[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my professor said that in the US the police in Detroit do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: 1447585200775.png (13KB, 409x476px) Image search: [Google]
1447585200775.png
13KB, 409x476px
So my professor said that in the US the police in Detroit do not go into certain suburbs just like the police in France avoid certain suburbs.

Are there any other countries this happens in?
>>
>>51011704

Yes. If the police goes into certain places here, they get mobbed by rock-throwing kids.
>>
police have districts they are not suppose to wonder outside of it

some districts can't pay the police so they don't have any

not avoid but police are not volunteers
>>
Yes, if the bolis go into gypsy settlements here, they get attacked, have to arrest the gyppos, then get sued/harrassed by various NGOs for muh human rights or whatever.

So they rather just avoid them.
>>
>>51011813
>some districts can't pay the police so they don't have any

This is pretty fucked up.
>>
>>51011704
Yes
>>
>>51011813
>american public services

shit like this never happens here
>>
>>51011704
Yes. It's an entire province that we cleanse with airstrikes.
>>
>>51011871
Only the nigger areas
>>
We had rumors like these about the 'Sharia triangle' in the Hague, where police and public services did not dare to enter and had agreements with the locals who said they would do their jobs for them.

But obviously police denied all of this.
>>
File: DETROIT2-slide-RH90-jumbo.jpg (243KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
DETROIT2-slide-RH90-jumbo.jpg
243KB, 1024x683px
>>51011704
>So my professor said that in the US the police in Detroit do not go into certain suburbs
Haha what

All the real suburbs are independent cities anyways, so they got their own police departments. I guess you can say that the Detroit police don't go into certain neighborhoods of Detroit proper- I think Harper Woods is one case of that- but those cases, that's because the police departments of neighboring cities patrol those places instead. Grosse Pointe police patrol Harper Woods and a couple other places in the northwest corner of the city, iirc.

Police aren't wholly absent from any corner of the city, as far as I know, it's just that police departments other than the City of Detroit's PD cover them. That's still pretty shitty, but it's not lawless anarchy like I suspect your professor was implying.
>>
>>51012068
>northwest

shit I meant northeast.
>>
>>51012068
>pic
>babbys first City Sim

why are americans so shit at architecture and city design?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZeXnmDZMQ
>>
>>51012350
What is the problem with American cities? Not all of them follow a grid pattern, and in America they have a problem because people don't want to be stacked like pigs and all want a detached house with a garden.
>>
File: 1429148276812.jpg (8KB, 183x182px) Image search: [Google]
1429148276812.jpg
8KB, 183x182px
>>51012421
>automobile-centric urban planning
>>
>>51012491
You'll always have to choose between two evils.
Do you really think it's fun living in your tiny ass pig pen you cannot even buy with all the money you'll ever earn combined?

But hey at least I can drive my bike to work:--DDD
>>
>>51012421
>What is the problem with American cities?

See the Ted talk, also this, in relation to >>51012491 :
https://www.ted.com/talks/jeff_speck_the_walkable_city?language=en

>not all of them follow a grid pattern
yeah, Boston and a few older places in New England don't, as for the rest of the country, it's literally all orthogonal design, being romanoboos certainly didn't help them during the great urbanisation period.
>>
File: spongeboob.jpg (15KB, 192x154px) Image search: [Google]
spongeboob.jpg
15KB, 192x154px
>>51012350
>why are americans so shit at architecture
>>
File: Percapita[1].gif (23KB, 1100x269px) Image search: [Google]
Percapita[1].gif
23KB, 1100x269px
>>51012576
You can't have a cake and eat it. I see your point but I wouldn't mind having a larger house but having to drive in the car some more.
>>
>>51012666
spongebob pls your house is a pineapple

under the sea
>>
>>51012668
What's the point of driving long hours in a miserable looking environment, just so that you can sleep in a more spatious house?

I don't even know what I'd do with all that place, I already have a 60m^2 appartment and like, 15m^2 are empty closets and unused space.
>>
>>51012841
What's the point of having efficient public transporation and an equal shitty looking enviroment, just so you can sleep in a tiny cramped appartment.

