[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Click for more| Home]

Humanities education

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 32

File: Humanities.jpg (91KB, 612x345px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Humanities.jpg
91KB, 612x345px
Are any of you pursuing a degree in humanities?

What are you studying?
Is it rewarding?
What has been most disappointing?
>>
>>6853
Lawfag here. I'm kinda enjoying it.
>>
>>6853
I'm doing a reasonably interesting degree that's a mix of various humanities subjects (history, literature, philosophy, technology, media, politics, "knowledge", the arts, sociology) in relation to Western culture. Lots and lots of reading. Not going to write out what the course is called because it's pretty embarrassing. I'm in my first year, we looked at a range of philosophers (from Plato to Foucault) and their basic ideas in the first block, while reading different types of texts to do with the humanities alongside it (philosophical, historical and sociological texts). I kind of enjoyed it.
This block we're reading a bunch of philosophical texts (Descartes, Nietzsche, Spinoza, Kant, and Foucault) while looking at how the sciences developed after the Middle Ages in Europe.

Being completely honest, I think it's a bullshit degree and a general waste of my money, even if it is extremely interesting and aligns nearly perfectly with my interests and what I like doing. If I have enough money after these 3 years I'm probably going to do a Law degree, or I might just drop this at the end of the year and see if I can switch over to the law faculty. I'm just generally disappointed in, I know I'll sound full of myself, my peers. No one seems to be as motivated or interested as I am. Tutorials in particular are generally structured in the way that group discussion is very important, but there are very rarely people who seem interested in the topic at hand, and there is always a list of usual suspects, myself included, who talk. I feel as though I'm one of the few, alongside some others I share a few courses with, who generally contribute something worthwhile to the overall discussion. I genuinely wonder why everyone's here if they have no vested interest in what they're doing. And they're not "Chads" or "normies" either, they're all decent people.
>>
>>6853
Studied Ancient History, now doing Law. I regret nothing, I feel a lot more rounded than an engineering automaton.
>>
>>6853
I studied english language and literature and history.

Dropped out after a year.
>>
Law
I like it but the debate club shit I have to attend really wears me down socially, still trying to separate emotion from debate
>>
>>6853
I'm studying Arabic literature (and also Neuroscience).

I enjoy it greatly and love the language and the literature. Grammar is mathematical, texts are poetic.

Most disappointing is that so many Arabic works are not yet translated so I really have to buckle down on learning the language which has been so fun.
>>
File: 1446224591960.jpg (52KB, 720x481px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1446224591960.jpg
52KB, 720x481px
>>6853
>Are any of you pursuing a degree in humanities?
Yes
>What are you studying?
History PhD, Middle Byzantine Warfare
>Is it rewarding?
Yes
What has been most disappointing?
Arab defeats desu senpai
>>
>>6853
>Humanities 2015
>MUH WHITE PRIVILEGE
>SAYING ANYTHING BAD ABOUT ISLAM IS RACIST
>SAYING THE JEWS DIDNT DO 9/11 IS RACIST
>RAND PAUL IS LITERALLY OPRAH
>>
>>6853
I am doing a masters in Early modern history.
Would like to go full phd.

I really enjoy it.
>>
>>9123
Can anyone comment on how bad it really is?
I was thinking about studying anthropology for a while but was too afraid that it would be too politicized.
>>
>>6853
I thought of doing so, but decided not to because I didn't really want to deal with political correctness. It felt really bad when I BS'd/lied a shitton about my own beliefs on various essays for my history course and my Professor liked it.
>>
>>6853

No, I need a job,
>>
What was your dissertation on /his/? Only a summary not the actual title.

>the fall of the Western Roman Empire can be blamed on civil wars and social problems and not "barbarian invasions"
>>
>>8757

what the fuck are you going to do with your Arabic lit. degree?

[spoiler] I study Arabic as well [/spoiler]
>>
What is the practical use of a history degree?
What job do you want to get afterwards? how is that job market?

Not trying to offend just curious, I wanted to study it but was told by everyone that it was useless.
>>
>>9254
It obviously depends on the field, but generally speaking, it really is that bad. It's even crept into my relatively neutral language courses. Just as an example, I'm currently in a course on 18th century British writing that's devoted *entirely* to the concept of "othering" and how disgusting those old, white euro-centric authors were.

One fairly liberal friend of mine who studied sociology and philosophy even dropped out entirely, specifically because she felt overwhelmed by ideology. From what I gather, STEM is still pretty clean, but sadly, I was too dumb for that.
>>
>>9291
This.
Humanities, AKA the concept of feelings being more important then facts.
>>
>>8757
>>9334
Arab here studying engineering. Just a question for you fellas, are you studying just arabic, or Middle East Studies?
>>
>>8344
I can sympathize with both you, and your peers, as I've been enrolled in classes I cared about and classes I didn't care about before.

When you care about a class, it seems so ridiculous how much of a pathetic effort everyone else puts in. I studied Japanese in University, and whilst I found the class to be incredibly slow, I often overheard classmates complaining that it was too hard. It's not like I had any inherent talent or anything - I just enjoy learning languages.

On the other hand I also studied a multitude of classes that I only chose because they sounded less excruciating than their alternatives. In those classes I would rarely do the readings and would never have anything to contribute to class discussions.

I don't think that you should change your degree just because your peers aren't interested - that will be the same for every degree. Changing degrees might be a good option if you have no interest in becoming an academic, because an arts degree really isn't good for much else. However, you might find that you become the equivalent of those classmates who don't give a shit if you don't have a strong interest in your new field of study.
>>
>>9369
Most of the people I've known have either went on to become teachers or researchers.
>>
History, still an undergrad. It's amazing, I love it. Coming to terms with the fact that it'll be bad for my job career and that as a consequence of my studies I'll never be wealthy is hard.
>>
>>9662

I'm learning Arabic so I can teach in Qatar and make more money. Basically 15,000 extra grand a year if you are bilingual. I don't know what Arab lit faggot is doing. In the class we learn Standard Koranic arabic, then Masri and Shaami dialects.

I've got the alphabet down now and basic sentence structure but my vocabulary is still pretty low.
>>
>>6853
im actually having vocational problems, i want to study something to help people something social and i really like philosophy but the troubles are when i think, what im going to do? can you /his/ anons help its worth to study a philosoph degree?
>>
>>8344
I feel you. This is the case for me aswell, but I've been told it gets MUCH better at postgrad level, so I'm banking on that
>>
>>8344

Know EXACTLY what you mean my friend
I would be one of the usual suspects
>>
I think Valerian was a good guy.
>>
>>9650
>Humanities, AKA the concept of feelings being more important then facts.

GHAHAHAH nice one m8
>>
File: chuckles_sovietly.jpg (21KB, 400x539px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
chuckles_sovietly.jpg
21KB, 400x539px
>>9650

>feelings being more important
>in humanities

>implying
>>
>>9893
Is it economically worthwhile? Absolutely not.

Will you be confronted with ideas and thoughts that are much more interesting larger than anything or anyone you have ever met or talked to? If you're willing to put a bit of work in, yes.

Don't mean to be rude, but chances are (since you're posting on 4chan), you're not very ambitious, not very hard-working and not a social predator so you won't be a CEO or Investor anytime soon. It might help you.

