line 68W, airborne and Ranger.

The training is fine, then if they get to the line the senior medic there will square them away. If you get clinical you don't learn much and you don't hone your skills too well, but you become a clinic paperwork master.

68W only includes EMT, but while they're in the Army they're allowed to do practically anything besides surgery, however they aren't proficient necessarily.

The SOCM trained guys get paramedic, but their skillsets could be comparable to a PA. They are proficient in their capabilities.

Clinic medics if they haven't been on the line can be pretty damn retarded though.

Any specific questions?
>>
>>27504577
PRT actually lets you go to the gym any day you want to, the last section of it says do whatever is necessary.

And no one actually does PRT except for certain schools (BAC, air assault, WLC, etc.)
>>
>>27504761
How is the AIT aspect of it in terms of studying/testing on your knowledge? Are they throwing a bunch of shit at you and you need to really fucking study to keep up? Is it piss-easy? Or is it somewhere in-between?

Also, chances of getting into a line-unit is pretty much up to fate, right? It's ideally what I'd prefer because I'd love to be the guy pretty much looking after the physical well-being of everyone else (even if it's pretty much just dealing with stupid medical shit.) But if I get thrown into a hospital unit instead, can I eventually request to switch over, and if so, how long would that potentially take?

On paper it seems like an interesting job that has more civilian-life transitions than other field infantry-related jobs have, so that's a plus too. Only issue is that I kind of have a bad fear of needles (not to the extent of fainting or anything), but I feel like I can get past it.
>>
File: MyScore.png (1MB, 1137x1393px) Image search: [Google]
MyScore.png
1MB, 1137x1393px
I got these scores recently and I'm thinking about the different shit I can do. NUC sounds fun.
>>
>>27504938
Also interested in this. Going 68W Option 40
>>
>>27503156
Crypto linguist

"Cyber" 3dxxx jobs
>>
>>27506149
Me too. Please more info

You get a contract yet bro? Opt 40's are hard to get as a 68w
>>
Anyone at MEPS right now? Took the tests today, in the hotel, medical and contractinformative tomorrow.

>tfw 98 on ASVAB
Awww yeah
>>
>>27506200
>medical tomorrow

Enjoy hell

Jk it's not too bad, just be sure not to talk. They get mad over that shit.
>>
Why the fuck does everyone want to be 68w? Half of MEG discussions are about kids wanting to be band aid appliers. Is it so you can get a job at a hospital shoving suppositories up ass holes and cleaning bed pans? Do you really want to feel the warm inside of a rectum tighten around your finger as you insert an ass pill? Do you?
>>
>>27506504
Yes to all.

>he doesn't think medicine is cool as shit
>he doesn't want to help people
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 293x227px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 293x227px
>>27506698
>doc I got a hemorrhoid
>ok lie down and spread your shit like a baby
[proceeds to lift both legs to a 90 degree angle while lying down with no pants on]

FRANKLY, IT'S UNAMERICAN ANON.

I know these kids are just outta high school so probably don't know how to deal with a hemorrhoid but god damn it.
>>
>>27506792
Sounds pretty cute to me.

And they're all big buff Rangers? Goodness
>>
>>27502000
What are some fitness requirements for basic
>>
>>27507024
don't be a lard ass and be able to pass the first fitness test
>>
>>27507061
So be remotely healthy and able to run a few dozen miles?
>>
>>27507142
what branch are you joining
>>
>>27504938
I'm not a 68W (medically trained though), but talking to docs 68W AIT is easy, they teach you everything. It may seem harder to dumbies, but its pretty easy. They push you through exam weeks for national EMT cert and the Army requirements, which its unlikely to fuck up so many that you fail them, but you'll get recycled if you do. If you recycle too much they can send you to another MOS. But really, the shit is easy.
>>
>>27508765
Forgot to add.

Yeah going to the line is somewhat fate. Basically their first look at you when you come in from replacement determines if you go. If you go clinic first, just be competent and be fit. I'm pretty sure all 68 are forced to do rotations in clinic at some point, however I don't know if its viceversa.
>>
>>27506175
What's the trick to getting an opt. 40 without being a fucking cook or something
>>
>>27508828
Hold out. Tell your recruiter you're not gonna have anything unless it's your desired MOS with an Opt. 40.

Tell let him trap you into that "volunteer at AIT" shit. Yes you can, but it's tough. Especially now
>>
>>27508828
105 GT score and tell your recruiter you want it. 75th has a list of all the accepted MOS's.

Don't sign a contract without it. Its that simple.
>>
>>27508971
*Don't let
>>
File: image.jpg (115KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115KB, 1366x768px
Can anyone tell me about the position 25N?
I asked about it in a previous thread, but I had some unanswered questions. Anyone know about "job security"?
What I mean by job security is whether or not a 25N will actually end up doing their job after A school or be assigned a shitty detail because their unnecessary.
I enlisted in this position and I know what it entails, but I wonder whether signal corps is essential during peacetime. Many say infantry are in a shitty position due to the lack of conflict, although I don't know whether that would apply to a 25 position. Can anyone clear this up?
Also, how challenging is A school for a 25N? I know it's roughly 6 months, but it's not terribly complicated as I've heard. Any truth to this statement?
Thanks
>>
File: 1443648244875.jpg (137KB, 1476x981px) Image search: [Google]
1443648244875.jpg
137KB, 1476x981px
>>27502000
Does anyone have any experience with the nursing corp in the Army or military in general? I came back from MEPS today, everything else is medically fine and I got an 96 on my asvab,and while I had a job lined up for 94E with opinion 40, however long-story cut short, I now have to send in paper works about a cyst removal (cosmetic skin surgery) and wait a month or two to resume the my enlistment.

Now my original plan was to go to nursing school this summer and get my bachelors degree in 1 1/2- 2 years and pay for the school myself with students loans.

After getting my score, my army plan was to instead of joining reserves to just join active for 4 years as 94E and going to school after my enlistment was over.

But now, I'm thinking to just sticking with going to college and joining the ROTC(Army or Navy), and joining the military afterwards and having them pay for my loans.

How well are nurses treated in the military? And how different are they viewed from combat medic? I'm welcoming to any helpful criticism in my plan.
>>
Any tips for being able to piss in front of the guy at MEPS?
>tfw paruresis
>>
Anyone got any 13f stories? wanted to hear how it actually is.
>>
>>27509501
Drink so much water you have to piss. If you're not shaking before you go in there you didn't drink enough.
>>
>>27509201
I'm a 25P. Signal jobs consist of working with civilians and supporting other units with comms when they go to the field. You are the redheaded stepchild until their Internet goes down and some Major is bitching at you.
>>
Alright, need some help here guys. What exactly should be on my contract when I sign in 2 days? I'm air force, going into DEP. Will they make me list an AFSC, or an open aptitude area? I have college transcripts for my 20 credits when should I bring that up? Will there be a date on the contract?

tl;Dr what should and should not be on my contract as a depper to avoid getting jewed
>>
>>27509538
Hahaha, is it a matter of command not liking them or the signal guys being lazy assholes?
And any answers in regards to my question about actually doing the job I picked?
And how is 25P? I heard its one of the shittier signal jobs, and that its on its way out, in the same sense that 25F was phased out. Any truth to that?
Not meant to be derogatory, I'm actually curious.
>>
I want to go for RASP. How do I go about doing this, and how well do I have to do on the AFQT/ASVAB?
>>
>>27509201
I can ask one of my Platoon Sergeants for you, we have a formation in like an hour.
>>
>>27509549
Bumping for this one. Time critical for me. An in depth explanation would be great. ASVAB score 98-99 across the board for reference and I want a 1n or 3d afsc.
>>
>>27509817
Please do! I'm about to check out for the night, I'll see what you posted when I wake up!
Also, if you have anything valuable to tell someone who's getting ready to go into a 25 series mos, let me know.
>>
>>27507390
Something infantry, probably shooting for marine core
>>
>>27509549
You have to give them a list of jobs you want and choose an open aptitude area.

The only benefit of going open contract is you'll ship out faster. If you want a specific job make sure it's on your contract. You'll probably wait a little longer until this job becomes available.

Your college credits will give you a rank of E3 right after BMT. They won't have any impact on what job you get unless you have it specifically on your contract.

Don't sign anything you're not comfortable with. Best of luck
>>
>>27510081
They keep the best marines in the core or the army
>>
>>27511472
Thanks. So, even though I'm going into DEP, I WILL get my afsc today? Everyone's telling me different things.
>>
File: dependant.jpg (94KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
dependant.jpg
94KB, 1136x640px
Just came here to give the advice that if you have a gf and don't want to be a cuckold break up with her before you ship.

