[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has Nihon ever considered romanization?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

Has Nihon ever considered romanization?
>>
>>12320432
>romanization
gay
>>
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/?????

Since 1869 at least, the conclusion was that it was shit and didn't work.
After WWII the Americans tried to fool the Japanese into thinking that kanji actually stopped literacy but surveys proved that pretty much everyone knew how to read so they stopped pressuring.
>>
File: J150_06.jpg (217KB, 459x637px) Image search: [Google]
J150_06.jpg
217KB, 459x637px
>>12320453
Also even if the Japanese switched to romaji they would now be using the Nihonshiki romanization, not Hepburn's. So, fat chance.
>>
>>12320457
>Mokrok
>Aikoksin

Why would you do that?
>>
>>12320503
The u in ? is almost silent when spoken in the middle of a word. I think it's a natural response because you don't want to waste too much breath pronouncing open vowels.
>>
>>12320453

I'm grateful for the spelling reform, at least.
>>
>>12320432
Has your country considered using kanji?
>>
>>12321762
The appropriate name for those characters is Chinese characters. Kanji is the Japanese name for those characters. If OP was from Vietnam or South Korea, the answer would be yes.

You're probably thinking of kana, which, again, is derived from Chinese characters.
>>
File: 1269678816033.jpg (100KB, 800x782px) Image search: [Google]
1269678816033.jpg
100KB, 800x782px
>>12320432
Have you ever considered f*cking yourself?
>>
>>12320432
The whole kanji and hirigana system was almost scrapped and replaced with romanization. During the Meiji era many scholars tjat had gone to England and other European countries came back insisting that english romantization be fully replace the traditional language and to even have a wide spread interbreeding program with the white Western Europe with Japanese to create a hybred race.

Soon students in certain parts of Japan had only been taught the romantization and could not even read Japanese. The Meiji government thought this was too much and passed stricter education laws that would almost militarize middle schools and high schools while mandating traditional Japanese language be taught. These laws actually pleased the Japanese populaces more since it would preserve Japanese traditions. Despite what the Japanese are taught today, the Meiji era was drought with rebellions, riots, and military scandals that were living conspiracies the majority of people blatantly saw. For the system of Japanese written language to be obliterated would have caused even more public up roar and defacing of Meiji. The original loyalists to the shogunate who managed to adapt to Meiji's new government took up partitions with those they financially backed within the new government to curve the idea of hosting an intermarriage/mating, between whites and japanese, bureaucratic system. The end of this interbreeding government movement was when one of Charles Darwin's partner's suggested that if the Japanese and whites were to come together in nation wide interbreeding than it could result in children that had neither specialized traits the two ethnicity had separately developed. The leason is learn Japanese instead of pushing romantiziation of the language for your silly animus. Baka OP Gaijin!
>>
The Latin alphabet is already retarded in English. Why subject more languages to it?
>>
>>12322967
fucking weeb
>>
Any ghost of a chance glorious Nippon could ever try to follow Korea and switch to kana at least?
>>
>ITT: retards not knowing how ambiguous Japanese text will be without kanji
>>
File: 00589.jpg (32KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
00589.jpg
32KB, 360x240px
>>12324305
Your mother is ambiguous. Tell me you can't understand this sentence without kanji. All that kanji does is speeding up reading comprehension.
>>
>>12323020
that's a problem with english, not the latin letters.
Sucks to not being able to say "r" and "e" properly, eh?
>>
>>12324305

Not as ambiguous when there are spaces, and they could just assign different meanings of homophones to numbers to differentiate them, like shita1 has X meaning and shita2 has Y meaning, still way easier than kanji.
>>
File: hirakana.jpg (481KB, 768x979px) Image search: [Google]
hirakana.jpg
481KB, 768x979px
>>12323518
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/??????
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/?????????????

Again, all of these proposals were put forward and researched exhaustively before you or my grandfather were even born.
The difference is that back then it was a serious debate between Japan-born linguists and intellectuals who knew all too well how their own language worked. One of the major proponents of kanji abolition, Maejima Hisoka, even published a daily newspaper written entirely in hiragana, which ran for about a year from 1873 (with little success, I may add).
Today, it's just a bunch of lazy gaijin neckbeards who keep lamenting about having too much stuff to study, despite being blessed by all kinds of modern electronic tools. No country is going to impoverish one's own language just to appease a nobody like you, remember that.

If you ask me, the reason Japan dodged the bullet unlike Korea and got kept the Chinese character was because of their technological advancement over the rest of the kanji bunkaken. Chinese characters were actually a huge hurdle for the diffusion of the automated printing press and the typewriter, and thus a modernization of society. Japan somehow made it through and was able to transition to PCs and word processors fast enough to nullify any strain represented by kanji.
Poor ass countries like Korea and Vietnam couldn't make it in time.
>>
>>12324400

Korea created Hangul because of illiteracy, after they taught Hangul, the literacy rates shot up.

