[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comic artist inquiry

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: boing boing.jpg (1MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
boing boing.jpg
1MB, 1200x1200px
Hey /ic/, i dont know if this is the best place to ask, but i have a comic i am trying to get off the floor. I have been writing it for over a year. I want to know if anyone has been in the same predicament I have, and how to get out of it. I cant draw, and am not willing to wait to get better, because i need my comic to get off the floor soon. How did you find an artist who is willing to work for the comic for free knowing that the pay for the comics is the reward??
>>
>>3136083
I didn't and took up learning how to draw.
>>
>>3136087
how long did it take you to get somewhere suitable to actually represent a world setting, and have your story out there?
>>
>>3136091
Two three ish years
>>
If you have any faith in your goddamn product you shouldn't puss out on dropping a couple thousand dollars for good work, and if you don't have faith in it then take the L and go talk to the wall for the rest of your life nigga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWXYoD7wfOs
>>
>>3136083
ways to get an artist to work for free:

>become the artist's best friend

>write a script specifically for that artist's interests and skill set

>show the artist that you have the drive/know how to promote the comic and an audience patiently waiting for the finished comic, so money is actually an attainable goal.

if you do one or all of these things you can get a mediocre artist who probably has never made a comic before.

If you want quality, and/or work made in a timely manner, you need to be prepared to pay your artist.

Can you tell us more about your project? How long is it? why do you need to publish it now? how do you plan on making money off of it when it's done?
>>
>>3136095
I'll gladly talk more about it. It was a passion project between me and my friend in high school. Ever since college, we have slowly drifted apart, and not to sound gay, but if i show him promise in this he may come back and work on it with me, instead of being all alone working with it. A friend who i knew who could draw kept bailing on me, and eventually went to college. Theyre all enjoying themselves, and i am kinda stuck still working on this comic that i have so much love for. For the past 2 or three years i have seen it being built, and just want to see it out there, for people to love it as much as i do. I'd divulge more about the comic, but i cant really string a proper summary right now.
>>
>>3136099
If you really care about this project, get a part time job. Every ~8 hours of work can be seen as a page worth of funding. A decent page rate will also bring in a decent artist, who can help you navigate the less glamorous parts of making a comic like formatting pages for printing, panel breakdowns, etc. The final product will be a lot better for it.
>>
>>3136107
i have been busting my ass trying to get a job for that exact same reason, but I cant seem to land one. I feel so hopeless.
>>
>>3136083
>>3136099

Im in the same boat as you, OP. I'd be willing to do it, if you can give a summary of it and such. I do work, however, so it would probably be slow moving.
>>
>>3136109
how would i do it without just dropping the entire bomb on you, if you catch my drift. Is there a way to contact you. Like a kik?
>>
>>3136108
maps.google.com

type in "restaurant" (or maybe even "something else") and start making some calls

I used to believe people when they said they can't find work but I know a schizo/autist that has panic attacks and he's had literally dozens of jobs since I've known him over the past few years-literally has a new one every two weeks or so, and this is despite being basically blacklisted when he leaves. If you're having a hard time finding a job either you live out in the country or you're not looking as hard as you're telling us and yourself. Don't feel like you're above real work, just DO IT.
>>
Your comic is shit, your writing is trash, and your friends knew it, that's why they dropped off.

>I'm trying so hard and can't find a job, really!
lmfao either retard or lazy loser. either way NGMI
>>
>>3136116
Post your work
>>
>>3136114
going to try it
>>
>>3136083
>an artist who is willing to work for the comic for free

there's your problem

>knowing that the pay for the comics is the reward??

nigga gotta eat

I myself am in a similar position except I'm learning to draw well enough until I can realize it myself. If I wanted someone else to make it money wouldn't be an object, they'd be worth it
>>
>>3136099
Just dump the whole story for us to read then
>>
>>3136122
its around 10 pages, no way i can just copy and paste it here. I decided that you guys were right. I probably have been lying to myself, maybe it is trash. I still love it, so i am going to just force myself to get a job, even though i am a lazy fuck, then make some fund money.
>>
>>3136111
>it's an insecure ideas guy afraid of sharing his idea episode
oh no, someone might steal it! or make fun of it! I spent so long on it that it'd hurt my feelings!

Why are ideas guys almost always like this?
>>
>>3136124
Put it in a google doc or a pastebin and just link us, hell you could even put it in a dropbox or a mega file
>>
>>3136124
>its around 10 pages,

That's surprisingly reasonable. Most of the aspiring comic writers I know are working on their sprawling 200+ page epics. Good job keeping the project small, that's going to make things a lot easier for you.
>>
>>3136127
ill try to do that right now. Excuse me if my writing is absolute dog shit.
>>
>>3136126
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11xrfmUoCqZSYo0QA6Y4RCoHbrwynnKfbamcSn0g8sKE/edit
>>
>>3136135
i feel like i fucked up by doing this immensely.
>>
>>3136137
Yeah turn that private shit off and enable sharing or something. I can't see it yet.
>>
File: IMG_3196.png (296KB, 2732x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3196.png
296KB, 2732x2048px
>>3136130
>are working on their sprawling 200+ page epics

hey, I resemble that remark!
>>
>>3136111
You can contact me at my throw-away email here: [email protected]

But honestly nothing is original, and I've learned that. It's all in the execution of the idea, which only you can really say.
Anyway hit me up and we'll try to get something done.
>>
>>3136139
what, i thought i had it under only viewing, what happens when you go to the link??
>>
>>3136145
Its a private link that can only be shared if you give an individual permission.
>>
OP, if you're planning to get a barely decent artist to work for free then fuck off, or pick up a pen or pencil, git gud, and diy.
>>
>>3136150
Surely there are still decent artists out there who still fall for the exposure/paid royalties meme.
>>
>>3136149
i think this is a sign to keep it private, and not let it get out
>>
>>3136124
Don't write yourself off as trash. Sometimes we just have to pay people to do things for us that we can't do, it's how our system works.

