[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Joy of Painting. Inspiration.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 17

File: nomistakes.jpg (32KB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
nomistakes.jpg
32KB, 275x275px
With the appearance of Bob Ross' The Joy of Painting series on twitch reaching +200k views peak it might have inspider many people who have not had any experience with are or abbandoned it at some point in their lives.

I myself used to sketch alot of portraits but for some reason I haven't touched the pencil in over 5 years.

Last week, during the marathon I fell sick and I happend to rewatch almost all of the show. The overall positivity and ease in which he hosted these shows striked me greatly and I've finally decided to renew my love in art once again.

Are any of you guys familiar with Bob Ross' technique? Do you have any recomendations on how to get the oil paints for a good price in Europe (Poland specificly)? Would you recomend starting off with a small canvas to get used to everything? I have no idea of indicating a "good" paint from a crappy one? Are the Bob Ross' oil paints sold on Amazon ok?
>>
Winter is coming
>>
File: BallKrwne.jpg (146KB, 387x566px) Image search: [Google]
BallKrwne.jpg
146KB, 387x566px
You just gotta feel it.
>>
>>2279790
google, sticky
>>
My dad allowed me to use my grandfather's painting supplies to start painting. Also found some Bob Ross books. Should I see if I could scan them somehow?
>>
bump?
>>
>inspider many people

terrifying
>>
>>2282661
Imagine waking up as a spider after the marathon ended.
>>
File: bidoofisonfiyah-1[1].jpg (50KB, 800x537px) Image search: [Google]
bidoofisonfiyah-1[1].jpg
50KB, 800x537px
>no bob ross in over a week
>>
>>2283085
Twitch is actually doing mini-marathons every Monday now.
>>
File: 1439525869467.jpg (46KB, 498x607px) Image search: [Google]
1439525869467.jpg
46KB, 498x607px
>>2283124
yeah but it's only thursday
>>
>>2283128
Download the episodes yourself. I'm actually starting painting very soon, got my pallet knifes and other supplies on the way.
>>
File: bob-ross.png (68KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
bob-ross.png
68KB, 236x236px
I'll have to double check but I've been watching episodes from a channel on Youtube. They have several seasons.

As far as technique goes, I want to try but I have shitty acrylics and no budget to get oils. Acrylics aren't terrible, but these ones are old. When I think about it, they're probably from my grandpa's kit, he did a lot of painting before he died in '98, some of it probably inspired by Bob Ross. Could show one we have in the house.

>what is Bob Ross painting for /ic/?
>>
>>2283141
What? Your story sounds similar to mine. My grandpa died in 2001 and I've just been re-arranging my grandfather's painting kit. Loads and loads of brushes. Found some Bob Ross books too.
>>
>>2281820
>>2283148

Why are all of our grandfathers dead painters.
It sucks in a cool way.
>>
>>2283150
My grandfather painted, drew and was interested in typography. God loads of stuff here. Only thing I needed to buy was pallet knives.
>>
And yet, the first sort of landscape I did recently is an abstract of a mountain. Or it's just bullshit.
>>
File: DSC_0002.jpg (915KB, 3104x1746px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0002.jpg
915KB, 3104x1746px
>>2283150
This is the stuff I've been cleaning up.. lost of dusty brushes, but he's got loads of stuff.
>>
>>2283174
>Speedball Pen Nibs
I'm also taking a sequential art class so I kinda know about those.
>>
>>2283179
I honestly have no idea what some of this stuff is, but that's okay.
>>
>>2283181
Speedball as far as I know is just a big company for pen nibs, unless the name denotes a specific kind of nib, then I have seen it recommended for subtitles in comics.

Enough about that though, I spy a smallish palette with wells. I have slowly started to hate mine because of how limiting those wells get. I'd prefer a huge flat one like ross used (and, in fact, have one).
>>
>>2283174
>all unused
No
Your father wasn't a painter
He wanted to be a painter
But now he's dead
You have his tools now don't become like him. You have only one life to live
Go paint anon
>>
>>2283199
*grandfather

Also, not all of them are unused, he just had some brushes still in package.
>>
>>2283174
Me again. I just found my grandfather's Bob Ross' painting box. It's almost empty. Pallet knifes are gone etc. He used 80% of his Titanium White. Hmm
>>
>>2279790
Download his one hour series of paintings, they go much further in depth than Bob can on his regular show because of time constraints holding him back.

