[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Art school worth it?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 17

File: 1430921273528.jpg (154KB, 666x999px) Image search: [Google]
1430921273528.jpg
154KB, 666x999px
Is Art school worth it?
>>
>>2282264
If you go to a top tier school and don't take a lot of debt, yes. (This is a bit different for artcenters concept art program). If you're not good enough to go to a good school on scholarship, then you aren't good enough to get work outside of it.
Obviously you can teach yourself technical skill at home, but art school teaches you how to formulate and execute ideas. Also the connections you make in art school are very very important.
>>
art hasn't been worth it since the time of the ninja turtles ended
>>
>>2282271
Non Americanfag here, do good art schools even offer scholarships? I've never heard of places like Art Center offering scholarships.
>>
>>2282283
don't go into art unless you have connections. nobody buys it anymore
>>
>>2282271
>but art school teaches you how to formulate and execute ideas

Self teaching can help you with this as well. The #1 problem I always see at Art Schools is lack of resources, which /ic/ isn't short of that. Taking some of the better on-site and online courses that money has to offer, I can tell you that it's all a loud of shit.

At the end of the day, the instructors advise will advise you to continue reading what you're currently reading, and just draw more. That's it. Most art students drop out not because they can't afford it, but simply because it gets in the way of their self teachings.
>>
>>2282286
Fuck my typos. Ah, still read-able, I think.
Bottom line, Self Teaching > Art School by far.
>>
Top tier art school = career.

If you go to a top tier art school you don't even have to commit to a career within Art. Go to a place like Ruskin to study art and people will want to hire you.

The stigma of Art school is understandable, however if you're talented then go for it. You'll make a career if you have a plan and idea.
>>
>>2282293
the demand doesn't meet the supply... there are many ways to be creative than using drawings and sculptures
>>
>>2282264

no. neither is art in general. go get a stem degree and live a happy life.
>>
>>2282264
shit. if school gave me ruan powers i would bite the bullet.
>>
>>2282308
And that's why going to a top tier art school is important. Allows you to branch of into other careers, giving you more career options.
>>
>>2282314
get out of here feng
>>
>>2282271
Taking comissions early on will teach that better than any school will theoretically teach you.
Art schools are useless - we have the internet now. There's so much knowledge, especially regarding to art, that it's a waste.

If you fail at self-teaching, you would never have made it if you came out of any school in the first place. No professor or program will ever make you love practice/repetition/concentration but your own determination/passion.

You also never stop learning in art - you don't have the time to go to school forever anyway. So self teaching is a skill every good artist has developed. Might as well use it to not get yourself a meaningless debt.
>>
>>2282395
How much do you make on commissions?
How can you tell what you've done for practice is good?
>>
>>2282354
fuka u anon
wry nobody come to fengs schoor of design...
you arr are terribru artist!
my waifu is veerrrryy hot!
you jearous of feng?
>>
>>2282407
>1
From $40 (bust sketch), to ~$150 (detailed charcoal portrait) to $500 (fantasy illustration) generally, very rarely ~$1k, depends on the scope of the project - I mostly do real life portraits and fantasy illus/concept a la MTG, except I am still low tier
>2
You do a thing and you see it looks bad in some places. You then re-do a thing many times and you see improvements. You keep doing this all the time and you steadily get better.

All you need to do is not develop an ego or an attachment to your individual work, especially if it's practice fodder. And you'll be able to tell your mistakes pretty objectively. I mean if it looks good to you, it'll look good to normies who buy it. I may not be able to critique leonardo's work but nowadays art is for normies, so you got some breathing room when you're into your first years of work thankfully.
>>
>>2282395
No matter how good your portfolio may seem, knowing the right people in the industry is crucial to getting employed at the best place. You simply cannot get that from commissions self teaching.
>>
>>2282453
>2
> if it looks good to you, it'll look good to normies
This reasoning isn't wrong. It's generally right, but if you want to do more than cater to normies you're going to have to cater to art directors.
The best places have good art directors who can point out so many things that you never saw, considered, or were even aware of.
Self-teaching doesn't give you that judgment, experience, and taste. You're only working off of your own feedback.
A good, experienced teacher isn't required but will accelerate your learning greatly. That's what a good art education's for, accelerating your progress.
>>
>>2282453
are you Alex Konstad?
>>
>>2282264
ONLY if you're actually working hard alongside school work on your own and it's a decent school, use school as discipline and extra resource. Don't go to school to just do assignments and expect to be good when you graduate. Also if youre paying a lot, no it's not worth it no matter what
>>
No. Go to sakimichan's business school instead.
>>
>>2282455
Don't be stupid. If your work is bad/mediocre no "industry" people are going to bother with you.