60m2 is good, but I doubt many Russians have that much space. I grew up in the countryside in a pretty big house and everyone I knew had big houses as well, it was a huge shock for me when I left the house to live in the city and see how entire families where shoved in 4 room appartments.
>>
>>51012668
Yes you can. Get two cakes. Each can have 15m2
>>
>>51012841
it isn't so much about living space but having a buffer zone between the suburbs and the inner city.

detroit is the way it is because of race riots. all the whites fled for their lives to the suburbs and took the tax base with them.

every asshole that wants to make cities "walkable" conveniently ignores the crime issue and why white flight happened in the first place. this is ignoring that even if you did want to live in the city you'll be priced out by gentrification.
>>
File: traditional german house.jpg (42KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
traditional german house.jpg
42KB, 500x375px
>>51012978
I don't know about Russia, but 60-80m^2 is the average for commieflat appartments here.

Once you have a wife and 1-2 kids, that comes to China/Russia tier per dweller though (20m^2), so yeah...

There's also other factors at work here, even in the countryside, people here (and especially europeans compared to new worlders) build smaller houses (comparatively), so as to save on various expenses, not least of all heating.
We had a few discussions on insulation and heating here on /int/ and found out Americans and especially Canadians use like 500-1000% more energy on heating.
It's changing now, but the "olden culture" was building small houses.

And as for
>and an equal shitty looking enviroment

Just watch that first youtube vid, the design of an average american town is horrible compared to a european village or town.
>>
>>51012668
I wouldn't mind having a house.
>>
>>51013316
Oh absolutely, I was more referring to the fact that I don't find European/Russian highrise neighbourhoods looking any better/worse than the American sub-urbs.

As for heathing: you're right here, but nowadays all new build houses feature state of the art isolation techniques, and don't forget especially the US on the average is way, way warmer than Europe (with the obvious exceptions of land based areas in the north during winter).
>>51013361
>owning a house
for christs sake it's 2015 people still own houses?
>>
>>51013454
>for christs sake it's 2015 people still own houses?
Mostly baby boomers ;_;
>>
>>51013522
but you can inherite your parents house if they die, just pay that 30% inheritance tax over the estimated value:--DDDD
>>
>>51013588
That's at least thirty years away, but we don't have inheritance taxes here.
>>
>>51013660
>no inheritance taxes
a-are you sure?
pls adopt
>>
>>51011980
Only the turk areas
>>
File: aerial-Des-Moines-Iowa-AHLB9573.jpg (260KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
aerial-Des-Moines-Iowa-AHLB9573.jpg
260KB, 600x400px
>>51013078
>inner city slums
>white flight
>race riots

I mean, even a city where you wouldn't expect that, like Des Moines looks similar.

And as for gentrification, it certainly is an issue in larger cities, but not so much in the smaller ones, since the city centers and commuting distances are much smaller.
>>
>>51013761
Yep, very sure. I'm currently in the process of settling my uncle's estate.
>>
>>51011954
I don't know where that guy lives or if what he said is true but there's nothing like that here in the Southwest US.
>>
>>51013832
>And as for gentrification, it certainly is an issue in larger cities, but not so much in the smaller ones, since the city centers and commuting distances are much smaller.

I'm going to tell you right now that there is no such thing as cheap living anywhere in this country. Unless you want to live in a post-poc nightmare like Gary, East St. Louis, Flint, etc.
>>
>>51011980
I call bullshit on this guy.
>>
>>51013987
>I'm going to tell you right now that there is no such thing as cheap living anywhere in this country.

Well, that means that gentrification shouldn't be an issue then :^)
>>
>>51013316
>the design of an average american town is horrible compared to a european village or town
I've never seen anyone park their cars on the sidewalk in the US. Seems pretty frequent in old European cities built before cars.
>>
Are there any police at all in East St. Louis?
>>
>>51014331
>above average police presence in a black majority neighborhood
u fucking racist pig baka
Police should patrol just as often as they would in the whitest community
>>
>>51014153
I meant to say, "there is no such thing as cheap CITY living anywhere in this country."
>>
>>51011871

some of it has to do with corruption too

there was an entire police for dissolved near me a few years ago because of corruption
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 268x395px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 268x395px
>>51012350
This guy puts into words exactly why I left the suburbs for the city. Thanks anon.
>>
>>51011704
In Russia, the police didn't work in Chechnya until recent. They used to use army instead.
>>
There aren't any no-go areas in the UK, thankfully. Not yet anyway.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.