[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning to Manga

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

File: blade-soul-Kim-Hyung-Tae.jpg (81KB, 720x459px) Image search: [Google]
blade-soul-Kim-Hyung-Tae.jpg
81KB, 720x459px
Hi guys. So I've recently come to the conclusion that I want to learn to draw, my chief inspiration being Kim Hyung-tae. The thing is that I'm in my early thirties, and have absolutely no experience with art whatsoever. I would even say that I don't really have a very good concept of what it takes to be a proficient artist.

So I was hoping you could give me your honest opinions on this. Am I too old to learn to do this? Is there a talent ceiling, or do you feel that this can be mastered with enough practice and determination? Anyone with a similar experience?

Your input would be very much appreciated.
>>
>Am I too old to learn to do this? Is there a talent ceiling,
No
>or do you feel that this can be mastered with enough practice and determination *and studying?
Yes
/thread
>>
The fact that you're reading too much into this and questioning it all is why a lot of people don't pursue anything in life. You want to learn something stop thinking and start doing.
>>
>>1822820
have you ever done anything similar? (something that requires a huge amount of dedication)
because even though you say you know it takes "practice", you may not know what you're in for.
you'll be shit for months/years depending on your talent, and you may hit a plateau and be stuck there forever.

if you want to start it as a hobby, just go right ahead.
if you want to get good though, get a sketchbook, draw A LOT, and do some of the academic practices as well.
>>
Thank you kindly for your feedback, guys.
>>
If you have no experience with drawing whatsoever read "drawing on the right side of the brain" (and really read it as well as doing the excercises). After that, try stuff like "fun with a pencil", "the villpu drawing manual", etc... See the sticky for more.
>>
>>1824925
>drawing on the right side of the brain
As a newfag i started with "fun with a pencil". I thought this is to start with. It it worth to do "drawing on the right side of the brain" afterwards?
>>
>>1824928
I say your time would be better spent going through scott robertson's How to Draw.
>>
>>1824934
>recommending a completely different book
do you even know what drawing on the right side of the brain is for?
>>
>>1824957
I know what it's for, but at his stage of learning I think he would be better off studying perspective rather than reading a psychology book. I could just as easily recommend that he go through loomis' books or something.
>>
>>1824975
>a psychology book
>>
>>1822820

manhwa =/= manga
>>
File: 1337188486808.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1337188486808.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>>1824978

Psychology book? It's not even that. There's no such thing as a right brain that you can suddenly awaken. You could as well read a book on chakra theory and try to awaken your mystical third eye.

>>1824998

Pic related.
>>
>>1822820
I like his coloring style, any giude how to make similar?
>>
>>1825007

I'm not trying to bait I'm trying to educate you
>>
>>1825007
the book is not just about that bullshit. in fact, you can just take that part out and all her points are still relevant from a drawing point of view.
the book explains what it means to draw what you see (as opposed to symbol drawing) and that's pretty much all the book does.

there is a reason why this is a recommended beginners book. heck, 95% of all the posts in the beginner thread are shit because they fail to understand how important it is to measure things accurately.
>>
If you're in your early 30s and have zero artistic experience you're pretty much fucked. All kids draw. The kids with talent are the ones who don't stop.
>>
OP is probably already aware that Kim Hyung-tae is not a japanese name.
>>
>>1824998
Pretty meaningless difference when talking about artstyle when the only difference it denotes is place of origin. Flawed argument even since "manga" is not a real artstyle, and neither is Kim Hyung-tae doing manhwa.
>>
File: 2vvcrayq.jpg (10KB, 205x240px) Image search: [Google]
2vvcrayq.jpg
10KB, 205x240px
>female warrior
>half naked

you have no idea how much this pisses me off in vydia
>>
>>1825053
ok we get it, ur a gamer grill. no one cares.
>>
>>1825065
Not that anon but imo making a character half naked is a copout in design and fucking boring.