Having high quality work is always going to be the icebreaker when it comes to talking to people. If they see you working hard and like your work they're going to be more responsive. If you're a low level pleb trolling for jobs they're going to write you off with the hundreds of other leeches that contact them every day. The level of your work should always be the focus. The rest will come as you put your work out there and interact with people, it takes years to develop contacts.

>>2282264
Most of what you get from school is crits, and some motivation. If you already have the motivation to do studies everyday along with personal work you may not need school. There are plenty of pros out there with online schools/IRL workshops that offer crits and instruction. Going to something like that will be a lot cheaper than college. You have to decide if having a 4 year college degree matters to you.
>>
File: 1443475552437.jpg (797KB, 748x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1443475552437.jpg
797KB, 748x1023px
>>2282264
In school they teach you things you don't want to do so that you have more skills and therefore be more hireable, but do you really want to do things you don't want to do? And pay to learn things you don't want to do? I'm talking about product advertising, package design, doing enviros (if you just want to do characters) or characters (if you only want to do enviros), still lives and portraits that only teach you to copy (do you want to work as a street artist drawing people on the street for $5?), writing long bullshit narratives, taking courses that have nothing to do with art. Of course there will be things they teach that you want to do, but you can do that on your own, in the comfort of your parents' basement.
>>
File: tumblr_nld3hvTRzs1rswum5o1_1280.png (1MB, 1280x763px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nld3hvTRzs1rswum5o1_1280.png
1MB, 1280x763px
>>2282395
>Art schools are useless - we have the internet now. There's so much knowledge, especially regarding to art, that it's a waste.
Wishful thinking.
>>
>>2282656
how is he so good guys ;_;
>>
>>2282682

you wont learn to swim in a paddling pool
>>
>>2282692
wut
>>
>>2282656
mike didn't go to artschool
>>2282682
he draws instead of shitposting on a website for mongolian comic books
>>
>>2282718
i draw too man, it just seems like is gonna take forever to reach him. dont get me wrong i like challenges and i enjoy the "journey". sometimes it can get a bit overwhelming though.
then again i have only been doing this for a bit more than a couple years.
>>
>>2282718
>mike didn't go to artschool
One of few self thaught artists
>>
>>2282757
even artists who went to school will tell you not to go to art school
>>
>>
>>2282767
>everytime
>>
>>2282757
Lots of artists are self taught. In the entertainment industry and illustration field I wouldn't be surprised if half of the working professionals were self taught.

>>2282763
This largely depends on the artist and the school. Someone like Sam Weber for example is a huge advocate of art school.
>>
>>2282264
Hi,

I'm head of human resources at a AAA game studio. We immediately filter out any creative applicants who don't have a degree or isn't actively pursuing one. Don't waste our time. School teaches artists to be real artists and that's who we're after, real artists.
>>
>>2282771
>Lots of artists are self taught
Name at least 25 artists
>>
>>2282795
you can't teach someone to be an artist. you can teach skills, but you can't teach creativity and motivation.
>>
>>2282829
>I didn't go to college
>>
>>2282837
i did, but you obviously didn't.
>>
>>2282839
If you say so, dropout
>>
>>2282841
I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class at FZD School of Design, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret concept art jobs at Hollywood, I have over 300 featured images on CA. I am trained in PS filters and I’m the top illustrator in the entire US art scene. You are nothing to me but just another blob of color. I will smudge you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of art directors and your IP is being traced right now you better prepare for the storm. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your art career. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can photobash you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in oils, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Photoshop texture brushes and I will use them to their full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price. I will shit lens flares all over you and you will drown in them. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
File: headline6718.jpg (7KB, 224x170px) Image search: [Google]
headline6718.jpg
7KB, 224x170px
I dont go to art school I go to art
>>
>>2282795

Of course you are, and I am John Stamos.

