[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which time period had the best fashion? Why is today's fashion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11

Which time period had the best fashion? Why is today's fashion so ugly and retarded in comparison to most of Western history?
>>
File: ajò.jpg (96KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
ajò.jpg
96KB, 720x960px
>>75342
1000 bc
>>
File: fula.jpg (94KB, 485x323px) Image search: [Google]
fula.jpg
94KB, 485x323px
Fulani
>>
>>75342
>Why is today's fashion so ugly and retarded in comparison to most of Western history?

Because Pragmatism is a plague
>>
>>75394
That mannequin isn't very honest, in reality the tits would have a bunch of hair on them.
>>
>>75342
1600s was glorious
>>
File: img_5329.jpg (114KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
img_5329.jpg
114KB, 480x640px
>>75458
The greeks said that the all the barbarians in the west shaved so I believe them.
>>
Late 19th century has some classy outfits desu
>>
Raf Simons Rick Owens usually what I'm dressed in
>>
People throughout history subjected themselves to corsets bound feet etc. Todays fashion at least in the western world is much more comfortable. Women wore clothing so intricate and heavy they could barely move and men chocked themselves on their collars. I love current fashion because i no longer feel it is mandatory to follow a specific trend. You can dress however you like , sure you can be ridiculed for it tho.
>>
>>75342
By defintion, the current time period woild have the best fashion becasue it would have acess to all the fashion that came before; and year will always have all the fashion of the previous years acessibly to it in additon to any new innovations and thus, regardless of the quality gained each year, quality is never lost given we havent had any major catestrophies that would render all records of an era's fashion gone since we wore clothes.
>>
>>75342
Here's a historical constant: almost everybody ever yearned for elements of the past, because they thought something about it was better.

We'll think the same in 2060, if we aren't dead or have dementia.
>>
>>75342
All of that is upper-class fashion though.The average person,like you or me, in those eras would have worn clothes that were much less flashier and more pragmatic.
>>
>>75542
Lol what a cop-out of a response
>>
>>75542
What a retarded argument. Social customs and acceptance of what is "normal" change along with fashion, rendering much of what came before unnaceptable to wear.

Try dressing in a toga and go outside to see how people react.
>>
>>75342
>why is modern fashion so ugly.
Despite what other posters say, this is actually true. Why? The world seems to be evolving a single culture and thus a single style of clothing. For example, there is nothing distinct about the clothing worn in China and the clothing worn in America.

I have my own theories on this. I believe we are living in the uncanny valley of fashion. Synthetic materials and automated clothing factories have made this an inevitability. Soon, though perhaps not within our lifetimes, we'll see a global culture take root and clothing will fall into place. The future is very close to us now.
>>
>>75684
Who the fuck cares, not only do I know what a toga is; I can in a few minutes gain acess to an unprecenedtaed welath of data on it.

The fact we can even have this conversation in the first place proves my point.

You think in 1600 guys in Spain were able to debate the merits of Qin Chineese clothing?

Current Fashion is ALL the Fashion, I can look like a cross between Willy Wonka, Lex Luthor and Imhotep if I want to. Humanities are fundemnatally about the transfer of information and today we have reached an incomprhensiblly vast store of information; meaning we are in the golden age of Humanities, Culture Music etc. period.

Even if only one worthwhile cultural acheivment was made in a year, hell a decade, it would still by defintion be at a cultural level higher than all of known human culture put together, becasue we literally have acheived all of known human culture put together.

I can remake a Kanye West song with a human keyboard made in Japan based on sound cues from a Mongolian throat singer with lyrics based on Sanskrit poetry translated into Welsh and sun by a latin choir.

Right now I am talking to 15 people from around the world naked, in a respository that can be acessed by anyone.

