[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Give me information about Korean traditional costume culture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

File: 455851356.jpg (185KB, 469x594px) Image search: [Google]
455851356.jpg
185KB, 469x594px
I watched Asian Games and found the ladies carrying medals at swimming wears some kind of interesting costume.

For Japanese eyes, it looks like kimono (Japanese ethnic costume) or han fu (Chinese costume in old era). The shape of sleeves, the belt, the collar are similar to kimono or han fu.
But I don't know much about Korean costume culture. I only know chima jeogori as Korean female traditional costume.
Are there any kind of traditional costume like this in Korea?
Anybody please give me some information about this.
>>
>>30930383
>Are there any kind of traditional costume like this in Korea?
NO. NOT AT ALL.

INCHEON city government gave order to design special costume for Asian Game progress staff to local(INCHEON) design school.
But they make this shit.
>>
>>30930861

Oh... shocking. Thanks for your reply.
I thought if kimono might have come from China "via Korea", looking this costume.

So, this costume is not welcomed in Korea? (If this costume have nothing with Korean traditional culture, they don't like it because it looks like rather kimonoor han fu than chima jeogori , do they?)
>>
>>30930861
It's better looking than your shitty pig disgusting hanboks. Those shoes are shit though.
>>
>heels
>skirt that shows the feet
>transparent sleeves
not at all traditional
>>
>>30931146

How about their long and square shaped sleeves? (Actually transparent cloth may not be traditionally used in cold area.)
>>
>>30931090

well, I am afraid that you may start insulting each other's culture... I hope not.
>>
File: 524D0E844E0B230006.gif (232KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
524D0E844E0B230006.gif
232KB, 480x270px
>>30931040
>>30931040
To avoid misapprehension, I'm not saying kimono or kimono style costume is sucks.(personally I like kimono costume. Like this picture)

Yes most of korean doesn't like this costume because of quality. See that cheap smelly costume.
Who does like this cheap crap?

Plus INCHEON city government put lots of it's budget for Aisan Game(so they get high possibilty to bankruptcy) but They make this cheap shit thing.

That why most of korean angry.
>>
>>30931271
Both of sleeve and transparent texture are not tredition and not allowed(in point view of korean) in this worldwide offical event.

Maybe students in design school and god damned local government thought 'lt is cool' but I don't think so.
>>
>>30931506
Ah,thanks for your kind words^^

I see, they got angry because of its cheap looks.
To tell the truth, I also could not but think why INCHEON didn't prepare gorgeous costumes like princesses in Koran historical dramas.
>>
File: pp_6127_1_1351432750.gif (50KB, 300x213px) Image search: [Google]
pp_6127_1_1351432750.gif
50KB, 300x213px
>>30931271
This is what korean think appropriate costume in official event.
See the difference.
>>
>>30931698
Is it a view of value from Confucianism?
Wanna know about the idea of modesty in Korea.

(I heard that costumes at opening ceremony was also not welcomed by Korean people because they showed their sholders)
>>
>>30931819
wow, male version! Men also wear cylinder sleeves in Korea.

wow so colorful, they traditionally wear like this?
(Japanese formal costume for male in pre-modern era was black)
>>
>>30931786
I wonder why they did TOO.
INCHEON local government said 'we put most of our resources at Asian Game to revive our city!', but this is the reality.

I don't know well about japanese local government, but I know most of they did disappointing thing with their budget(like bulit unnecessary buliding).
Maybe this this the same thing I guess.

Ps-some of our local government is much worse than yubari city in hookaido.
>>
>>30932095
Hey...hey...hey...worse than Yubari means hell...

The image of Japanese local government is, well, "sleeping assemblies" and "daily sexual harassment". Ah...I (want to) believe most of them work more seriously.

How will it become at Winter Olympics? Nation government will work better than local?
>>
>>30931326
I'm not, I'm just saying hanbok looks like shit.
>>
>>30931907
>I heard that costumes at opening ceremony was also not welcomed by Korean people because they showed their sholders

Yes. That's true.
But I think it is not because of confucianism.
Just because of stubbornness to sexual thing like exposure.

Most of nowadays korean have no relation with confucianism.
(It is my personal view) korean's basic ideology was community spirit, but evolution of technolgy and politics(military dictatorship to civil democracy) affect that ideology.
So simpy can say 'mixture of community spirit and democratism, individualism'
>>
>>30932053
Yep. All military officer(maybe similar with shogun's or tenno's offical samurai or public warrior) worn like that.

>>30932329
At least mass media watch it, it is better than local government.
But almost nothing keeps check on local government.
Winter olypic?