>Joy of Painting - Bob Ross - Instructional Series
>>
File: DSC_0003.jpg (2MB, 3104x1746px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0003.jpg
2MB, 3104x1746px
>>2283702
Just found his easel and inside of it I found:
>>
File: DSC_0004.jpg (2MB, 3104x1746px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0004.jpg
2MB, 3104x1746px
>>2283709
And
>>
>>2283710
Nice a 2" brush, give it a proper clean and it's as good as new.
>>
>>2283715
Yeah, cleaning it as we speak. I'm getting a new one tomorrow, just recently found this. Ah well.
>>
>>2283717
Having two might actually come in handy though.
>>
File: DSC_0005.jpg (2MB, 3104x1746px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0005.jpg
2MB, 3104x1746px
>>2283719
Found these too
>>
>>2283723
Nice, they're not kidding about the many photos either. The books match up with each season, so volume twenty lines up with season 20.

After each episode Bob would go home and paint the same painting again at his own pace and have every step photographed.

Download the above mentioned torrent too, they're great instructionals when getting started.
>>
>>2283729
These?
>>
>>2283731
Yes! Happy painting and Bob bless.
>>
>>2283732
Just found a big used tube of Titanium White.
>>
File: bobmeme.jpg (34KB, 266x266px) Image search: [Google]
bobmeme.jpg
34KB, 266x266px
>Bob has already been forgotten
>>
File: DSC_0006.jpg (1MB, 3104x1746px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0006.jpg
1MB, 3104x1746px
>>2284683
Implying.. my weekends are dedicated to him.
>>
>>2284696
nice, if you're sticking to it I applaud you
I get tired of physical media, digital is great for lazies like me
>>
>>2284683
>Bob
>Forgotten

He returns every monday for another season, it's like he never left.
>>
Stream started again, season two for those interested.
>>
>>2286763
ty
>>
>>2279790

Why are all these posts about Bob Ross come from?

Did he die again or something?
>>
>>2286787
Go ahead and re-read the OP.
>>
>>2286787
After the Amazon acquisition, Twitch used a Bob Ross marathon to pitch their service as a "creator live" outlet in addition to game streaming.

It was a big hit and they've decided to stream a season every monday.
>>
2 Questions:
What do I do with thinner? Does a half bucket last a whole painting? Do I use it for multiple paintings? How do I know when to change it out?

2: How do I keep my clouds from picking up too much blue and becoming washed out into the background? I've tried, and can do storm clouds and the like just fine, but plain white fluffy clouds elude me.
>>
Can you recommend som od Bob Ross style of tutorial but with watercolors?
>>2279790
>Poland specificly
a czego anon sie spodziewasz? Przeciez wszedzie farbt olejne kosztuja pieniadze, olso pokaz coś fajnego
>>
Just started painting, it isn't as easy as Bob makes it look, but he's right that you can fix mistakes aka little happy accidents.
>>
>>2279790
Bob Ross's technique is based on overlapping things over eachother to create the illusion of depth. It's intended as a fun way to pass the time but it will never teach you to do stuff like pic related.
>>
>>2290262
I personally see Ross as an introduction to oil painting desu. Besides, to be able to do paintings like the one you posted, you'd also need to know/learn how to draw.
>>
>>2290262
The overlapping for depth is just a natural part even in reality. There's no technique, it's just the nature of things.

Your pic while nice, falls prey to make pitfalls in composition that any experienced painter can see within a moment.
>>
>>2290262
If you have halfway decent observational skills, then you can do stuff like that.
>>
>>2290277
has it though? the frame within a frame is leading the eye well, and honestly the light and shadows on the left are a secondary if not primary focal point. It's pretty clear how they put down lots of effort on that part whereas the overhanging branches on the right are subdued. They wanted to capture the winter and the snow and they put focus on that, the characters are almost tertiary.The only thing I react over is I think the americans don't stand out enough, they're in shadow when they probably would be lit up like heck, or at least behind them. And also, the fallen tree looks like it's floating in the air.
>>
>>2290790
The framing with the frame is something that's always bothered me in composition. It doesn't feel authentic and is basically babbies first lesson in composition. Idk. It's just a dull technique imo.
>>
>>2279790
> inspider
Not going to lie, I'd love to see Bob Ross paint a cute spider.
>>
>>2291131
That's just like, your opinion, man.

http://uploads7.wikiart.org/images/alma-tadema-lawrence/antony-and-cleopatra-1883.jpg
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.