[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Click for more| Home]

ARCHERY!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 305
Thread images: 29

File: Unknown.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Unknown.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
Holy fucking shit /k/.. this guy is the greatest archer I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

He basically read the old historical accounts of how archers used their bows and arrows and he threw away all the modern shit and started practicing the old way. The result is fucking amazing!

Go take a look.... this guy does shit for real that you don't even see being done in movies using CGI because it might be too unbelievable...
>>
>>24451510
Or maybe the reason he's good is because of the fuckhuge amount of time spent practicing.
>>
>>24451510
He's good and all but I'm curious if he can make those rapid shots with a bigger bow and not a 15# DW.

That bow would struggle to reach a 100 yds shot.
>>
>>24451554
>People who are good at things have practiced them a lot.

Might as well be on steroids, right?
>>
>>24451554
>Or maybe the reason he's good is because of the fuckhuge amount of time spent practicing.
It's not just that, it's the technique. He has a second video comparing people on YT who are famous for shooting fast to himself... he can shoot 10 arrows in <5seconds while the second best is that Russian girl with 13 sec.

Hell, he's even faster than Legolas in LOTR/Hobbit movies!
>>
File: 1277681569602.jpg (28KB, 331x319px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1277681569602.jpg
28KB, 331x319px
>those fucking comments
>>
Where is his fedora?
>>
Comparison video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g
>>
>>24451577
The implication is that the only reason he can do all those fancy tricks is because he used some soopar sekrit bowl it's technique passed down from generation to generation.

About the only thing that makes a huge difference is shooting from the right side of the bow. And maybe not using a quiver.

Both are things that aren't exactly special.
>>
>>24451626
I just don't get, in what situation would you need to throw away all your arrows in 5 seconds?
>>
>>24451661
>bowl it's
Totally meant bowjitsu.
>>
>>24451663
literally any close quarters combat?

>>24451510
Fucking neat, but I'll stick to target shooting thanks.
>>
>>24451661
>shooting from the right side of the bow
if took time to aim it would fall right off, especially if used an actual bow instead of a trainer #10 for kids
>>
>>24451681
>close combat archery
>in 2015
you fucking what?
no one ever used bows for close combat like ever
>>
As an archer this made me cringe, hard

Where is poorfag archer, he'll probably say the same thing
>>
>>24451695
That's why you always carry a katana.
>>
>>24451681
>close combat
Oh, you mean when the archers would draw their short swords and arming swords and knives on the off chance that the ranks and ranks of footmen screening and flanking them failed?

Using a bow close quarters is about as stupid as you can get.
>>
>>24451700
I'm not a big archery guy. But other than the narration, I thought the video was cool. What was so "cringy" about it? Just deviation from standard technique?
>>
>>24451700
me too but I use a big heavy longbow.
takes me the same amount of time to shoot one arrow that he takes to shoot his dozen.
I hope he's not planning on hunting...
>>
>>24451695
There's no reason for modern people to know the skill, but there's a reason for it to exist.

It wasn't unheard of for archers to be forced into melee by an enemy closing ground with them.

No point for anyone to learn it anymore though.

>>24451711
Yes, then would be the time to use it.
As you say, a smart person would just pull a short sword instead of learning this shit, but it could work.
>>
>>24451681
supressing fire
kek
>>
>>24451710
>KATANA ARROWS
>>
Wow look how he hits all those 10 ft away targets
>>
File: gBo0hke.jpg (322KB, 962x1443px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
gBo0hke.jpg
322KB, 962x1443px
>>24451743
Arrow tip strong like katana.
Can cut through anything.
Gaijin go home.
>>
>>24451712
It just reminds me of those people who go to the rifle range and try to be "tacticool"
Also nothing is over 20 yards for the shot in that video, I hunt, I'm routinely hitting out to 50.
Also that bow cannot be more than 30 pound draw if even that.
>>
>>24451712
They're attempting to say that this guys technique was the actual technique used by archers for combat and such. Or on the very off chance I heard it all wrong, they at the least heavily implied it.

The biggest problem is that holding the arrows in your hand in a combat situation is entirely impractical. You're an archer, you're sitting back behind lines with the protection of your foot soldiers in front of you. You don't place down rapid shots, holding the arrows just makes things harder. Your arrows are stuck in the ground at your feet or in your quiver, and you release in a volley as ordered, until you're given a release at will command at which point you pick your own targets. You don't trying to fire off as many shots a second as you can. Arrows take time and money to make, you don't have an unlimited supply, you'd run out of arrows and your buddy Lewis the Third won't share any of his because the commander also only gave him a set amount. Arrows had to stretch across the time frame of a battle, not just 5 minutes.

>>24451728
>it could work
Right, just like someone could cut down a tree with a sword. You use a tool for the purpose it was made, the ONLY time you use a bow in close quarters is to club someone with it until you can draw your own sword. You never do any fancy bullshit like "rapid fire arrows in hand" because it's the stupidest shit possible and would get you killed.
>>
>>24451794
>Right, just like someone could cut down a tree with a sword.
Nigger I'm not saying it's a good thing to do, just that it's theoretically possible.
>>
>>24451794
>this guys technique was the actual technique used by archers for combat and such
no way, from the pictures in the video it's mostly from medieval england, those guys had bows from 80-100 lbs draw weight
>>
Him vs uncle Jerry battling to the death, who wins?
>>
>>24451824
society
>>
>>24451794
>Arrows had to stretch across the time frame of a battle, not just 5 minutes.
I remember reading about a roman battle where they got forced into a corner and shot to hell
Their plan was to wait unti lthe archers ran out of arrows.
They surrendered once they realised that they were constantly bringing more arrows with camel trains.
Kinda neat.
>>
>>24451808
Alright, fine I'll accept that it's theoretically possible, only because I've gone full retard at the archery range and fired 3 arrows at once, just to see if I could. However, both things are horribly impractical. This is not "the true technique" or however these guys tried to put it. It's dumb, it's impractical, was never used as stated. Just like my retarded 3 arrows at once.
>>
>>24451834

That was one situation in which slingers had a pretty significant tactical advantage. Depending on the terrain of the battle, they could gather ammo.

Couldn't do tight formations, though.
>>
>>24451844
>I've gone full retard at the archery range and fired 3 arrows at once
What happened?

But yeah, they're trying to make it sound much better than it is.
>>
Anyone here have much experience with Hoyt equipment?
I'm intending to go get at Horizon riser tomorrow, wondering if anyone knows any better.
>>
>>24451700
>As an archer this made me cringe, hard
That's because you're a giant fаggоt. And you shouldn’t call yourself an archer... you're just a baby enthusiast with a shitty compound bow that any retard can shoot.
>>
>>24451895
>that any retard can shoot.
daily reminder that anyone CAN shoot
just not anyone can shoot well
>>
>>24451791
>Also that bow cannot be more than 30 pound draw if even that.

You're wrong. On everything.
>>
>>24451822
I... what? I'm not sure if you're trying to agree with me or not. Did you read the full first sentence or did I accidentally trigger you, because I don't want to be "that guy" who tries to correct someone agreeing with him. But yes, your point was the one I forgot to include. In a battle situation, or any situation really, attempting this "technique" with a proper poundage bow would be so difficult as to not be worth trying. Your arms would get tired quicker than they should, your fingers would take unnecessary stress and by the end of the day you wouldn't want to do it again. I'd like to see this guy using his technique for a few hours straight. This is all assuming of course he even has the strength to pull the bow that many times that quickly.
>>
>>24451895
>you're just a baby enthusiast with a shitty compound bow that any retard can shoot.
Okay there non-archer friend

>>24451909
Did they mention draw weight in the video?
I watched it with the sound off
>>
>>24451906
>just not anyone can shoot well
...and the guy from OP's video can outshoot you even on his worst day... without even trying hard.


point is that modern archery is shit.
>>
>>24451935
I'd like to see him hit past 50 yards
>>
>>24451824
>dat poor SW327
The fuck happened to it? It looks beat up as fuck.
>>
>>24451864
>what happened
Shooting 3 arrows at once on a single draw? Worse spread than a vidya game shotgun. Well, not quite that bad, but damn close.
>>
>>24451935
>point is that modern archery is shit.
>stop liking what I don't like

I guess you think we should still use decapitated heads for footballs.
>>
>>24451663
In what situation would you need to empty your handgun's, shotgun's, or rifle's magazine in 5 seconds? Military studies suggest that the more rounds fired, the more likely the enemy has been incapacitated.

