[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What smallest change in history could have resulted in the greatest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 3

File: Rodin_The_Thinker.jpg (119KB, 1244x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Rodin_The_Thinker.jpg
119KB, 1244x1200px
What smallest change in history could have resulted in the greatest impact on our timeline?
>>
Hitler being born a girl
>>
Carthage doesn't recall Hannibal from Italy
>>
image if there were no slavery
>>
Remus beat Romulus
>>
Genghis Khan is sterile
>>
No Cyrus the Great
>>
The weather not fucking up the Spanish Armada towards England. With Spain taking control of England there would be no British Empire and that legacy speaks for itself.
>>
The Gunpowder plot is never discovered and they go through with it
>>
Sulla kills Caesar.
>>
>>89160
>implying the brits wouldn't of spanked the spanish regardless of weather
>>
Princip doesn't go out to eat a sandwich.
>>
assuming you mean history as 'human existence' and not written records, then:

mastery of fire not achieved
>>
>>89104
The Roman republic becoming stable and corruption free. Can't think of anything that was as interconnected as Rome before Rome and in my eyes the biggest change would come from altering the first major interconnected thing.
>>
>William the Conquer doesn't land in England a few days after harold the saxon beats the Norwegian vikings
>No England as such
it's theorized that without "England" as we know it being formed, the powerHub of europe is around the north sea now, not the Mediterranean = history 110% different
>>
>>89104
For me it would have to be, darwin not going on the hms beagle
>>
If the guy who could have shot hitler pulled the trigger
>>
File: What_if_Machine.jpg (56KB, 690x535px) Image search: [Google]
What_if_Machine.jpg
56KB, 690x535px
>tfw there is no what if machine to see how different the world may have been
>>
>>89104
Muhammad gets lost in the desert and dies
>>
File: imagine no religion.png (799KB, 799x597px) Image search: [Google]
imagine no religion.png
799KB, 799x597px
>>
>>89205
They wouldn't have. Britain had no standing army at the time. There were approximately 100 veterans of any war living in England, and there was no available money to hire mercenaries.

That being said, we don't know that much would have happened besides Philip being declared king of England.
>>
Luther never goes to Rome and doesn't get eternally ass pained
>>
>>89104
If Adam and Eve didn't sin.
>>
Alexander the Great dying a child.
>>
>>89210
this
>>
>>89104
No Old Worlders found the New World until like 1000 years later. Or if the technology would allow it, 1000 years before.

I prefer the former since it would be more likely to have Native American counties by then

-------

Alternatively, if there was a sudden surge of technological development in 200 AD America and they came to the Old World rather than the other way around.
>>
>>89358
This is a history board, we don't discuss fiction here
>>
>>89104
Random mutation of a single pathogen means malaria never becomes infectious to humans
>>
Great Britian does not recieve Gibraltar in the treaty of Utrecht.
>>
Fucking Alexandria.

Or it saving that library too much for a "small change in history".
>>
Louis XVI not reestablishing the parliament as he did.

Without parliament blocking it, he would have been able to tax the aristocracy without having to resort to calling the estates general. The aristocracy would most likely have been eliminated gradually by the kings, no French Revolution, the French model would be that of a king ruling with absolute power.
>>
no beasts of burden
>>
The wheel never gets invented.
>>
>>89424
What, so no-one developed satellites or planes until 2500? Or did they just not choose to use them.
>>
>>89529
>>89570
The dinosaurs don't become extinct
>>
Concentration of atmospheric carbon dioxide 200 ppm higher during the Eocene.
>>
>>89593
Not really a small change
>>
>>89612
Half of this shit isn't small changes
>>
>>89429
>anon being obviously facetious
>better tip m'hat fast
>>
>>89459
Wasn't it burned down 3 or 4 times by various conquerors?
>>
Columbus went the right direction
>>
>>89625
Yes, and what really killed it was a lack of funding and recopying of its manuscripts until its last and final burning.