Pleased to meet you.
>>
>>2282610
wow that image is pure cringe
>>
>>2282767
the report seems somewhat biased, but still a great resource.
>>
>>2282656
Basically this. Kind of like what the other faggot said

>Most art students drop out not because they can't afford it, but simply because it gets in the way of their self teachings.

Obviously, it'd be nice to get some professional critique, but it shouldn't cost you 50 grand for someone to tell you that you suck and keep drawing.
>>
>>2282852
Highly underrated post
>>
>>2282293

Do you go there and are merely hoping that this is true?

Nobody, who is hiring, cares about what school you went to.

They care about whether or not they like your work and whether or not they can afford to pay you.
>>
>>2283158

first time I read through this entire post, and holy shit. I decided to do some snooping to see if it was really as bad as that, and it really is.
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/slade/shows/2014
>>
Being an artist for a living is already probably a waste of a life.

Enjoy selling shitty grade art work in exchange for peanuts. Being an artist is useless if you don't branch into something else as well, like a STEM science or creative writing. Even then you still have to work harder than the work-a-day joe schmoe to make a small fraction of what he does.

If you don't have the heart for that, and if you're a person who easily loses focus of their original goals, you'll probably not make it.

If you're a hipster or a dilettante, just give up now. You won't make it.
>>
>>2283197
STEM isn't something you just dip your toes into as a safety net. You have to be pretty exceptional to get decent work and if you aren't interested in the subject matter it's going to be pure torture.
>>
>>2283200
Obviously. I'm not even talking academically.

Just being a tinkerer in your basement provides a lot of inspiration. I'm tiring of seeing so many fucking artists with one-track minds, it's offensive. And their artwork is so fucking cliched and computerized. They know fucking shit.

Just stepping out of bounds and interacting with other fucking circles of interest, and braving being called the most infantile of insults (NERD!!), to me earns a lot of respect.

I dropped out of art school and I dropped out of animation school, and I have absolutely zero regrets. If you can't take even the most basic of risks in life, you're barely an artist, let alone an adult.
>>
>>2282264
no
>>
>>2282264
If you are young and it's free to go there why not. But there is a lot of other options, like mentorships, online courses etc I started to draw when i was 22 so it was harder for me with full time job. So i found an art teacher online so it works really well, at least for me.
>>
See which courses your community college has that you are interested in.

They're relatively cheap classes, just pay for them in full up front like 150-250, and ignore your grades and the books/supplies your teachers want you to buy that tack on extra bs costs because you're just their for the lectures and pointers the teacher will give you regardless of which supplies you show up with. (obviously you don't bring just a pencil to a painting class, but if your teacher wants you to buy expensive oils and you show up with cheap acrylics it is not going to matter unless your teacher is a complete asshole).

Try to make friends, have a good time, and network a little. If you like a class and feel you didn't get all you could out of it take it again or the follow up course.

It's better to take only classes you like and need while being able to drop out debt free whenever you want than being constantly annoyed to keep your grades up in classes you don't give a fuck about just to get a worthless degree nobody gives a fuck about with tens of thousands of dollars in debt.

Really the only reason to graduate is if you plan on getting a 4+ year degree and teaching art at a high school or some shit because it will not help you get a studio job, publisher, etc.
>>
>>2282264
Only if you want to give it your everything no matter the cost. With the internet there is a lot more access to talented artists now.

The smart choice is to make it your hobby and only if opportunity strike and when you have another education to fall back on, should you strike.
>>
>>2282610
I must chime in that this is the case

If you go to a design school, which =/= art school.

Think SVA=/=Cooper Union
>>
>>2283213
Don't listen to retards like this, who have had no actual experience with art school and base their opinions on memes shared on 4chan.