If you're facing an enemy, you keep firing until they stop fighting. You don't stop and tell them that you'll only spare them 3 shots so please don't hurt me.
>>
File: archertears.jpg (10KB, 236x314px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
archertears.jpg
10KB, 236x314px
>>24451510

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_1z3GwxQk

The guy is a trickshot archer and nothing more.

To say that his rapid fire shooting is applicable for combat is like saying olympic air rifles are suitable for modern warfare.
>>
>>24451945
I'm kinda surprised they would even leave the bow.

On another note, I wonder if using two arrows makes them both fly weaker.
>>
This is just what archers did before archers were just masses of peasants trained over the weekend to fire in volleys
>>
File: 1420908917462.jpg (21KB, 363x320px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1420908917462.jpg
21KB, 363x320px
>>24451791
>It just reminds me of those people who go to the rifle range and try to be "tacticool"

It's actually the opposite from being tacticool. it's the guys with compound bows and sights and quivers and stabilizers and all kinds of other shit attached to their bows that are "tacticool".
>>
>>24451969
Very. I tried shooting two at once before moving up to three. Shooting two arrows at once I was able to hit the "target" (read, the fuck huge bundle of hay but not the actual target in the middle). Both arrows were about 2 to 3 feet apart and they both stuck with the force I could throw them at. Maybe just a tad bit more. Like a 10 pound kids bow.
>>
>>24451982
>and sights and quivers and stabilizers
If it has a practical purpose then it's not tacticool
sights, stabilisers and quivers are all pretty fucking useful.
>>
>>24451949
Not even close to being applicable.

For one, ammunition is really fucking cheap compared to arrows back when archers were a thing.
For two, you don't need to fire ten arrows in five seconds when you've got a thousand other dudes next to you aiming at the same area.
For three, it'd be really tiring if not downright impossible to rapid-fire a 120 pound bow
>>
File: loser lisa.jpg (11KB, 300x324px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
loser lisa.jpg
11KB, 300x324px
>>24451960
>To say that his rapid fire shooting is applicable for combat is like saying olympic air rifles are suitable for modern warfare.
[citation needed]
Where are you getting that from? Straight from your ass? Are you an expert on historical use of archery in military conflicts?

Fact is that ancient military books are online now and you can read from them and see what the requirements for archers were and how they trained. To claim that you know better is beyond retarded. You're a nobody who has never seen any combat. And especially not combat with bows and arrows.
>>
>>24451969
Yes, but not by half. The string accelerates and has slightly more resistance. There's a fair amount of wasted energy with a bow.
>>
>>24451982
see>>24451999

said it before I could, having a stabilizer/quiver on a bow is nothing like having a laser or flashlight on your AR at the range
>>
>>24452004
You've never loosed a bow have you.
>>
Another issue is movement.

He says that archers need to be able to move and that modern target shooting isn't realistic because you stand still. But is that really true?

Outside of archers on horseback, I have never heard (though, admittedly I've never looked) of archers needing to hit targets while on the move. That sounds distinctly Hollywood to my ears.
>>
>>24451924
I did not watch the video now, but I have seen it earlier and IIRC it was a 35#
>>
File: boomnigga.jpg (46KB, 976x417px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
boomnigga.jpg
46KB, 976x417px
Everybody who thinks arrows and bows are outdated should watch Rambo again.

Also
>itt we pretend somebody said something different from what they actually said and then attack that statement instead
>>
>>24451943
Well it's in the hands of a professional shooter, so my guess is he shot it. A lot.
>>
>>24452000
But firearm ammunition requires SCIENCE! to make. An arrow only required a learned skill and a short knife. Not all battles will be between armies of 1000+ men each. Skirmishes between far smaller groups or even individuals was frequent. And finally, there's no need to fully draw that heavy bow for every shot. Your fullest draw is for the longest range shots which, coincidentally, are the slowest.
>>
>>24451783
sauce ?
>>
It occurs to me that the cartoonish launching of multiple arrows at once could be a misunderstanding of the drawings portraying people holding extra arrows in their drawing hand.
>>
>>24452110
Or the implication of others standing behind (and also loosing arrows). Kind of tough to carve 100 detailed archers in a line when the carving is accompanied by oral tradition.
>>
>>24452106
http://imgur.com/gallery/TZ4i5
>>
>>24452110
That's what he's doing. He's just nocking them quickly. He's not shooting more than one at a time.
>>
>>24451711

define close quarters. 7 yards is definitely close quarters, but it's still farther away than basically every melee weapon except the sarissa. I would prefer to stop someone while they're 7 yards away than within striking distance of a knife or sword, because that makes it less likely that I'm the one that's bleeding.
>>
>>24452124
I'd fuck the surrender out of France.
>>
Who NEEDS a high capacity army style assault bow these days?
>>
>guy firing off more arrows in a shorter amount of time than anyone here probably previously thought possible
>using original source documents and illustrations to base his techniques off of
>fires them in almost every mock combat situation possible
>hits his target every time
>yes, you retards, even fires at such a long distance he can arc his shot and still hit it
>pierces chainmail
>a hurp durp this is completely inaccurate and worthless

I guess you idiots always have to shit on something. I'm pretty sure he can hit a 100m stationary man-sized target too, probably with his eyes closed.
>>
>>24452131
It's a trade-off. Bows have a effective minimum distance (even for speed shooters) while blades require drawing a new weapon. An archer is obviously more skilled with a bow, so will they use their most skillful weapon at its disadvantage or switch to a weapon they're less skillful with?
>>
>>24451943
All I see is powder residue on it.
Or did you just want an excuse to brag you know it's a 327?
>>
>>24452092
>Everybody who thinks arrows and bows are outdated should watch Rambo again.
kek'd hard. you do realize that еxplоѕivе arrows are bullshit, right?
>>
>>24452123

Fair enough.

>>24452126

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm saying that the concept of someone loosing 2 or more arrows at once in fiction could be from misunderstanding the historical illustrations of people holding extra arrows in their drawing hand.

>>24452131

Meteor Hammer and rope dart, maybe, but those are weird even by East Asian standards.
>>
>>24452091
35# is enough to penetrate an unarmored man. It's not great, but the situation has already gone to shit if you need to speed-shoot a bunch of guys 10 yards away.

Still think it would be more sensible to run away instead of pulling some Legolas shit, though.
>>
Good god, he looks like such a fag
>>
>>24452168
>Fire
>>
File: zaku mind blown.png (368KB, 640x480px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
zaku mind blown.png
368KB, 640x480px
>ARCHERY DRIVE-BY
>>
>>24452131
You're right, for the most part, for a one on one fight. Which I sort of doubt many duels were fought with a bow but I could be completely wrong on that. In most cases 7 yards in front of an archer, and all the other archers around him, would be the screen of footmen set to protect against flanking because if someone takes out your archers and still has his, he has a huge advantage.
>>
File: 1420923901333.jpg (42KB, 432x288px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1420923901333.jpg
42KB, 432x288px
ITT sperglord REALLY REALLY REALLY liked legolas from lotr
>>
>>24451834
That was Carrhae, the battle that cost that faggot Crassus his life. Interestingly, the Parthian general was such a badass that his king ordered his execution because he thought the general was a threat to him.
>>
>>24451510
Yeah this kind of shits all over every other archer without proper justification.

He's a speed archer with the magic of youtube editing to make it seem like he can be impossibly good and get these kinds of shots on the first try when he works hard to get them perfect like everyone else.

His groups are shit compared to those static archers but it is true he has balls and motion control to do shit like get shot at with a bow.
>>
>>24451685
it blows my mind that you fags will put this guy down when he's better at something than you'll ever be at anything in your entire life.
>>
>>24452353
Someone can be really good at balancing a spoon on their dick, I'll still call them stupid.
>>
>>24452353
Eh his groups were shit at close range.