For guys with wives get a post-nuptial agreement to protect your assets because the odds of you getting fucked are solid.
>>
Swearing into DEP/IRR in 10 minutes. I'm pumped.

>>27512116
Thanks, I love and trust my wife completely but we're getting a postnup just out of principle.
>>
>>27509201

Signal stuff is definitely in a better spot than infantry, since signal actually has something to do in garrison. The key to not stagnating is to always be improving yourself. Work on certifications and college. If you get stuck in some kind of dead-end unit where you don't do your job, stand out and drop a packet to go somewhere cool (White House, CYBERCOM, etc).
>>
>>27511963
It's possible. It really depends on what jobs are currently available and the needs of the AF. They'll try to give you a job you're interested in or you might even be offered a job you didn't pick.

There's a good chance they'll want you to choose open aptitude. Its a gamble and you could end up with something you don't like.

Want to ship out faster? Go open contract or accept the first job your recruiter offers you. Want the job of your dreams? Wait until it's available. But be careful because you can get kicked out of DEP for waiting too long
>>
>>27512972

If the Air Force won't negotiate, you choose another branch, simple as that.

Contrary to Air Force marketing hype, getting the branch you want is not worth 3-6 years in a job you don't want.
>>
>>27512972
I signed recently and the dude said I HAVE to list an aptitude area. Is that,what,you mean by open aptitude? Did I get fucked?
>>
>>27513113
>>27512972
Is it that easy to drop out of DEP and choose another branch, or none at all? I was under the impression that once you swear into DEP, you're not getting out without a med/admin discharge.
>>
>>27505148
>NUC sounds fun.

ahhahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>27513495

"DEP is serious business" is mostly a bullshit recruiter threat. The biggest consequence of dropping out of DEP is that you will have burned a bridge with that recruiter and they won't want to work with you anymore.

Doesn't mean you can't walk across the street to another branch, doesn't mean you can't go to another recruiter for the same branch.
>>
>>27513459
It's totally normal. You pick several jobs you're interest PLUS a open aptitude (general, mechanical, electrical, admin) which one did you pick?

If your recruiter offers you a job that you want Awesome sign those papers and go to BMT.

But I can guarantee you that the first thing your recruiter is gonna offer you is the open aptitude you chose. Why? Because this helps them fill jobs that are undermanned in that area ( general, mechanical, electrical, admin)

Going this route has its pros and cons. You'll ship out faster but you have very little say on what job you want.

This is what happens. Lets say you picked open mechanical. During the final weeks of BMT you'll sit down and they'll give you a list of jobs that are available in the mechanical area. You write down the ones that interest you. They'll try their best to give you something you chose but it's not guaranteed. You're only guaranteed that you'll be working in the mechanical area and not somewhere else like admin or electrical.
>>
>>27513874
>>27513626
Thanks guys, I was wondering both of these.
>>
Any Armyfags bored? I need to conduct an interview with someone from my "goal career" for Careers 101, and I don't know anyone in the Army. It's like 10 questions, I'd really appreciate the help.
>>
I have some questions plz, I'd like to know why do the marines get so much hate in here considering they are prestigious in the outside??
Would the UH contract from the marine corps be a viable option to later go marsoc??
How long do i have to wait to get a UH contract?
>>
>>27514801
They aren't prestige, they're normal, like all the branches. They drink a little bit more of the koolaid, but thats just the devildogs mainly (18-20 year olds who haven't matured yet.)

I don't know the direct reason as to why US culture thinks this, but their top notch recruitment campaign and Hollywood hookups are definitely big reasons.

No idea what a UH contract is.
>>
>>27513874
So how does just waiting for a job you want work? You literally just say "No, open aptitude doesn't interest me and none of the open jobs do" and then they/you check in while you wait for one of your jobs? Or do you do this before you actually go into DEP? Just out of curiosity.
>>
>>27515340
>>27514801
Muhreens have been portrayed as being a step above the Army in terms of being more elite, more badass, etc. Whether or not this is true is up for debate. But it'd mostly the public perception of their badassitude, which makes lots of new marine recruits get really into the motivational, lifestyle kind of mindset.
>>
So I'm in the very, very early stages of enlisting and I've basically only talked to the recruiter once. My question is mainly what kind of medical shit can they dig up on you when you go through MEPs? The only two things I have that I've recently (a year ago) went into the doctor for was foot pain due to my feet being flat as fuck and asking some questions about depression during a rough part in my life (was given a prescription for anti-depressants, but never be diagnosed.) I'm not too worried about the first one, but the second part I'm getting pretty nervous about, especially since it seems like they DQ people with depression pretty quickly. Do I just flat-out tell my recruiter and let him handle it from there, and if I would, chances are they'd work with me instead of just dropping me on the spot, right? I just really want to make sure I'm not going to slip-up and end up ruining my chances at actually getting in.
>>
>>27502000
Hello gentlemen!

I have a few all around questions that I feel were not answered in the last thread.

1. Does National Guard have enlistment bonuses such as quick ship and all of that?

2. I would like to go to college and become a psychiatrist, then do army psychiatrist for a couple of years to "pay back" them paying for my education. Would it be correct to assume National Guard would be preferable if I want to attend college/school in general?

3. What normal jobs do National Guard guys get usually?

4. If I was to join Active Duty Army, how hard is it studying while being a full time soldier?

5. I have double citizenship in shitty commie country (Denmark), I am currently living here but want to go enjoy freedom and guns in America, sadly I might get drafted before and serve ridiculous 3 month service in danish "military". Will that affect my chances of getting security clearance in the US Army?
>>
>>27515784
Actually, I'm adding on to this. What can get you DQ? I've only ever had surgery for having my wisdom teeth removed (all four were growing in sideways), having my tonsils and adenoids removed, and I think having a hernia repaired when I was like an infant. I was also diagnosed with mild Asperger's as a kid, can they dig any of that up/does any of it matter? I know lie to them about it all since they won't look if they don't have to, but the tonsils and adenoids is pretty obvious that it was done if they look in my mouth.
>>
>>27502000
who is piglet shoting
>>
>>27515340
>>27515719
Hm got it, i was really looking into joining the marine recon force through a UH contract, it's one where you apply for recon directly and you have a guaranteed chance at it, if you fail you go 03xx mos which is not that bad. I wanted to know if it's worth joining the marines for the special operations community or are other branches more appealing?
>>
>>27515715
Not him but I'll help.

So how it works is like this:

>Go to recruiter
>You say you would like x
>He says that it's not around, but y is available
>You say no, and that you will wait for x
>1/2/3/4/5 months goes by and x pops up
>Recruitr calls you and tell you its open
>You say good, he reserves that slot for you
>You go to MEPS with/without your recruiter and see your branches liaison(Recruiters that are stationed at MEPS)
>He guides you through the process
>You speak to the counselor(Who assigns jobs)

Now I've seen it go two ways:

A: you get the job you reserved and you're all good and swear into DEP that day

B: They feed you some bullshit and pressure you into getting a different job

*DON'T FALL FOR IT* It's bullshit and they just do that to get kids into undermanned jobs. If mysteriously your job disappears, then you have the freedom to walk right out of there. There is nothing holding you there whatsoever.

You will only get a shit job initially if you agree to it. Don't take anything other than what you want.
>>
>>27516016
Also, I don't know what job you want; but if it's like all other kids, it's SOF.

So if it is, then you just wait and tell your recruiter to call you when that job is open. Work out, stay fit, and even take a college course to keep mentally level.

For example: I'm DEP'd in as a 68w(Medic) so I'm taking anatomy and physiology at my local college to give me a little head start.

Hope that helps
>>
>>27516016
So lets say you get the call for the job you want, go to meps, and then your asvab score isn't high enough for that job. What happens then? Can you leave or are you stuck with a different job than you wanted?
>>
>>27515719
I've never seen more chances of friendly fire during blank iterations than my times training with marines. But leg units gonna leg.

However, I've been to school with their recon/etc. guys and they're all competent in their capabilities.
>>
>>27515957
Be aware that recon isn't SOF. Only MARSOC is in the marines. However, their recon/recce/LRS equivalents all have good training. So if shtf, you can do some pretty good work in those sections.