>>9650
back to r/science
>>
>>9999
Quads confirms it
>>
>>9866
Interesting. I really want to improve my arabic. Like so many young Arabs in the West, I know how to speak the dialect of my parents (Syrian) but I can't read or write in MSA. Got myself a highly rated grammar book that I'm going through. Hopefully my the end of college I'll be fluent in it, and turkish as well just for keks.
>>
Just remember that if you do a humanities degree and aren't sure what to do with it, do Law. It stands you in good stead and it's loved by pretty much everybody.
>>
>>9957
>>9999
Are you denying that there are absolute bullshit fields under the umbrella of Humanities?
>>
>>9893
>worth to study a philosoph degree?

Depends.
If you truly want to find a job or one of the valuable yet rare academic positions, you must be AMAZING at it, otherwise you're another mediocre B.A and no one cares

If you want to be babysat and congratulated just for passing, go to engineering
If you want to think instead of be a drone, go do philosophy and see what you can do
Dont forget: Write, read, think, explore, discuss, learn, and teach. This is what humanities is, you will not find something valuable to do if you simply satisfy the expected minimum.
>>
>>10037
Is it possible to learn humanities from home?

I study Physics and as far as I know the "just read books, brah, no point in getting a paper" meme is a joke but how does it fare in, say, History?
>>
>>10037
>>>9650
>back to r/science

I know right? Like why do those faggots even come here anon? Can they not spend 2 seconds without spreading aids?
>>
>>10164
liek so true ^^
>>
>>10122

None of us here classify Women's Studies under humanities or anything on that matter
If you think people give a flying FUCK about opinions or feelings in humanities, it means you never were seriously involved with in in a respectable setting.
>>
nope.
>>
>>6853
Working on my history degree right now, I really want to get my doctorate and teach university. I am also interested in archaeology.

I honestly love it. Right now my focus is east asian studies and i'll be doing my thesis/senior project on the Meiji restoration. My passion is crusade history.

Most disappointing thing has to be the apathy among most of the majors, they just want the piece of paper. I would also say the desire among some people to rewrite history, which is horrifying.
>>
File: --.jpg (351KB, 2052x1260px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
--.jpg
351KB, 2052x1260px
>>6853

> tfw I have to take ethics in engineering
>>
>>6853
I studied European Studies. It was a mixture of history, law, economics and political science.

Kind of worthless degree though, that's why I combined it with Economics degree. 80% of my peers in Eurostudies are still unemployed. The others are freelancing or have unpaid internships.
>>
>>6853
>Got degree in history from state university in 2002
>No jobs in museums or libraries from providence to maine
>start substitute teaching, kids are fucking animals
>fuck teaching
>start driving old people around all day
>meet pre-med student
>move to NYC with her for medical school
>join penny stock company
>become their "email marketer"
>pirate email spider tech offline, spam people for 7 years, a million a week
>gf becomes wife
>wife becomes doctor
>i become stay at home dad
>i lift and read history books all day

Might try for a library job when my kid is in first grade. Anyways, my degree was not worth the paper it is written on.
>>
>>10262
forgot to add that I really liked it and it was really interesting, just not useful on job market.
>>
>>10159
I would say discussion is a vital part of a proper education in history. You'll get to know people that are very knowledgeable in very obscure things, and at least for me that's been a driving factor in my ambition to learn. Otherwise, it's certainly possible, 80% is reading anyways, if you can do that (systematically) there's very little standing in your way.
>>
>>10273
Oh yeah, i forgot
>got into law school in 2006
>looked at debt statistics
>was already making 3/4 of lawyer median income
>didnt go
>>
>>10164
>>10208
Ooh. Struck a nerve?
>>
First off, fucking finally. There's a /his/. At last.

>>9369
History graduates can go on to become prime minister of the UK (Gordon Brown), into politics in general, journalism, research careers, academia, HR, media, lots more. Many go into law too.

I myself am fresh (well, about 5 months) out of a history degree; I've opted for further study in an unrelated field.
I'd love to pursue further history degrees, but the situation for arts funding is pretty grim here right now.

OP-
I loved my degree, certainly do not regret it. It means I don't even remember the last debate I lost; the skills a history degree equips people (who do the degree properly and are engaged) with are just as valuable as the history itself.

It has equipped me with the ability to read and research properly, and that has shaped my life in more ways than I can be bothered to recount at this time of night.
>>
>>6853
No because I want a Career when I get out of college.
>>
Studied English/writing.
Unemployed and depressed 1+1/2 years after graduating.
Got a job about 5 weeks ago as a technical writer making 80k.
I am very very thankful for the change in situation.
>>
BA History

I'm enjoying it, definitely, but I'm likely to do a applied postgrad somewhere just because I feel like career prospects aren't as focused.
>>
>>10259
this tbqh fampai
>>
>>10037
Perhaps not coincidentally, since attending university I've been posting on 4chan less and less compared to constantly posting during my high school years. Used to be fully subscribed to the bullshit but now I find a lot of it distasteful and juvenile. Some boards I still enjoy, but I've grown out of a lot of the ones I used to call my e-home.
>>
I have a friend who does it so I attend the lecture sometimes. It's strange that people don't realise that you can just stroll into lectures and do whatever.
>>
Aerospace engineer here, having myself a good kek
>>
>>10325

Get the fuck >>>/out/
>>
>>6853
STEM masterrace.

Humanities are just a hobby for me
>>
>>10259

Ethics classes given to engineers is a joke
study at the last 5 min, get a D and they let you pass
>>
>>10305
How would you recommend I go about it, then? Is there a list of books History undergrads should read?

I'm just a hobbyist so I don't want to train like a historian does.
>>
>>9334
Basically I'm going to work as a researcher in neuroscience and translate Arabic works on the side. I've published some translations before.
>>9662
I'm studying the language and the literature. I took some culture courses. I have stayed in the Middle East for about 9 months however.
>>
>>10427
;)
>>
>>10426

did anyone ask you?
>>
>>10486
Depends on what your interests are, really. You can read introductory literature about a lot of historical fields, see what interests you.
>>
>>10472
>Humanities are just a hobby for me

and by that you mean?
>>
>>6853
I'm majoring in Asian Studies, thinking of pursuing a history minor and taking some early Europe courses. It's pretty fucking neat, and I none of it feels like actual work.
Most disappointing has been my language courses, I'm pretty bad at picking up languages and I hope on being somewhat decent in Gaelic, Japanese, and Mandarin before I graduate.
>>
File: 1446321065990.jpg (330KB, 2060x828px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1446321065990.jpg
330KB, 2060x828px
>>6853

Minored in Poly-Sci. Half useless, half breddy gud. Teaches you a lot of shit that's actually valuable in the second two years, but before that it's basically just memorizing buzzwords so you sound kewl.

That said, feminism was infecting it pretty badly by the end.
>>
>>10486
Read scholarly works from public sylabi from major universities. Take lectures from the teaching company (EASILY pirateable). Take open courses from coursera, yale, stanford, and itunes U. Read as much as you can. Use oxfordbibliographies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymsHLkB8u3s
>>
>>10049
>quads
>important on the newest board
>>
>>10226
its always the blue collar faggots who never set foot into a college, talking shit.
>>
>>10545
>feminism was infecting it pretty badly by the end.