Its not a case of "muh patriarchy" or "muh realism" , I just find fancy armor and clothing a lot more appealing than skin
>>
>>1825069
i like to clothed sex, too.
>>
File: yougotme.jpg (16KB, 303x312px) Image search: [Google]
yougotme.jpg
16KB, 303x312px
>>1825088
my initial point still stands
>>
>>1825065

That has nothing to do with the thread, but even in fantasy settings, design should makes some sense.
She's an assassin with dark/stealthy clothes, she shouldn't show her flesh like that because it attracts attention.

> I bet that the final design gave her more clothes and we're all crying over nothing.
>>
>>1825065
Or he has taste.
>>
>>1825123
yeah well, why do ogres always have to be half-naked, then?
use your brain, you wench.
>>
>>1825144
human warfare for a long part of it's history has been fought mostly/fully nude. ogres are primitives so it kind of makes sense, although really if they lived among humans who wear advanced metal armor it's a bit weird.

i guess female warriors could be dressed like that sensibly, but they would probably also be freaky cavewoman which isn't usually considered sexy
>>
>>1825149
it's not even about being primitive (though bitches are dumb), women dress to impress. they wear skirts and dresses because they are cute and guys love it. while in the context of a medieval game it doesn't make sense, the fantasy was created for male audience, so it makes perfect sense for a female to look as attractive as she possibly can. gamer bitches don't grasp this, because they're bitches. white knight chime in and support. contrarians troll. actually, non-gamers also support grills because they don't even play games, so they don't get the fun aspect.
>>
>>1825144

May have to do with the fact that they are primitive fighters. I have nothing against the amazon in chainmail bikini trope. It's not like Conan is not half-naked all the time.

But assassins? Nah. Just imagine Assassin's Creed if the hero was running half-naked in the street.
>>
>>1825442
Alladin. a bum running (almost) half naked in the streets.
>>
>>1825442
except he's wearing white, that's essentially your argument of attracting attention. being butt naked would actually camouflage more in dark.
>>
This argument about female warriors or in OP image, a ninja, is stupid since most depictions of ninja are historically inaccurate anyway. They never wore fucking mesh and masks and all that nonsense. All that is folklore that's became common belief. They fucking blended in with the servants until they had a chance to get to their targets. And a female ninja would have became a concubine or something in order to get to her target as most female assassins worldwide obtained access to their targets via sex/sexual persuasion. So being half naked would have been a draw in for her.
And on the subject of warriors, women warriors have been documented to have fought in the nude, partially nude, bearing their breasts, and wearing shear garments.
Also it's a fucking video who fucking cares they're supposed to design shit like this. Flashy, sexy, eye catching shit for their target audience.
Fucking christ people gripe about everything now.
>>
>>1825033
Yea, its a book that teaches important fundamentals that you wont learn just blanking your mind out while drawing ellipses and squares (no disrespct to Scot R, his book is great too)

I tended to avoid it until we needed it for my class, now I have a bit more respect for the book.
>>
>>1822820
Here's what you need to be a good artist, aside of how intelligent and perceptive you are (a.k.a. "talent"), perfecting art and any other craft is more about practicing the right things, learning from the right materials and places, and dedicating as much time as you can. Kim Hyung-tae, like any other seasoned artist, has been studying, practicing, performing and thinking about art for a life time, and to be as good as him, you need to do the same, he wasn't born with asian super powers as popular beliefs dictate, and even if he had, the funny thing about "talent" is that if you don't work to get it, it never shows up, it's not a magic shorcut to greatness, it's just pursuing your interest passionately.
So, to sum it up.
>Stay here, It's one of the best guilds of artist you can find on the web, people tend to be douchy, but they can give some pretty neat insight in anything art related, just lurking will do the trick if you don't want to deal with assholes.

>Dedicate every waking hour to your craft, read about art, learn about art, practice and perform art, sell your soul to art, it's the only way you can truly progress and be satisfied, the sticky and w/ic/i has everything you need, videos and books alike, wathever is not there, people will talk about it here.