And half of this is just how good he is at nocking and catching shit rather then shooting.
>>
I feel like this fag is posting himself.
>>
>>24451794
You do realize that for the majority of history, up till the end of the bronze age, all foot soldiers were archers as well? Both the Egyptians and Assyrians primarily relied on archers in battle, and would mainly use chariots to take them into firing range, and from then on it was them moving on foot until they were close enough to hit each other with short blades.
>>
>>24451510
Alright let's set the record straight.
1: His methods are suitable and useful for close combat against lightly armoured opponents.

2: His methods would not be suitable for long ranged formation archery. Full draw lengths on heavy bows for maximum range, accuracy, and penetration heavily decreases one's ability to launch arrows with speed. There are not many archers who can get ten arrows downrange with a hundred pound bow in any space of time measured in seconds who is not winded afterwards. Additionally, battlefield formation fighting calls for less individual movement, meaning the fancy moving trickshots are not useful for a foot archer formation.

3: I will not take it for granted that he can penetrate a proper combination of rivetted maille and heavy layered gambeson. The video does not adequately detail the method of manufacture for the test armour, which leads me to suspect loose, thinly weaved rings on a thin or improperly produced gambeson. The mannequin underneath also has no give as a human meat/water sack would. Use ballistics gel, or a pig.
>>
>>24452295
>ITT sperglord REALLY REALLY REALLY liked legolas from lots
huh? he trounced him and Legolas was all CGI.
>>
>man learns to use bows like ancient cavalry archers and foot archers
>every faggot starts applying medieval tactics to it as reasoning why he's bad

Wow people.
>>
>>24452411
>like ancient cavalry archers and foot archers
That's the problem,
It's not like those.
>>
>>24452411
see
>>24452404

He's not bad at all. These techniques are just not suitable for something like a longbow formation.
>>
>>24451510

This guy is goofy as all fuck. What's up with all that extra arm movement? I'm surprised he's not running with his arms trailing behind him.

Also, he's drawing that bow like a quarter of the draw length. That's like saying I can punch 20 times in a second because my punches are 1 in.


Despite that, he does have a lot of practice and is good at the things he's doing.
>>
File: NOTTHIS.jpg (69KB, 798x449px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
NOTTHIS.jpg
69KB, 798x449px
>>24451510
OP, you got trolled hard and you are most likely a moron for falling for this shit...
>>
>>24451999
So the vertical foregrip and bipod on my nugget is not tacticool, then? The practical purpose it serves is to give me a steadier shot.
>logic
>>
File: 1421359255961.jpg (70KB, 693x368px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1421359255961.jpg
70KB, 693x368px
>>24452411
some people here are jealous, rest re jus trucking retarded.. it's /k/ after all... can't expect much more from grown men who worship little jap cartoon girls.
>>
>>24452388
Yes, I am aware. But I also doubt that THOSE archers were using this guy's "technique". Anyway, my examples are medieval based because, well I could be wrong but that seemed to be what the focus of this "technique" was; english archers and european archers in the medieval period.
>>
>>24452367
How is the even remotely comparable. You'll never be as accomplished as this guy. You should probably just kill yourself.
>>
>>24452424
>It's not like those.
I watched the video and they made a case for how it was, with evidence.

>>24452425
Exactly, but browse the thread and half the fags are saying "muh longbows, muh penetration, muh formations".
>>
>>24451794
Also going off of what >>24451834 said. Most pitched medieval battles had designated people to run supplies from the baggage train to the soldiers. Archers would rarely run out of arrows unless they got separated or cut off from the train.
>>
>>24452411
But he's making it out to be a MUCH bigger deal then it is. With the implication that if your DON'T do it like he does it (nothing more than putting the arrow on the other side of the bow and learning to use both hands) then you're doing it all wrong because his way is so much better.
>>
>>24452435
>The practical purpose it serves is to give me a steadier shot.
Do you use your nugget in shooting competitions while standing?
yes?
then it's not tacticool, but you're a retard for using a nugget in a competition.

>>24452451
>very good at something useless
it's very related.
I don't want to be good at spoon balancing.

>>24452452
Their evidence was paintings which zoom in so that you can only see a single archer.
Other than that he just says "I read books"
>>
>>24452464
This.
It's like he's slandering every archer for doing it wrong, when they're not.
>>
>>24452462
Or when all the archers in the army rapid fired 10 arrows in 5 seconds every volley. Arrows would run out fast.
>>
>>24452468
They provided pictures and sources. Do you want them to read a bunch of books out to you like a 12 year-old in pre-school?

>>24452464
Of course, he's making a youtube video. Shit was overly flashy. But calling him retarded and what he does bad and shit is just unjustified. It's the kind of shit people say to gun owners.
>>
>>24452435
Bipod is not, foregrip is. Foregrips may offer additional stability for followup shots, but followup shots are not a thing on a bolt-action rifle.

Tacticool accessories offer a legitimate use. What makes them tacticool is when they're on the gun but they won't actually be used for that purpose. A peq-2 is useful when you need to designate targets at night when you're all wearing night vision. It is tacticool when some random fag has it on his AR at the range.
>>
>>24452488
>Do you want them to read a bunch of books out to you like a 12 year-old in pre-school?
Yes. That's literally the best way to prove something.
>>
>>24452447
Of course they wouldn't be using his technique, no historical archers would. My points to counter your statement are that they weren't sitting stationary behind a mass of infantry, and they weren't all sitting there waiting for some idiot to yell loose, they were moving around and firing as fast as they could at any target they saw.
>>
>>24452182
They exist, sort of.

There's a company that makes arrow heads that you put a live .44 onto, for...er, for hunting purposes.
>>
>>24452638
that's both hilarious and stupid
>>
>>24452447

He was talking about assyrian and babylonian archers as much as he was medieval european ones.

I think the focus wasn't so much on "Everyone else is bad and should feel bad", but more "I think this is how they really did it, and look at all this wacky stuff doing it that way lets me do."
>>
>>24452661

Yes. Yes it is!
>>
>>24452468
>Their evidence was paintings which zoom in so that you can only see a single archer.
>Other than that he just says "I read books"

>You are now aware that this is actually where the vast majority of historical knowledge comes from.

Seriously do you even understand how history works?

What this what you expected:
"Hi, this is Anumaptai. We found his bones in the desert in the middle east, and brought him back to life. He lived 3,000 years ago, and he's taught me how to shoot a bow."
>>
>>24452637
You're applying this to pre/early post bronze age, right? In that case I won't argue with you, because I don't know too much about that time period. If you say they didn't stay stationary and wait for too many orders, then I'll take your word and that's how it was.
>>
>all this buttrage

Idk I thought it was pretty cool. Id still use a compound bow with sights and other fancy shit for hunting that I can only shoot a few times in a minute or whatever, but I still thought it was cool.
>>
>>24452701
I think the "wacky" shit is what a lot of people are calling bullshit on, and the main downfall of the "technique". Why bother learning this strange way that lets you do "wacky" shit when in order to fight a battle all you have to learn his how to stand straight, aim, and release where you want. You don't need anything fancy to put arrows down range.
>>
>>24452726
I was. However, even during medieval times archery was more than standing in the rear and taking turns shooting. In most medieval engagements, archers were always placed in the front, and the only times in they fought in the rear is if they were on elevated ground, so they could see who they were shooting. They also didn't fire in volleys, when they saw an opportunity they took it. During the 100 years war, English peasants were ordered by law to begin training with the longbow beginning in childhood, that fact alone should tell you that during battle they were doing something more simple than pointing their arrows at an incline and all shooting at once when told.
>>
>>24452763

Yeah, I'd agree that some of the silly shit was just that, silly. But he does at least make a strong argument for the idea of being able to loose several arrows quickly.

Volley shooting isn't any good after the infantry engage, then being able to sight, aim, and pick off a target at speed has some legitimate value.

I'd be interested to see him combine distance standing shooting with his speed techniques.