It's everywhere m8, no escape

>>10472
>Humanities are just a hobby for me
a.k.a you once read a book and think you know everything
>>
>>10226
>none of us here
>here

Meanwhile, in the real world
>>
>>10613
>Meanwhile, in the real world

Yea because you give a fuck about people's opinions in the real world

In the real world people thought digital watches were a neat idea.
>>
>tfw planning on teaching history
Report my fellow niggas
>>
>>10545
I find that the parts that feminism has worked it's way into are fairly easily recognizable. They're always called something like "Gender Roles in X" or "Women as X", simple to avoid them really.

>>10613
It doesn't really matter though. You get to choose whether you consider feminist thought worthwhile or not, because in the Humanities you actually have an influence on the subject of study and the related discourses.
>>
>>9123
>welcome to american universities
Ironically, the universities there arent elitist enough to remain as purely scientific as possible
>>
>>10354
How'd you get that job?
>>
>>10259
>>10477
Exactly what I did. Final essay was half of the course grade, so I aced it and took a couple quizzes, passed with a C. Never had to come to class. I almost wish the class had some meat to it.
>>
>>9123
>Humanities 2015

>implying thats real humanities

It got infected by those idiots because admissions is not selective enough, they let the dumbest get a B.A nowadays and I have no clue why
>>
>>10540
I have an interest in them and like to learn about them, but decided to study something else.

>>10597
> a.k.a you once read a book and think you know everything

That's a nice inferiority complex you've got there :^)
>>
>Are any of you pursuing a degree in humanities?

No, I actually hate most humanity subjects except for discussing specific times in history. Maybe this board will get that to change though.

>What are you studying?

Geophysics.

>Is it rewarding?

The study material (mostly math-major and physics-major tier math & physics with some geology thrown) certainly is, and the job outlook still seems phenomenal even with the plummeting oil price (muh broad range of applicable knowledge).

>What has been most disappointing?

Having to spend a lot of time in the cafeteria next to a lot of first year engineers who will very loudly circlejerk among themselves about how engineering is better than sex, how rich they will all be, how the other STEM majors are mostly pack-mules to their ends, and how humanities majors are all idiots. I have some buddies in engineering, and the ones who do that never make it past the first year.

Good luck and best wishes to any humanity fags out there, and always remember that a functional society is a joint effort. You can do it, faggot.
>>
>>8674
Same here. What eventually drove me away from that was the SPOOKY SCARY SKELETON crap they shoehorned into everything that wasn't early modern literature or linguistics.
>>
>>10537
>>10561

Thanks, bros, have some pictures I took of a copy of an old Physics journal my uni was handing out.

http://imgur.com/a/kPWPu
>>
>>10613
Are you from Sweden or somewhere? That's considered a joke even in my liberal country.
>>
>>10742

If you truly are interested in ethics, you will never get anything from a college setting, its infected
Read some Kant or someone else involved with it and it's much more stimulating
>>
>>10727
Applied online, got very lucky, they wanted fresh people to train their own way. It's a government job.
>>
>>10489

where'd you stay? I taught in Riyadh for 7 months. I found the climate to be terrible and the native population stupid. All the other expats (there were a bunch of us kept in a hotel with walls around it) became bitter alcoholics because they were ideological. It was good for me though because the pay was nice, there were prostitutes and I'm a pragmatic person - not an idealist. Never considered reading anything in Arabic aside from the Koran. The Koran has some nice language in it. Very poetic.
>>
>>10597

>It's everywhere m8

It's fucking depressing, but it really depends on your professor. There were two based ones that went into detail and the intricacies about shit like how the two-party system has worked over time, why the Executive is so powerful, how to interprete media coverage and research data etc. But then there was the dyke that spent a whole semester on why womyn are equal to men in front line combat and le patriarchy/buzzwords etc. Really killed the hype.
>>
>>10772
>That's a nice inferiority complex you've got there :^)

Yea don't listen to that guy, some people just look for mischief where there isnt one
Also I have a similar relationship to sci
I had an aptitude for math and sci as a child but I found Humanities to be far more interesting, and rewarding (personal opinion, no haterinos)
>>
>>10784
God, I love the filter
>>
You guys are all fucking doomed.

t. a 15 year cum laude graduate of history from a perfectly acceptable university.
>>
>>10226
>None of us here classify Women's Studies under humanities or anything on that matter
I don't really give a shit about your personal beliefs. Gender Studies, Women's Studies, Queer Studies, etc. simply are classified as Humanities. That's a reality that no amount of pomposity will change.

>If you think people give a flying FUCK about opinions or feelings in humanities, it means you never were seriously involved with in in a respectable setting.
Yeah, yeah, what I know is that all the Humanities courses I took as part of my "studium generale" (I don't know what the US equivalent to this is called, sorry) were complete garbage. One of them seemed to orbit around encouraging children to explore alternative gender identities in school environments, another was all about how women and minorities are being systemically oppressed in the publishing industry (this one was officially supposed to be about modern German prose). Not once was I taught anything that wasn't smeared with value judgments and ideology. Not once did I encounter academic neutrality.
>>
>>6853
I am studying Politics and International Relations. I enjoy it a lot. The most disappointing thing is other students who know nothing and cannot contribute to discussions.
>>
File: chill.jpg (99KB, 960x635px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
chill.jpg
99KB, 960x635px
English (UK Uni)

I have a reliable contact in publishing so I am maybe set. If that doesn't work then I'm probably fucked and I might do a law postgrad or something, or teaching (blech).

The course is pretty good and my professors have been excellent. Next term I have been timetabled with a low ranking tutor for a module in Victorian lit and when I googled them they looked like a complete wacko and their credentials are shit, so I'm trying to swap to Enlightenment lit for a better prof.

It's really a case of what you put in because there's 0 spoon feeding. Sometimes I feel a bit depressed because I'm not on the ball with a text or I find some lectures bad, but it's great when it clicks.

Some of my colleagues (even good friends) have bizarre and shallow opinions, but I've also spoken to a Maths kid who claims they can pass any philosophy exam without ever studying it and a Biology student who doesn't understand what Historians do and why we study it. I think this kind of bullshit is spread throughout the spectrum.
>>
>>10884

You went to a bullshit class/college then
>>
File: bojack-final.gif (336KB, 854x470px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
bojack-final.gif
336KB, 854x470px
>tfw studying English
>teacher brings up a list of authors/poets taught in primary to college level of school
>male list dwarfs the female list
>realise that I've spent my entire fucking life studying those 10 female authors/poets and the only males I recognised that I've studied in school were Shakespeare and Robert Browning
>male kek feminine unfunny old cunt of a lecturer has the gall to say " The gubbirment forces English to study old white men unfortunately and women don't get much of a chance, ugh"
I'm fucking done, why did I pick this stupid subject?
>>
Probably talking to a wall here but there's nothing wrong with feminism. However, I will concede and acknowledge that some lecturers may subscribe to the abhorrent third-wave strand which could certainly make any related classes/courses insufferable. Best to ignore everything related to what has happened in the last couple of years (aka everything that people probably think feminism is now, sadly, all tumblr tier militancy).

I took a women's lit. class and it wasn't all that bad for the first couple of weeks, honestly. Laid a very reasonable groundwork which did open my mind... But yeah, towards the end, third-wave happened.
>>
>>10844
I was in Doha, Cairo, and Amman.

The Qur'an is the epitome of literary Arabic, but there are so many poems, pre-Islamic and after, and also theological, legal, and philosophical works that are sublime.
>>
pursuing an MA in history.

It's politicization depends on who your supervisor is though tbqh
>>
>>10884
>Not once was I taught anything that wasn't smeared with value judgments and ideology. Not once did I encounter academic neutrality.

