[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need Advice But Don't Feel It's Good For /adv/

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Gideon.jpg (168KB, 960x560px) Image search: [Google]
Gideon.jpg
168KB, 960x560px
I'm 24. I REALLY want to get into digital art, I'm already learning.

1.) Do I go into an art school for 4 years here in Ontario? We've got OCAD and Sheridan, basically. Are they even worth it?

2.) I have the option of learning programming and getting a web development job for a few years while I try to git gud for an art job. I get to save money for the future, but not relevant to art at all.

3.) Or I can ditch any kind of job and just devote myself full-time to working on my art. Quickest way I will get to a professional level but I have no money.

My parents are ready to pay for University. I live with them, no housing issues or money issues for art supplies/online teaching.

What would YOU do?
>>
OCAD and Sheridan are barely worth it if it's a full ride but don't expect something even close to on par with a high end school. Only good thing Sheridan has is open lifedrawing and the animation program. Illustration is a fucking joke and the fundies course is a cash grab.
>>
>>2246336

So if the schools here are shit (not willing to move somewhere else for 4 years either)

Would you pick option 2 or 3?
>>
>>2246334
>2.) I have the option of learning programming and getting a web development job for a few years

ABSOLUTELY FUCKING DO THAT. THERE'S ZERO MONEY IN DIGITAL ART. DON'T LISTEN TO THE IDIOTS WHO ENCOURAGE YOU. HOBBY ONLY HOBBY ONLY HOBBY ONLY.

programming in particular is THE SINGLE BEST CAREER PATH available right now. don't be like me. don't throw your life away.
>>
>>2246340
I live in Ontario and don't know dick about programming. I worked in a factory job that paid a stupid amount for my age at the time (19-20). I was making 2700-4000 depending on overtime and this is without a college degree. I used this money to fund a rig for 3D and some online courses like CGMA and gnomon so that I could go NEET mode. I reccommend option 2 but you're going to be too drained to do art and improve at a marginal rate compared to going NEET mode. I'm currently going NEET mode and my parents are letting me stay at home for free.
>>
>>2246343

bud if I thought like this I would have taken the scholarship handed to me for Waterloo Electrical Engineering

I don't give a flying fuck about doing jobs that are boring, whatever their benefits are

I don't live life like that, and I never will. I'd rather be poor as fuck and draw than rich and do shit I have no joy in.

>>2246344

I'll most likely go option 2 unless someone here convinces me otherwise, but yeah definitely option 3 is the best improvement path.
>>
any more advice for me?
>>
>>2246349
Yeah, you only live once. A lot of people see life as a competition where you're supposed to do better than other people somehow, then they look back and realize it was more like a party and they missed it. I'd suggest you just do what you'd enjoy most.

The number one thing that's going to make you a better artist is a strong work ethic. Practice shitloads all the time, practice INTELLIGENTLY (have a specific thing you're trying to learn at all times, always push yourself outside of your comfort zone). Art schools in general are shit. A few of them will give you a very demanding workload and help you develop a strong work ethic, but you can get that on your own, and they really don't help much beyond that, and most don't even go that far. You'll probably find that's the consensus on this board: Art schools are a waste.
>>
>>2247040
In don't think people realize that art isn't competitive. Shitty commercial art is, but everyone else is doing such varied things that the only competition you have most of the time is yourself.
>>
>>2246334
How does someone render so beautifully like the artist who made OP's pic?
>>
Programming, because it's your parent's money, and I can't suggest with a clear conscience that you throw it away on an art program.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.