We have become Meme Gods' infinetaly powerful human engines of processing information; we aproach a cultural singualrity.
>>
File: 1425575872544.gif (1MB, 290x290px) Image search: [Google]
1425575872544.gif
1MB, 290x290px
>>75342
>Fashion timeline
>1090s guy wearing chainmail armour with a cross

pretty lazy ṫbh couldn't even get a single image of what men wore in that era so just fucking make him a crusader and stick him in some mail because that was FASHION back then
>>
>>75342
I really like the Henri II style.
>>
>>75342
20's

>inb4 fedora

also 1870's guy look steampunk
>>
>>75884
>I can look like a cross between Willy Wonka, Lex Luthor and Imhotep if I want to

Yeah, and people are going to think you look like a weirdo. Fashion trends are all about what's normative. Being able to wear a a weird combination of previous styles isn't. There's definitely a current fashion and it's not "all fashions of the past."
>>
>>75928
>>
>>75986
Normative is pretty flexible especially in a culture this wide; as long as the aethetics are on point it really doesnt matter.

That is, anywhere where flashy clothing would be apriprtae for example it would eb coolt o come out like Micheal jackson
>>
>>75342
>men
1920s easy
>women
1760s
>>
>>75342
Everything after the red line is shit. Or, at least, mediocre, plain and boring compared to the previous. Why?

Is it because everything before it are not actually clothes for everyone, but just nobility?
>>
>>75342
>any period in history
>caring about fashion

ask me how I know you collect likes on fb.
>>
File: fashion.png (564KB, 900x564px) Image search: [Google]
fashion.png
564KB, 900x564px
>>76362
oops, forgot pic
>>
>>75394
Gotta love the Mycenaeans. Almost every picture of a Mycenaean woman you'll ever see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB_vQDk1e4k
>>
>>75342

definiely the 1400s. always wanted to have a wife with a dunce cap
>>
>>76362
>>76384
Because everything before it is clothing of the aristocrats or bourgeouis elite while everything after it was after the rise of pop culture and shows average joe clothing. If they showed what the average person wore throughout history it wouldn't look too fancy.
>>
>>76384
The clothes of 1900 are for everyone instead of the upper-class, obviously the average peasant in the centuries before didn't look like an nobleman whereas the average guy in 1900s would dress like that.
>>
>>76384
1810 master race
>>
1810s is pretty top quality... 1830s too.
>>
>>76540
>>76362
This is wrong though... only 1970s and 2010s clothing is "average joe"... everything before is upper class, including 1900s - 1940s clothing.
>>
1830/1870s represent.

although i much favor ancient history as a whole, victorian fashion is the quintessence of my soul. petticoats and parasols until i die.

i don't think ALL of today's fashion is terrible, maybe most of high fashion is- but i still enjoy the artistic endeavors of a few of them. mcqueen had some really inspired pieces.
>>
>>75342
Wouldn't the majority of people in the 1090s be wearing a simple tunic? A lot of this just looks like aristocratic clothing.
>>
>>75342
I don't think they wore full body mail for fashion
>>
File: american revolutionary soldier.jpg (125KB, 300x366px) Image search: [Google]
american revolutionary soldier.jpg
125KB, 300x366px
>>75591
That pretty much.

Sure they had colors but trousers + undershirt +coat/waistcoat has been the standard for a very long time now.
>>
>>75342
>1090
>people casually wearing armor
>>
>>75342

Everything from 1760s - early 1960s desu

>>76680
Funny how Upper Class clothes look less beautiful and sophisticated now

factory-made and souless
>>
File: Luther&Charles V.jpg (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Luther&Charles V.jpg
2MB, 1366x768px
obviously 1500's germany
>>
>>77522
sad John Wayne holding a scroll
>>
>>75342
>Comparing the elite and powerful from the past to the proletariat and parasites of the present.

There are plenty of extravagant and nonsensically amazing clothes today, you don't see it because you can't afford it. Inevitably the history books won't feature average joe in his Adidas and work jeans, either.
>>
>>76374
I don't even have a Facebook faggot
>>
8th century China or 16th century England.
Persian turbans were pretty based tho I'm not familiar with it.
>>
>>75342
>Why is today's fashion so ugly and retarded
in the 1990s each and every fashion media started promoting going back to the 60s style and era, but with a "modern" twist
we have reached the time loop now, reviving the 90s which were a revival of the 60s anyways
>>
>>75342
1830s.
>>
I want to be a girl in the industrial era and wear pretty dresses.
>>
The Renaissance and the steam punk area for me
>>
>>79321
era*
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.