That is so NOT supposed to happen though, that is not proper humanities
>>
>>10844
>because they were ideological
Arab here again, what do you mean by that?
>>
>>10948
>It's politicization depends on who your supervisor is though tbqh

This
>>
>>6853

>Are any of you pursuing a degree in humanities?

Yes

>What are you studying?

I'm in year 2 of a " Classical Letters " degree (it's what we call Humanities in France these days) which means I study ancient literature (Latin and Greek mostly).

>Is it rewarding?

Yes because I finally got to learn Latin and Greek. Feels great.

>What has been most disappointing?

Pretty much everything else.
>>
>>10884
>I don't really give a shit about your personal beliefs

Calm the fuck down, and I dont give a shit about anyone else's. The things you listed are cancer and nothing else.
And if you had a bad experience, it means you had a bad experience, it is not the same everywhere. Rule of thumb: If the prof is female, avoid
>>
>>10936
>there's nothing wrong with feminism
Enough is enough. Hiro, shut down this board.
>>
>>11039
Did you even read my post?
>>
>>10784
God, what is that word filter
>>
Im studying international relations at what is probably the best dutch uni.

Its been pretty interesting, i have encountered no situations of biased profs or normative ideas being presented as fact. Its as academic as humanities gets.
>>
>>10936

We talk about "Feminism" in what it has become, not what it was truly supposed to be.
>>
>>10977

As a rule, avoid the crazy women. Many male academics in history are entirely normal people who just want to study the past.

It also depends where you come down on the postmodernism in history thing.
>>
>>11054
>Did you even read my post?

Nope, he probably is a /pol/tard and does not know how to read
>>
>>11054
>there's nothing wrong with feminism
>there's stuff wrong with feminism
Is all I got out of it.
>>
>>11087
>avoid the crazy women.

a.k.a avoid all women
>>
>>10920
What uni you go to senpai?
>>
>>11073
That's true. Can't be helped, I suppose.
>>
File: 1446078983935.png (798KB, 996x868px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1446078983935.png
798KB, 996x868px
>>10936
> Probably talking to a wall here but there's nothing wrong with feminism
>>
>>11070
>Its as academic as humanities gets.

Int Rel is almost mathematical, and serves an extremely specific purpose that isn't purely theory, thus they cant disrupt it no matter how hard they try

You chose a good field anon
>>
>>11137

Sad to see indeed, seeing that humans today, male or female, are being sold like cattle in the third world, while our whiners wont stop bitching about video games
>>
>>11123
My policy is not to say, friend. One of those high ranking ones that Oxbridge rejects go to though.
>>
>>11055
Social "Justice" "Warriors"
>>
>>10874
Testing for L E F T I S T
leftist
>>
Testing

Social Justice Warriors
>>
>>11268

Didnt work wtf
>>
Social Justice warriors
>>
>>10943

I'd love to check out Cairo - also probably going to teach in Morocco at some point.

>>10967
I was talking about my fellow white teachers being idealistic. A lot of them were kids fresh out of college. They got cultural relativity shoved down their throat for years. They think they'll go into Saudi Arabia and be welcomed and learn about some great now culture and that's not what it is at all. Every nation I have been too has been full of racists. Blatant racists. Americans (and especially upper middle class white americans) literally have no conception of this and literally think that only white people have ever been racist. They think the whole world is all one big family and every country would love it when foreigners come in. We land in country and they find out:

1) Saudis are extremely racist
2) Saudis defacto own slaves (and sometimes outright own slaves)
3) Saudis beat their slaves and don't think a thing of it
4) Weather is fucked
5) Saudis hate us (white people)
6) Saudis 'tolerate us' but treat us like children at best, we are not welcome into their society at all.
7) loud ass prayer bells

Good pay though, and prostitutes.

Poor kids.
>>
File: 1436778949396.jpg (149KB, 400x800px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1436778949396.jpg
149KB, 400x800px
>tfw History department in my uni is a conservative's paradise
>tfw both professors and students are conservatives and mostly patriotic

feels good
>>
>>11289

Maybe we're meant to make it singular?
>>
>>11311

Where the FUCK do you study and can I come there pls
>>
>>11311
Half of my department is right wingers (especially the military historians), half is the normal feminist womyn equality circle jerkers.
>>
>>11268

Social Justice Warrior
Jew
Nigger
Spic
Wetback
Degenerate
SPOOKY SCARY SKELETON
retard
miscegenation
>>
>>11375

the filter is "d u m b a s s"
>>
File: 1411076323589.png (81KB, 825x441px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1411076323589.png
81KB, 825x441px
>>11340
I'll just say it's Central Europe
>>
>>11296
>>literally have no conception of this

How the fuck are they supposed to? They've barely been out of their rich white neighborhood let alone their country, and they dont know how shitty the rest of the world is
>>
>>11218
Universities have a shit ton of students anyway. This is an anonymous board, not like I'll be able to track you down. I'm in a slightly high ranked uni in the UK too and it's a fucking bore because of how easy it is.
>>
>>11396

dumbass
>>
>>11396
>>11455

didnt work?
>>
Anyone go to Carleton university here?
>>
>>11480

I heard Carleton is good for I R and journalism
>>
File: 1416961632542.png (111KB, 261x279px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1416961632542.png
111KB, 261x279px
>>11475


lol, dumbass
>>
>>11506
Criminology as well
>>
>>11311
>being glad about political bias
Get out of academics please
>>
>>11558


If non bias was possible we'd love it
When it is inevitable, we will choose the conservative bias over the SPOOKY SCARY SKELETON bias, thank you very much
>>
>>11543
>Criminology

How is that major? I was going to study that but I went for Psyc instead, felt more broad
>>
>>11641
No, we discourage the bias and distance ourselves from it you pleb
>>
Guys the filter is

"es jay double u" as in letters, written together
>>
Finishing a criminology degree
don't want to go into law, worked with some lawyers, depressing and corrupt stuff.
Considering going into philosophy, I enjoy it, the classics and history.
have no idea what to do with my life or job.
>>
>>11658
I have no idea
>>
>>11695
>have no idea what to do with my life or job.

please, you're in 4chan, what the fck else
If you see anyone here bragging about their life choices, girlfriend or their well-paying career. its reddit
>>
>>6853
>BA in liberal arts: history
>Extensive humanities focused education
>Now a high school teacher

Ideally, i would like to go back to school and attain a higher degree but life doesnt always work out like that.

It was worth it though I wish i was a bit smarter about my college education. I was too young and immature going through college. For those who go to college later in life, i am envious.

The most disappointing things about humanities was the majority of people who took the class without any care for the subject. Must have been told it was an easy class or something. Another disappointment was the students of history who would spout 4chan memes in class about history as if they knew what they were talking about. Yes, tell us how you know the ins and outs of soviet russia before even taking this course on the history of that nation. Bugged me quite a lot.
>>
>>11695
>criminology degree

How is it? What does it involve
>>
>>11422

Ironically, the ones I have kept in contact with don't teach anymore. They went back to their comfortable upper middle class american communities and 'look back fondly' on their time abroad, which is a lie. To each their own I guess.
>>
>>11764
How is being a high school teacher anyway? Is it as time consuming and depressing as people make it out to be?
>>
>>11764

I killed a few years in exchange programs, so I started college pretty old
I'm pursuing a degree in Psychology and would like to get a PhD if possible

Any "heads up"s or tips you'd give that you learned during your time?
>>
I'm finishing up with Psychology and taking up on History. The first one as a career choice and the second one mainly because I can and love it.