>Control your emotions and focus on your goal, you won't believe how many artists have quit for being afraid and depressed over a number of things like not getting instant reward or not studying and bitching about how they don't progress, get rid of that shit and draw.

>Seriously, draw! progress happens in your paper.

>Don't be a poser, there are a lot of dweebs that fantasize about being kim jung gi and doing super cool art but don't put the effort to make it happen, needless to say they stay misserable and mediocre, so if you ever wan't to be good, you need to take it seriously, it might be a exaggerated stance, but it's true, Hyung-tae isn't a hobbyst that draws whenever he feels like it.
>>
>>1827141
Not him but I never read that book nor fun with a pencil, I jumped straight to Hampton, Vilppu, Proko, Sycra, and recently, Scott robertson.
Just by reading the comments of other anons talking about every fundamental aspect of art was enough for me to wrap my mind around the concepts and dive into them, of course you need to study and practice and shit, but dedicating so much time to master methods of drawing and thinking that will be reduced to a infinitesimal fraction of everything you'll need to learn to truly know how to draw, seems a bit frustrating to me, better to start doing what's worth it.
Of course, if you have or had trouble grasping the concepts explored on that book it's only logical to study it profusely, doesn't mean everyone should, Op will be the one to decide that with the help of his and /ic/'s judgement.
>>
>>1827185
It's all about having the fundamentals anon, it's good that you managed to find what you wanted/need on the fly, but for me personally my practice felt like it was missing something so I had to scale back and get those ABCs in my head before moving on.
>>
>>1827135
It just depends on what people are looking for in a game, if i play a game that takes itself too seriously like demon souls or dark souls
of course this would be out of place, but if i am watching an anime like queen's blade i am not going to go in thinking that i am in for a world
of realism, i am going to go in for a world full of half naked qt girls fighting, everything has a place on the market, it just so happens that some
people are losing their way to their destination and start whining why we don't change it to where they wanted to go.
>>
>>1822820
all you need is how to draw manga books. It should be self explanatory.
Since you want to be spoon fed, How to draw manga by Katy Coope is the best of the best.
>>
>>1825007
actualy I read a book on chakra theory and awoken my third eye.

what now faggot ?
>>
>>1827184
you forgot to get the style idea out of your fucking skull right the fuck now.

you learn real, than you adopt a style. everyone who does a good manga/manhwa style can also do real proficiently, its not a fluke its how this shit works.

maybe after 3-6 months of dedicated real studies you could move to trying manga, but you never drop the real.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (14KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
14KB, 320x180px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMUYG1hkY5c

TL;DW: once you can draw fundamentals, you can pick up any style you like.
>>
>>1827459
>that guy
>knowing anything
>>
>>1828129
scyra is okay, his style isn't best but some of his draws is cool.
>>
>>1828129
>Ad hominem
>Look at me I know better

>>>1827447
And why are you telling me this?, I didn't even talked about style nor I implied anything related to it.
If you're talking exactly about that, then I'm sorry, I forgot, but it was virtually unecessary, I directed him to the sticky to learn foundation, and told him to stay in this board, there are a lot of things that he will learn only if he lurks enough and masters the fundamentals, which include anatomy and proportions, like in, the study of the real. An even if he doesn't understands this, sooner or later, people like you and >>1827459, will come up with the exact thing he needs to know; if he stays that is.

Check what you write before posting.
>>
>>1825053

Nude people have been in all forms of art since its begging. Even old masters drawing and paiting nudes of biblical characters, or even sexualizing them... like Bernini's Blessed Ludovica or Sait Theresa that are cumming in our face.