Art school is what you make it. I would not recommend going into debt for a degree. If you don't have the cash to fund your education, or the portfolio to get a scholarship, don't go.

If you do go, make the most of it. This isn't the time to party and chase tail and skip class, it's the time to hunker down and focus on your art. Take advantage of the time you have there.

Art school provides a lot of things that you won't get anywhere else, outside of a really well-funded co-op. Access to printmaking facilities, bronze-casting facilities, one-on-one instruction, an on campus-gallery with rotating work by professional artists, instruction on the business and gallery side of being a professional artist, a creative environment where you can find inspiration from and bounce ideas off of other aspiring artists, art history courses from people with doctorates in the field, etc. etc.

If you can fund your education, do it, do it. If you can't, work on that portfolio and try for scholarships later on, or choose another path that doesn't involve art school. Art school isn't necessary, but it can be a huge boost.
>>
>>2284553
>Art school is what you make it
This.

For every retard that graduates fine art by pooping in a can there's ten anon's who spent his money failing to study as a neet.

For any anon wanting to get into the industry, just go and make a visit at your local studio and ask the artists what their history is.
>>
>>2284553

>Be 24
>Have Associate in Fine Arts
>Want to go to SCAD
>Driving semis (55k to 63k yrly) to save up to get bachelor's in animation
>After 3 years of working starting next yr and saving about 75% of my income for 3 yrs to pay for it
>Will still have to take out a 10k loan maybe
>I just want to make art for a living, it is my calling
>Your thoughts on my plans?
>>
>>2284648

You could try 2d.cgmaster or online schools.
>>
>>2284648
I hope you're painting right now lol
>>
>>2284701

>Painting in my semi while barreling across Eastern Texas and texting at the same time
>Do you even multitask brah!

I try to draw at least 2 hrs to 3 daily when I get down with the day.
>>
>>2283182
Ah, I heard Slade was one of the best art schools in Britian. Is the Ruskin any good? I've heard Anatomy class is compulsory.
>>
>>2284648
Take that 10k loan, fake your death and buy a new identity and start over.
>>
>>2283182
Yeah, If you want any course that favours drawing skills and good draftsmanship (or at least good narrative skills) you have to look at Illustration/Animation courses, not Fine Art.

>That Swamp Thing is pretty cool
>it's a found image
mfw
>>
>>2284711

Lol what?
>>
>>2284669
As someone who's taking CGMA classes right now, I wouldn't really recommend them. Lessons are okay but I'm taking separate instructors so they differ in teaching methods and it can get confusing. Critiques probably depend per instructor, but I literally had a critique video where my instructor left it recording while he left to answer the door somewhere else, then forgot to actually finish the video and submitted that. I feel like there's little drive to get work done so if your like me and need a class setting to motivate you then look elsewhere. If you can work without that, then save the money and watch gnoman videos instead.

>>2284615
This is basically me as well, though I'm 23 and going to AC for Entertainment Design. Though I'm only doing part time gig work and depending on finaid to get me through the first year. If you can get through it with only 10k in loans I'd say it's worth it, you could easily pay that off with your current job if you can't find work right out of graduation. I'd say do it man.
>>
>>2284819

Trucker anon here, thanks, if I can get finaid and scholarships, I might actually have excess money after its said and done, I just dont know if Id be able to make a living is what scares me, but, I do have a back up plan that pays well, so I'll jump on it.
>>
>>2283197
That's a lot of projection and rationalization.

There's thousands of artists only had art as their career and lived more successful and fulfilling lives than you ever will.
>>
File: 1399768094353.png (883KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1399768094353.png
883KB, 1280x720px
>>2283200
This so much.