That city is much poor than INCHEON.
There are no super star like YUAN A KIM and MAO ASADA that time.
I think we are fucked.
>>
>>30932404
I've never known that Korean costume is called "hanbok," thanks. It's shorter than chima jeogori and easy to remember the spelling.

Well, what made you say so aggressive on hanbok? Because hiding the body silhouette does not attract you?
(I don't know much about Korean costume culture, but I can say they looks nice when they dance)
>>
>>30932467
It is so interesting to learn that, I understood I did not few about Korea... Just reading a book has not taught me enough.
Sorry for my less-learned comment.
>>
>>30932695
Ceremony at pre-modern Korean castle should have looked so colorful, then^^ When and where were the "all pure white clothes" popular?

oh...
Thinking about it makes me sad(x_x) I become to wonder President Park can do well.
Ah, no stars from Japan or Korea are a little bit pity. (But I am relieved because it won't happen that nationalists from both countries get fight because of their idols)
>>
Anybody who can search Korean web pages, may I beg your help?
Could you please introduce me some pages in which I can read about the students who designed this costumes and opinions from Korean citizens. Or tell me useful words to search on the Internets or twitters.

(I cannot read Korean, but I use google translator)
>>
>>30932860
ko chi ra ko so ^^.
>>30933096
That white thing was cloth of commoner or local public administrational officer's uniform or just common cloth of bureaucrant.
Some historian said it was will of confucianism, but it was simplely because of lack of supply of colored texture.(this problem have some relation with nationalism fight against japan, but I will not deny it. Because it was true. So sad:( )

Yep. That is sorry thing. Really.

Anyway I hope both country play nicely in future.
>>
>>30933455
Hmm. That's difficult. Really.
There is big communication website like 2ch. But argument for that topic was finished past.
What I can find now is news article.
Here is some of that.

http://m.news.naver.com/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=110&oid=144&aid=0000272594

http://m.news.naver.com/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=102&oid=056&aid=0010065469

And this is korean keyword.
I hope this can help you.

인천아시안게임 = INCHEON Asian Game
의상 = cloth
디자인 = design
>>
>>30933096
I think the predominant white clothes became more and more ubiquitous as Korea (Joseon) became more isolated and more impoverished. Many Korean scholars attribute the decline of Korean society during the 18th, 19th century, leading to the colonial era, to extreme political strifes caused by the constant struggle for dominance among the major factions in the royal court - at the cost of everything else.

This picture is by a Japanese artist. Back then they wore colorful clothes.
>>
>>30932467
>Most of nowadays korean have no relation with confucianism.
Interesting, but what about philosophers like Yi Hwang - that tradition is completely dead in today's Korea? You are more into western social philosophy?
>>
>>30934170
>Those fucking hats.

I always saw them weird, looks more at home with protestants than East Asians.
>>
>>30934309
can you show some traditional dress from your country?
>>
>>30933689
Kamsa hamnida^^

ooh now I got it!
I've long wondered why "pure white" is said as typical characteristic of Korean costume culture although the history drama shows nobles in so colorful costumes!^^

If you are in those nationalistic discussion on costume culture, please tell them that a Japanese who likes Japanese costume culture also admit these;
1. Most of Japanese costume used color textures from plants, not mineral ones like continental countries. So it was relatively cheap.
2. Japanese traditional costume has varied dark colors, but it is because vivid colors were banned sometimes.

If Japanese costume have used mainly mineral color, Japan also had a era of "pure white." (^^;)

I am happy to meet you.
To tell the truth, I was afraid to talk to Korean people like this because of the bad mood between our countries.
>>
File: Tagalog Colonial Costume..jpg (43KB, 311x407px) Image search: [Google]
Tagalog Colonial Costume..jpg
43KB, 311x407px
>>30934368
This pretty much.
>>
File: Krakowskie_bractwo_kurkowe.jpg (2MB, 2592x3872px) Image search: [Google]
Krakowskie_bractwo_kurkowe.jpg
2MB, 2592x3872px
>>30934429
hmm... looks quite European, even our is more "oriental"
>>
>>30934483
it is
Philippines was colonized by the Spanish
>>
>>30933912
Kamsa hamnida so much for your help!
Those are just what I need.
I try searching and translating. (^^)

Maybe I can get some information to correct my and my friends' misunderstanding on that costumes^^
>>
>>30934309
High hats has been a Korean tradition for a long time though. Some Chinese scholars believe that Koguryo (Gaogouli) got its name from the high hats they used to wear.
>>
>>30934170
I can't deny that. Yep thats true.
That time's major economic policy was only for agriculture. Even worse there was no public currency that government can get seigniorage, so always there was no governmental budget to raise strong army and industrial structure like europe. Lack of both thing caused lots of problems(like lack of army to fight against enemy), so government extorted civil property. That caused chronic lack of supply. That's why people at that era just worn white cloth.
>>
File: Boxer Codex-108.jpg (159KB, 450x632px) Image search: [Google]
Boxer Codex-108.jpg
159KB, 450x632px
>>30934483
This >>30934483