I've paid an artist I'm working with I think 2 or 3 thousand at this point to help me with a game project I'm working on-and we're nowhere near done. It's not like I'm rich either (I'm in the bottom 15-20% of where I live, I think). I have high hopes for my project but there is a real chance that I will fall flat on my face and it will have all been for nothing (not that I won't still be better off than if I'd gone to arts school lmoa) and honestly that's okay. In the end even if I personally fail I'll have at the very least possibly given someone a leg up with the money and it's not like I'm going to be dead or some shit.

That's just the reality here man, and that's the one you have to face too. You have every incentive in the world to work with the best person you can find and pay as much as you feel you need to if you really want the people out there to see your idea the way YOU see it. You have to be your own biggest cheerleader and part of that is putting your best foot forward, gnomesaiyan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k02GorIutAk
>>
>>3136154
thank you, really inspiring, now i feel like shit for constantly putting it off,
>>
>>3136083
good artists won't draw for free.
there's a ton of bad artists out there that will probably work for slave wage.

either earn some money and pay someone that is decent, or enjoy your badly drawn comic. your call.
>>
>>3136083
>How did you find an artist who is willing to work for the comic for free knowing that the pay for the comics is the reward?
>work for the comic for free
>the pay for the comics is the reward
wat
>>
>>3136114
This, you’re a lazy faggot.

>apply for manual labor job
>”do you do drugs or are you an alcoholic?”
>no
>”can you come to work on time?”
>y-yes
>”OH MY GOD, YOU’RE PERFECT”
>>
>>3136265

Where do you live? In western Europe, no manual labor job hires anyone without a 3 year apprenticeship.
>>
>>3136272
Nigga, wat? I work in a glass factory, what fucking apprenticeship do you imagine there existing for picking things up and putting them down? Just sigh some stp’s and shit and you’re set.
And I guarantee my country is more anal about H&S and all that shit than yours.
This isn’t fucking construction, nobody’s gonna take you on as an apprentice for carrying shit, Jesus Christ.

Just go to a supermarket, nigga. Like, just tell them you want to carry things around for them.
>>
>>3136279
What is the job called that they pay you for? Like what does it say on your pay check?
>>
>>3136282
Glass processor. According to my contract, my position includes operating every single machine in the factory. It’s some Jewish trickery on the company’s part.

I was only stuck doing the retard routine for a couple of months before they trained me to operate machinery, so now I just make other people’s lives difficult. First job, zero work experience.
Nobody who comes in can tell glass from their ass at first, but they learn if they stick around, which 90% of people don’t because they’d rather play video games and collect welfare.
Most people don’t last 3 months.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a hard job, and it’s a shit job, but it pays, and after 18 months, I am so, so close to saving up enough money to fuck off and draw for a year or two without a care and in my own place.
>>
>>3136272
UK?
>>
>>3136272
This
Got stuck working retail for 2 years now. I have one year left till they pay me halfway decently, since i started i wrote scripts for myself to get practice and tried to git gud at drawing. Only thing i want to do is draw comics on the webs for free and make a halfway decent living viva stuff like patreon.

This being a wageslave shit isn't for me but it's at least a step in the right direction before getting serious about making a comic and trying to live just of that.
>>
>>3136135
Just give us a brief summary
>>
>>3136083

1/2
I've been commissioned by people to draw their comics for them twice. One for $50 a page, and another for $150 a page. Both were stories which my clients had been writing for a long time, their "darlings" persay. They had enough faith in their product to pay good money to have them drawn for them.

I can tell you this much. Both of them suck.

Conversely, my best friend is a writer, and together we're collabing to create comics and manga. We shit out really good concepts on a regular basis, and keep a notebook of story ideas to tackle in the future, while we work on the one which we feel has the highest marketability.

He's written various short stories in the past, and has won awards. I've read his work, and have seen first hand just how good he is at writing. Neither of us gave a problem with scrapping a concept which we feel is going nowhere, if we can get a better idea off the ground, and for him, putting out a decent story isn't exactlt difficult as he has experience. What we have, is the drive to be successful, more than any personal attachment to any story. Yes, we both have various stories we've outlined or wanna tell some day. But we both also know there's no point in putting them out now, when those stories would have more impact and reach once we've made a name for ourselves.
>>
>>3136365
2/2

In short.

If you want an artist to work FOR you, on YOUR baby. You gotta pay for it, no way around it. Just be warned, your idea for a story isn't as great as you think it is, no matter how long you've been working on it, unless you're an experienced and talented writer who knows the ins and outs of storytelling and plot devices.

Alternatively, your other option is to SEEK and artist to collab with, but for this, you have to drop your baby, show off your writing skills by having various short stories for people to read, and make friends with a talented artist seeking a writer. From there it's up to you on whether you can convince them to work on your idea, or compromise to make something you both like.

What you don't seem to get is that comic making is hard work. Pure monotone only, you're looking at roughly 4hours per page, minimum. And that's not taking storyboarding and panneling into account. Why would you expect that to be done for free, or for the promise of "money down the line?"
>>
>>3136365
Can I see your art
>>
>>3136367
No.

I just talked shit about two clients, one of whom I picked up on /ic/. Showing off my work will expose who I am, and who I'm talking about.

I'll gladly express my opinions anonymously in vagueness, but I'm not gonna go around publically calling specific projects I was paid to work on "trash."
>>
>>3136371
fuck you rajesh, we're FINISHED
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.