And they can laugh at him all they want, he split an incoming arrow in two. He clearly has some fucking skill.
>>
>>24452796
Right, I completely agree. But my points about archers having soldiers in front of them was just that, if they were charged the archers didn't just stand there like deer and take a sword charge. They fell back from the front and let the footmen do their job. Ideally an archer doesn't partake in close combat, and the point was if he did, he didn't use his bow shooting from 5 feet, he clubbed the bastard and used a sword or axe or knife or whatever he had that didn't involved have to try and "rapid shoot".
>>
File: delicious pasta.png (26KB, 870x244px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
delicious pasta.png
26KB, 870x244px
which one of you faggots posted this? freaking gold, and copy pasta worthy

"Hey guys, Redditor checking in! (I announce I'm from Reddit so you know that I'm knowledgeable about the topic) As an archery and sword fighting expert, I can assure you that I would slay this man with one fell swoop of my katana. This guy is just like some child running around in the backyard with his toy plastic archery set from the dollar mart. For the redditors and more intelligent people here (synonyms, really, but i digress), this man's character can be portrayed with a Reddit™ Meme™ known as Annoying Childhood Friend™.

Top text: Gets a cheap bow an arrow
Bottom text: Brags that he has rediscovered the old art of archery and gets on the History Channel.

If you didn't understand this meme properly, you can sign up for Reddit and go to /r/AdviceAnimals to learn more!"
>>
>>24452886

>freaking gold, and copy pasta worthy

That's because it is copy pasta you twit.

People have been going to videos posted on reddit and posting shit like that for months.

The basic format is the same, and they just tailor it to fit the context of the video.
>>
>>24452899
whats the original pasta?
>>
>>24452638
Proven to be a gimmick on youtube by several accounts.
>>
>>24452920

No idea. I've just been seeing it and other similar things posted on youtube videos for at least a month now. Sometimes a half dozen of them to a video.
>>
>>24452721
> I read a book that said so
>doesn't reference book
>doesnt quote book
>literally says a bunch of shit and validates it by saying "books"
no.
If he can name a book, cite a passage and quote the relevant bit that proves his point I'll pay more attention.
>>
>>24453133
Lol based retard watch the video again.
>>
>>24452796
>During the 100 years war, English peasants were ordered by law to begin training
2 hours every sunday after church with the longbow from 16/18 years up
>>
>>24453139
wow, you sure showed me
>>
>>24451510
whether it's completely historically accurate or not, it's still cool as fuck.

And as someone who enjoys shooting traditional bows, I wish i could do even a small percentage of the shit he does.
>>
>>24451824
Jerry from a thousand yards with a 9mm
>>
>>24452086
I think this whole way of shooting is meant for horseback.
>>
>>24453144

Also required to own a functioning bow of a certain poundage and a certain number of arrows.
>>
>>24453951
That's because it is. Even his bow is in the same fashion of the smaller horse bows used by sythians, mongols, huns, syrians, etc, etc.
>>
>>24451824
>We got an archer at 1000 yards over there guys, we'll go see if we can hit 'im with this .17 calibre derringer from 60 years ago
>>
If he haven't done it yet, he should try for Guinness records and all that.
>>
>>24451794
>No one ever rode across the steppes on horses shooting arrows.
>>
>>24452086

Aaaaaand horse archers using small recurved bows came damned close to conquering the entire known world...
>>
Being able to shoot fast and without any power is not exactly the traditional historical way.
>>
>>24454502
Which I specifically mentioned.

The video implied that modern archery isn't historically accurate due to the fact that they are standing still. Which, combined with the video itself, implies that archers ran around the battlefield on foot, shooting at bad guys while they were moving. Which resulted in the question.
>>
>>24452034
No, I've never strung a bow from another bow and released it. Do you mean loosed an arrow?
>>
I think the purpose with shooting fast with arrow was to create panic and hinder the opponent formation rank.

You can't really think when this asshole shoot 20 arrows at you in short amount of time.
>>
>>24451510

it's hilarious that he is so accurate and dexterous with a bow because he is a huge awkwardly moving faggot. do you see how he jumps and moves? it's so bad.

but his skill is undeniable. and his bow is strong enough to penetrate chainmail at whatever distance he was shooting in the video.

obviously he could not to the same with a super heavy draw weight bow. but he is not showcasing the skills of an english longbowman.

given his lack of athleticism i bet if you threw him back 2000 years he'd be a middling archer. it'd be freaky to see what a professional life-long mongol horse archer could do.
>>
>>24451510
that's fucking impressive. grabbing an arrow and firing it while jumping. i'd pay upwards of $20 to see a show of him
>>
>>24451510

I was laughing at him until he caught an arrow shot at him.
He's a total sperglord, but he's not embarrassing himself
>>
>>24452086
if you're on a battlefield, and everyone else is moving around, and you're getting shot at, would you stay still?
>>
Was there a significant difference in the styles of archery used by Middle Eastern/Asian archers and European ones?
>>
File: faggot.jpg (839KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
faggot.jpg
839KB, 2048x1152px
>>24452721
Exactly. For all we know, those paintings were by artists. AKA, the people who aren't good at anything technical.

What we are seeing is the equivalent as the portrayal of guns with current artists.

Look at pic related, imagine you are alive in the year 3000, and that the pic related is how you got your idea about our weapons and techniques.
>>
>>24452379

He literally shot a moving arrow out of the sky. That's anime splitting-a-bullet ninja shit IRL. Fuck your "groups"
>>
>>24455477

>we don't know what actually happened
>this guy's an idiot, *I* know what actually happened as he's got it wrong

Bruh
>>
>>24455267

Very, a lot, so much.

Europeans uses index and middle finger draw from the left, hence the famous English insult of V sign. Europeans also draw back from an extended bow arm.

Asia use thumb draw from the right. Mongols are famous for this and their speed. Asian draw their bow from the top and extending both the bow and draw hand, most likely due to horse archery influence.

Not to sound like a weeaboo, but Asian variety of bows are better because of the recurve design. Even their giant bows, ie Japanese Dai Kyu Yumi shoot longer and heavier arrows at the same draw weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir5GKAQG14g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrOIQRnKcnc

Tested by the English Master of Weapons guy. I don't think he's a weeaboo.
>>
>>24455833
>someone who can't understand a comparison

There is no reason to believe anything they said is true, without actual proof.
>>
>>24452168
Lars Andersen pls
>>
>>24451510
after watching this i wonder if maxpayne style shooting is possible with 10 years of practice
>>
>>24451510
No thanks
Bowfags are even more annoying than that faggot TheRussian
>>
>>24451565
Did you not watch the video? it talks about how his bow could still penetrate armor and dispels the myth that archers need to be used at long range.
>>
>>24455998

So you're comparing a known to an unknown? And you don't see anything wrong with that?

"This is the equivalent"

Just stop.
>>
>>24456112
No, I'm saying there is no reason to ever consider written word or drawing as fact. Either video, or physical.

>inb4 hurrdurr they didn't have cams back then

Exactly.
>>
>>24451510
With the pathetic poundage of these bows this super sekrit bowjitsu could be defeated by a gambeson. A malnourished peasant would rape this guy's face with some regional farming tool.
>>
File: T60.5Satyros.jpg (33KB, 380x478px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
T60.5Satyros.jpg
33KB, 380x478px
>>24455477
B-but muh vase paintings.
>>
>>24456201

Woosh
>>
>>24451891
>Horizon riser

Hoyt is good, just avoid the Formula series if you're starting out. They use special snowflake limbs.
>>
>>24456223
Watch the video then try again. He pierces Gambeson under chainmail with rapid shots.

Short bow does not mean shit bow
Not Built like a brick shithouse does not mean weak as a bean
>>
>>24451510
>160 posts / 67 posters
OP confirmed for being the only samefag defending this bunny hop weeaboo shit
Really though its just trick shooting mized with close combat archery that stopped being practical centuries ago. It wasnt "forgotten" it was just made obsolete.
Does the guy have skill? Absolutely. But so did rainman.
My real beef is him acting like ANY other form of archery is wrong.
>>
>>24452092
is that a plumb weight as an arrow head?
>>
>>24456487
That chain mail looks like dry brushed wool.
>>
>>24456514
>My real beef is him acting like ANY other form of archery is wrong.