Thing is, there exists sexualization of the female and the male in all art form or design, and I wouldn't want it any other way. You just ignore whatever you don't like and everyone lives in peace.
>>
>>1827356
Do wizardry things like stealing energy on people, learn forbidden powers, know about spirituality, awareness and become a pagan. Got gud fast because of this
>>
>>1828129
>you
>knowing anything
>>
>>1822820
kek that is a thutt if i ever saw one
>>
File: 1366771101588.png (21KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
1366771101588.png
21KB, 355x355px
>>1822820
>I want to learn how to draw like the japanese
>My main inspiration is a korean artist!
>>
>>1829221
All draw the same
>>
>>1829218
well he is using Korean chicks as a reference presumably.
>>
File: b0139538_51e661eae8841.jpg (295KB, 509x658px) Image search: [Google]
b0139538_51e661eae8841.jpg
295KB, 509x658px
>>1822820
>similar experience
I hates animu when I was in middle school (though I was a huge fan of Dragon Ball and other animus in elementary school) I was intro drawing hellboy type stuff in middle school and high school... Then in college I saw a few animu/mango influenced artists and a few artists from japan and korea (like your pic related) that looked pretty cool. Mostly concept artists and a few animators (Yoh Yoshinari, huge fan of hellboy apparently)

anyways... I learned to draw from life, figure drawing and stuff, and color theory from school and the like. Learn gesture and foreshortening and color theory and such, then stylize and or simplify any way you like regardless whether you are into animu or vidyagaims or funny books

>>1829253
yeah, there's been a number of korean artists working in the animu mango industry for a while... Some concept artists for Capcom and SNK games were korean for example.
>>
If you like Kim Hyung-tae, I think you'll like his wife - Kkuem, Lim Haksu, Dddak, Ahn Jeongwon (Maggi) and Kim Ugyeong. :)
My favorite artist is also Kim Hyung-tae!
>>
>>1827459
what a neat vid
>>
File: 502785a4-s.jpg (114KB, 480x633px) Image search: [Google]
502785a4-s.jpg
114KB, 480x633px
I had watched this guy's work before, then it looked pretty ok, but now, after closer inspection, it doesn't. Don't get me wrong, the're are a lot of good things in it, like powerful gestures, strong design and composition, neat rendering etc., but holy shit, the anatomy and proportions are wonky as shit, mainly in feet and hands, but overall it's not good.
pic is range murata.
>>
>>1829719
>If you like Kim Hyung-tae, I think you'll like his wife - Kkuem, Lim Haksu, Dddak, Ahn Jeongwon (Maggi) and Kim Ugyeong. :)
W-which one is the wife here?
>>
>>1829790
hahaha, sorry for that. It's KKuem.
If you google her up, you can see her website.
Kim purposely distorts his anatomy to get a more dynamic and distinct feel of his characters, but I do think that his figure is quite off at times.
>>
File: 1396951747627.png (87KB, 285x285px) Image search: [Google]
1396951747627.png
87KB, 285x285px
>>1830026
>i will never have a cute wife artist drawing cute characters
thanks, dickhead.
>>
>>1822828
This isn't really true. The reason they question is ultimately because of doubt which in turn is created by fear. Fear is the mind-killer, not questions.
>>
Welcome to the wonderfull world of art :)
age does not matter, only how much you are willing to put into it! craig mullins started at 27!
goodbrush dot com
you can get pretty damn good in 2 years if you put the effort in.
Sign up to an art forum like permanoobs, get some beginner friendly books and work it!
you can do animu if you want but it shouldn't be your focus! create a strong base in drawing reallife stuff and then use your knowledge to make good animu art.
you'll be shit. everyone is shit. There is not a single artist who is 100% satisfied with his work. and that is good. That is your main motivation, to make pictures that are not as shit as the previous one.
good luck and have fun!
>>
>>1824934
Not OP but I too am an absolute beginner and my main goal is drawing anime. I heard a lot good things about this book. But it seems to focus on drawing cars. So how does one start if one wants to draw characters from imagination? Should I start with Keys to drawing? What about Figure Drawing: Design and Invention? Is that what I should read after I finish Keys to drawing?
>>
>>1825053
>Hating nude warfare
>>
>>1825053
>female warrior
you have no idea how much this pisses me off in vidya
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.