Before that, each tribe here had their own costumes. Tagalogs had these. But being Flipchink, my ancestors wore tropical Chinese clothing.
>>
>Korea
>Culture
>>
>>30934531
Yeah but back then they were brimless, often mimicking the Chinese official's cap.
>>
>>30934483

Wow look at that
>>
>>30934501
I know, of course, but these things like traditional dishes, clothes are hard to change
>>
>>30934601
Indeed.

The round hats look straight out of puritanical America. ^_^
>>
>>30934555
nice
>>
>>30934170
Thanks for your picture and explanation.
Then at the last of the kingdom of Lee (sorry, not knowing the exact term), white clothes were the most common, right?
>>
>>30934483
gorgeous...!!
>>
>>30934667
not really, look at latin america
their culture is mostly european with some amerindian/african culture aspects thrown in
>>
>>30934703
>Then at the last of the kingdom of Lee (sorry, not knowing the exact term), white clothes were the most common, right?

Yes. The most accurate and simple answer would be that most Koreans, during that time period, were too poor to afford dyed clothing.
>>
>>30934229
Elders : no care.
Grown-up : no care.
Child : who is he?

I prefer western than our's. Especially 'scientific method'.
I think that was key factor what enable western conquer the world.
And I hate korean's treditional community sprite. I agree that my community and pure heart toward it are important.
But it is so unstable that it can easily turn into totalitarianism.
>>
File: 1281.jpg (162KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1281.jpg
162KB, 1000x750px
>>30934483
that looks a lot like some traditional clothing of some siberian tribes
>>
>>30934408
>>30934508
Youwelcome.
I was glad too to meet nice japanesein this thread.
I hope my knowledge-less answer can help you. :)

A RI GA TO U
>>
>>30934801
and then they cultivate the view of value in which they appreciate the pureness of white. Amazing change!
>>
File: kontusz_kobiecy.jpg (72KB, 335x550px) Image search: [Google]
kontusz_kobiecy.jpg
72KB, 335x550px
>>30934832
thanks
>>30934649
>>30934778
>>30934843
we call it "kontusz", there is also a version for women
>>
>>30934950
cawaiiiiiiii!!! too cawaiiiii!!!!!
Like people in a fairy tail!!
>>
>>30934924

they are not japanese
they are korean immigrants
>>
File: Jan Karol Chodkiewicz.jpg (34KB, 750x1082px) Image search: [Google]
Jan Karol Chodkiewicz.jpg
34KB, 750x1082px
>>30935018
not always "kawai", there was also that grim-dark type of kontusz (pic related)
>>
>>30935106
ahaha.. you say about me?
Then it's not true. Some people do not fit their nationality's stereotypes. There are Japanese like me who only think how to express their negative interest to Korea. And Korean people here are kind to me against my stereotypical fear.
Some British are good at cooking, aren't they? And I had a stereotype that European has more liberal view of value, but you seem not.

By the way, If I had more multi-culuture background, my English would be better, actually. I was born in rural area in Japan, where most of foreign residence are only students.
>>
>>30935146
I am sure he must be a nice wizard.
>>
>>30935106
(Sorry to repost. I had mistake in my message)

ahaha.. you say about me?
Then it's not true. Some people do not fit their nationality's stereotypes. There are Japanese like me, who do not only think how to express their negative interest to Korea. And Korean people here are kind to me against my stereotypical fear.
Some British are good at cooking, aren't they? And I had a stereotype that European has more liberal view of value, but you seem not.

By the way, If I had more multi-culuture background, my English would be better, actually. I was born in rural area in Japan, where most of foreign residence are only students.
>>
File: Casimir_(Civ5)_portrait.jpg (27KB, 399x600px) Image search: [Google]
Casimir_(Civ5)_portrait.jpg
27KB, 399x600px
>>30935146
Based Casimir
>>
>>30935641
considering his sexual life he was really "based"
>>
>>30935727
Really? Can you give me some info? I looked up 'Casimir sexual life' but couldn't find anything
>>
>>30934843
maybe because:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatism
>>
>>30935802
he was known for his numerous lovers (Polish, Hungarian, even Jewish), there was also a story that he raped a daughter of one of the Hungarian nobles and then her father attacked Casimir's sister - Elizabeth of Poland (queen of Hungary), but it's only a story, still it says something about him
>>
>>30936032
>one of the Hungarian nobles
one of Hungarian nobles
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.