[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were the Greeks doing in the Middle Ages. Did they like,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: greeks.jpg (164KB, 1000x550px) Image search: [Google]
greeks.jpg
164KB, 1000x550px
What were the Greeks doing in the Middle Ages. Did they like, have castles and knights and shit? Because you never hear about those.
>>
>>71583
Ever heard of Byzance?
>>
They were the Byzantine Empire.
>>
File: Byzantine Styling.jpg (535KB, 1295x933px) Image search: [Google]
Byzantine Styling.jpg
535KB, 1295x933px
>>71583
They were busy being Roman.
>>
File: siphonares.jpg (101KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
siphonares.jpg
101KB, 1024x768px
Making bacon.
>>
>>71583
>American education
>>
>>71583
Basically, Rome splits in two, the Eastern part being ruled by Greeks.

Western Rome falls, but ERE stands up until 1453 until kebab AKA ottomans takes over.
>>
>>71764
>>American education

true.

greeks, then romans, then some weird ottoman or whatever, then the renaisance, then science and industrial revolution and then white ppl 4thewin, or something like that

maxwell's equations yes.
>>
>>71795
>being ruled by Greeks.

Why has this meme sprung up? Just because Greek culture dominated didn't mean everyone was Greek. It wasn't until literally every non-Greek speaking region got conquered by squatting Slavs and musky Mohammedians that it began to go full Hellene i.e. 7th century.
>>
>>71903
I have to over-simplify for the hambeast over the sea, sorry.
>>
>>71583
They were the Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine Empire), the wealthiest and most advanced nation at the time
>>
>>71916
>I have to over-simplify for the hambeast over the sea, sorry.

THIS BOARD NEEDS FLAGS.

all intelligent boards need thread-specific IDs and flags. why isn't this a given????
>>
>>71976
>all intelligent boards need flags

Where the fuck do you think you are?
>>
>>72007
>Where the fuck do you think you are?

not sure I understand. obviously 4chan/his

flags are awesome on /int/ and /pol/, and seem to make sense on /his/

do you not agree?
>>
>>72070
Not sure what purpose flags serve here other than "lulz American doesn't even Byzantium"
>>
>>72412

I can see that, the negative.

But the positive for me is when someone living in Somalia or wherever replies to a thread about their hellhole.
>>
>>71976
>all intelligent boards need thread-specific IDs and flags.
Like /pol/?
>>
>>72697
yes
>>
>>71976
The cancer that will kill /his/ is in this post.
>>
>>71976
Flags and IDs are cancer.
>>
>>72721

are you opposed to thread specific IDs, and if so, why?
>>
>>72757
Flags are cancer and cause people to ignore comments just because of the flag above the post.

I have nothing against thread specific id's
>>
File: Sin título.png (79KB, 1163x595px) Image search: [Google]
Sin título.png
79KB, 1163x595px
here
>>
>>72841
What interactive hist-atlas is that? [spoiler] is it free? [/spoiler]
>>
>>72944
geacron.com
totally free, it is really awesome
>>
>>73030
A toast to you good sir
>>
>>71583
Most of Greece was part of the Byzantine Empire until its collapse at the hands of the Turks. They had knights, castles, and all of that jazz, though the Byzantine system was less feudal than that of Western Europe. Parts of Greece were actually held by the French, and later the Spanish, due to marriages and invasions. Famously a bunch of drunken Catalans rekt a huge French army with javelins and then called the king of Spain and asked him to send someone to rule them.

This period doesn't get as much attention as it should because it's so strange to many peoples' ideas of history that the Roman Empire was still around during the 100 Years War.
>>
>>72521
All the Somali has to do is just mention their somalian, and they'll be bombarded with shitposts, thought maybe less than if they had a flag.
>>
>>71976
>saying anything but containment boards need flags and IDs
>on 4chan

This is like debates on gun rights in the US.

SHALL
NOT
BE
INFRINGED
>>
>>73245
The byzantines never had knights, knights were a product of the feudal system.
>>
>>73651
The Proionar was quite like a western knight anon. They got paid in land and shit.
>>
>>73245
Holy shit what the fuck stop. I know simplifying is in order but you went too far.
>>
>>73904
You know southeast part of Yurop and the coast on the other side? Greeks were all over that shieet.
>>
>>71943
>the wealthiest and most advanced nation at the time

No, they were that at the beginning of the middle ages.
>>
>>71943
>the wealthiest and most advanced nation at the time

lol
>>
File: well memed my friend heraclius.jpg (103KB, 392x701px) Image search: [Google]
well memed my friend heraclius.jpg
103KB, 392x701px
>>73931
I meant all your "explanation" of the latin empire and other post 4th crusade states, and their conflicts with the crown of Aragon. It was just fucking awful.
>>
>>71583

triggered
>>
>>73030
This is pretty good.
>>
>>71976

fuck off
>>
>>74006
was someone else senpai, I'm just picking up where the other guy left off
>>
>>73754
The pronoia system was what lead to the decline of Byzantium. The Komnenos dynasty laid the seeds when they emphasized aristocracy over bureaucracy.

I really do like the Byzantine cataphracts of that era. They were the perfect combination of lancer and mounted archer.
>>
>>71903
>Mohammedians

Why did we stop calling them like that? In most history documents I read I always see it that way, whether it's Napoleon or Hitler, when did they stop calling Muslims Mohammedians?
>>
>>74481
They got butthurt because it implies they worship mohammed instead of allah
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.