[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There is so much information available, how do you know if you're

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

There is so much information available, how do you know if you're following sound advice?

Sometimes even on this board I feel as if people are purposely misleading others to keep them down.
>>
After divulging in enough information, you'll see that there isn't one path and that it doesn't really matter anyways since you can unlearn and relearn things.
>>
>>3133941
/ic/ is the blind leading the blind. I'm sure a lot of people are well meaning, but you need to understand the values of anonymity that this website was built on don't play too nice with art reputation and credentials matter a whole lot for teaching, doubly so when it comes to art, and you get none of that here.
>>
>>3133955
I always say /ic/ is WetCanvas with insults
>>
There are as many ways as there are artists.
There is literally no "right" way and going outside what others are doing is the only way to innovate
>>
>>3133941
>how do you know if you're following sound advice?
You know if you're making money within 3 years
>>
>>3133965
>3 years
how?
>>
>>3133965
This is actually somewhat true but misleading. Just following the sticky and /ic/'s advice is enough for you to start making money within a year or two since that'll get you to DA tier, but it'll be like 10$ commissions. It's making money, but it's not a lot as if you were actually a really good artists.
>>
>>3133955
>but you need to understand the values of anonymity that this website was built on don't play too nice with art reputation and credentials matter a whole lot for teaching, doubly so when it comes to art, and you get none of that here.

Only in this case, "the blind" are usually just repeating what they picked up from seasoned veterans and highly respected teachers. If you disagree with any of the conventional /ic/ wisdom, you aren't at odds with the reputation and credentials of random anonymous posters, you are at odds with the likes of Loomis, Vilppu, Hampton, Jeff Watts, Steve Huston etc. No one here is making up any secret art rituals no one has ever heard of. Unless of course they are shitposting, in which case it's always very obvious and if you can't tell that apart from legitimate advice, you are probably too stupid to get good in the first place.
>>
>>3134015
>seasoned veterans and highly respected teachers
They're gurus, they know better than everyone how fucking saturated the job market is
>>
>>3134033
How? They don't even work in the same industry as most people who want to become professionals. By the way, the job market isn't saturated with artists, it's saturated with bad wannabe artists who somehow got this idea inside their head that they are entitled to find work despite not having any real skill.
>>
You know the rule, OP.
>>
>>3134048
>it's saturated with bad wannabe artists who somehow got this idea inside their head that they are entitled to find work despite not having any real skill.
Glad some people understand this.
>>
>>3133941

I have never drawn a thing in my life, that's my secret.
>>
>>3133941
Whenever you learn something new, look at your favorite artists and see how it applies to their work. Do they incorporate these principles into their art?
Learn from as many different resources as possible. when resources give conflicting information, figure out which one is right by getting a third resource, testing it yourself or using common sense.
Some formats are more trustworthy than others. Tumblr and Youtube are more likely to lead you astray than gnomon or published books. (fair warning: all of them can fuck up)
Always try to understand the reasoning behind any advice you're given. When Loomis says to draw women with broad shoulders, you know you can ignore it because he's working from out of date beauty standards.
>>
>>3133941
Keeping people down is THE thing people do on IC, it's probably the worst place you can come to really get help. You'll get the eventual decent piece of advice here, but its covered in so much garbage and emotional abuse, and people who just want to feel like their better than everyone else, that's its totally not worth coming here for it. In my opinion.

I'm just visiting, I prefer /i/ even, over /ic/ the level of full of themselfness here is through the roof.

It's my opinion that anyone who can actuall draw really well leaves here and pretty much rarely or never comes back because those people are likely too old to want to put up with the teenage bs that goes on here.
>>
I don't follow any advice from here, in youtube/videos case, I only listen to the ones that don't have a faggy voice, so I'm only left with the 5% of them.
>>
>>3134965
>their
>its
>the 'lol I left and never came back' meme

Point me in the direction where people are keeping others down. We have a resource thread, 2 stickies, all major generals pointing you to resources. Don't tell me you get into arguments with anons and are too afraid to stand your ground by posting work because that's board culture, not keeping you down.
>>
you're best off listening to advice from people with a solid portfolios and who work in the industry (needs to be verifiable). If you're a beginner your taste is probably bad, so you need to keep broadening your horizon in terms of what's out there (consuming, art, reading books).

So basically surround yourself with good trustworthy people and listen to what they have to say. That will most certainly elevate you!

Trust is not really possible on an anonymous board. You can't see my portfolio, so what I say might be bullshit. Any post needs to be taken with a heavy grain of salt. However lots of posts here point you to good artists and books to check out. People who run the sticky are fairly trustworthy.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.