>if you aren't interested in the subject matter it's going to be pure torture.
Especially this part
>>
File: wtf.png (455KB, 1005x726px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
455KB, 1005x726px
>>2283182
>http://www.ucl.ac.uk/slade/shows/2014

LMAO
>>
>>2282767
Here's Bradley's full article: https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/dont-go-to-art-school-138c5efd45e9
>>
>>2282767
>cotsco
>>
>>2282767
Ugh ... is this really who we're supposed to look up to people who make art that is basically just giant piles of technique layered over the masturbatory fantasies of middle schoolers? ffs why would I even want to be a grown man who thinks making video games is a good thing to be? Might as well just stay in my old bedroom and play videogames all day.
>>
>>2282311
dubs speak the truth. do art as a hobby. even try to make a little money on the side doing commissions or patreon once you get a big enough following. but don't rely on art for your primary income. you'll be poor, miserable and depressed.

inb4 someone brings up mullins or jones or sakimi. outliers are the exception, not the rule.
>>
>>2288741

whenever i read posts like this i always picture some fat dumb plebeian pointing his stinky finger at rembrandt and yelling 'haha look at that manchild painting ghouls and dragons hahahaha what a fucking nerd grow up dude'
>>
>>2284919
>thousands
>out of 6 billion people on earth.

sounds about right.

>>2283200
>you have to be pretty exceptional
I graduated stem, and I wouldn't say you have to be exceptional, just competent. And I don't find the material terribly interesting, but I wouldn't say it was torture either.

When I look at you guys busting your balls doing 10-20 hours work to make the same amount of money I can make in about 30 minutes (not including drive time), I feel sorry for you. Art is fun, but why anyone would choose to make it their primary career makes me wonder about their mental state. Are you all masochists?
>>
>>2288747

Is that you Tek?
>>
>>2288755
Huh? People mostly like Rembrandt's portraits, history and landscape paintings, not "ghouls and dragons". Also if you think Rembrandt's stuff is reducible to the cover of a YA fantasy novel then ... yo, read more books, cause there's some major gaps in your education.
>>
>>2288757
>When I look at you guys busting your balls doing 10-20 hours work to make the same amount of money I can make in about 30 minutes (not including drive time)

Assuming I believe you, which I don't because you're using the term "stem" (a common /Ic/ meme) rather than saying the type of job you're working, this argument could be made for the majority of people working today. For most people the reality is boring office job, menial labor or some other shit thing. If the option is that or spend your life working hard but doing art the answer is a no brainer.

The fact you don't see that also makes me highly doubt you are smart enough for stem and are infact some troll living in your moms basement. .
>>
>>2288757
People do art because they love it. Rather than getting into a job they don't like and being unhappy never knowing what they could have achieved with an art degree, they'd rather do what they love and be happy doing it. Even if that came at the expense of money.

Money doesn't buy happiness, in ten years you'll probably wish you'd followed your dreams.
>>
>>2289491
The fuck it doesnt. Thats what peasants have been telling themselves for centuries in order to stay sane while witnessing lords spend unbelievable amounts of money daily.

Get through your peasant frame of mind, and start seeing how you're being fucked by the system faggot.
>>
Is fzd worth it?
>>
>>2289710

lol at you if you are even asking that question.
>>
>>2289695
you're gonna be just as fucked if you put yourself in a job that you hate even if it pays well.

spending 8 hours a day doing something you don't like every day for 40 years isn't good either. even if the pay is good, you're giving away like a third of your entire life your have on this earth just to make another third of it slightly more enjoyable. if you're getting fucked out of money by doing a badly paying fun job, then you're getting fucked out of your soul by doing a well paying boring job
>>
>>2289695
materialistic pleasure =/= happiness
>>
>>2289858
>if you put yourself in a job that you hate

I honestly can not think of one single "job" that I would not hate if I were forced to do it 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 40 years. Even drawing, which I love, *as a hobby*, I would begin to hate if it were something I were forced to do.

Even if the job were flying fighter jets, or playing video games, even if it were sex with hot babes. When someone tells you "you must do this and nothing else for 8 hours," the fun is gone. Too much of a good thing ruins it, and that's what a job is.

Wait, there is one job that would never get tiring for me, it's called, "Sit around and do whatever the fuck i feel like, whenever I feel like doing it." Yeah, endless variety, no boredom, but unfortunately no one is hiring.

