[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

English speakers going to uni in Germany

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: Germany.png (10KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Germany.png
10KB, 2000x1333px
Hello, German Anons (native or immigrant), I'd like to ask some questions from you guys about college.

How would someone qualify to go to university there? Would speaking very minimal German and just being a very strong student be sufficient, or would you need to be fluent before you even arrive? Is it looked down upon for a hamburger from clapistan to come over to go to college there, or is it similar to America in that its socially acceptable?

What are the costs like? Does it cost more for someone out of the country to attend?

Thanks, German Anons.
>>
File: munich.jpg (72KB, 655x269px) Image search: [Google]
munich.jpg
72KB, 655x269px
>>51034775
Bump.
>>
>>51034775
most, if not all german universities offer courses in english
you will still do better in everyday life if you at least try to speak german
idk about costs as you arent from an eu member state, for german citizens its not even 200€ per semester for uni fees, those fees go directly to the uni to maintain basic stuff
its nearly impossible to not get accepted at an uni if you dont apply for courses that require an numerus clausus (medicin for example)
cost of living depends on you, but donjt calculate below 800€ a month if you live alone, and thats poor standard of living
>>
>>51035012
Thanks Anon. I'll have to look into the costs for non EU citizens. What do you mean by numerus clausus? What courses other than medical courses have that?
>>
>>51035146
grade point average from your hs degree, only a few require that, look it up yourself (all german universities have an english website)
what do you want to study?
>>
File: Feel.gif (510KB, 700x827px) Image search: [Google]
Feel.gif
510KB, 700x827px
>>51034775
NATIVE OR IMMIGRANT

>Why.
>>
>>51035012
What? Almost every single TU required I speak German for my undergrad.
>>
Can't speak for Germany but for Austria:
>How would someone qualify to go to university there?
By having passed "Matura" (called "Abitur" in Germany) or something similar.
Some fields like medicine or psychology also have an entry exam.
> Would speaking very minimal German and just being a very strong student be sufficient, or would you need to be fluent before you even arrive?
Completely depends on the courses offered. Some courses are only available in German while others are in English.
>Is it looked down upon for a hamburger from clapistan to come over to go to college there, or is it similar to America in that its socially acceptable?
If you aren't acting like an obnoxious american tourist you'll be fine.
>What are the costs like?
If you finish within the minimal time plus 2 semester, it is free for EU-citizen. After that it's around 300€ (~400$) per semester. Non-EU-citizens always have to pay twice as much so rougly 1500$ per year (and that start with the first semester, so no minimal time +2semster for you)

But consider we that you also have to pay for food, rent etc. on your own since we don't have a campus with dorms etc.
>>
>>51035427
because immigrants who've lived in germs many for a long time can know the same things about applying to a german uni as you do
>>
File: german soccer fans.jpg (95KB, 500x517px) Image search: [Google]
german soccer fans.jpg
95KB, 500x517px
>>51035363
Narrowed it down to physics or engineering, Anon.

>>51035427
I mean if you've been living in Germany since childhood you'd be qualified to answer on the questions. I guess it is stupid to specify that.
>>
You can go to a Studienkolleg for a year to learn German before you enroll. Also, I believe the costs are the same for everyone.
>>
>>51035443
Not the guy you talked to, but I am in Göttingen and we have a lot of chinese exchange students so english is necessarily very common.

Also it could be that mostly people from abroad stay here for their masters, maybe its different there.

Also: Learn german, people will like you for it and you can brag with it at home.
>>
>>51035503
>colored trash
Poor taste detected.
>>
>>51035503
>>51035487

Good points, I just get triggered to easy.
>>
>>51035443
>>51035503
technical courses, especially at smaller universities, are often solely in German.
>>
>>51035503
those dont have a numerus clausus
>>
>>51035715
*go to the website of the uni you want to go to and check the section for stundents from abroad, they all have that
it will probably have an answer to most of your questions
>>
>>51035715
Okay.

>>51035482
>>How would someone qualify to go to university there?
>By having passed "Matura" (called "Abitur" in Germany) or something similar.
>Some fields like medicine or psychology also have an entry exam.
Are there practice tests for that to see how well you'd do on it?
>If you finish within the minimal time plus 2 semester, it is free for EU-citizen. After that it's around 300€ (~400$) per semester. Non-EU-citizens always have to pay twice as much so rougly 1500$ per year (and that start with the first semester, so no minimal time +2semster for you)
>But consider we that you also have to pay for food, rent etc. on your own since we don't have a campus with dorms etc.

That's rather fair pricing.

>>51035565

>Also: Learn german, people will like you for it and you can brag with it at home.
Will start doing that, Anon.

>>51035602
They seem fine. I'll have to refine my tastes.
>>
>>51035909
I was talking about the immigrant thing.
>>51035427

Not the angry guy, he was talking about the blonde hair-colouring.

It is artificial and he disliked that.
>>
>>51035974
>Not the angry guy, he was talking about the blonde hair-colouring.
>It is artificial and he disliked that.

Ahh. There are so many fake blondes here that it is the norm. ;_;
>>
>>51036039
My sympathies.
>>
What is life like as a university student? Is it similar at all to college life over here? Some anon had mentioned earlier that there are no dorms.

>>51036117
Thanks. It is very unfortunate.
>>
>>51036218
idk
but as far as i can tell german universities arent like the ones in the usa that seem to be closed enviorments on their own
people dont live at the uni and the place isnt its own little subcosmos but mostly just a place in a bigger city
>>
>>51036443
Oh, okay. So similar to our community colleges except higher quality education?
>>
Well, I guess /thread. Thanks to all German anons.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.