This was my take also.
>>
>>24456514
Not op here
Obsolete and forgotten are seperate, the fact so many are in here saying it's BS and impossibru is the exact difference.
Chances are he's not intending to come across as "ANY" archery is wrong, more he's likely been told what he's doing is wrong dozens if not hundreds of times he'll be happy to have some proof that it's viable
>>
>>24456487
>>24456553
Also, it doesn't look like it penetrates. You can see the black arrow head, but part of that is probably because his dummy is wood.

TL;DR:

I doubt that his armor is indeed armor, and his "test" is piteously flawed.
>>
>>24456586
Viable for what? I just skimmed the video and what I gleaned was:

>super sentai bowfu
>Matrix runs along walls
>Some video of legolas
>Quivers are dumb because you can't run full tilt through dense woods
>Everyone but me is wrong and here's some pictures from google images of half a dozen different archers from as many different cultures that all used bows differently to prove it

If this had been a scholarly discussion where he lays out his research we wouldn't be pointing and laughing this hard. This is like one of those Ultimate Ninja Warrior books you see in the Martial Arts/Other section of the book store. Or deadliest Warrior. Yeah, this guy would be a great guest on that show.
>>
>>24456599
Just going to point to 4:36 where you can clearly see full penetration of both the Mail and the Gambeson to a point where only the arrows shaft is visible
this is a pair of 5 minute videos however, to verify the reliability a longer documentry would be nice
however you are correct that this is crazy bunny hop, but that trying to illustrate that the Static archer is not necessarily correct.
>>
>>24456514
>My real beef is him acting like ANY other form of archery is wrong.
This.
I will be more than willing to admit that this guy is good. Scary good in fact. But that's due more to the fact that he trained his ass off than that he found out the soopar sekrit lost bowjutsu technique of nocking your arrow on the right side of your bow.
>>
>>24456644
Your working on the assumption that he hasn't done scholarly discourse and research.

The video looks ninja warrior because the 5 minute documentary is meant to look sensational, The fact remains He can loose Arrows twice as fast as his contemporaries and can make shots that conventional bow knowledge would deem impossible
>>
>>24456713
And it's not like there isn't a good reason to nock on the left, like, say, the standard draw technique for English archers rolling the string to the left...
>>
>>24456682
That's the bit I'm drawing my conclusions from. I have no idea how much if any of that is a legitimate test. I find it hard to believe that his technique magically makes a weak bow able to defeat armor specifically designed to protect against arrows on the battlefield.

I'm inclined instead to think that:
A. His chain mail is possibly wool painted to look like chain mail
B. His gambeson is not constructed correctly, or from the proper materials
C. Wood is not ballistic gell, and is a poor human body simulator
D. And finally I doubt that it even penetrated enough to cause death or even serious wounding, anyway. Not that it's possible for you or me to know since this test was such a crock of shit.
>>
>>24456728
>Your working on the assumption that he hasn't done scholarly discourse and research.

My what?

But yes I am, because that's not what he posted.
>>
>>24456713
>>24456571
>>24456514
Any of you care to point me to a source of Him saying that any other archery is wrong? Because as far as I saw He never spoke and the only time a statement like that was made it was quoting a book on Saracen Archery.
>>
>>24456810
Ok, You're. Can we not start being petty grammar Nazi's if we have nothing to really add

>>24456764
Thankyou I legitimately didn't know that one, Judging from the sources purported to in the videos this technique seems to be base more in the east, what are the major construction differences over there? is it possible / likely that their bows where rolled the other hand?
>>
>>24456874
Your post didn't leave me with much to reply to. Do you have any links to his extensive research? That would be more interesting than watching a doughy white guy try to be legloas.
>>
>>24456831
Not specifically, no. But it was definitely implied.

If he had just wanted to show off his skills, he would have done so. "Hey, look how good I am. I can shoot arrows out of the air. Also, I use a different technique than most people, but whatever"

Instead, it was "Hey, look at all the things I do differently because of muh historical accuracy. Now here's video of me doing cool things while some guy talks over me about historical accuracy."
>>
>>24456831
Around the 1:45 mark he really starts shitting on what he calls modern archery.
>>
>>24456874
http://www.primitiveways.com/archer%27s_thumb_ring.html
You are spot on, in most eastern techniques they use a ring release, which is closer to a mechanical release in technique. In Japan the technique is to actually grip the sides of the arrow on both sides.
>>
>>24456921
That's actually my interest in this thread I'm here after seeing the 1st video trying to
A. Google
B check the thread for legit responses
as most people are just looking and taking dramatic leaps based on the tone of the clip, rather than wanting to actually know more.

The latest threats etc have been fired up since the start of the month but Google has turned up old threads on some forums 3 years ago discussing whether or not the idea could be done.
>>
>>24456968
Even the website is primitive
>>
>>24456985
Well if you find something, post it. The video in the OP is pure drek. I compared it earlier in the thread to Deadliest Warrior, it's that bad. Skip to around 5:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkygeRj2ehQ

Yeeeeeah.
>>
2 links I've found that both say fairly similar things
http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2013/07/08/lars-andersen-artist-historian-and-amazing-archer/
and
http://www.odditycentral.com/news/real-life-legolas-uses-ancient-techniques-to-shoot-arrows-even-faster-than-tolkiens-elven-archer.html
Nothing historical yet but I am approaching this as a layman so i'm not sure what results to narrow down.

He's so far done at leasts 2 things that conventional archery Claimed was Impossible. The Saracen 3 arrows in 1.5 seconds and the Legend of Hiawatha Loosing 10 arrows before the 1st lands, that incidentally is the world record he holds with 11 before the 1st lands.

1 alludes to a Friend of his who researched "War Archery" but doesn't give a name
>>
>>24452763

Why is technique in quotes? Are you disputing the fact that it's a technique or what?
>>
>>24451510
>why has it been forgotten today?

Guns?
>>
>>24451510
lol max attack speed items
>>
>>24457266
That's still at the Ripley's Believe It or Not level. One of those article mentions that he's a historian, I want to see a lecture or essay from this guy.
>>
>>24457421
Skill Speed doesn't get you that much dps.
>>
>>24457266
I've found His youtube channel with his record
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKY9FpRGyJI

There are less videos but you can see some of the videos are from several years ago when he was just learning the idea of the technique.

It seems like the idea came to him while watching archers currently and then invented this way of shooting and then has found there are several eastern sources that show techniques that are similar. He at no point says this is definitely how they shot and states that he is still trying to learn more himself
>>
>>24457456
He's originally an artist, the historical research came after he started archery
>>
>>24457543
Also the Bow He shoots with is 35lb draw weight, noticeably lower than War bows but his physical strength is not that high compared to what one would have expected a fighter of the time to have
>>
>>24457543
>>24457574
Well, that's better. I wish the OP's video was less "muh anceint ninjitsu sekrits" and more "hey, look at this neat thing I do in my spare time.

I'm pretty impressed by the actual skill, like I am by parkour or people who shoot in open divisions with race guns. I just don't see the real world application. I don't think real skirmishers in the ancient world would take those kinds of insane risks.
>>
>>24457672
I think part of the problem is that the original video makes the mistake of assuming fast mounted archery is what was useful everywhere, even though historical evidence points to Western Europe going almost exclusively to either crossbows for armor penetration, or the English longbow for heavy arrow artillery.
>>
>>24456470
>was literally going to buy formula limbs today
\thank you anon.
Thank you very much.
>>
File: epic.png (210KB, 1600x1558px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
epic.png
210KB, 1600x1558px
>awake for two days
>Read this thread before going to bed
>Fall asleep
>Dream about running around a huge battlefield of middle aged crusader armor humans and wizards fighting demons and zombies while I shoot shit with a bow like in the video
>All this while Moots voice gently talks to me from the Q&A

That was one cool dream.
>>
File: Jerry-Miculek.jpg (86KB, 702x679px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Jerry-Miculek.jpg
86KB, 702x679px
>>24454115
> BANZAAAAI
> HOHOOOO
> GET SOME

> Well let's see what we got here on the timer, i'd say that's a .56 for the first shot and a .14 for the second.
> First one got him a bit high, but the second one i'm quite pleased with
>>
>>24451943
Some people actually shoot their guns
>>
Niggas what are you all complaining about?
HE FUCKING 360 NO-SCOPED AN ARROW IN FLIGHT AND SPLIT IT IN TWO! That's takes some serious shit to do!