I contend that no matter what you do, eventually it will get tedious and boring. With that in mind, the best course of action is to get the job that pays the most, so you can have the resources and leisure time to comfortably pursue what you actually enjoy.
>>
>>2290042
>do whatever the fuck i feel like, whenever I feel like doing it.

This is basically what it is to have your own business. I sell crafts and prints to several venders and make a decent buck on my spare time just by making shit that interests me. Of course it's harder to do that go make a living but I know some people that do. Being your own boss can be very rewarding, but of course at the price of putting up with higher risk.
>>
1. Study Graphic Design
2. Study art in your own
3. Congratulations
>>
>>2283022
You were awesome in Full House.
>>
>>2290055

Sounds good in theory, but once you actually start trying to support yourself on something that unstable and iffy, you realize that the stress of never being certain that you'll be able to make rent next month completely eclipses the fun of "doing whatever the fuck you feel like."

Turns out our parents were right: it's much better to get a real job and pursue art as a hobby if you're into it. I'm not even the guy you're replying to, I just agree.
>>
>>2288741
You're creating a product.

Worrying about what it means to create "art" all the time will either be incredibly depressing (see: /lit/'s bitterness) or turn into a big circle-jerk before long.

Of course nobody actually needs fucking video games. Not your problem. Just do your job and be professional about it and then later you can say you managed to avoid becoming a cubicle jockey.
>>
>>2290175
>what is saving

Grow up, anon. Learn to plan your life and budget. Had a good month? Save up for the bad. ICPfuckingmoneyhowdoesitwork.jpg
>>
File: cross stitching.jpg (111KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
cross stitching.jpg
111KB, 960x720px
Art school is great for networking, you can't go in expecting a job when graduating (same for any school) and art school has the potental to teac you the skills to be a great artist. But even the teachers admit when you press them hard enough that it doesn't matter where you go to school, companoies rarely care about education. Its the portfolio, technical knowledge, who you know in the industry, and the experience the lands you a job in the industry.
>>
>>2283158

this isn't any different than the average IC user.
>>
Does the majority of /ic/ just want to be concept artists or graphic designers or something? I rarely see anyone who aspires to get their art into juried exhibitions or solo shows.
>>
>>2292435
Most of IC wants to do art for a living so the conversations skew toward what the uninformed masses of IC see as the most obvious career paths, concept art for games, Illustration work for card games and rpg's. It seems a lot of people focus on only doing the type of work they can get hired for..

>>2292243
>Art school is great for networking
Most people going to art school won't get that benefit. So few people who graduate actually end up working in an art related field the chances of you knowing someone who can get you work is slim to nil. Unless you go to a school specifically that has teachers who are industry people or has a high rate of graduates working in an art field you'd get better networking out of social media and conventions. Schools with good networking are going to be the minority of art programs and you should really do your research before going to school for an art degree.
>>
>>2282264
depends on if youre a faggot or not.
>>
File: Got my BFA did, fam!.png (727KB, 894x1102px) Image search: [Google]
Got my BFA did, fam!.png
727KB, 894x1102px
>>2292435
>exhibitions or solo shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9lmvX00TLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9skl9nijPM

>>2292533
>people that want to be proficient in imaginative realism and sylization are manchildren
>people that rub spaghetti all over their body and take pictures of themselves with cans of beans on their head are adults with a profound sense of self-expression

I'd suggest the people that genuinely believe this kill themselves, but most of them are inconsequential art graduates who will live in poverty for the rest of their lives due to crushing debt anyway.
>>
>>2289695
Dude, are you going to pay the mortgage and feed your family of three kids?

When I got my first paycheck I was like

>Wow, this money is all mine. I can do whatever the fuck I want with it. It belongs to me.

And I started buying chinese cartoon dolls and fapping to them because I had money.
>>
>>2292652
>imaginative realism and stylization

convoluted description for speedpainting and anime doesn't make you any less of a pleb
>>
File: 2132844-darkknightrises20111201.jpg (29KB, 425x640px) Image search: [Google]
2132844-darkknightrises20111201.jpg
29KB, 425x640px
>>2292654

>pollock and duchamp derivatives exclusively for decades on end
>art
>so deep
>too deep
>for you
>>
>>2292652
>>2292654
>>2292660

/ic/ seems to lose the whole picture about art: Selling pencil portraits and watercolor paintings to your neighbours for as much as 900 bucks.