But if shit doesn't htf, you need to take a look at SOF or else its very unlikely you'll hitch a ride over.
>>
>>27516099
Yeah i know deplyments are getting harder to come by theses days, my plan was go recon (i know it's not sof sorry for the mistake) and then marsoc later down the road, and yes save me all the crap off me getting injured and many things going wrong, i know it i'm prepared to take those risks. I really wanted to know if the marines SOF is worth it in comparison to others, i know all do a really amazing job and are hard af, but i wanted to know one that would give me some kind of nice curriculum to later go a federal path kind of job? Thanks for the advice though
>>
>>27516184

You would be better off picking up an Opt. 40 Army contract and then dropping a packet for SF later.

At least then if you don't make it you have a non-crap fallback job.
>>
File: 1411693261728.jpg (78KB, 746x718px) Image search: [Google]
1411693261728.jpg
78KB, 746x718px
>>27515784
>talked to the recruiter once. My question is mainly what kind of medical shit can they dig up on you when you go through MEPs?
seconding this. Can they go through your medical records? records from being a minor? or just what you provide for them?
I told an airforce recruiter I had counsuling for anger management when I was like 10, and she said "come back with medical records to prove this"
has me confused. does that matter at all? it doesnt seem like it should
>>
>>27516016
>>27516039
That's actually incredibly helpful, thanks! Shit, if that's accurate it should be put in the pastebin or something. That how it works regardless if it's AF or any other branch?
Also, no, not SOF, I've been thinking longterm and looking into things that could get me a job in civilian life that's not pushing papers, or at least put me on the path to do that, something I can actually be proud of doing. Medical Lab, Physical Medicine, Water and Fuel Systems Maintenance, Electrical Systems, Crypto Linguist, different vehicle maintenance, and Aircraft Metals Tech are at the top right now, but I'm still trying to get a handle on how much experience I get and what I actually do on a day to day basis while I'm in. It's not like I am against being a soldier, I just think that I can do more in other positions.
>>
>>27516197
I agree, altough if i picked up a UH contract i would fallback to an 03xx job, are those crappy? i hear they are all infantry related so idk.
I've considered Opt. 40 but let me explain you, i'm moving from Portugal to the US, right now i need time to continue training, i need to implement A LOT of miles in my workout like i'm running a basis of less than 12 miles/week so that's really low in about 3/4 months i would be "ready" physically i guess, but for now i really have to apply once i get to the US. So tell me how much time is it to get an opt. 40 contract? Does it give me time to train in DEP or do i go straight to it?
>>
>>27516251
>>27515784

AFAIK it's just what you provide, what you admit to, and what they will see themselves when you go. There is no central national database of all medical records. If nobody you know will ever mention it to them, and they won't figure it out from looking at you/basic medical tests, and you don't blab, they won't catch it.

They WILL check for flat feet. You could probably get away with saying you never knew you had it, they might make you get a waiver for it, they might just leave it be and say "no big deal."

They'll also ask about medication and history of depression. Now, if you know none of your references will tell them about it, you could probably get away with "forgetting" about it. Up to you if you want to lie/forget, but keep in mind that almost everyone lies about something.

I would tell your recruiter, and ask them if you should bring it up. Worst comes to worst, they say "Yeah, you BETTER bring it up, or I'll tell them!" and you say you changed your mind and go to another recruiter in your city. Chances are they'll give you a reasonable suggestion of whether or not you should lie, or "forget."

Source: Went to MEPS today, and of course I didn't lie, but I know plenty of people did.
>>
Bored ait student here. Pull any weeds lately, MEG?
>>
>>27516251
>>27516316
Related to your anger thing, she wants you to call your counselor and ask them to send you your patient records for your treatment. I'm not sure, but that's probably gonna lower your chances of getting in by some amount.
>>
>>27516328
>>27516316
For example, I admitted a head injury (potential disqualifier!) to my recruiter, she had me get records from old hospital, which said on there "no concussion or loss of consciousness" which would be a big issue. Because I got the records to show that the injury wasn't a big issue, I explained the situation to my medical interviewer at MEPS and he said it was okay.

polite sage for bumping this thread thrice in less than 5 minutes
>>
Anyone know how available/difficult Electrical Systems is in the Air Force?
>>
>>27516328
>>27516251
>>27516316

Someone has to go find this shit. Confidentiality act makes looking for something that usually doesn't exist a seemingly impossible task. As it's been mentioned, don't tell, references don't say shit, you aren't going to suffer.

I went to basic with a guy who went to the chaplain for anger management. They wouldn't let the fucker quit after that. They worked with him and forced him to get better and grow the fick up.
>>
>>27516316
So basically, at least mental-health related, they don't go digging around unless they're suspicious you might have something, right? There's no initial digging done in that regard they can catch you on beforehand? I mean really, I regret even going in for depression-related shit because I'm pretty terrified of it fucking me over now. Never even took the pills prescribed to me and I've been just fine, would seriously hate to fuck over my chances with this and want to be 100% sure I don't end up fucking things up for myself by being a moron.
>>
>>27516042
Well if your recruiter is te least bit competent, he'll make sure you qualify for that job first.

Certain jobs have a criteria you must meet to be eligible that MOS.

Ex.
>Opt 40(Ranger option)
>You must meet a 105+ GT score

But if somehow you end up in a position where your recruiter promisises you a job and MEPS says its a no go, do as I said and just tell them you're not signing. They will pressure you. They will try to make you sign. But you are under no obligations whatsoever to be there and you can walk out. This is America, and as long as you haven't signed any contract you're a free man.

>>27516253
That's good. A lot of kids my(our) age like to focus on jobs that are big on shooting and being cool. But they fail to look past the military and think about how their job in the military can benefit their ultimate goals.

Check up on jobs you think you would enjoy doing(You'll be doing it for 4-6 years) and that will help you out after. That's why I chose medicine. And medicine with an Opt 40, I mean being a Ranger sounds fucking awesome and the training SOF receives is the best in the world. But that's me. So yeah man, find your passion and don't let anyone fuck with you on your path
>>
>>27516320
MOS?
>>
>>27516377
Could you clarify what you mean by those first 2 sentences? Maybe I'm just sleepy, but I can't parse them.

>>27516384
Again, I caution you I'm just a depper with a lot of hearsay, but yes - IF you have nothing LEGAL on your record (as in committing a crime) that would link you to that, you are, to my IMPERFECT knowledge, just fine. They can't just magically type in "anon's medical records" into AirForceGoogle.com and find them. Your doctors keep your records with the hospital or health practice you were treated at.

>>27516042
The way it worked for me, is I took my ASVAB, then I processed for the first time into the DEP, saw what I qualified for (haha 98 motherfuckers I get whatever I want), and then your recruiter will get you a job at some point down the line. So you'll have your ASVAB well before you sign a contract for a job.
>>
>>27516434
All right, thanks man, appreciate it and I'll get further clarification from my recruiter next time I talk to him.
>>
>>27516447
Sure thing. And like others have said - until you sign a contract, you can leave or find a new recruiter at any time, with no consequences, other than your old recruiter being mad as fuck at you for wasting their time.
>>
>>27516434
>(haha 98 motherfuckers I get whatever I want)
unfortunately you are still limited to a job in the military
>>
>>27516434
A real live person has to search for your name and find shit on you. Doctors confidentiality act means he has to get a warrant for a specific hospital, doctor, and time period to get access to information. If he doesn't know where to look, he's not going to know who to ask, when to ask for, or where at. Doctors usually service multiple locations.
>>
>>27516479
Ouch.
>>
>90% of the individuals in my mos ait class are regular 4 chan users.
>We all have 90+ asvab scores except for maybe 3 people who are 70s and 80s.

I don't know how to feel about this. We all browse different shit too.
>>
File: image.jpg (327KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
327KB, 1280x960px
>navy fag
Ask me anything while I smoke this shit
>>
>>27516546
smoke your uniform?
>>
>>27516546
What's your rate m8
>>
>>27516566
im an ordie
>>
>>27516434
>They can't just magically type in "anon's medical records" into AirForceGoogle.com and find them
what if I'm an airforce brat?
I'm this guy >>27516251
>>
>>27516534
Yeah, a guy wearing Vibram 5fingers asked me if I knew about Terminal Lance before MEPS today. Pretty sure I spotted a /k/ommando.
>>
>tfw your knees start hurting after only walking a mile
>tfw you ship in january

I think my joints might not be up for this
>>
>>27516559
yeah im smoking my uniform
idiot bitch
>>
>>27516605
What branch?

