[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd like to know more about Hungary, it's a quite fascinating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

I'd like to know more about Hungary, it's a quite fascinating country. It seems weird how they sometime were so powerful, and soon after became shit. I'm not an expert but it really feels like they missed the chance of having a stable state like all other monarchies in western Europe finally got.
Also they were the only ones to win clear big victories against the Turks, that counts for something.
>>
>Also they were the only ones to win clear big victories against the Turks, that counts for something
Almost all of Hungarian territory except for today's Slovakia was conquered by Ottomans

Hungarian gov't fucked up with its policy of Magyarizition

Pre-WWI Hungary was agrarian backward shithole with the political system from the Middle Ages
>>
>>70407
>feels like they missed the chance of having a stable state like all other monarchies in western Europe finally got

I guess you could say that. Hungary was the frontline against the turks for about 150 years with being at war with them for most of the time. During this time of almost constant fighting Hungary was largely depopulated and impoverished, so they didn't have the chance to develop their industry and society like Western Europe did.
>>
>>70407
Okay, I'm gonna dump everything you want to know, just wait a few minutes.
>>
at least they're not starving
>>
>>70407
So: in the times of King Matthew (Corvin) Hungary became one of the major powers in Europe, its income was close to French or the Ottomans, it had a powerful mercenary army and it even conquered Wien.

However, the incompetent fuck wasn't able to knock up his wife, so without a rightful heir, after his death the Kingdom was given to the hands of a foreign king by the nobles, who had enough of the high taxes. Without the high income, the mercenary army was dismissed, and the development of the Kingdom went back like 50 years.
Hungary cased to be a major power, and in 1526 after the battle of Mohacs it was torn into 3 parts: upper Hungary, in the hands of the Habsburg, Transylvania, in the hands of Hungarian noblemen, soon vassal to the Ottomans, and mainland (middle) Hungary, part of the Ottoman Empire,
>>
>>73199
i continue it soon
>>
File: polan mad feel.png (89KB, 365x363px) Image search: [Google]
polan mad feel.png
89KB, 365x363px
>Also they were the only ones to win clear big victories against the Turks, that counts for something
>>
>>73213
In these times, our history is mainly a huge ckusterfuck: most hungarians fleed to upper hungary or transylvania, and the nobles were battleing with mainly the Ottomans, sometimes the Habsburg. There were still development, like Transylvania was the first places where religion freedom was mostly allowed, we had some good rulers, but after the 150 years of Ottoman rule-battleing, we were waay behind the rest of Europe.
In the 1700s, we were battleing - negitiating with the Habsburg, we had some pretty awesome movements like the kurucz movement, or thr Rakoczy revolution.
In the 19th century, natsionalism came, which with other places around Europe, led to 1848-49 revolution.
>>
>>73368
This is the main turning point of our history - the revolution wanted a truly free Hungarian nation, but there was a big-ass problem - hungarian were around 45-50% within the Kingdom, around 4 million ethnic Hungarians lived, we didn't have our population increased since the 1500s.
In the revolution, the Habsburg used the ethnicites against the revolution -slavs abd romanians-, plus with the help of the russians it ended it a faulire.

Meanwhile the Habsburg were getting weaker and weaker, and after they were defeated by Bischmark, they had no choice but to negotiate.
Hungary had two choices - start another revolution, make peace with the ethinicities and become a socereign country - this is what Kossuth wanted (he called it the Confederation ofnthe Danube).
Or make peace with Austria, and become an equal member of the Empire - sadly, the nobles were pushing this, as its was a lot more realistic idea.
>>
>>73574
This resulted in the magyarisation - which ment that the minorities were forcefully magyarised, meaning they had less rights until they didn't change their name and gave up their culture.
Hungary itself developed much after 1867, it had and industrial revolution just like the rest of the world, Budapest became a big city and centrum of the country, but it was mostly the upper class which benefited fromthis, the rest ofnthe country was mostly still an agro-cultural kind of shithole, like 200 years behind from Western Europe.
With the growing, but still kinda weak country and the ethnic tentions, it was a time bomb - and then World War 1 came, which resulted in pthe treaty of trianin in 1920.
>>
File: image.jpg (192KB, 1162x782px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
192KB, 1162x782px
>>73734
As you can see, in the treaty a lot of Hungarian - majority place were lost, Szeklerland, South - slovakia, lot of historic cities etc.

After this, until the end of WW2 the main political movement were about to gain back some of the lost land - (and the ww2 borders were pretty fair in my opinion, but that doesn't matter).

We were on the losing side again, sovjets came, 40'years of communism, after the lost 1956 revolution people became comfortist, and jnder Kadar even if communism itself was shit, you could live yournlife comfortably and peacefully, it wasn't so hardcore then lats say in Romania.

Communist had the bright idea to make this place an industrial zone, we made the bullets for the sovjets - but after 1989 no one bought that shit, so East-Hungary became poor, then the EU came, and we are just like any other Eadstern European nation - proud and natsionalistic, but poor as fuck and live in the past.
>>
I hope at least someone read my shit.
>>
>>73979
One Slovak did

Treat yourself to a glass of Tokaji. You deserve it
>>
File: austro-hungarian-map-1914.jpg (347KB, 1000x778px) Image search: [Google]
austro-hungarian-map-1914.jpg
347KB, 1000x778px
>>73979
I did.

What do Hungarians think of the Habsburg Empire? Is there some nostalgia?
>>
>>74128
>>74070

Yeah sorry for the typos, i'm pretty tired and im writing from a tablet,.

There is some nostalgia for the Empire, but mainly for Great-Hungary itself. Deak, who was the main man behind the peacemaking with the Habsburg is considered the "wisest man of the nation".

I myself think that we should have followed Kossuth, who learned from the failed revolutiin and wanted to make a Carphatian confederacy, with equal representation for every ethnicity, basically giving up the dream of a one-nation state and make a country something like Belgium.
>>
>>74300
does romania rustle your jimmies?
>>
File: Kalandozasok.jpg (99KB, 724x496px) Image search: [Google]
Kalandozasok.jpg
99KB, 724x496px
They fucked shit up big time.
>>
>>74443
Hm? Not really, I have relatives in Transylvania and throught then have romanian friends. I do think if Szekelys would get autonomial rights, most of the revisionists would have to finalky shut up.
Romania and Hungary should be dependant on each other, kike France and Germany is today.
>>
>>73199
So Hungry went to shit all because their king was a faggot who couldn't keep it up?
>>
>>74544
He actually had a bastard son, but no rifhtful heir.

But basically, kinda yeah.
>>
>>73199
>>73368
>>73574
>>73734
>>73937
Based Hungarian
>>
>>74536
yup let bygones be bygones, we already burned budapest twice, you guys thralled us for 1000 years...shit happens
>>
>>74700
Budapest was never burnt.

Even the fierce siege in 1944-45 didn't do that much damage.
>>
>>74900
aren't most of monuments in budapest post-wwii replicas?
>>
>>75030
no
>>
Any recommended reading on based Hungarian history?
>>
File: werckmeister-harmonies-bar.png (122KB, 736x416px) Image search: [Google]
werckmeister-harmonies-bar.png
122KB, 736x416px
How well known/read is Krasznahorkai among the average pleb Hungarians? What about Bela Tarr?
>>
>>76911
I heard Paul Lendvai's "The Hungarians" is pretty good
>>
>>77206
plebs? On the border of unknown.
>>
>>74900
>didn't do much damage
The castle completely got destroyed along with half of the city
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.