Your digital speedpaintings and animu shit are nothing but a waste of your time.
>>
File: 1429678678086.jpg (171KB, 640x538px) Image search: [Google]
1429678678086.jpg
171KB, 640x538px
>>2292660
Kill yourself my man; the only person that would miss you is your debt collector anyway.
>>
>>2292652
>instantly coming off as this defensive
How are those job offers and commissions going
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (200KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
200KB, 1000x750px
>>2292670
>implying I want a job as an aritst

I'm not chinese or a photobasher. I'm also not a mouth-breathing, chain-smoking sycophant with saucer tits and a unibrow that still finds artists that have been aping Picasso, Pollock and Duchamp for 100 years as anything other than the pretentious derivative phonies that they really are.
>>
>>2292668
i'm not in debt lol
>>
>>2282311
>>2288747

This also what I would recommend. Do art as a hobby and it will be much more fun in that way.

I do theoretical/computational physics as a day job, and I would say that it is at least as interesting as doing art. And, I don't need to worry about job market situation or income.

I'm not very good at art yet, but I take all the fun of learning new without pressure about deadline, income, or such.
>>
>>2292799
>but I take all the fun of learning new without pressure about deadline, income, or such.

no worries about deadlines brah, bc there is no work
>>
File: 4086-original-hellerich.jpg (1MB, 1400x1980px) Image search: [Google]
4086-original-hellerich.jpg
1MB, 1400x1980px
>>2283182
This is just painful
>>
I always had the mental image that animation school is probably the "most worth it" out of art schools. Right?
>>
>>2294041
Really depends on the school.
>>
>>2292665
/thread
>>
File: Capturebadart.png (516KB, 490x734px) Image search: [Google]
Capturebadart.png
516KB, 490x734px
>>2283182
Lyndsey Gilmour everybody! She even have received a ton of awards!
>I work with both familiar and unfamiliar hand-held objects of which I paint from observation. My poetic language towards the objects drives the composition and form that my paintings and installations take; where the objects sit in relation to one another and the space they occupy is vital. With an interest in the three-dimensional objects and the two-dimensionality of painting, I play with flatness and form, the shadow and the ephemeral, in order to confuse the viewer as to what is a given reality and what is created.
>>
>>2283182
Oh, for shit's sake.
>>
>>2282656
He's right tho. In general you can teach yourself anything using just the internet and books. For example, I'm a high school dropout and I'm making $60k a year doing software development. You can really do anything if you put your mind to it.
>>
>>2288071
I'm scared Anon I don't know what I want to do with my life and I don't have any dreams or friends so I chose STEM studies to at least have a bit of comfort money but I just don't like it at all.
>>
>>2296383
Well, it's a rational decision. In actuality not many people make a living out of doing what they love, and that can be okay.

You can "work to live" and not "live to work".
>>
>>2295717
this hurts my brain
>>
>>2282395
>art schools are useless - we have the internet now
Keep in mind the people writing things like this are also the people who proclaim that they were really smart in high school, but were just an underachiever and probably dropped out because they thought they could learn more on the internet than in a school.
>>
>>2284648
SCAD is a SCAM bro
they accept literally anyone
>>
>>2290132
Don't do this. Artists who force themselves to major in GD are the same as those who force themselves into STEM fields. You'll hate your work and the money and jobs aren't as available as you think they are.
>>
>>2292652
>all exhibitions are uninformed shitty abstractions
>an exhibition or solo show is the same thing as a student's performance piece
Are you willfully this ignorant? Seriously, why would you only look for things like this that back up your close minded view of what art school teaches or is about?

This is more what I'm talking about.

http://bmoreart.com/2015/04/silent-interiors.html

http://bmoreart.com/2013/03/ian-maclean-davis-reviews-paul-jeanes-the-clearing-at-rosenberg-gallery.html

I don't even know why I'm replying to you, you clearly don't want a discussion.
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.