[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, /k/! Curious visitor from /v/. I've been shooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: railtrail2.jpg (39KB, 620x496px) Image search: [Google]
railtrail2.jpg
39KB, 620x496px
Hi, /k/! Curious visitor from /v/.

I've been shooting rail guns since Quake 2, in one form or another; have we advanced enough to have something equivalent in real life weaponry - a magnetic field (or some other solution) that accelerates a projectile to unprecedented velocities and penetration power, regardless of loading times or firing rate (preferably leaving a fancy, instantaneous trail behind)?

If not, why haven't we advanced the more futuristic weapons by now, like the ones that shoot plasma balls or long-distance lasers and such?

Sure, we have super-powerful conventional weapons that propel metal bullets at very high velocities, but those aren't as exciting, are they?
>>
>>23210254
Yeah.

On ships.
>>
>>23210254
>why haven't we advanced the more futuristic weapons by now
Because using gunpowder to shoot metal bits at other people is far more cost-effective.
>>
>>23210254
Energy source.
Railguns require a lot of energy.
Not to mention heat management, those experimental railguns get their barrels ruined after a couple shots.
At that point, its just easier to lob missiles and shells at whatever you want to target.
>>
File: boys10.jpg (116KB, 640x394px) Image search: [Google]
boys10.jpg
116KB, 640x394px
the technology either doesnt exist or isn't practical in a small arms form factor.

>Sure, we have super-powerful conventional weapons that propel metal bullets at very high velocities, but those aren't as exciting, are they?
what are you, some kind of faggot?
>>
>>23210261
Really?
What can they do, what are they used for?
Is it just experimental stuff or real working weapons?
>>
>>23210254
>Sure, we have super-powerful conventional weapons that propel metal bullets at very high velocities, but those aren't as exciting, are they?
Is this nigga serious.
>>
>>23210284

I don't know, the concept of shooting someone from so far away that you don't even have to be in the same neighborhood as them, and with such momentum that winds or body armor become irrelevant, sounds useful.

>>23210290
>faggot
>>23210309
>nigga be crazy

Come on now, I was just flavoring the post.
>>
>>23210261
>>23210254

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/electromagnetic-railgun-launcher/
>>
>>23210254
yeah, but it's a giant ass cannon mounted on nuclear ships.
>>
>>23210254

The size of the battery you would have to carry to have even one shot would be gigantic
>>
>>23208500

nigga we already did this thread
>>
>>23210375
None of the railguns in development are intended for nuclear ships.
>>
>>23210344
>I don't know, the concept of shooting someone from so far away that you don't even have to be in the same neighborhood as them, and with such momentum that winds or body armor become irrelevant, sounds useful.
Which you can do perfectly well with a missile/bullet/whatever the fuck thing that isn't a crazy huge stationary weapon.
>>
Alright, so the main issues (which will likely be a permanent hurdle) are - a) power source practically makes this a huge stationary weapon, b) the forces at work make it impossible to create a stable version, and c) it's not cost-effective compared with existing firearms.

OK then, I'll go back to reliving my dream in Quake Live. Thanks, all.
>>
>>23210254
powerlabs.org
sam barros made a few rail guns, and coil guns, and electrochemical guns, and microwave guns, and a fucking cannon that shoots d-cell batteries at twice the speed of sound.

His more advanced rail gun shot pretty quick, i think it was around the speed of sound, can't be bothered to look it up myself but it was powered by a pretty big bank of capacitors. And it blows itself apart half the time when it fires.
>>
>>23210254
Railguns are a thing, but theyre not man portable
>>
File: railgunside.jpg (180KB, 1000x685px) Image search: [Google]
railgunside.jpg
180KB, 1000x685px
>>23210471
>>
>>23210514
looks like something ratchet would strap to his arm, not sure how he'd recharge those caps though
>>
>>23210442
Energy storage is the big one. We can just store energy with greater density in gunpowder then in a battery, after all.

A solvable problem.

Recoil is the next one. You can just use so much power. A electomotive weapon can more efficiently accelerate a projectile then a chemical weapon due to the smoother, better controlled acceleration and lack of hot gasses ejected, but a human can still deal with only so much recoil. 67 joules of recoil energy is more or less the limit.

So sorry.. a shoulder fired gun that can blow apart a tank with kinetic energy just isn't going to happen.

But you could do a weapon that sends twice the energy of a modern rifle with the same recoil. It's certainly possible.

It won't be cost effective for a long time. The materials tech just isn't there.
>>
>>23210309
>Third guy from the left
>Doesn't flinch a muscle when the guys infront of him get turned to mist

It's like his brain just doesn't care and he's moving that path and that path only.
Not like there's a thing you can do.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.