[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone gone through learning 3D as a supplement to their 2D work?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: The-Tower.jpg (335KB, 1200x529px) Image search: [Google]
The-Tower.jpg
335KB, 1200x529px
Anyone gone through learning 3D as a supplement to their 2D work? I put all my eggs in 2d painting and drawing I'm losing my fucking mind. Been looking at job listings and I'm getting that feeling I have to start all over again with a totally new subject to even begin thinking about game or film studio jobs considering concept art is glutted to hell with anyone with fundies and all the other openings need Maya, Vue or Substance Painter or some other shit I know nothing about. My software knowledge is basically Photoshop and a bit of SketchUp. Theres a ton of shit on /3/ but just wondering anyone else sifted through the mass and have tips how to learn 3d coming from 2d? Is the grind/hours of training comparable to 2d? Are there meme-masters like loomis for a total beginner to start with?

The only other way to differentiate yourself seems to either be extremely top-tier design and style, but you dont get that without years on experience or hands-on training.
>>
>>3139007
>The only other way to differentiate yourself seems to either be extremely top-tier design and style, but you dont get that without years on experience or hands-on training.
So you're saying, that you're a beginner and suck. Nothing new here.
>>
>>3139007
so the issue is not that you CAN'T get it, but that it'll take a long time?

that's a microwave oven, anon.
do the work everyday, and wait for the stuff to figure itself out.

You have one extra day if you start today instead of tomorrow.
>>
>>3139007
If you're aiming STRICTLY for concept art, then it's pretty easy. It would take you a week at most to familiarize yourself with the interface. Learn to move, rotate and scale. Those are the things you'll be using the most.

Download some torrents with hundreds of premade models, just drag and drop, and paint over. Sets like this
https://vitalybulgarov.com/3d-kitbash/
There is for cars, furniture, etc.

Then you can move into modeling.

3D isn't even comparable in difficulty and time to 2D. The entry bar is lower so there are more scrubs. 2D is abstruse, because there are no instructions when you are lost. No handholding. You can't google "How do I think about this form?", "How can I simplify these shapes". You have to figure out everything yourself. You could google for examples of how other artists have done it, but that doesn't guaranties that you'll find one specific for you situation.

3D is the opposite. Everything is documented. Whenever you have a doubt, don't figure it out. Google it. Look for tutorials and books. It's mostly technical, like learning to operate a machine.
Compared to 2D which is working directly modding your own brain, controlling your muscles, discipline, your visual library, your emotions and shit.
>>
>>3139042
It's like "What brush settings do you use?" question.

In 2D, that question is stupid because the look of the painting depends on the skills and sensibilities of the artist, not the brush.

But in 3D is the opposite. The tool is more important than the artist. You have to find what tools other artists use if you want similar results.
>>
>>3139007
Just fucking step away from it and draw what you really want.
Do we really need another photobashing shitter who craps out unimaginative landscapes they have no passion for because they're in love with the idea of being a "concept artist"?
>>
Only learn 3D if it looks fun to you or if you really like artists who use it. Feels like the whole professional world is on some mission to become the most productive cog in a machine, competing for an increasingly shit end goal.

Just fucking make the art you love and get really good, you chose 2D for a reason, work will come. You don't want to be another unremarkable sheep who pours all his effort into a technological rat race he doesn't give a shit about.

This job isn't good enough that id be willing to push polygons for the privilege of being a concept artist, if the industry abandons pure 2D and you only like 2D then get a different career, I know I will.
>>
File: wah.jpg (369KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
wah.jpg
369KB, 1000x1000px
>>3139035
yeah. Just beginning to find out how deep the shit goes then the doubt hits.
>>3139037
If I had my way I'd study forever. Finishing high school and going to university, Im finding out theres no guarantee plan unless I tailor skills for a job.
>>3139059
Thanks for the info man. Yeah, I'm thinking of sticking mainly to concept art though not against looking into stuff like matte painting or even vfx. Was thinking of mainly getting technical proficiency in Zbrush and Maya. Beginning to wonder how much less daunting it is after getting comfortable with the interface. Interesting way of looking at 3d as being very tool-based, though I imagine 3d-artists have ideas of 'fundies' also.
>>3139067
>>3139137
I'll still keep on 2d. Just having a bit of a /blog/ since starting to get legit worried about job prospects as a concept artist or illustrator. Even graphic design doesn't sound too bad as a day job before git gud. Basically I realised I suck and, I'm probably running away again by trying to restart. god i wish i could just work and not thinkk of this shit
>>
>>3139007
Well, yeah, you're going to have trouble working as a concept artist, you chose the top jobs in a highly competitive field, that requires the most skill and talent of any position in the company. And you're surprised that you can't get hired?
I would say yes, learn 3D. It can't hurt, especially since jobs like texture artist are easier to get than the rock star conceptual artist jobs. But don't think you'll learn it in a week. Give yourself a year at least to be competent in the basics. Go download a copy of Blender, it's free, and start learning. Get a sub to 3D Artist.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.