Holding arrows in your draw hand is also OBVIOUSLY SUPERIOR to using a quiver. I literally cannot imagine a scenario where using a quiver is better, so at the very least any of you who practice archery should try it out.
The technique of holding the arrow on the outside of the bow reminds me of a thumb draw, and no one doubts that works well.


What we need is some peer review. Keyword being PEER. If you practice archery, or know someone who does, try out the techniques and make a video. Even someone who doesn't practice for as long as he did could probably make SOME comments about it's usefulness.
>>
>>24460535
>That's takes some serious shit to do!
No one is saying that's not impressive

>I literally cannot imagine a scenario where using a quiver is better
any time you need more than 3 arrows?

The problem we have with him is that he's acting like it's the only way anyone should use a bow and is slandering other methods because they don't suit his legolas bullshit.
>>
File: blog_egyptian.jpg (96KB, 325x382px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
blog_egyptian.jpg
96KB, 325x382px
From studying old pictures of people I discovered that some historical people moved their limbs like this. This means that you can walk like an egyptian. Which is both hipper, and better.
>>
>>24460548
What other methods?
Here is what he's doing, broken into self-contained pieces:
>holding arrows in the draw hand
Point: Reduces the need to reach for the quiver, which is good from a standpoint of speed, while also being good for stealth (less movement) and for accuracy (less reason to look away from your target)
Counterpoint: It's hard to do it? He says he spent years perfecting it, so presumably it's not something you can just pick up instantly.

>drawing arrows on the outside of the bow
Point: Reduces the number of motions required to loose an arrow, resulting in a simpler, faster draw. You're less likely to fumble an arrow because you never have to let go of it, and the motion is simpler and easier.
Counterpoint: the arrow lacks stability and has to be braced against the thumb on the opposite hand to stay in place. This could theoretically be fixed by switching to a thumb draw, but that may be incompatible with holding arrows in the draw hand.

>drawing and loosing in one motion
Point: This is instinct shooting, used by many archers today, though not a majority by far. It revolves around the concept of aiming-without-aiming, just like how you'd throw a ball or a rock.
Counterpoint: It's extremely difficult to train yourself for instinct shooting and requires constant practice to maintain.


3 isn't in contention as it's a widespread technique used in the modern day, 1 is dead practical for anyone who bothers putting the time in to get good at it, and 2 is a modification to a standard draw in order to loose arrows faster.

He's not saying he's fucking Apollo, he's saying that the style he's recreating lets you shoot really fast, and that combined with instinct shooting lets you hit targets at middling distances rapidly with high accuracy, which is decidedly NOT what people think when they think about ancient archery.
>>
>>24460548

>Most modern archers are only passably accurate standing still
>This guy is accurate with multiple arrows while flipping through the fucking air

I think he has every right to talk shit about everyone else, none of whom are as accurate as he is even standing still.

Simply put, he makes modern archers look like rank amateurs the same way competitive quick shots make most people's draw and fire drills look pathetic.

tl;dr He can back up his shit talking. Get over it.
>>
>>24451510
That guy is the greatest archer any of us will ever see. Maybe the last one ever
>>
>>24451510
cool that he can do that

that how i do when i longboard past all those pleb drivers
>>
he shot through an arrow being shot at him by another person literally beating the fucking robin hoods trick
disregard how useful or not he would be on a medieval battlefield, you can't fucking deny his insane skill
>>
>>24451822
Try 100-130
Totally agree though that video is bullshit
>>
>>24452004
Please trip so we can filter you this trollin is only making you look like a retard
>>
Even though its impressive, it is completely useless for any kind of modern bow use.
Also following what medieval drawings depict isnt concrete evidence. The artists are known to have no clue what they are on about and draw shit to make it look good.
>>
>>24460670
Just.. please go
>>
>>24460640
>makes modern archers look like rank amateurs
Id like to see what kind of groupings he could get at 40, 60 and 100 meters. All of his shots in that video are under 15m. I doubt it would be anywhere near what a modern archer would get.
>>
>>24451510
Motherfucking nigga at 1:40 with the watermelon bow
>>
>>24452215
In the video it shows him penetrating mail.
>>
>>24451960
>that pic

Is it a medieval version of "It's ok, only 9mm lol" ?
>>
>>24460820
This.
>>
>>24461019
european armor around the 1000-1200 timeframe was fairly resistant most arrows. there's accounts during the crusades of european knights looking like porcupines while fighting because of all the arrows stuck in them

later on more powerful bows like the longbow pierced armor, so armor techniques had to change from padding and chainmail to heavier plates and such
>>
>>24460957

>I bet he's not as good at long range

I'm sure its irrelevant, as the point is battle archery. His ability to fire into a clump of a thousand men as they charge is probably just as identical as anyone else's. Even assuming he isn't accurate at long range, he doesn't need to be.

So, even assuming you're perfectly correct:

>Modern archer can shoot gnat's ass at long rnage
>Irrelevant for firing into groups of enemy soldiers
>Inaccurate at close range, thus making them useless beyond opening volleys

>Ancient archer inaccurate at long range
>Irrelevant for firing into groups of enemy soldiers
>Accurate at short range, thus making them a formidable foe in close quarters

Long range archers and short range archers are near identical in volley fire. Long range archers get BTFO in short range combat while short range archers do not.

+1 Crazy Dutch guy
>>
>>24461019
Yes. Armored men didn't give two shits about armor.

>>24461583
The longbow isn't any stronger than composite bows, anon.
>>
>>24462735
Where in the FUCK are you getting this from?


>Modern archer can shoot gnat's ass at long rnage
>Irrelevant for firing into groups of enemy soldiers
>Inaccurate at close range, thus making them useless beyond opening volleys
At close range, I used to be able to stack arrows on top of each other. Try again.


>Accurate at short range, thus making them a formidable foe in close quarters
Archers got fucking crushed when forced into close range all through history. There isn't a single example of archers in the open devastating a foe close up, aside from a few cases where they went to swords and outfought an attacker. It was well understood that they were dead if they got caught in melee.
>>
>>24451510

He's got a lot of trick shots and is using lighter bows, but at the core he's right.

Shooting with the arrow on the farside of the bow rather than the nearside like all modern compound bows are designed to do is superior if the objective is releasing arrows faster.

Quivers were common, though made differently than seen in the video. However it was also common to have multiple arrows in hand rather than reaching behind you for each shot.

It would naturally be an initial "arrows in hand" technique to first have the extra arrows in the hand that holds the actual bow, having the full benefit of your right hand to pull the string with just one arrow, and then for persons more advanced to have multiple arrows laced in the fingers of the hand pulling the string.

What's yet to be seen is how fast can he shoot with a bow with real torque needed.
>>
>>24451510
This confirms what I've always believed about archery fags. Giant fucking fedora tippers.
>>
>>24462825
>Quivers were common, though made differently than seen in the video. However it was also common to have multiple arrows in hand rather than reaching behind you for each shot.
Quivers were worn sling across the hips. Which, incidentally, makes for a much fatser draw.

There's also the simple fact that byzantine manuals speak of the importance of speed in shaking arrows loose from the quiver-meaning the ONLY professional soldiers using bows in Europe for several centuries weren't holding arrows in their hand.
>>
>>24462777

>I sure hope these angry men with swords will let me stand still and 'stack arrows on top of each other.'
>>
>>24462825

>when real torque is needed
>shoots through chainmail and gambeson on a perpendicularly moving target
>>
>>24451661
>The implication is that the only reason he can do all those fancy tricks is because he used some soopar sekrit bowl it's technique passed down from generation to generation
Are you a functional illiterate or just an american? Lars studied old manuals, you ass hat!
>>
>>24463343
Fantastic fucking manual.
>I never would have guess that I could put the arrow on the OTHER side of the bow. A++++++ would buy again
>>
>>24451626
Narrated by HAL-9000!!!!!
>>
With such light draw weight, it'll barely scratch ANSI rated safety glasses. I mean he's using foam targets everywhere and shot chain mail off screen.