A lot of the things in it would have gone to Baghdad or Al-Andalus anyway.
>>
>>89628
Columbus ships sank, everyone told Phillip and Isabella "Told you it was fucking miles away"

Meanwhile the Portuguese are busy raping Brazil for another 100 years without anyone catching on.
>>
>>89261
>yfw we're living in a simulation being run to see what happens if nostradamus gets high on nutmeg instead of writing his guide to plague prevention
>>
Leonardo publishes his work on Anatomy
>>
>>89742
On the topic of that, why didn't he?
>>
How about if Baibars stopping the Mongols in the battle of Ain Jalut was a failure? Or their European campaign wasn't halted by their leader dying of a heart attack, thus calling them to return home to elect a new leader?
>>
>>89210
Or Princip had packd a sandwich.
>>
If Catherine of Aragorn gave Henry VIII a son then England wouldn't have split from Catholicism. England perhaps enters a supremely strong alliance with Spain and completely dominates the New World.
>>
>>89749
Guy had major fucking ADD, he promised a lot but seldom delivered.

He worked hard with an italian doctor on a document detailing his work, and a lot of progress was made but then the doc died of the plague. Leonardo then found something else shiny and the work stayed in his notebooks.

Fucking tragic

I really want to write some AH where this gets published but I don't have the medical knowledge to do so.
>>
>>89782
>an anglo south america
could have been beautiful
>>
Walt Disney's animation style is considered disgusting by the Japanese and they stick to their original historic art style when making animations.
>>
>>89133
He would have been killed
>>
>>89219
Isn't that pre-history.
>>
>>89784
The really mind-blowing thing is, that supposedly today we are aware only of 40-50% of Leonardo's work, and the rest is gone and undiscovered. Imagine all the cool shit he did in the rest of his work, taking into account what we already know...

One of the saddest things in history, that he couldn't realize it all
>>
>89765
I got my facts a little wrong and thought to correct them. The Great Khan was not with them in Europe and did not die of heart attack, but the rest is right.
>>
The further back you go the bigger impact actions will have, think of the butterfly effect.
>>
>>89210
I've heard so many different things about this from different relatively trustable sources. Wasn't he just repositioning himself to meet the prince after his speech?
>>
>>89354
I don't know, if he didn't there would have been someone else taking his place.
>>
>>90036
Yeah, people kinda forget that history is 'sticky' almost. WWI was almost certainly going to happen one way or another for example.
>>
>>89133

Nigga there is no way he could have taken rome.
>>
>>89972
Instead of typing out the number of the post you want to reply to preceded by ">>" you can simply click on the number of the post you want to reply to.

This should open a "quick reply" window with a text field that contains the reply link you're after. Clicking other post numbers with the quick reply window open will add reply links to your text field.

Highlighting text from a post before clicking the post number will add the highlighted text in greentext form, making quoting a post much easier.
>>
Julius Caesar trips over his toga on the way to the Senate on the Ides of March, 44BC.
He gets a bit of a knock and his entourage insists on taking to home to rest.
>>
>>90071
Yep, but if it's delayed for a few years it would take an entirely different course
>>
>>90153
Especially not at that point, war was lost once Rome didn't surrender after cannae.

Grinding match always played to Romes advantage and no way hannibal could get enough support over to Italy
>>
>>90234
Would it? Why?
>>
>>89972
it was ögedei who was khan at the time - genghis died in 1227.

It's har to tell how far subotai couldve gone though, as much as the mongols were at the zenith of their military supremacy, hungary and poland marks the definite end to the eurasian steppes and plains, central and western europe is both densely populated and heavily fortified, proper castles not wood and mud. not to mention dense forests and other natural barriers. i don't think theres any chance the mongols actually lose a large battle, but i don't see them pushing very deep into germany either

the death of mongke khan and the following battle of ain jalut was more significant imo
>>
Poland annexes Prussia in 1525.

