[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Abstract Paintjam

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: examples.gif (2MB, 937x703px) Image search: [Google]
examples.gif
2MB, 937x703px
Howdy, /ic/! My art group and I have been doing this pastime for a bit and I wanted to share.

The premise of the activity is sharing abstract images with your friends and trying to make some sort of a readable composition from them within a set time frame.

Firstly you and a few friends get together on skype/hangout or whatever your preferred chat program is. We prefer hangout as it's easy to share screens and give each other advice while talking about specific areas of a piece. For the second step, each of you should spend the next five or so minutes chopping together an abstract image, aiming to have an interesting range of colors, values and shapes. I advise using lots of scatter brush, warp tool and adjustment layers to give a sense of detail density while still keeping things vague. Once your abstracts are completed they should be handed over to one another so each participant can spend the next hour(or however long you want) attempting to hash out some sort of full image from what they've been given. Keep in mind, the goal isn't to make anything great, nor impress women, or produce content for your failing Patreon. However, it can serve as a fun warm up, get you in the habit of drawing ever day, and I find it's quite useful for discovering the area where you've been struggling the most before you tackle it with more serious work.

In the end, the only rule is that there are no rules. You don't have to use much if any of the abstract you're given. Crop it, adjust colors, warp it, whatever. It's great to share it with your friends, if doing so hurts then you'll only get tougher.

I collected a few of the abstracts we had saved as examples and boosters in case anyone's interested. If you happen to this up you're more than welcome to post your results in this thread.

>tl;dr Draw random shit, make your friends draw over it, have a laugh and work on something serious.

FYI believe this idea was taken from elsewhere, I wouldn't want to take credit.
>>
>Boosters

http://imgur.com/a/5viyD
>>
hi devin
>>
>>2291453
Almost didn't notice the pepe
>>
>>2291453
fuck that why is it a gif? wanted to save that for my inspiration folder
>>
>>2292112
Do you not have photoshop? Save it and delete the other layers. It's 2 seconds of work.
>>
>>2292167
Not him, but that still takes time to do so I can see why he would be annoyed. Also a gif will compress the image a ton and really reduce the quality so if he wants to use it as inspiration it would be much better if it was a jpg that actually had the details colours and edges actually defined instead of compressed to oblivion.
>>
This reminds me of Feng Zhu's video on mashing together random images and coming up with thumbnails from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-l9kNXAeGQ
>>
>>2291453
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNzz0B3ZXzs

kinda relevant
>>
File: 1448065878875.jpg (2MB, 1853x2758px) Image search: [Google]
1448065878875.jpg
2MB, 1853x2758px
>>2292181
>>2292112
not op but turned the gif into a jpg
>>
>>2294103
thanks. op a shit
>>
I LOVE YOU DEVIN
>>
File: paintjams_01rafael_x_longiy.jpg (1008KB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
paintjams_01rafael_x_longiy.jpg
1008KB, 2480x3508px
hr
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.