Psychology can really be a doubled-edged sword. It's amazingly interesting and there are some real masterminds behind some of it, like in the behaviourist and cognitivist theories. Shit that makes sense, can be tested and applied. On the other hand, there's the hordes of woman who decide to study psychology for all the wrongs reasons and the mindless followers of shitty pseudo-scientific theories like psychoanalysis and humanism. Still, I dig it.

History requires no explanation. I got lucky and found myself a great university, with the best history course in the whole country, despite the institution not being nowhere near the best. I've learned about historiography, historical documents, how to conduct proper research, how to identify good source material and much more. It's extremely gratifying.
>>
File: 1383037383306.jpg (109KB, 1040x746px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1383037383306.jpg
109KB, 1040x746px
>>11880
>there are some real masterminds behind some of it
>like in the behaviourist and cognitivist theories.
>>
>>11880
>there's the hordes of woman who decide to study psychology for all the wrongs reasons and the mindless followers of shitty pseudo-scientific theories like psychoanalysis and humanism

Yea I see those in my first year psyc class, thats why I dont even go to lectures anymore I just follow from notes/book/slides

Dont these people quit after the first couple years though?
>>
>>11880
>there's the hordes of woman who decide to study psychology for all the wrongs reasons
Seriously, what is up with this? About 3/4s of the girls from my college (UK here, so college is equivalent to the last two years of highschool) went on to study Psychology.
>>
>>12054

Dont worry those idiots drop out after taking first year psyc, it ends up being not what they thought it was
>>
>>12054

because "LOL BRAIN AND HUMANS I WANNA KNOW"
But they end up failing miserably for the most part, psyc classes dont fuck around
>>
>>11962

Most of them do. I'm in the fourth year of a five years course and I've lost around 70% of classmates that I believed were in the wrong course.

>>11936

Control your shitposting impulses and explain why you disagree instead of just shitting on my opinion for the sake of it.

>>12054

They seem to believe that there is some magical way of understanding every human being on the planet. They think psychology is about helping others and being really emotional and empathic, while mostly it's just identifying behaviour patterns, being completely neutral towards your subjects of study and generally ruining everybody's lives by pointing out loopholes on their ways of thinking and behaving.
>>
>>11880

History is one of those degrees that is intensely school specific. A good supervisor can really change your whole educational experience.
>>
>>11788
baiscally, police powers, social work and law
pretty interesting stuff, got to see what forensics is like, had a course on ethics, and took some electives in classics
it helped piqued my interest in philosophy and that path. I was already interested but didnt think i could use it as a career. Intended to be a lawyer but saw the ugly side to it. Now I'm adrift. Don't want to really be a cop though it'd be stable
>>
>>6853
I study Law in the UK. I am not sure if it is a humanities subject, truly. I would have preferred to have studied a more expansive subject such as politics as such a subject is much more lively and engaging.

That being said, I do find Law satisfying intellectually. It requires great feats of memory, complex reasoning skills, and creative skills in applying statutes and judgments to particular facts, and also creativity in establishing novel legal theories.

I suppose Law is probably the "humanities" subject which is the most employable, so it's worthwhile on that front. I sometimes feel that my intellect is not being as sharpened as it could have been. I can talk all day about Law, but I could offer very little sophisticated thought on the fall of the Roman Empire, or Wordsworth's Romanticism innovations; it's too focused on dry practical areas.

This probably is only made worse by the way undergraduate degrees are taught in the England & Wales. We choose one "major" and we study only that—no general education requirements and very little freedom to explore multiple subjects.
>>
>>10613
Nigga are you crazy? Even my libfuck uni in MA places facts above feelings 100% of the time, the amount of tumblr tards that get triggered because of it fuels me
>>
>>11845
be prepared to read, literally all day every day.
>>
>>6853
Studying Philosophy and English joint BA currently

>is it rewarding
Yes and no, I feel like I'm surrounded by idiots who just fell into the subjects by accident rather than having any sincere interest, the material is very ground level stuff rarely going into a depth or nuance. I'm glad I took it though just to demystify the actual environment and standards but I don't think I'll find anything engaging until post graduate studies.

>what has been most disapointing
Again it has to be the level of my fellow students, there's few people I can find that I'd actually find to have interesting views or arguments, they just either repeat what the lecturers said or have some terrible reddit tier opinions they steal from the internet.
>>
>>11296
>They think the whole world is all one big family and every country would love it when foreigners come in

Topkek. Syrians are kind of Racist but in a more ignorant way. They always ask me why blacks are so dumb, but most have never seen a black person. Strangely these feelings about blacks result more from watching American movies than from Arab culture.

>Good pay though, and prostitutes

What kind of prostitutes? Local? White? Asian?
>>
>>12206
>while mostly it's just identifying behaviour patterns, being completely neutral towards your subjects of study and generally ruining everybody's lives by pointing out loopholes on their ways of thinking and behaving.
>>
>>11827
>look back fondly' on their time abroad, which is a lie

Cognitive Dissonance friend, a lie told to justify our our actions to ourselves.
>>
>>11438
Which uni are you at? What are you studying?
>>
>>12206
>Control your shitposting impulses and explain why you disagree instead of just shitting on my opinion for the sake of it.

Those people are from /b/ and /pol/ my friend, they can not control their shitposting impulses, their whole life is a giant shitpost
>>
>>12501

Hello my fellow psyc negroid, how are you today

What uni are you studying in
>>
>>12534
Queen Mary London University and Comparative Literature. Comp, Lit is essentially the same shit as English Literature except it's European Lit. and you often need to know a second language to study it though that's not necessary at the University I'm at.
>>
File: Farage.jpg (17KB, 458x314px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Farage.jpg
17KB, 458x314px
>>12501
>Cognitive Dissonance friend, a lie told to justify our our actions to ourselves.
>>
>>12692

What does greentexting that even mean? He mentioned a legit psychological theory, piss off if you cant deal with it
>>
>>12568
>/pol/
Check the catalogue, tumblr. The shitposting is from your friends.
>>
>>12627
>Hello my fellow psyc negroid, how are you today

Not studying psyc and I'm the Arab. I just know of the concept.

>What uni are you studying in

Brown.

>>12692
Delete an "our"
>>
>Are any of you pursuing a degree in humanities?
I was then I realized how stupid that idea was and switched to Medicine.
>Is it rewarding?
kek
>What has been most disappointing?
You're literally wasting your life learning half truths,unobjective opinions,being fed propaganda,etc.
>>
>>12739

Caught one
>>
File: full.jpg (27KB, 600x337px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
full.jpg
27KB, 600x337px
>>12732
>What does greentexting that even mean? He mentioned a legit psychological theory, piss off if you cant deal with it
>>
>>12653
Aye, I know QMUL quite well. I got an offer for Law from there, but I turned it down in favour of Exeter.