I got some compression sleeves and they worked wonders. Highly recommend
>>
>>27516605
Fix your form, faggot.
Heel strike is my first guess.
Leaning too far back is my second guess.
I just not stretching, ever, and not running every day is a tentative third.
>>
>>27516639
I just did a dep meeting where we ran a 1/4th mile this week and one of the recruiters said I had "a good stride"

of course I was behind everyone else so he might have just been trying to soften the humilation
>>
>>27516713
he was most likely being sarcastic you slow fuck
>>
>>27516713
> THANKS RECRUITER
Should be a meme.
Recruiters are full of shit.

Watch someone who is amazing at running and looks comfortable. Try to mimic them. When you get to basic, find the fastest person there, preferably the taller the better (more weight means higher forces. Higher forces means greater punishment for form deficiencies.) Your taller people who run fast and long really know how to run. If you're lucky you'll have a cross country runner to talk to. Sprinters sacrifice a lot for speed. Long distance running is a baseline. If you can run 10-15 miles, then you can probably sprint a couple with little to no detriment to your long term health.

Also, once you start running 10+ miles a day, your pt time just ends up an easy 100. Everyone in Korea had at least 13 min 2 miles. I'd confidently bet the slowest was a 14 min.
>>
>>27516842
What? Not at all.
>>
Bear with me, this is probably the most retarded question I've ever asked anyone, but I don't know another way to word it.

What is the job title of the real-life equivalent of what Solid Snake/Big Boss does?

I want to kill myself after writing that, but I need the answer.
>>
>>27517005
Operator 81g - 8055
>>
>>27517005
Special Forces, or something you can't enlist as. You wanna be an action hero, anon?

That's actually just fine tbh. I don't know who gets more missions like his though. SF is my first guess, Navy SEALs are my second. Someone else wanna input?
>>
>>27517005
Lol.

Snake would be the equivalent of CAG or something.

So to ever have a chance at doing that your best bet is

>11x Opt. 40
>Make it to Regiment
>Do a couple tours

And then I think CAG recruiters come? I don't know and that shit is shrouded in mystery so no one really does and those who do know won't tell you.

All I know is you get selected for CAG, you don't volunteer.

We all have stupid questions friend, it's ok
>>
>>27517027
Oh god no. I just need the info for a project I'm working on. I've been badgering /meg/ and poor Ricky off and on the past couple of months about speshul opurrayshuns.
Fucking military careers are confusing.
>>
>>27517059
Oh well in that case, take >>27517036
advice.

CAG is probably the closet to sneaky snake stuff.
>>
>>27517059
Bigboss was a green beret originally,Green berets have gotten selected for delta before also. Could always go that route
>>
>>27517021
I'm sorry, I'm not great with the codes.
>>
>>27517094
Apparently not.
>>
>>27517094
He's being a dumbass don't worry about it
>>
>>27517036
Thank you for the detailed info, man. I appreciate it.
>>
>>27517101
ne bespokoysya comrade
>>
>>27517100
How the fuck did I miss that?
>>
>>27517005
Special forces no doubt. High washout rates as you're pushed well past your limits mentally and physically
>>
>>27517098
Clever.
>>
>>27517114
Speaking of which, would they skip sending me to language school if I already knew two other languages besides english?
>>
>>27517124
No

Because the languages you probably know aren't useful to them.

Unless you speak Pashtu and Russian
>>
Can you go from Ranger to SF?
I've heard of it being done before, but it sounds like it'd make SF training even more difficult.
>>
>>27517229
You can, but from what I hear, if you don't make it to SF, the regiment doesn't welcome you back
>>
>>27517229
i thought this was the main way to become SF
>>
>>27517229

You can go from Human Resources Specialist to SF. To "go SF" you just drop a packet and then don't fail a bunch of times.

So, yeah, quite a few Rangers end up dropping packets, and being in a high-speed unit they have a bit of a leg up in terms of preparation.
>>
>>27517196
What about korean?
>>
>>27516184
Federal? Well, SOF always helps, and out of all of them then the Army SF/CA/Psy side is your best bet for relevancy.

Other than that: CID/OSI/NCIS, all intel, signals, and cyber depending on what you want to do. If you do want to do intel you'll want to try to be support for SF group, but you can't really control that.
>>
>>27517124
You take a proficiency test, if you pass at the required level you skip language. And you also get paid extra depending on your job.

>>27517196
You're a retard and know jack shit. Any language is highly valued.

Also, airborne infantry in a cool unit here if anyone has questions.
>>
>>27502000
I've gone to the recruiting center to go to MEPS twice; both times I was told MEPS wasn't taking my group today and to come back next week.

I suppose its because I'm going to MEPS for testing and medical only and enlisting after?
>>
how many of the people who go sf end up in non combat positions?
>>
>>27517964
>Note that I have ADD, which may affect my performance in some things

if you need medication to function properly then you can't get in since its a non waiverable condition
>>
Leave for us navy bootcamp in 3 days, any last minute tips and advice? Also, will I have to wear my glasses in the bootcamp picture or can I take them off?
>>
>>27517434

I have a question you stupid Airborne fuck. Why are you fucking stupid?

I was muhreen infantry in a good but non Army meme unit, and any second language commonly taught in America won't get you shit, eg Spanish, french, or german.

Stop being a fucking boot.
>>
I've been prescribed both ritalin and sertraline in the past, how fucked am I?
>>
>>27518499
Because the only thing you can with a language as infantry is put it on your ERB and hope somehow to get pay fucktard.

I'm talking about SF and intel devildog.
>>
>>27518659

No, idiot boot. They don't pay for every language like the other anon already said.

Do you know how many spics are in the marine corps? They don't pay spics extra for knowing Spanish, or even chinese.

If you can converse with mudslides then yeah.

Anyway you said your a boot airborne so enjoy doing nothing in peacetime except train & masturbation.
>>
>>27518582
did you tell anyone at meps about it?

Do you still need it to function?

if no then you're fine
>>
Hey /k/omrades, I'm not a burger, I live in France and I would like to join the US Army. What do I need to do to join?
>>
>>27518692
No, devildog. You obviously don't know the difference between someone who has the initiative to actually talk to S1 about their proficiency; and a shitbag.

Sucks you worked with terminal fuckups, I've worked multiple years alongside decent dudes.

Oorah devildog.
>>
>>27518692
>masturbation

isn't that universal among the armed forces
>>
>>27518896

>using marine corps jargon ironically is so funny teheehee

Soldier, you are no better than the Marines you are putting down if that is your attitude.

I'm a former Marine who knows soldiers far better than you who aren't fucktarded boots.

Unfuck yourself.

>>27518917

Fobbits usually have decent shitters. It was common to beat off in the shitter, shit was rank. Plus you would spit on your cock for lube and afterwards your hand had cum plus mud from the spit and sand.

8.2/10 would do again.
>>
>>27518942
I'm not putting them down, I'm fucking with you the buttblasted fuck whos throwing 'boot' around whos living the life of a marine outside the god damn military you koolaid overflowing cuck.
>>
>>27518981

>nonmils: the post

A 20 year 1st Sgt will call a Gunny a boot as a joke. It's a mil meme, you either get it or don't. And you don't.
>>
>>27518996
Never heard a 1SG say that to anyone. Boot is always used to describe a hooah motivated joe. Sweet marine meme bro.
>>
File: 4-Scent-of-a-Woman-quotes.gif (952KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
4-Scent-of-a-Woman-quotes.gif
952KB, 500x280px
>>27519014

I don't think you're a hooah motivated "Joe".

I'm calling you a boot because I can tell you're new and naïve.
>>
>>27518474
You can take your glasses off for the pictures, in the individual one you can wear your civvie glasses.
>tips
You only go to boot camp once, so don't fuck it up and enjoy it when you can. Count down the hours until the next chow time and nothing else and time will fly. Remember its all a game.
>>
>>27516016
This is only semi true.

Recruiter can actually call someone same day you pass asvab, as long as its not a holiday weekend or friday, and get you a slot in whatever mos you want(not including extra schools like 4 or 40 and bonuses). The person they call either can find a future slot to give you and just reduce a slot from future list(think balancing books) or create a slot if you are really wanted(high asvab score, language, pt stud, educated).