No Germany.
>>
>>90234
But it was so long and had so much going on that all the good luck and bad luck would always balance out, and the better side would nearly always win.
>>
>>89219
You can't assume that you double nigger,history,by definition,begins with the advent of writing.
The rest is pre history
>>
>>89658
They didn't "rape Brazil" at the begining,there was extremely little interest in the colonization of what was considered a savage land in their views.
>>
>>90257
>Would it? Why?
Mostly the Russians. They were in the midst of modernising their military to a huge degree and would have finished around 1920. The RN would have looked very different as well, having pulled away even more in the naval arms race.
>>
>>89104
If the British didn't go to war with Hitler or accepted some of his many offers for peace. Also if the Italians didn't fuck up so much invading Greece for no reason and failing, resulting in the Germans having to send troops and shit to help them, which delayed the Invasion of Russia by a few key weeks, which meant that things could've been very different if they got their a month earlier considering winter was coming
>>
>>90205
Thanks, but I started using the mobile app literally today and due to technical differences between computers and smart phones former experience with imageboards doesn't help all that much. Thanks for not calling me a noob, though!
>>
>>89221
"small"
>>
>>90299
We'd probably still have a Germany today in that scenario, but I think they'd be more akin to Italy than how Germany formed in out timeline. A collection of minor states that share a culture and people banding together to unify against the influence of nearby powers. They'd be a more middling power like Italy is rather than a big player like France or Russia.

Or maybe Austria would've just filled Prussia's position and unified the region, or perhaps Bavaria or Hannover or some other semi-major German state would've taken Prussia's place instead, with Austria more focused on their southern and eastern borders.
>>
>>90267
You do realize Genghis Khan means "Great Khan" (i.e. king of kings i.e. emperor) and is thus a title?
Furthermore, (the) Genghis Khan's name was Temüjin and there's not at any point in either of those two posts a reference to either "Genghis" or "Temüjin".
>>
>>91665
You're probably right.

Still, would love to see how it would work out if there was no Brandenburg-Prussia and partitions of Poland.
>>
>>89104
The Serbian assassin sticking to the original plan.
>>
>>89104

If Marshall Zebatinsky's name had been spelled Sebatinsky nuclear war would have broken out with the Soviet Union.
>>
Earth starts to orbit closer to the sun.
>>
>>92525

What?
>>
God decides not to create the heavens and the earth.
>>
>>89104
Hitler being accepted into art school
>>
I'd say defeat of the good guys at Battle of Tours and victory for the good guys of the Spanish Armada - if either of those had gone in opposite directions it would be a very different world.
>>
The printing press being invented a thousand years earlier.
>>
>>92977

>Tours
>Relevant

What? It was a raid that was already turning back when Martel's forces caught up to them. It didn't even settle the Frankish-Umayyad wars, let alone the larger conflict between Christian Europe and the Muslim world.

You can maybe make a case that it affects the Carolingian dynasty's fortunes in France, but attributing any larger context to the battle is just dumb.
>>
>>89104

Isagoras winning against Clisthenes.
>>
>>89160
>and that legacy speaks for itself.

Aside from creating the US, the British Empire was irrelevant
>>
the most obvious of all.

hitler being accepted in art school.
>>
>>93136
Hitler is too recent
You can have much bigger consequences for smaller changes if you go back further in history
>>
The Holocaust actually occurring
>>
>>93136
>be hitler
>decide to be a painter
>evalutator says "look dud you're all messed up, you really ought to be an architect instead cause that's clearly what you're interested in"
>I goofed off in every class that would have been productive to becoming an architect
>tfw
>>
>>89424
>Alternatively, if there was a sudden surge of technological development in 200 AD America and they came to the Old World rather than the other way around.
Do you not understand the meaning of "smallest change" in OP's post?
>>
>>89104
Banning practice of usury, even among jews.
>>
>>93128
I hope this is bait
>>
>>93128
U fookin what, lad?
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.