So if you don't study any second languages, do you simply just British–European Literature? Or do you get translated copies of European Lit? And what year are you in?
>>
>>12770
>somebody called me out on my shilling
>le got you

Simply ebin :^)
>>
>>11311
>>11406
>being happy about being in a third world department earning a meme degree
>>
>>12732
lel you guys are getting triggered so easy, this board is going to be fun for the first few weeks
>>
>>12866
>>12807

and that's 2
You guys are so obvious, this board is going to be fun for the first few weeks
>>
>>12627
Someone knowing the term cognitive dissonance means they study psychology? I thought it meant they'd be on the Internet for more than a week. My mistake.
>>
>>12910

Not necessarily, I supposed it because it was literally under a pysc discussion
You're trying too hard
>>
I have a ba in history, I loved studying history. unfortunatly I havent been able to get a job out of it, I'm debating going to grad school since I didn't focus enough in the first place so I am not sure I could compete with those super serious students who put in the effort in every undergrad class. Even then getting a professorship is not that likely to begin with.
>>
File: 1444737759053.jpg (47KB, 650x427px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1444737759053.jpg
47KB, 650x427px
>>12953
>You're trying too hard

Dohohoh the irony
>>
File: 1434318083978.jpg (49KB, 427x640px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1434318083978.jpg
49KB, 427x640px
>tfw stuck in STEM
>tfw other STEM students shit on humanities
>>
>>8344
> No one seems to be as motivated or interested as I am

Same problem, except I stayed the hell away from university. I think you'll find that lots of the most interested and interesting people are not pursuing degrees in the fields that most interest them, for a multitude of reasons
>>
>>13066
>>tfw other STEM students shit on humanities

They dont know jackshit about it, why even listen
Most are too dumb to show you where India is, let alone engage in any sort of intellectual conversation
>>
>>12801
No kidding, I applied to Exeter too but I didn't make the grades unfortunately. I'm glad in a way since I don't think I'd like moving away from London.

You study translated copies of the few non-English texts we do yeah. I'm not too keen on studying translated texts for obvious reasons so I've avoided including them in my essays though. I'm in my second year, first was a cake walk and didn't matter much anyway.
>>
>>8344
This faggot is getting 8 degrees and they are all USELESS!

>>/lit/
>>
>>12953
I am not even the person you're arguing with. I simply found it curious that you'd assume someone studies psychology for knowing such a simple term.

Is it even possible to try too hard with regard to psychology? People only study it because they didn't try enough at school.
>>
>>13163
>People only study it because they didn't try enough at school.

>implying
>>
tfw got into fallback degree for career stability as opposed to pursuing passion in classics and literature since I didn't think I could make a job/living of it.
fuck me what to do
>>
>>13163
>Is it even possible to try too hard with regard to psychology

Thats not even what he was saying you tard
Also maybe where you're from what you said is true, everywhere else a decent psyc program is very hard to get into
Not to mention that it is a legit and respected field of study that attracts people who are interested in it
Your assumptions are ridiculous
>>
File: Rc9hobB.jpg (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Rc9hobB.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
>>6853
>Are any of you pursuing a degree in humanities?
Wait, you dropped this.
[Future]
>>
>>13163
>People only study it because they didn't try enough at school.

Is that why I was asked for a 95 average from highschool to get in to psyc
>>
>>13144
Exeter is a small little "city", so might have made the right choice (especially if you are used to Landaan). Plus, if you're on the lower end of the social ladder, you might find the Jack Wills-wearing twonks a little insufferable. QMUL/Exeter ... both good RG unis, so you haven't lost out on anything academically.

Second year, as well. That does sound quite interesting. What non-English have you read and how do you think it compares to English texts? I am just a novice here, but I find the question interesting. Know how people say that if a lion could speak English, we could not communicate with it because we'd have no point of reference, no mutual ground? Is there any such differences in European language?
>>
>>6853

WHO /Bachelors of the Arts - History/ HERE?
>>
>>13298
Top kek
>>
File: 1403390116320s.jpg (2KB, 125x119px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1403390116320s.jpg
2KB, 125x119px
>>13273
>this is the guy that felt smart because he knew the term cognitive dissonence
>>
>>13298

I dont get it
>>
>>13404

No I'm not him,and that guy didnt even say anything, it was someone else who thought he was
>>
>>13113
That's why I hide my powerlevel.
>>
>>13304
Where did you end up studying? Cambridge asks for really high grades for psychology, but that doesn't mean psychology in general is challenging course on which to gain entry.

>>13273
I know. I just found it funny to suffix that little dig considering how unnecessarily rude he was to me. It seemed to have worked. It also helps that what I said was true: psychology is an easy subject.
>>
File: 1409223137938.jpg (19KB, 250x250px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1409223137938.jpg
19KB, 250x250px
>>13092
Oh and of course you're one of them anon
>>
>>13495
I did say "think" and I prefaced it by saying I didn't go to university, so of course I don't know for sure.

Also, I claim to be interested and interesting, not smart and capable.
>>
>>13459
>psychology is an easy subject.

And where do you get the authority to say that exactly? Did you take like one course and decide it was so?
If all math that I ever knew was grade 9 level I would think it was easy
>>
>>13113
>Most are too dumb to show you where India is
The fact that you cannot make a distinction between knowledge and intelligence proves STEM students right.
The fact that you think knowing where the designated shitting fields of the world are is more important than knowing the fundamentals of the universe and life shows how fucking shallow your pseudo intellectualism is.
Sorry for my english
>>
>>13594
Sounds like some cognitive dissonance to me friend, a lie told to justify our our actions to ourselves
>>
File: implier.jpg (9KB, 188x200px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
implier.jpg
9KB, 188x200px
>>13459
>psychology is an easy subject.
>>
>>13677
>The fact that you cannot make a distinction between knowledge and intelligence proves STEM students right.

No it doesnt, the fallacy fallacy

That guy's argument was retarded but yours is just as so
>>
>>13635
In psychology you just talk about your feelings and other people's feelings and get an A.
>>
>>13677
>he believes giving arbitrary value to knowledge has any objective meaning

Found the stem babby
>>
>>13754

Isnt baiting outside of /b/ bannable?
>>
>>13677
Maybe you faggots should drop the holier than thou attitude, because i dont know shit about your subject, so stop acting like you know shit about mine
Not that guy btw
>>
>>13687
Several of my friends are in university and report similar experiences, but it's possible of course. We also might be elitists in ways we haven't discovered yet but we make a conscious effort to avoid elitism so I don't think so
>>
>>13780
I took 2 courses in psychology and this was my experience. All the psychology majors were dumb af too.
>>
>>13780
No dumbass it isn't
>>
>>13635
I have studied it at a high level. I am not exactly sure what 9th grade is equivalent to on my end, and perhaps you have shown yourself to be a US chauvinist in assuming I would. Further to my having studied it, I have proofread psychology students' essays at an undergraduate level (including one friend who is a third-year psychology student at HKU).

Where does your authority come from? Your associate's at your local community college?
>>
>>13822

And your experience defines the entire field?
>>
>>13740
That's the fallacy fallacy fallacy, just because he committed the fallacy fallacy doesn't mean he's wrong
>>
>>13814
Nah dude, you're just ignorant and trying to justify your insecurity of not being adequately educated, trust me I study psychology
>>
>>13346
A bulk of what we read was primarily related to teaching in schools since I guess a lot of graduates end up as teachers. We generally studied novels like Hard Times and The Prodigy with the odd movie here and there about teaching like Dead Poets Society. Honestly, there isn't much difference between the texts. It's just a lot of melancholic fuck the government and society, depressed type attitudes.