Anyone with basic archery or common sense would figure this out.
>>
>>24452886
>freaking
>>
>>24451510
draw weight has to be like 20 pounds with that bow. Let see him use a 100 pound English Longbow or a Japanese Yumi bow.
>>
>>24456529

Its a drill core.
>>
>>24463517

>like 20 pounds
we don't know but composite Asian bows have a much more smooth draw.

yes make him shoot an inferior type of bow and never use a superior bow like mongol or Asian composites. HHHUUURRRDUUUURR
>>
>>24462777
>Archers got fucking crushed when forced into close range all through history.
This almost all medieval european stuff you are thinking about.
Think about steppe horse archers and pre-genpei war ancient Japan.
>>24463517
>muh draw weight
Rate of fire would decrease but his point still stands. Interestingly Kyudo uses the arrow on the right side and a spare arrow in the hand.
Coincidence? I think not...
>>
>>24463594
>Think about steppe horse archers and pre-genpei war ancient Japan.
Steppe archers fared very, very fucking poorly in close range combat against everyone who wasn't also a steppe nomad. The Byzantines in particular defeated them by either a: outshooting them by wearing armor to reduce attrition
or
B: Spears at close range.


>>24463582
You do realize they hit with more or less the same amount of force, right? The advantage of a composite bow is in the ability to use it o horseback.
>>
>>24463773
>Steppe archers fared very, very fucking poorly
Like the mongols.
>>
>>24451700
as an archer i found it impractical and silly. Even for medieval times that would be useless. unless you were a small force of scouts, in which you would be trained to that degree.

Historically, that was pretty cool education wise.


Though im still in love with my jennings compound bow.

>>24451710
try something that isnt shit.
>>
>>24452092
1. rambo is just a movie.
2. thats guerrilla warfare in dense jungles, anything can be used to kill bitches.
3. You dont see Rambo pulling that faggotry in the op vid do you?
>>
i got a question:

why not have the arrows hanging off you left hand or the left side of the bow that way you dont have to learn to place the arrow on the right and aim that way but can shoot normally with one motion?

Loose an arrow, go to pull the bow string back, little gizmo on your right forearm holds the arrows, grab one and pull back in one motion, and loose another.
you can still run and move with it and dont have to learn that other garbage.
And works with compounds.
Hell, may work BETTER with compounds.
>>
>>24463924
mongols were bitches who fought the shittiest of the shitties and used a fuck ton of horse archers.

When shit came to in non flat lands, cross bows, long bows, fortresses, heavy armor, ect mongols did jack shit.
Check out the second mongol invasion, barely did shit after the east euros figured their faggotry out.
>>
File: 1389284111745.png (213KB, 500x382px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1389284111745.png
213KB, 500x382px
>Guy researches ancient archery techniques
>/k/ screams the research was shit
>Uses techniques he says he learned in order to shoot faster
>/k/ screams there isn't enough penetration and the bow isn't "good enough"
>Video shows him shooting through chainmail and shooting at distance

I know it looks stupid and autistic as fuck but there is clear video evidence that even if the research was dodgy, it's some effective technique. If I had a smaller bow with a weaker draw I might try it myself.
>>
>>24463517
>20 pounds with that bow
>Shoots through chainmail and gambeson
>>
>>24451510
The problem I have with this, is that when he's doing his ninja hollywood shit he's not even close to fully drawing the bow. The draw weight on that thing cannot be any more than 30 or 35lbs, and halfway drawing a 35lb bow would do almost no significant damage unless he was reallllly close to his target.

Also pissed me off when the video claimed modern archers only shoot with one eye, when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Still his nock/draw speed is impressive, especially when he picks a single arrow up and gets that shit on instantly. His fast shooting is also pretty crazy since he almost gets a full draw every time. Cant say much about his accuracy when it's all recorded, but if it didn't take him a ton of tries to do some of that shit, I'm jelly.

It's just that damn ninja shit... almost everything else was really cool.

>>24462911
When he's shooting through the chainmail, he's getting a full draw or very close to it, changing how he shoots. He doesn't shoot the same way for every scene in the vid, which is actually pretty damn impressive.
>>
>>24461002
He doesn't draw fully when he does his speed shooting schtick.
>>
>>24465877
Sometimes he goes halfway or a little less, other times he goes 3/4 of the way or a little less. It depends on what he's trying to shoot, and how fast. Obviously his slower barrages are when he draws deeper, and when he speeds it up really quick he goes half or less.
>>
>>24453133
Maybe if you want to know what books he read you should ask him instead of expecting him to spell out every reference and page number like to some mongoloid which you are. Its a youtube video not a research paper.
>>
>>24451626
Shooting through chainmail is nothing, especially because chainmail isn't made to stop arrows.
>>
>>24466081
Especially crappy butted mail.
>>
>>24451711
Or perhaps, you know, the horseback archers and chariot archers who wanted to throw down as much lead as possible before hitting enemy ranks?

Please report to Pharaoh immediately for reeducation.
>>
>>24452452
>Exactly, but browse the thread and half the fags are saying "muh longbows, muh penetration, muh formations".
Holy shit. It's literally 12th century /k/ up in har.
>>
>>24463393
>I never would have guess that I could put the arrow on the OTHER side of the bow. A++++++ would buy again
Tell that to all people who have been archery wrong for centuries.
>>
>>24452468
I'd say a few ancient paintings and books takes precedence over some fag on 4chan by a long-shot.
>>
File: Mongol.Conquest.png (741KB, 600x250px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Mongol.Conquest.png
741KB, 600x250px
>>24464286

What is Song Dynasty and the fortification of China? They all got BTFO by the Mongols. Mongols being shit at besieging is a shit tier misconception.
>>
>>24451661
>The implication is that the only reason he can do all those fancy tricks is because he used some soopar sekrit bowl it's technique passed down from generation to generation.

OP didn't imply that at all, stop being retarded. He's amazingly skilled and gets even better results because of the technique, because that has to be written for you, again.

>Both are things that aren't exactly special.

They are very special if the video is correct in claiming these methods were overlooked historically.
>>
>>24452161
underrated post.
INB4 all bows become NFA items.
>>
>>24451695
>combat archery at all
>in 2015

God it's almost if he would have to have meant before firearms existed.

>no one ever used bows for close combat like ever.

And maybe this was an assumption based off the belief it was impractical, which is clearly false now.
>>
>>24451700
>As an archer this made me cringe, hard

Because this guy made you look like the weekend warrior that you are? You are the airshitter of archery.
>>
>>24451510
>Shot an arrow down the middle out of the air

I don't care if his archery is better or lesser than traditional, that's fucking impressive.
>>
>>24466782
No bows troll detected. Opinion discarded.
>>
>>24451794
>The biggest problem is that holding the arrows in your hand in a combat situation is entirely impractical. You're an archer, you're sitting back behind lines with the protection of your foot soldiers in front of you. You don't place down rapid shots, holding the arrows just makes things harder. Your arrows are stuck in the ground at your feet or in your quiver, and you release in a volley as ordered, until you're given a release at will command at which point you pick your own targets. You don't trying to fire off as many shots a second as you can. Arrows take time and money to make, you don't have an unlimited supply, you'd run out of arrows and your buddy Lewis the Third won't share any of his because the commander also only gave him a set amount. Arrows had to stretch across the time frame of a battle, not just 5 minutes.

Thank god an expert has arrived.

This is practiced by hardly anyone in the modern world, you have never learned the skill, and yet you know enough about it to explain why "it can't work".

It's historically accounted for, it was practiced technique.
>>
>>24452388
>You do realize that for the majority of history, up till the end of the bronze age, all foot soldiers were archers as well?

Every muhrine is a rifleman

muh heritage
>>
Why is this only a big deal now? This guy has been making videos for years.
>>
>>24466936
He's been forcing himself forever, surprised it took him this long to get popular

I just wish a stronger person would do it so we could see it done with a bow that could actually kill people beyond 10 yards
>>
>>24453133
>If he can name a book, cite a passage and quote the relevant bit that proves his point I'll pay more attention.

Arguing with anons aside, he's not making a historical claim for peer review. He just taught himself something he read about, demonstrated it, glossed over where he got it from, and claimed modern conceptions of archery are based off of a modern sport and contradict what current practitioners conceive to be possible.