Back in 2010 when everyone was going for intel shit in army when bonuses were 30-40k, i really wanted 35m, they offered me opt 40 for a few mos, 18x, and were really pushing me to take 35w/p since i got a decently high dlab score and already passed dlpt in tagalog and russian with 2/3/2 and 2+/2/1+. I was set on 35m, so recruiter called em up and they magically found me a slot(we had 3 seperate help desks on phone, and one "found" a slot the other two didnt see) it was 35m with 4.5 year contract no language req and gi kicker(extra 800 to post 911). I took it. Did this all in 2 weeks. I found out about the recruiter calling thing on the goarmy forum and recruiter said "i guess we can try that" such a lazy piece of shit. I got lucky with dlpt since that week they were holding testing with those languages. I ended up testing for serbo croation later on in career, and picked up airborne at ait. I had a chance to tryout for rasp selection but i didnt have the drive to pursue it.

Fyi for anyone who wants to pick up airborne or rasp packet at ait in ft huachuca, get the fucking gafpb, almost every person that got gold or silver and requested packets got airborne or passed tryouts for rasp. Shit looks good in your jacket.

Sorry if incoherent dgaf ive been drinking.
>>
>>27516253
Dont do linguist unless you:
-already know a language
-have photographic memory
-have language learning talent
DLI is a career ending base. If you fail, your career is fucked and you wasted a year or two of it for nothing. If you pass it will make your career in and out fucking bright.

Also, dli isnt what it used to be. It used to be known as "college" since lax standards and parties and shit all the time. But it hasnt been like that since 2011/2012. Shit has gone downhill since i was last stationed there in 2014.
-Airmen are treated like prisoners, have to march everywhere and have curfew, and if they fuck up on something minor they have hall monitors that check their little hall passes saying wether they have been good or bad that day.
-Marines still have to deal with bullshit marine stuff, field days on thurs, chucks on fri, patrols in kit on small ass canpus base. Also cannot hang with certain services because they are considered "careerists" and not iet.
-Army iet are stuck in phase 5, phase 5+ doesnt exist anymore. No alcohol in barracks, cant leave base without buddy, some companies require nightly sign in sheets, cant take personal leave even when not in class and are waiting to pcs for 4+ months. Cant hang with other services cause half of them are careerist by their standards so junior enlisted cant hang out with eachother lmao. We had a 35m pfc get an article 15 for fraternization with a 35p pfc because 35p was iet, even though she had more TIS, since he completed his ait before language school he was considered careerist and wasnt allowed to even live in the barracks and had to get an apt off post.

Back in 2009, it was lax as hell, parties every weekend in barracks loud as fuck. Hung out with other junior enlisted regardless of service. And could go out and enjoy the scenery off post on my own when stressed out from 9 hours straight of korean. It made sense to have off hours lax since courses were stressful as fuck. EE degree was easier.
>>
>>27517114
>>27517089

But Special Forces doesn't do the sneaky stuff, do they? I thought they taught villagers to fight for them.
>>
>>27517027
If I had said "yes" to wanting to be an action hero, what would you have advised of me?
>>
As someone who has had two surgeries, both being not that serious, and no complications afterwards, will the Army accept me?

I had an ERCP, and my pancreas removed.
>>
I was diagnosed with chronic thyroiditis, but now I don't even have a thyroid to itis, as it has been completely eaten away by my immune system. It is treated in the exact same manner as hypothyroidism, and I have been stable on my synthroid for nearly a decade. I have never had any issues.

Can I lie about my thyroiditis and just say I have hypothyroidism, a condition that does not disqualify someone from the Army?
I know you don't need a waiver for it either, so I could just mention it and bring my meds to basic?
>>
>>27518474
Shits easy bro
Enjoy the peanut butter shot
>>
>>27516572
The fuck is an ordie
>>
>>27519369

Define sneaky. Plenty of classified missions sure.

But solo infil missions into enemy bases while wearing and equipped with mil gear? does exist bc thats dumb and unrealistic.
>>
>>27504761
How do you get to the line?
>>
File: psadl.jpg (9KB, 267x181px) Image search: [Google]
psadl.jpg
9KB, 267x181px
>Lost over 100 pounds to join Army
>Had to go into ER yesterday for horrible pain in stomach
>Have Pancreatitis
>Gonna have surgery tomorrow morning
>Was supposed to leave for BCT literally in two weeks
>Now gonna have to wait 6 months, AND submit for a waiver

I lost all that weight for nothing
>>
>>27524993

no you didn't

you're gonna make it

we all are
>>
>>27524862
Sneaky Snake stuff, as discussed before.

But I think you got my meaning. So no one does Sneaky Snake Stuff? Or close to it?
>>
>>27524993

>No longer a disgusting fat ass
Hope your surgery goes well!
>>
File: IMG_7748.jpg (186KB, 1257x844px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7748.jpg
186KB, 1257x844px
I wanna do rooty tooty shooty point and shoot shit. But part of me wants to become a pilot. I'm planning on going to VMI next year, and they claim most if not almost all cadets get pilot slots anyway. However I'm not good with math, and have less then decent eyesight.

Though a job that interest me was TACP, because calling in CAS on targets seems pretty rad, but I know that it's not going to be like that 100% of the time. So what do TACP Officer's actually do most of the time, shit on base and maintain logistics?

Should I just stick with Army ROTC and go infantry? My major/Minor international studies/Foreign Languages would probably have more use there then being a TACP/Pilot
>>
>>27516197
If you don't pass SFAS/the Q course you get released for standards from the 75th and go to an airborne unit
>>
>>27521894
Do they even screen for T-Cell count on Army blood tests?
>>
>>27521894
don't you need your thyroid to live
>>
>>27525261
Not if you take enough synthetic thyroid hormone, like I've been for years. It's not as gone as I made it sound, it's just non-functional. It doesn't even swell.
>>
How hard is it to get secret/top secret clearance in the air force?
>>
File: aepG3Eb_700b.jpg (36KB, 397x659px) Image search: [Google]
aepG3Eb_700b.jpg
36KB, 397x659px
>>27515949

Pooh.
>>
Volunteering for airborne at 68w ait? Still possibly if you're a pt stud and know your shit? I have waivers so no option 4/40 but I can volunteer when in
>>
Question, If I have a Still's heart murmur would that apprehend me from signing up with the navy?
>>
>>27519050
A hooah motivated joe = new and naive.
>>
>>27524973
Be competent and fit. A line medic literally is medically accountable for a whole platoon.

If you're not competent and fit, you'll be clinic, but some people slip through the cracks.
>>
>>27525377
That depends on you and your background.

It shouldn't be too hard as long as you have nothing to hide. They interview all your references so make sure whoever you put down is reliable. Also if you have crazy amount of debt you can be turn down.
>>
>>27525377

generally speaking - main focus is foreign influence (friends, family, investments, citizenship), debt and serious crimes.

dont give a shit about minor drug use, generic alchohol shit etc.
>>
>>27513616
I kek'd heartily.
>>
>>27505148

If you want to be a nuke, go be a nuke.

You get SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY.

Also, immediately transferable skills. Wanna work for a power company making 6 figures? Go be a nuke.

The work is also kind of cool, lots of "If I tell you I have to kill you".

Nukes are mostly nerdy, 4chan/Wow type people so you'd fit in pretty well.

DO IT. DO IT FOR RICKOVER YOU FAGGOT.
>>
>>27516546
>no warfare pin
Stop posting on 4chan and get qualified, fucker.
>>
>>27527577
don't believe this post

hes a plant by the department of the navy
>>
>>27516572
thank you for your service.
IYAOYAS
>>
File: 1411277268208.gif (3MB, 220x209px) Image search: [Google]
1411277268208.gif
3MB, 220x209px
>>27527577
go fuck yourself
>>
>>27518836
1. Move to America
2. Speak English Good
3. Go to Armee Recruiter
4. Say "I want to be in the Army se vous plait"
5. ????
6. Profit (Boot, which is not profit)
>>
>>27525058
Ooh, relevant!

AFROTC cares about grades, PT score, class rank, and AFOQT. Your chance of getting a pilot slot goes up exponentially as each of those goes higher. Class rank is really dictated by field training so do well there and you'll be ok, the rest comes with time. Also, STRAIN RAT.

If you want to go Army, they're handing out ROTC contracts like candy. If you go to VMI or VT or the Citadel, though, you're gonna have more high-speed guys vying for the bang-bang slots, and you'll have to be shit hot.

Math doesn't matter for pilot, either you have the grades or not. We had an English major get picked over an Aerospace Engineer for Navy Pilot.

Eyesight you can go get LASIK/LASEK/PRK on your own dime, or you can wait till after field training and they will pay for it.

