[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Major Masses Question

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: images (4).jpg (16KB, 511x288px) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
16KB, 511x288px
Hey so I have a question. I was over at Ctrl Paint and the videos on gesture drawing and major masses. Very helpful but there is something I am not grasping right now. Why is it helpful to think of the pelvis as this kind of slanted box? Having trouble parsing it as a refrence point. The head and torso or ribcage look basically as they do, but thats not how the pelvis actually looks? Anyone care to help me out? How can I see it intuitively as a box?
>>
Everyone has some degree of pelvic tilt.
>>
>>3132344
Well the tilt I understand but why the box shape. Hip bone isnt shaped like a box?
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 1270x1417px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 1270x1417px
>>3132080
>Why is it helpful to think of the pelvis as this kind of slanted box

the idea is taht everything can be broken down into geometric hspaes as that hsi sthe easiest way to visualize anythign (a pelvis is a box, tanks are boxes with a cylinder atop them with a thin cylinder within that cylinder, etc). yes the hip bone is not a box but to visualize it as such is to help construction and help visuiazlize the tilt, which is important in the higher levels of anatomy trainign.

which is to say: everythign is arbitrary.,
>>
>>3132386
anon, are you okay?
>>
try proko's method
>>
>>3132390
i have just been drinking, for some reason in the intial stages of a drawing i get over that "clean canvas anxiety" you know? just makes it eaasier to flow a little bit and get ideas out because rendering is easy, it just takes time. creating something intereeting is hard. but i hope i answered OP question okay heha.
>>
>>3132403
thats basically a round box
>>
>>3132386
Ok I think I get it. Thanks. Lay off the sauce man haha.
>>
>>3132421
nigga das a cilinder lmao baka
>>
File: jordanlaughing_zpsfa0b44e7.gif (3MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
jordanlaughing_zpsfa0b44e7.gif
3MB, 200x200px
>>3132421
would say a pyramid is a pointy box?
>>
The upper corners of the box are those bones you see sticking out in this pic. The box's bottom ends at the pubic bone.
>>
File: Pelvis.png (60KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
Pelvis.png
60KB, 240x240px
>>3132509
Why is it slanted behind upwards? Because upper sides of the box represent the edges of ilium. They're higher behind and there's this huge space left in the front for internal organs.

The box doesn't appear in real life but it's one way to simplify pelvis and tell it's alignment. What I described here is based on landmarks in skeleton. Proko does touch the subject but I recommend reading Hampton's Figure Drawing Design and Invention to get a better grasp on the subject.
>>
>>3132421
>>3132454

topkek
>>
>>3132421
>>
>>3132403

I personally find a elongated box to be easier to visualize on the figure, and the perspective is also easier to nail on a box with straight lines rather than have to draw ellipses with no clear point of attachment to anatomical landmarks.
>>
>>3132369
that's just one way of drawing it, you could also draw it like a bowl shape or two tilted discs connected by a cylinder.
>>
>>3132369
It's just to give the perspective for when you actually draw the pelvis.
>>
>>3132080
I draw both the torso and pelvis as boxes personally. All I need them for is to get the proportion/placement/perspective right then I can just visualize the anatomy that goes in-between.
>>
>>3132386
what is the image from?
>>
File: 117.jpg (96KB, 1270x1417px) Image search: [Google]
117.jpg
96KB, 1270x1417px
>>3133132
some chinese anatomy book, can't read mandarin so i don't know the title. didn't come with a cover
>>
>>3133180
Can you upload the book? The pictures look interesting.
>>
>>3133416
found this on the archive
https://mega.co.nz/#!2J5zEDZS!deo3t3ByTqRr44lHyayUDGtQSLwSdI4iY_g5oC9u2oI
>>
>>3133424
Thanks, love!
>>
>>3132080
The box is the simplest shape to draw that also gives you an approximation of where major landmarks are. The points of the iliac crest and the trochanter of the femur rest near the front corners of the box. The V shape of the sacrum in the back begins with the top edge on the back of the box.

If you are able to draw the box correctly perspective, then you can keep the relationships of those landmarks correct in perspective too.
>>
>>3132080
When sketching the pelvis you need to communicate a few things about it - it's position, rotation and placement of important landmarks like the pubic arch or iliac spine.
Box does that, and it's probably the simplest form you can pick. It's not perfect, but do you have any other ideas?

>>3133180
>>3133424
Good stuff, thanks man!
>>
>>3133424
thank you Anon!
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.