[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jim Lee, current publisher of DC Comics and former publisher

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

Jim Lee, current publisher of DC Comics and former publisher of Wildstorm Comics, says that most incoming artists got good by their late teens and early twenties, and that it's extremely rare for an artist to get good after that point.

So what does /ic/ say to that?
>>
That it'll feel good to be an exception.
>>
>>3132254

Right answer. You're gonna make it.
>>
You have to understand the implications of what he's saying.

>most incoming artists
That means a majority, but not everyone.

>got good by their late teens and early twenties
Most of the new artists already knew what they wanted to do since they were young so they succeed sooner.

>and that it's extremely rare for an artist to get good after that point
Yes, because most who are incoming already knew what they wanted to do. Most meaning that the least have to be the extremely rare people who got good after that point.

He's just stating generalities that everyone would obviously know. It's like saying college graduates get entry jobs while it's extremely rare for a person within their fifties to career change.

It doesn't change anything and shouldn't put fear into you just because you think you're old.
>>
>>3132248
I'd say that "most incoming artists" have nothing to do with an average person's ability to be able to draw competently within weeks, and good within years. Furthermore, OP is a fag for making yet another "you can't get good because X" threads.
>>
I'm 31 and I personally think he's right but it's whatever. While I seldom pass up an opportunity to bitch about it a little in passing I'm not going to cry about it all day either because moping around not drawing will kill your gains faster than cardio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB91QfyBuz8
>>
>>3132248
Hes right 25+ gramps should give up
>>
>>3132248
most people would argue that 90% of the incoming artists the big 2 are hiring right now aren't good at all in the first place.
>>
>>3132248
It's not impossible, but let's just say it's unlikely. Sure, there are people who change professions late in life, and are successful at it, but the older you get, the odds drop quickly and significantly.

I don't think it's impossible for someone older to develop as an artist.

But get hired? That's another story, and has more to do with other factors, than "getting gud".

BUT

With self publishing prices dropping, you should be able to publish your own work, start a following, and make some money, which makes you more attractive to a publisher...and maybe make you realize, staff job are only one way to have a career.

I would bet Jim Lee hires young people more for their willingness to get paid a lot less, than anything else, too.
>>
>>3132254
lmfao pathetic old losers still think they can make it competing against younger people who have more free time and resources.

go play some bingo and eat alone at Denny's
>>
>>3132536

"Pathetic old losers"

You know Jim was talking about people in their mid-twenties being too old right?
>>
>>3132539
>mid 20s
>still on 4chan
take a hike grandpa
>>
>>3132248
>It's impossible to get good once you're out of high-school and have to pay your own way in life

That's wrong. It's not impossible. Most people just don't have 12 hours a day to fuck off and not have friends or do anything but draw. Its still possible but you need to juggle the struggles of responsibility an adult has too.

Pretty much what slows down anyone wanting to learn a skill.
>>
>>3132248
>Jim Lee
Coming from him means shit to me. He's extremely overrated.
>>
>>3134649
Specially since his early twenties art is shit.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.