Also look into CSO and ABM, both cool flying jobs and potential for TACP or other cool disassociated staff tours.
>>
>>27525058
PRK and branch aviation with your 4.0 in that easy-ass major.
>>
>>27527616
close. NUPOC OC.

I loved getting my E6 pay while doing jack shit and then those dank nuke bonuses.

OCS is ezpz if you're not a shit.

>>27527616
>>27527649
Someone's salty. NUB, perhaps?
>>
>>27516572
AO?
>>
Supply..I'm unsatisfied with my shitty r8 and I wanna cross. The vehicle licenses are sweet so it's not so bad.
>>
>>27527721
AFROTC is sounding a whole lot interesting now, mostly because I have a huge aviation fetish and my plan for Army ROTC was just Infantry->maybe 18x? with no real backups.

AFROTC seems to have better options and shit that I can use when I'm done with service. Also a chance to do shooty shit If I want to,

>>27527742
I don't exactly want to fly helicopters, never really been interested in them or liked flying the Huey in DCS world
>>
howdo I keep track of cadence without a stop watch? and how do I make sure I land midfoot if I'm flatfooted
>>
Which US Military branch drinks the least amount of kool-aid?

I'm thinking Marine Corp >>> Navy > Air Force > Army > Coast Guard
>>
I'm 240, down from a lot more.

I'm 5'10'', maybe 5'11'', I'm not sure.

When should I talk to my local recruiter? What weight can I DEP in?
>>
>>27528818
Each branch has its own height and weight requirements for joining. You should look up height/weight charts and input your age into it.

I used to weigh 270-280 for my age bracket 21-27. In order to join and DEP in I had to be under 181 (was 168 at weighing) at 68 inches (5'8"). The time it took to visit the recruiter to going to MEPS was ~1 week but I had no outstanding issues.
>>
>>27513495
>>27513626
As someone who has dropped out of DEP, the absolute worst thing about it is if you want to talk to another branch (Within the same recruiting office/region), they have to have the initial branch cancel your package in the system. That's literally it. It takes 10 minutes at most. And they can't be dicks and say no.

Worst case, you drive to the next station over.
>>
>>27527664
How would I move to burgerland? I have no jobs or anything. I have 2 years left in french High school
>>
>>27527935
Fuck supply, bunch of useless faggot pricks on my ship
Be the change you want to see in this world anon.
>>
Question, MEG.

How cool would it be o be a 74D in the Army or 5711 in the MC?
>>
I went to MEPs last month on the 29th, and I am joining the Air Force. How long until I know what job they are giving me?
>>
>>27527664

You have to be a permanent resident of the US to join the military, unless you're coming in under MAVNI.

That means years of doing shit to get a green card. It isn't as simple as rolling up to a recruiter as a non-citizen.
>>
>>27531031

If by "cool" you mean "a job field that hasn't had a mission in 50+ years".

Almost anything else is better.
>>
>>27531031

How cool do you think it would be to clean or count promasks and sit in a cage for your entire enlistment?
>>
I leave for navy bootcamp on Tuesday, I was around slight secondhand marijuana smoke last night but didn't smoke any myself nor did I get a contact high but I did smell it. I got paranoid and took an at home test that claims 99.9 % accuracy and is apparently the one used by hospitals and doctors and I passed it. Should I be worried about passing the the drug test at bootcamp?
>>
>>27528746
Least amount of cool aid, from most to least is
Marines
AF(heard an airman say they chose af because it was more like a corporation than a military branch)
Army(50% joined for patriotism type bs, 50% just for money)
Navy(never met one who tried to shit on other services compared to others)
Coast guard, not part of mil, so not the same
>>
>>27531031
Its hilarious when you see a 74d in basic go through gas chamber for first time and immediately regret their decision.

Only 74d e7 i know, went through iraq and afghanistan doing PUblic relations and escort duty for reporters and never actually did his job.
>>
>>27532886
Navy bootcamp is a pump, not a filter. You should be fine.
>>
>>27532999
What do you mean?
>>
>>27533099
We get some people out in the fleet that you wonder how they made it. Got one dude who got medical sep for having schizophrenia and other fucked up things. Plus he'd never shower.
>>
>>27533099

Some military schools are like a filter. They're meant to make sure the graduates who get through the course are good enough and they remove those who aren't. You can fail those schools and a lot of people do. If you fail, it's on you and the people running the school see it as a good thing, they're preserving the standard.

Boot camp (and BCT, etc) are not like that. They're pumps, they're run you through a list of blocks to check and send you on your way. If people fail, the people running the school usually catch flak instead of the other way around. That's why 90%+ of the millions of people who go are graduates.
>>
What's Electrical Systems like in the Air Force?
>>
How would a Frog that speaks 4 languages fluently and is a certified machinist move to burgerland to enlist in the US Army?
>>
>>27533825
figure out how to become a permanent resident. (Shouldn't be that hard to get a job in the us if you speak 4 languages.) Then enlist
>>
Hi guys,

I have wanted to apply for an infantry officer role in the British Army for a long time now. I'm currently working my way up to being fit enough to handle the heavy long marches and to be able to run distances + strength training.

I have also got the GCSEs and A Levels (Maths, Physics, Chem) required to be eligible for selection, and just did the example selection tests (the BARB, numeracy, literacy, the other maths test, and the operation planning written exam [which I did bad on since I didn't understand how to complete it properly, but after reading the example answer I understood well - it's basically just mental maths plus logical reasoning]) and did good (85%+) on all of them except planning.

I was wondering whether it would be a good role for me and most importantly, whether I could realistically pass selection and become a commissioned officer without a university degree or a wealthy background.

I was also wondering whether infantry officers can specialise in medical fields? I was eyeing the combat medical technician role and it was appealing to me, but it is a soldier rank and doesn't fit my goal of becoming an officer. It seems infantry officers can only progress to engineering, reconnaissance, or more advanced fighting roles according to the Army website.

Thanks in advance for any answers. I didn't know where else to ask so I picked /k/.
>>
>>27533917
Aye, problem is, I know no one in the US. Any place I can search? I speak French, English, Swedish and Icelandic.
>>
>>27505148
enjoy being Nuke waste and getting sent to the fleet to chip paint and learn how to be bitch whatever department they dump you in
>>
>>27506200
make sure you are clean all around, I mean shaved face, you scrubbed your pits and crotch/ass clean, you better fucking smell like Irish Spring motherfucker. And wear a pair of underwear. Some dumbass in my goup was free balling it and all they gave him was these pantyhouse looking things. Rest of us standing around in boxers and he's got his junk pressed up agains they Leggs looking like a crossdresser with his long hair.
>>
>>27508781
some 68's get lucky and bounce from hospital to hospital. It's always funny when some 68 that hasn't slung a ruck since basic get's dropped into a Inf unit.
>>
>>27533963
IDK maybe try getting a job someplace with a US division is the best way to get a green card. But it will take a long time to do this
>>
>>27525638
Bump?
>>
>>27525638

Get airborne in your contract or you definitely won't get a chance for it until you're at your unit and only once you've been in enough to make friends.
>>
>>27534233
I know it will take a while to get a green card. But my goal is to enlist in the US Army to get my citizenship. What about MAVNI? On the Goarmy website it states I have to be living there for two years legally then I can enlist. Can I do that?
>>
>>27534016
At my old unit we had a clinic dude in place of our doc while he went to a couple schools.

Dude fell out of everything almost to a point that they almost called an FLA to take him home one day and say fuck it. Shit was hilarious.
>>
>>27534635
*for a big field event
>>
>>27521894
If anyone could help me out, you'd have my thanks.
>>
Honest answer plz, is there a nice exciting mos in the air force where i can shoot shit, and prepare myself to later apply to tacp as soon as i can???
And no i can't get the contract right off the bat i'm no phisically fit yet and i don't have the window of time for it.
>>
>>27507142
>a few dozen
son if you can run a few dozen miles and aren't a skeleton you'll breeze through bootcamp
>>
>>27524993
>for nothing
well, you're no longer a fatass, dummy, fitness is its own reward
>>
>>27530073
Why not just join the french military? Probably a bit more chill than ours, and if you want to be a hardcore elite opr8r you can join the foreign legion.
>>
>>27531031
Also considering CBRN or firefighting, probably would go navy though. Anyone have advice/input?
>>
>>27537681
Oh, also, I'm doing a chem major, so chemistry or biochemistry science officer are of course obvious routes. Probably superior routes, really, but I'm attracted to firefighting because I want emt training.
>>
>>27537770

CBRN is literally shit-tier.