Vietnam switched to Latin letters since they got colonized by the French and the French made it so that only Latin letters were taught. This was so they could transition to learning French much easier.

Nothing to do with printing.
>>
>>12324427
Korea used a mixed hangul-hanja script until the 1970s at least. The full switch to hangul is something that literally happened this generation.
>>
>>12324389
>and they could just assign different meanings of homophones to numbers to differentiate them, like shita1 has X meaning and shita2 has Y meaning
What the fuck, I think this is the most retarded thing I've read this year. Congratulations.
>>
>>12324610

Seconding this, that's the most retarded thing I've also read this year.
>>
>>12324389
>
Not as ambiguous when there are spaces, and they could just assign different meanings of homophones to numbers to differentiate them, like shita1 has X meaning and shita2 has Y meaning, still way easier than kanji.
Why not just write kanji above the word?
>>
>>12324319
And speeding up reading comprehension is a bad thing how?

>>12324610
>>12324623
Thirding this, it's the most retarded thing I've read this year.
>>
>>12324400
As you can see by >>12324319
Japanese was unable to be interpreted as anything other than Hiragana because of the limit of processors back then. The limit of the byte length, memory capacity, and whatnot made it unfeasible to include the entire Japanese character set in the early decades of computing. See JIS_X_0201, a standard made in 1969, has only Katakana. Like ASCII, it is 7/8-bit.
PCs had the same problems as typewriters. These weren't resolved until 1978 with JIS C 6226, well after the Korean war had ended from the perspective of the American occupiers.
>>
>>12325051
Keep in mind, that those are only standards. It's perfectly reasonable that a video game would invent its own character set for the purpose of viewing hiragana.
>>
>Romanization
>They tried
>It failed and it sucks
>>
Oh well, looks like I'm not learning nipponese then.
>>
>>12325871
I think it's just a quote from that crazy "Jews fear the Samurai" man.
>>
File: 0039_01_l.jpg (30KB, 687x727px) Image search: [Google]
0039_01_l.jpg
30KB, 687x727px
>>12325051
When I talk about word processors, I'm referring to these computer-aided printing machines. Their development had nothing to do with JIS and were already ripe for use by the 70s.
>>
>>12320432
i think everyone wonders this when they're brand new at the language. i know i did.

but what happens is you learn a bunch of kanji, and then you realize how unwieldy kanas and romaji are, how much space on the paper they take up, and how annoying it would be to both read and write without kanji

and then you start to wish that english had some kind of condensed character writing system
>>
>>12326866
Each language has its advantages and I agree with this guy about the condensed character writing system.
>>
>>12326881
No, you SJW scum.
Not everything is a unique and special snowflake.
>>
Kanji is very useful for native. One Kanji-letter can discribe detail, complicated meanings.
kanji is efficient when it is used as "jukugo(??)".
jukugo is composed from 2-4kanjis. it is based on classical Japanese language.(and its origin is not only Japan bit also china)
>>
>>12323010
>Destruction of culture and forced race mixing

Goddamn, that is some fucked up /pol/-tier shit.
>>
>>12326897
Lol, that's what came through your mind?
Oh you special unique snowflake.
>>
>>12326932
Go read a hostory book about the meiji era and you'll see what I said was true.

There were Japanese who were trying to push racemixing on a national level within the Japanese government and forigen governments.
>>
>>12333605
good for them
>>
>>12326866
I love kanji combined with grammatical kana. It's so readable. But I'm a new learner and too much kana in a sentence is difficult to parse. I wonder if it's much like that for native readers.
>>
They do it for keyboards nowadays since they find that having certain keys for a certain character to be quite confusing.
>>
>>12324305
that's why i like english
>>
Considering many Japanese TV-shows have subtitles in kanji, to prevent any misunderstandings, because the language assigns many different meanings to one sound, that sounds like a fucking awful idea.
>>
>>12324461
The switch from mixed script to hangul only in the 1970s was for general writings which extensively used hanja for nouns and adjectives, such as newspapers. Hanja is still used today for abbreviations, however appear much more rarely.

Pic related, ? is being used as an abbreviation for ??.
>>
>>12342122
>to prevent any misunderstandings

That's for the hearing impaired or for dramatic effect, not for "avoiding misunderstanding".
The idea that Japanese language, especially spoken language, is overloaded with homophones is a misconception that only people who have never read any text in Japanese can possibly commit.
>>
>>12324400
>If you ask me, the reason Japan dodged the bullet unlike Korea
What's wrong with hangul?
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.