Not exactly an asshole spreading misinformation. If I remember right he didn't even claim how or when real archers did this, just that they could.
>>
>>24466974
>beyond 10 yards
check the video at 3:13
>>
>>24455477
>Exactly. For all we know, those paintings were by artists. AKA, the people who aren't good at anything technical.

This is a good point, but artists weren't deviant art non-conformists back then.
>>
>>24451794
This post is so absurdly retarded.

>Automatic weapons are useless because in war you must stand in formation and fire in volleys!

Fucking brits and their abnormal fetish for being a large, immobile target with no cover.
>>
>>24467088
I've just been reading this argument, but

>comparing automatic weapons to bow and arrows
you fucked up
>>
>>24467033
I was talking about his realllly fast shooting technique

At that part his style is different. He draws much further and shoots slower, while also using what looks like a heavier draw weight bow. That's not what I'm talking about. Still, what he did there was impressive from an accuracy point.
>>
>>24467088
>Fucking brits and their abnormal fetish for being a large, immobile target with no cover.
Agincourt.
Crécy
>>
>>24466656
>They are very special if the video is correct in claiming these methods were overlooked historically.

It's not

Different techniques were used at different places and times for different reasons. Mongol horse archer held their arrows in their hands and placed the arrow on the right side because they needed the speed it provided. They didn't do this in medieval europe but that doesn't make them wrong, they simply favored power of speed and used their extra fingers for drawing the bowstring instead of holding arrows. They weren't riding a horse so they could just stick the arrows in the ground next to them anyway. Them placing the arrow on the other side was a result of it being more accurate when using the 3 finger draw instead of your thumb, due to the way the bowstring rolls.

The techniques in the video aren't anything special they are just different from european style, but european styles are different for a reason.
>>
People are acting like the only time a bow ever killed someone was in a war formation.

Are you telling me a guardsmen never killed someone running away with a bow? Bandits never ambushed people? A bow was never used in self defense?

All of you just need to go fuck yourselves
>>
File: 1405836168675.jpg (27KB, 310x235px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1405836168675.jpg
27KB, 310x235px
>>24466812
"HE DOESN'T AGREE WITH ME, IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE IGNOOORE"
>>
>>24454868
If a cloud of hate made out of steel and wood from a formation of men twenty long and four deep was coming at me, I don't think moving would help me too much. Especially if I were stuck in the middle of another formation of men.
>>
>>24451510
posts greatest archer....
>posting anyone other than Howard Hill.
>>
>>24451663
>you don't NEED to fire 10 arrows in 5 seconds

>ban assault bows
>>
>>24466424
But does it take preference over what that faggot knows?
Especially when what that faggot knows is certain truth.

>>24467014
He said modern archery is a bastardisation and acted like he had the real deal.
From this thread it's made pretty clear that his method, while impressive, is not the real deal.
>>
>>24467506
>primary sources from hundreds to thousands of years ago
>random anon
I think I know which one is probably more reliable...
Also, when did OP ever say modern archery is a bastardization (which, as we can see from older manuals, paintings and all other evidence, it is.)?
>>
>>24460548
"Placing the quiver in the belt solved most problems, and if the archer is horseback, the quiver could be placed on the horse in front of the rider. These methods were the most common ways to use a quiver."
Taken directly from the video description. He's not suggesting that not using a quiver is a good idea.
>>
>>24467088
No to put it in your context he's saying automatic weapons are impractical if you have little ammunition to spare.
>>
The guy is definitely good but is everyone going to ignore the fact that he looks and acts autistic? I'm honestly not trying to be mean either. He has autistic features and just study his movements. The way he freezes for 5 seconds after a shot makes me think he is autistic.
>>
>>24455477
The glory of this is the gun gets more and more retarded and absurd the longer that you look at ot
>>
For those claiming that the historical precedent for this isn't legitimate, look up Kyudo. Japanese have literally been teaching people to hold their arrows in their hand and place them on the opposite side of the bow all along, and still do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z4aa5gdMUc

Vid related, Kyudo practitioner doing the exact same thing in a video years before Lars' first video.

It's worth mention that the japanese use fuckhuge asymmetrical bows so the "HURR DURR IT'S USELESS WITH LONGBOWS" argument is false.

If anything the real crime here is this European guy ripping off based Nips and claiming this as his own discovery.
>>
>>24468772
Kyudo is also a cavalry technique, and the bows are assymetrical because they didn't have the right materials to make laminate composite bows like the mongols did, so they made huge bows nocked low enough and tillered to fire from a horse.

Which still doesn't mean jack shit for the longbow argument, because those are still significantly heavier bows meant to be fired from formations.
>>
>>24468918
>and the bows are assymetrical because they didn't have the right materials to make laminate composite bows like the mongols did, so they made huge bows nocked low enough and tillered to fire from a horse.
Regardless of their reasons, they're still huge bows with comparably huge draw and an overall superior design to medieval longbows. They don't suddenly become shortbows because they were used on horseback.

>Which still doesn't mean jack shit for the longbow argument, because those are still significantly heavier bows meant to be fired from formations.
You literally just said in your post that Kyudo was used for cavalry.
>>
>>24469122
>they're still huge bows with comparably huge draw
>Kyudo maxes around 66# draw
>English longbows have been recovered at an estimated 180# max

Two very different styles of archery, for different styles of warfare. Period.
>>
>>24457266
https://pgmagirlscouts.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/saracen_archery.pdf
This is the book that he is referencing I believe that is so hard for /k/ to find

Always traditional archers shitting on someone who does something they would struggle with. Yeah, the jumping and such is unnecessary and it seems a bit cringe worthy but he can still outshoot the shit out of most of the people where who are talking all the trash.

>muh longbows
>muh formations
>>
>>24469385
You can get off his dick already, it's not like he's on 4chan.
>>
>>24469429
It seems you can't get off you dick, because you're on 4chan
>>
>>24469429
I just think it's impressive and there's a whole lot of nitpicking and shitflinging when it comes down to it, because people are jealous or think there's only one kind of archery. It's unsightly.
>>
>muh draw strength
It'll still kill you without armor
>>
Any archers here gonna worry now that this dude is trending on youtube and soon there will be millions more of noobs flooding the ranges?

Fuck my life.
>>
>>24469731
Worse, noobs jumping around and spinning in circles.
>>
>>24469586
You watch the video? It penetrated the armor.
>>
>>24451939
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk&feature=player_detailpage&x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688#t=197

it's like you didn't watch the video
>>
File: lol.jpg (74KB, 500x334px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
lol.jpg
74KB, 500x334px
>>24468744

>mfw the AR lower is backwards with the grip coming out of the magwell
>>
>>24470693
>Cops
>Innocent bystanders
>>
>>24451685
> taking time to aim
> Implying you should have time to aim
That was one of the points in the video. He doesn't take the time to aim, he points it and draws in one fluid motion releasing on the same instinct you probably use to click X to select shit on your game controllers.

Granted, some of his shots in the video probably took several takes much like the kid videos of trick sports shots.
>>
>>24456320
>drunken-looking broken spear
>shield is obstructively long
>foreskin pulled upwards towards the heavens by the invisible fingers of Athena
>>
>>24451779
This is a similar distance trick shooting with handguns are done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=channel%3A52f6035a-0-2e7e-9955-20cf301cc1b6&feature=iv&src_vid=3SiCqqeEGIQ&v=x3n_5KBk3cM
>>
File: 1409181552371.png (513KB, 674x745px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1409181552371.png
513KB, 674x745px
>Westerners "discover" an amazing method that revolutionizes archery
>Asians have been doing it for centuries
>>
>>24470957
>Mostly useless in European warfare context
>But makes a great youtube video of a guy who spend a shit-ton of time learning it and likely has freakishly fast reflexes naturally
>implying this kind of thing is new in any way
http://vimeo.com/12097399
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzhs1Z8Rwnk
>>
>>24451794
>what is Mongolian horse archer
>>
>>24471034
>in a european warfare context
>implying european "stand in one big, stationary, easily-targeted block and fire slow volleys" is relevant by any metric

Why do you have such a hard-on for what has been historically proven to be an awful strategy, while moving more and firing more often has been historically proven an effective strategy?
Thread posts: 305
Thread images: 29


[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.