Firefighting is a pretty sweet job, but super rare.

If you want EMT training, just go 68W.
>>
File: 1426064144494.jpg (67KB, 400x511px) Image search: [Google]
1426064144494.jpg
67KB, 400x511px
Should I join the Air Force? My best friend is in the marines, has been in for 3 years now, and he tells me the benefits as well as what it can teach you. I turned 21 last month, I have some college experience but ended up dropping out due to family issues, I work part time at my LGS, I use my step-fathers extra vehicle, I just don't have anything happening for me at the moment and it doesn't help that my mother is an ultra mood swinging bitch a large portion of the day. I'm tired of living with them but I have no real means to live on my own at this time. I think it would be the "easy" way into getting benefits and a good start to adulthood, but am I just being a lazy cunt? Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

P.S. I think I might have mild aspergers

Pic semi related
>>
>>27538169
I take it from higher up posts that CBRN is shit because it's essentially useless nowadays

Yeah, I felt like firefighting would be pretty cool since yknow, most of the time, shits not on fire. Are you actually military or just repeating opinions about cbrn/firefighting? I'd like to know more about being a navy science officer
>>
>>27538847
You don't fight many fires as a DCman in the navy
Still a great r8 tho
>>
>>27519198
Shit shit I'm leaving for navy basic tomorrow and I passed my DLAB and got CTI, any tips??
>>
>>27541864
Study, that shit is hard
Good luck dud
>>
I signed for the guard as a mechanic, I want to ace my pt and see what it earns me. What can I do to get picked for something cool during basic, or is that something that doesn't happen often/reserved for high speed mos?

And you get points or something for signing a buddy right? Was it 1 or 2 buddies? I only managed one so far. I just wanna do as much right with my last month before shipping
>>
>>27541864

Chill. The entire point of the ASVAB and DLAB is to identify people that can actually make it through DLI. Enjoy going to the most fucking awesome training post in the entire US military. You will be studying your balls off, but you're still getting sent to live in California for >1 year.

>>27542680

You probably won't be able to pick up any impromptu "extra training" after BCT because you don't belong to Big Army, you belong to your state. Good PT will make you stand out, because most part-timers don't really care.
>>
>>27542657
>>27542894
Thanks guys,
Also
>>27532886
See you there :^)
>>
Ask an admiral in the United States Navy anything
>>
>>27542894
>DLI
>not a cringefest/future terrorist training camp

>>27545012
are you okay?
>>
>>27541647
Well it was listed as one of the duties of DC. I figure most of the time you're doing repairs/maintenance and such?

Anyone a commissioned navy officer? I'm heavily considering OCS.
>>
>>27545012
>top level military leadership shitposting on /k/
I want to believe
>>
Welp, failing 2 of my classes in college.

Time to apply for the army.
>>
>>27538847
Coincidental that you should mention firefighting. Firefighter units (and civilians) are actually, on average, much better suited to handling a chemical incident. They both tend to have a higher level of training, as well as much better equipment, such as quick setup mass decontamination lines.

Aside from a few selection Chemical Corps units, military chem units tend to be the dregs, and they don't take their mission seriously. About the only thing they are good for is doing mass vehicle and equipment decontamination while under the supervision of people like firefighter running a scene.

Also, CBRN/CBRNE is a stupid acronym and i hate that it replaced the much cleaner, simpler "NBC" just because some Major probably needed an OER bullet point.
>>
>>27545012
assuming legit, please tell me about being a commissioned officer in the navy
>>
/k/ tell me if I fucked up or not. I enlisted in the Guard because lol college tuition and I ship out in April to basic. I know you get a penicillin shot in basic and I'm kinda freaking the fuck out. When I was enlisting I was filling out the form and did not list as an allergy that I was allergic to penicillin, I told my recruiter right before going to MEPs and he was like "well sheeeit". Him and another recruiter there said that since I'm not like super allergic to just tell them at basic that "my mom said I get a rash and stuff from penicillin and they'll give you a red dog tag". How fucked am I, if at all? Will it really be that big of a deal or am I just freaking out for no reason?
>>
>>27546949
You're gonna die. Shouldn't have lied, dummy.
>>
>>27547334
That's the thing though, I didn't lie until the recruiter said to just say "my mom says penicillin gives me a rash".
>>
>>27546949

You're fine faggot. Instead of getting a shot you go drink something instead of get a shot. A red dog tag goes in your boot so if you became knocked out and shit the corpsman or medical personnel know you're allergic without needing to ask you.

It's standard and not a problem.
>>
>>27547462
Other anon beat me to it. Just tell them there was a mixup or something. They won't give a shit, they just don't want to kill you with penicillin by accident.
>>
>>27547563
>>27547515
I love you anons. Thank you calming me the fuck down. I sincerely hope you both go find the person of your dreams and live a life you can be proud of. God bless.
>>
>>27537770
>>27538847
>>27546867
same guy here, turns out a doctorate is generally expected for science officers. Still looking for information from a seaman if possible, I'm not sure if I want to go for commissioned officer. That money and them uniforms, but do officers really get much camaraderie? Kinda seems like even low level commissioned officers wouldn't get a whole lot of socialization due to being fewer of them and fraternization rules.
>>
Guys i want a unit that still has somewhat active deployments, whats the best? I was thinking of army rangers
>>
>>27509501
>Command urinalysis last week
>Trying to piss, gots the stage fright
>Motherfucker watching me
>"Would it help if I yelled at you?"
>"Just pretend I'm not watching. I am watching, but just pretend I'm not"
>"I'm not here right now. I'm not here right now."
>Slaps hand against face and pretends he's covering his eyes

Goddammit, Petty Officer.
>>
>>27516320
Scrubbed the shit outta Lord Rickover's toilets.
>>
>>27516572
Go qualify, you boot fuck.
>>
>>27538183

Sure, why not?
>>
File: Capture.png (129KB, 316x229px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
129KB, 316x229px
>chose airborne linguist when I went to MEPs
>see this thread
Well, fuck.
>>
>>27548367
Anyone know more than the navy website about SWCC?
>>
>>27508828
Be a more qualified candidate than someone from 4chan, probably
>>
>>27545243
Yeah, I mean you're still a part of the flying squad so you're still first response to whatever casualty happens, it just depends on how often casualties actually happen.
Lots of dumb shits on my ship for instance so we get fairly regular fires.
You also drill a lot so you get to play fireman quite often
Other than that it's maintenance and pms, yeah
>>
>>27548367
Fraternization isn't as strict in the fleet but it's still there, and yeah the officer community is more tight knit and perhaps even lonelier (for lack of a better word) since the number of enlisted far outweighs the number of officers.
>>
Krautfag here. Is /MEG/ only for Americans or do we have some Bundeswehr here too?

I'm a Software Engineer in training and would like to join the Bundesmarine around next year if possible. Anyone got some insider knowledge? Is my only chance the Heer?
>>
Anyone know if you can turn in your security clearance paperwork unfinished for the navy?

I don't have all the necessary information for previous employers, previous housing, and references and can't get the information. I've got like 75-80% of the paperwork filled out but I'm missing a few things.

Can I drop it off at my recruiters office or do I need absolutely everything filled out? I tried asking me recruiter on facebook but he ignored me, probably because it's been a few months since he gave me the paperwork.
>>
So, /k/, I've never really lurked much as I've been at Uni (US) and never really considered much in terms of military life. However, I've recently learned about the Navy Civil Engineering Corps and it sounds interesting to me, specifically the public works aspect, as I would rather be working on important projects than just helping with some corporation. I've got an informal interview on Thursday, so I wanna know what any good questions to ask.
Anyone know about the CEC or other Civil engineering opportunities within the military, and what they're like? Or should I just stick to private industry?
>>
>>27553749
American here. I see no reason not to welcome everyone in this thread, it might be hard to get a good reply though. If you get a degree in software engineering I feel like you should definitely be able to get a good spot in the navy.
>>
>>27555516
bump
>>
File: 1442845162569.png (9KB, 401x367px) Image search: [Google]
1442845162569.png
9KB, 401x367px
>>27549676
BETTER STUDY MY BOY.
duolingo is pretty good, but it doesn't have all the languages you will probably need.
>>
A history of depression and antidepressants fuck me out of a lot of military related jobs, doesnt it? Would love to be a fighter pilot.
>>
>>27555516
you have to turn it in.

FYI for references for former employment and housing, you just need to put ppl down who knew that you worked or lived there.