We studied a lot of German medieval poetry, alliterative verse style poetry in general, like Hildebrandslied and Muspilli. Compared to texts like Beowulf, it's honestly not that different. They're strikingly similar in fact. It's usually because the medieval period featured a shit ton of immigration from the East sporadically spread throughout the entirety of Europe so I suppose cultures and influences were similar. The immigrants brought their old texts with them too and they were translated in multiple languages. That's what I learnt from the future lectures I attended at least, don't take my word for it.
>>
>>13850
It's not just my experience, a lot of psychology majors even agreed with my assessment of their field. Face it: it doesn't take much intelligence to become a psychology.
>>
>>13831
>Where does your authority come from?

Master's Psyc

And if you truly have studied it at a higher level like you claim, it means you're still ridiculous enough to give arbitrary "difficulty" values to fields and compare them as such

Perhaps the school you went to was shitty
>>
>>13897
>to become a psychology.

KEK
>>
>>13785
Your subjects are of less value at best and an overglorified hobby most times.
>>
>>13897
>psychology majors

All students are idiots
ALso if the ones you talked to were keks, that still doesnt prove anything
>>
>>13939

Your reddit is showing
>>
File: 1443122658096.png (41KB, 207x197px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1443122658096.png
41KB, 207x197px
>>13939
>>
File: 1445126874131.jpg (455KB, 4272x3204px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1445126874131.jpg
455KB, 4272x3204px
>>13939

HURRRRR
>>
>>13939
Go back to reddit child, you clearly know nothing of history if you believe it to be unimportant
>>
>>13906
As I said, I did not study in the US. My work was not marked by my teachers, but rather was externally verified by an examination board. I achieved the highest grade amongst 50 students who took the course, higher than people who actually ended up studying it themselves. Admittedly, they ended up studying it at shitty universities. I guess much like yourself.

If you truly do have a master's, I assume it's from somewhere shit or else you're admitting that you have some degree of smarts but have committed yourself to a dead-end area of academia. I am not sure which is worse.
>>
File: 1445388694173.jpg (128KB, 596x641px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1445388694173.jpg
128KB, 596x641px
>>6853
>tfw medieval studies
>>8781
>
>>
>>13959
>My african american music history education is as valuable as a neurosurgeon's
Is this a meme? I dont get it.
>>
>>13939
How do you define value? In terms of "contributing to society" (read: working your ass off for a wage), maybe. In terms of self-actualization, humanities are much more valuable than STEM (and I say that as someone in the field). The latter also means jobs that involve spreading humanities subjects contribute to the actualization of other individuals (and thus to society in a real way). Your value system is a bit fucked
>>
File: 1401553293702.jpg (27KB, 350x468px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1401553293702.jpg
27KB, 350x468px
>>13959
>>13999
>>14028
>>14034
>eating this obvious of bait

Looks like your psychology degree isn't much help afterall
>>
>>13887
Ahh, I see. I thought that might be the case (due to the shared language traits and culture). However, I did read some Dostoevsky and found his work (along with other Russian novels) to have a distinctive dry style of writing. I remember reading a parenthetical clause within a parenthetical clause, and then a whole string of semicolons.
>>
>>14117
>>My african american music history education is as valuable as a neurosurgeon's

Implying thats what we're talking about
>>
>>14117

see >>14141

Also the shit you mentioned isnt respected by us either
>>
>>13944
All psychology students are idiots and they're the most idiotic students in general. Sorry for shattering your illusion that babbling about your feeling on a piece of paper requires any sort of rigor or thought. Go to any campus to find out for yourself.
>>
>>13944
You know what, I'll concede that psychology is probably hard for *you*. If you had an IQ above 80, it wouldn't be hard.
>>
>What are you studying?
History

>Is it rewarding?
No

>What has been most disappointing?
Considering my prospects after college
>>
>>14233
If you dont respect the shit I mentioned while studying equally worthless crap like,for example,this>>14107
Then how do you expect me to take you seriously,you hypocrite
>>
>>14277
>babbling about your feeling on a piece of paper

What shitty school did you go to if that was what psyc students had to do
>>
>>14402
Can't you become a high school teacher?
>>
>>6853
I'm into the second year of a history degree in the UK.

I've discovered (unfortunately too late) that there is actually little about the study of history I enjoy. I love reading books on history, I love visiting museums, I particularly like historical maps but I can't stand trawling through sources, compiling essays or studying historiography.

Wish I had done a politics degree instead but hey ho.
>>
>>14277
>your feeling on a piece of paper

Is this a meme, or this what people actually think psychology is?
>>
>>9369
I know you don't want this answer, but just google the jobs that you can get with "X" Degree. People who don't have a job in America are lazy, not unlucky or a victim of a bad economy. And that whole STEM Degree thing guaranteeing you a job is a complete lie.
>>
>>9650
How edgy.
>>
>>14164
>tfw /sci/ humor

Feels good.
>>
>>14453
Where you studying?
>>
>>10776
>not being able to troll kekgineers into oblivion

Despite being utter cancer, the big bang theory was right about them being the oompa loompas of science
>>
>>14356

Why do I even bother with edgyass fucks like you
>>
>>10273
Then you weren't ambitious with it. Seeing with how you're ok with your wife taking care of your family and you becoming a librarian is very telling of what kind of per on you are.
>>
>>13785
Chances are they know far more about your subject than you know about theirs though
>>
>>14552
Winchester, too stupid for a Russel Group uni but at least it's an ancient city.
>>
>>14496
This is partially true.

Where I live STEMfags are being laid off by the droves due to an economic downturn. No job is truly recession proof.
>>
Your degree honestly doesn't matter as much as a lot of you seem to think. Build up on that experience and networking first and foremost.
>>
>>14816

ssshh stop making sense, you'll anger the kekgineers
>>
>>14705
>No job is truly recession proof.
This is absolute rubbish.
There are jobs that are nuclear war proof even,like being a fucking doctor.
>>
>>14816
Your degree does not matter half as much as where the degree is from.

>>14904
Engineers are an exception to that rule. They are definitely more employable than history grads.
>>
>>14963
>They are definitely more employable than history grads.

Oh yea that is true, but the idea is that you generally dont study history to be employable

If you're VERY good at it, that is conducting research, teaching, contributing and scholarship in general, you'll catch some of the rare academic positions
Other than that shits out of luck, unless you're in the top 5% of historians you gon stay hungry
>>
File: 123.png (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
123.png
17KB, 300x300px
Anyone else doing economics? How fucked are we?
>>
>>14928
The employment of doctors fluctuates and it can be affected by the economy
>>
>>15037
>Oh yea that is true, but the idea is that you generally dont study history to be employable
If you go to a decent school, it is possible to get into decent grad work. It's the shit schools where it becomes difficult to get work.
>>
>>14963
>They are definitely more employable than history grads
Hey, there's no disputing that but people who give up because they have a degree in something with low career prospects are just retarded. You can't use your degree as an excuse for laziness. Go out and go to the millions of conventions held for all different kinds of jobs and find something you'll like, grab a few business cards and see if there's any way you can worm your way into a job in that field. You gotta start low to get somewhere too.
>>
File: 34656.png (256KB, 542x640px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
34656.png
256KB, 542x640px
>>14412
>worthless
well fuck you too
at least i have fun though
>>
>>15137

Thats kinda what I meant
An engineering degree is an engineering degree, even if u barely pass it with C's someone will hire you
You have to be in a very good school and overachieve very hard to get decent employment in history and classics
>>
>>15133
That's just them being picky about salaries,there is always a shortage of doctors in public hospitals/clinic,
>>
>>14412
>taking a stab at someone that wasn't part of your petty argument
That's mean, senpai.
>>
>>15279
I'm glad you found a nice hobby,just dont expect it to pay off.
>>
>>15280
What you should infer is that if you're an average student, across STEM and humanities, go do STEM. If you're above average in the humanities, then go do that.