So for example reference for highschool, would be a buddy who went to school for you.

Reference for former house can be a friend who knew you lived there.

A few months since you talked with recruiter? Do you not PT with him/her. How far did you get in the process? meps? asvab? signed contract?
>>
>>27549676
If you dont know a language already/photographic memory/language learning talent.....you fucked up OP.

If you are going in as army, the airborne option doesnt even matter because they hand that option out to any 35p who has good pt scores and asks. I would say about 1 in 200 people request airborne packet while at DLI
>>
>>27547675
Not any of those anons,

But i joined and was 50/50 sure I am allergic to penicillin. My mom is the only source of info on it, and her explanation is, her, my sister, and dad are allergic, so I must be allergic too. Even though I have never been given it.

I went through 7 years never having a penicilin shot in the army.

Everytime i was supposed to get one, I just didnt show up, or it got canceled on me.

When you get in mil, you have this online medical checklist that says you are either red yellow or green on stuff like shots, hearing test, blood work etc.

For first 5 years, I had all red, and was never told to get a full physical until I asked why everyone else has had a yearly check up and I hadnt. Their faces were like WTF u havnt had a full physical in 5 years.

Only medical shit ive had done to me that whole time was the mandatory flu shots. No one ever told me shit, and I went through my way in the army up to e5 without any problems. Still dont know if im allergic to penicilin.
>>
>>27533825
us army MAVNI(sp?) program
>>
>>27556668
>>27556668
Bumping my question
>>
>>27556668
It won't effect your chances for 99% of military jobs. Unfortunately for you, fighter pilot is one of the 1% where it will.
>>
>>27557457
Just my luck. Even if I am off of them by then?
>>
>>27557491
Why even disclose your med info? does the depression affect you currently? like within 3 years? if you are good to go, go for it. No background check will look into medical history, UNLESS it was reported in a crime, or reported to state after age 18. Everything before age 18 is essentially a free pass(except serious crimes and mental breakdowns where cops got called).

Anon if you feel you cannot handle life without meds to keep you stable, dont go high risk job in military, go for something else like something technical or something in intel.

If you feel serving in mil will help, go for it, but if you are not completely okay without meds, dont go for any high risk type jobs.
>>
>>27557844
I have recently been diagnosed with chronic depression. It is not crippling, but it can prevent me from being happy like a normal man. I will probably need to stay on the meds, what else can I do in the military with them?
>>
>>27557183
I took the picat and they've got my information for the most part. They gave me a bunch of security paperwork and said they would look into my medical conditions as I had 2 surgeries. That was probably 2 or 3 months ago and they never contacted me about my medical stuff.

The only things I'm missing in the paperwork is 1 previous address and reference, a reference for my last address, a reference for college, and references/supervisor info for 2/3 jobs. I really have no way of getting any of this information either.
>>
>>27557844
Just checked the airforces approved medication list, my antidepressants arent on it. Welp
>>
Anyone have info about the air force? I'm pretty interested in pararescue but I would feel kinda wasted being enlisted when I'm going to have 2 degrees when I join. Doesn't help that officers are paid double what enlisted are across the board.
>>
>>27558753
Questions about AFSOC, primarily PJ's, would be better answered at specialtactics.com

They are active and former PJ's, they'll help you.

But the officer version of a PJ is a CRO(Combat Rescue Officer).
>>
>American citizenship is not a requirement for service in the USMC, only a valid work visa or green card
Anyone have any experience with foreigners in the various US branches?
>>
>>27558842
Oh thanks, I must have overlooked that, and thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>27558842
>>27559975
website doesn't seem to be operational anymore
>>
>>27558753
talk to an officer recruiter
>>
File: 7nKc4d7H.jpg (167KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
7nKc4d7H.jpg
167KB, 500x281px
Serious question... if I've done some questionable things that society frowns upon like translating and editing hentai, guro and other non-vanilla stuff specifically, will that affect my chances of obtaining a security clearance?

I have hard drives full of my "projects" and other forms of entertainment stored. Should I get rid of those now or will these surface and end up biting me in the ass someday?
>>
>>27560154
If you had an official salary doing that, it might show up, and would probably prevent you from having high level clearance. If you didn't do it any official capacity, how the fuck are they going to know
>>
>>27560054
Yeah, I just want to delay talking to a recruiter for a while because I don't want to get bombarded with mail and requests to enlist if I get a mediocre recruiter before I've come most of the way to a decision
>>
>>27502000
I have glasses and no highschool or ged.
can I still enlist into 11b ?
>>
>>27560406
Pretty sure you need at least a GED for 11b. Glasses are no problem as long as you can see fine with them on I'm pretty sure
>>
where the fuck can i find a list for low risk countries? god damn
>>
>>27560476
What about scars they were not deliberate but everyone says they are?
Also what kinda work out should I start with I am also a smoker so thats out not.
>>
>>27560642
Especially for 11b they're not likely to care about scars, for some others you might have to insist that they were legitimate injuries. For workouts, do pushups, pullups, and situps to help you succeed on the tests, deadlifts, squats, and overhead press will help your leg strength, stability, and shoulder strength, and tons of cardio. For the army you need to be a pretty good runner, you have to make decent time on a 3 mile run I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>27560820
I can do cardio and pullups situps but got no weight equipment
>>
>>27560865
Don't worry about it then, you should still be ok. You can do pike pushups to replace overhead press, and bodyweight or split squats instead of regular weighted ones. Google them for form
>>
>>27559986
Oh, apologies. TE and Yukon are usually on top of stuff like this, so it should be up soon
>>
>>27561598
Right on man.
Can't wait to get me ged and start training I'm going to bed now and getting up to run.
If this thread is still around or another thread gets put up I'll ask questions pertaining to what I should do and expect.
>>
>>27557894
tbh if you aren't 100% in the game you probably won't even get through pilot selection. Go for something a little less elite if you suffer from depression.

>>27560865
Look into joining a gym. If you really want the job, take it seriously. Gym memberships are not very expensive, mine is £23 a month, but only gym would be £15 a month. That's less than £5 a week.
>>
>>27515879

Let me help you out, even if its just a little.

>1. Does National Guard have enlistment bonuses such as quick ship and all of that?

I don't believe so, ask a recruiter

>2. I would like to go to college and become a psychiatrist, then do army psychiatrist for a couple of years to "pay back" them paying for my education. Would it be correct to assume National Guard would be preferable if I want to attend college/school in general?

Yes, if you want to pursue an education NG is the way to go. However I know the Army offers direct commissioning deals for people who are doctors or lawyers, so you may want to speak with an Army recruiter

>3. What normal jobs do National Guard guys get usually?

If you enlist, you get to choose your MOS.

>4. If I was to join Active Duty Army, how hard is it studying while being a full time soldier?

Extremely difficult. Do not do this.

>5. I have double citizenship in shitty commie country (Denmark), I am currently living here but want to go enjoy freedom and guns in America, sadly I might get drafted before and serve ridiculous 3 month service in danish "military". Will that affect my chances of getting security clearance in the US Army?

To be an Army psychiatrist the security clearance won't be dramatic. You should be fine.
>>
>>27509320
Were they talking about the 68C MOS? Prictal Nurse Specialist?

You go to AIT for a year, with testing and clinical rotations, then sit for your NCLEX for your LPN license.

68Cs go to hospitals, Combat Support Hospitals, and the rare spot in infantry units. It's not as cool as 68W, but you can flip your nursing license into a job on the outside.
>>
>>27531031
74Ds are basically extra slots in a company TOC. I have never seen them do anything else.
>>
>>27565271
AMEDD Recruiters are the guys to look for. Talk to one now and see what they can offer.

For the dudes already in that have degrees, there are programs for MD, RN, Social Work, you name it. Talk to an AMEDD recruiter and figure out what you need to drop a packet down.
>>
What is life at basic training in the British army like, for line infantry?
>>
Thinking about doing something lame for the airforce like pest control or diet therapy, anyone have any knowledge?
>>
Alright, /k/omrades, interview time.
Doesn't matter what branch you are, as long as you're enlisted, or have been enlisted. If you want, you can give your name and specialty.

Question One:
What are the main duties of your occupation/specialty?

Question Two:
What are the secondary duties of your occupation/specialty that civilians may not be aware of?

Question Three:
What is your favorite part of your occupation/specialty?

Question Four:
What is your least favorite part of your occupation/specialty?

Question Five:
Do you feel your occupation/specialty is fulfilling to yourself?
Thread posts: 309
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.