History grads do have a whole load of transferable skills, so I don't accept your analysis that only a few will get suitable grad work in academia. There are history grads in public services, business, accountancy, banking. It really comes down to the credibility of your claim when you say you have these skills; and the university you attended gives you this credibility.
>>
File: IMG_2755.png (191KB, 477x768px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
IMG_2755.png
191KB, 477x768px
>>15389
>I'm glad you found a nice hobby
so what are you doing then senpai
>>
>>15531
I also have history as a hobby but I study a real career.
>>
>>15611
>too ashamed to say what it is
lmao, what a pussy
>>
>>15672
You never asked fuccboi
Medicine
>>
>tfw wanted to study philosophy
>only one university in my country has philosophy as a major
>it's continental

I'm majoring at physics right now
>>
Currently going through a History degree, and hoping to get into law school post grad. Money is not an issue thanks to scholarships. Apparently if your dad is a disabled veteran you get free tuition to state schools. Thanks dad.
>>
>>15891
Good man,continental philosophy is one of the reasons my country is third world.
>>
>>6853
Polsci and IR here. Lately, for whatever reason, the econometrics part has become really fulfilling. I guess it's the ability to test hypothesis.
>>
>>16102

Also sometimes it feels refreshing to deal with things that are numerical
>>
>>15803
>Medicine
>real career
kekeekekekekekekek
medieval studies guy here
your career is a fucking joke unless youre in medical school
>>
File: 1410495489613.jpg (8KB, 300x173px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1410495489613.jpg
8KB, 300x173px
>>6853
yes and I hate it
Anthropology and I'm sick of it at this point, just want to get my degree and be done with it.

signed up for the Military either way so not going to use it really.

wish I had taken architecture instead, or at least a focus on History.
>>
>>16249
Where the hell would I study medicine if not medschool? the hood?
>>
>>16395
Which med school?
>>
>>15803

Ayy a fellow med bro. First year reporting in, I'd rather spend time on here than learn all the innervation of the extremities, but life doesn't work that way.
>>
>>16413
You wouldnt know it, its europoor and only has a few Nobel laureates.
>>
>>16486
Britfag, so maybe I would.
>>
>>16395
you could be premed a nurse or on the path to being a P.A.
whatever senpai, i have an engineering degree too but im not sure i want to be miserable for the next 40 years.

have fun selling your soul
hope it works out well
>>
>>16194
It really does. Unfortunately, since now it's all about R or Stata, it's barely numerical and feels more like programming. Still fun, tho.
>>
>>16480
> I'd rather spend time on here than learn all the innervation of the extremities
Kek that's the easiest part of anatomy,wait until you get to the brain.
>>16500
>you could be premed a nurse or on the path to being a P.A.
I said I was a med student not a buttcleaner.
>have fun selling your soul
Why? unlike engineering,medicine is fascinating and fun(I have a load of respect for engie students though)
>>16499
British medschools have more than a few nobel laureates,cheer up m8,you're only second to the USA in research afaik
>>
>>16630
>medicine is fascinating and fun
why
>>
>>16688
Because ordering police officers around like they were your bitches at the site of an accident by just mentioning you are in medschool is one of the highest power trips I got in my life.
Because eviscerating people is fun.
Because watching people panic while you are collected is fun.
Because biochemistry,genetics and neurology are fun and eye opener.
Because my father letting me falsify my own prescriptions using his signature and licence number is convenient(and fun when I feel like getting high)
Because pathologies are fascinating.
Because using unclaimed corpses as toys is fun.
Because telling people what to do is fun.
Etc
>>
>>16947
>by just mentioning you are in medschool is one of the highest power trips I got in my life
fag.
most lame thing i have seen posted all day
>Because eviscerating people is fun
nice edge m8
>Because watching people panic while you are collected is fun.
fucking damn do you have a wetstone in your room by which you keep such sharp blades?
>Because biochemistry,genetics and neurology are fun and eye opener.
pfffffffffffffffffffttttttttt
bionengineer here
nothing eye opening there
>Because my father letting me falsify my own prescriptions using his signature and licence number is convenient(and fun when I feel like getting high)
wow
all i have to fucking say
such a cool boi
>Because pathologies are fascinating.
>Because using unclaimed corpses as toys is fun.
>Because telling people what to do is fun.

edginess the post
is this what doctors are like? complete spooky scary skeletons or total assholes?
most faggoty post ive read all day
>>
>>17234
I'm sorry your grades were not good enough for medschool anon,that's no reason to become this bitter.
Also while there is no shortage of spooky skeletons,they are usually class materials not students.
>>
>>16947
Reminder that you will be a physician, not a real doctor.
>>
>>17398
>I'm sorry your grades were not good enough
>i call out what was clearly an edgy as fuck post
>resorts to:
>YOURE GRADES LOL
typical med school student
still undergrad and not as much of a fucking tryhard
grow up you little faggot
>they are usually class materials not students.
m8 did you go to the premed club as an undergrad sjws are like 90% of the class
50% is women so of course the number of sjws is massive
>>
>>17454
not him but why isnt a physician a real doctor
>>
>>17561
Typical non med student inferiority complex.
Grow up? tell me how much of an adult you are when you were never faced with life and death situations and the responsibility of another human's life in your hands.
Faggot
>m8 did you go to the premed club as an undergrad sjws are like 90% of the class
I dunno what you are talking about,tumblr hates doctors and med students more than they hate MRAs
Besides premeds only exist in the usa and canada dumbass.
>50% is women so of course the number of sjws is massive
"Hurr women = leftwing,/pol/ told me so "
>>
>>18118
>Typical non med student inferiority complex.
lol wow keep proving my point
>tell me how much of an adult you are when you were never faced with life and death situations and the responsibility of another human's life in your hands.
>Faggot
day superiority complex
>"Hurr women = leftwing,/pol/ told me so "
D E L U S I O N
E
L
U
S
I
O
N
>>
File: 1424563401299.jpg (81KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1424563401299.jpg
81KB, 1024x768px
Political Science

I dont know what to do with my life.
>>
>>6853

I have a bachelor's in history, I switched to computer science for grad school. I feel a lot more well rounded so I think it was worthwhile.
>>
>>19292
Get a job?
>>
>>19292
>Political Science

I'm a high school senior and I'm planning on majoring in this or economics.

>Literally nothing else interests me, I don't give a damn for STEM anymore.
>>
>>19292
Totally unrelated to the major, but my friend dual majored in pol Sci and philosophy (2 most useless degrees) and is now working as a claims rep for an insurance company. He actually really likes the work, has been there about 6 months, and started at 55k/yr. In all honesty, the majority of people end up in a career field not related to their major.
>>
>>19292
>>20726
enjoy having to cover your ass whenever someone asks you what your major is and/or having people assume you're doing that just for a juris doctor later on down the line
>>
I graduated with a B.A. in Sociology back in the Spring.

I'm not going to pursue a career as a Sociologist, but everything I learned about research methods, I believe, is going to be incredibly useful to me in future.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 32


[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.