[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car Culture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Was the automobile the worst thing to happen to American society? America would be a much better place today if we didn't scrap all of our streetcars and interurbans for highways.
>>
>>60019
no
>>
>>60019
Fuck, some anon posted a great link to this a while ago, but now I can't find it.

Anyway, the Eisenhower Highway System, while officially for defence purposes - was primarily to increase consumption and usage of cars, before that there existed a pretty good public transportation system.

The public transport was also bought up by several car manufacturers at the same time - when we also see a rapid decline in it's usage. While this was later considered a cartel agreement - the one who confiscated it was the same Eisenhower.
>>
>>62528
You're probably thinking of the "great streetcar conspiracy," which was actually proven to be a legitimate conspiracy by GM to end existing streetcar service in major cities and replace it with buses (made by GM, of course) and highways.

There's a good thread about this on /n/, the transportation board.

>>>/n/872507
>>
File: McMansion,_Munster,_Indiana.jpg (423KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
McMansion,_Munster,_Indiana.jpg
423KB, 1152x864px
Absolutely yes. North America had/has absolutely everything going for it - space, natural beauty, wealth, peace - but fucked it up totally by utterly destroying almost all its cities through sprawl.

If I could go back in time and change one thing, it would no-joke be to ban the personal ownership of automobiles.
>>
>>60019
car culture is the ultimate expression of autonomy

man traded the horse for communal transport like trains and ships during the industrial era

theres just a natural pressure individual car ownership in a society rich enough for this to be affordable to regular folk
>>
File: white_society.jpg (61KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
white_society.jpg
61KB, 620x372px
This could be your future, America - but no.
>>
>>64971
This post doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>64971
Fuck you, the Shire sucks.
>>
America after WWII became shit.
>>
>>63898
The only time car culture can express autonomy is through massive public investment in free-to-use infrastructure.

Which removes autonomy from everyone who has not yet bought into car culture. Wow, such autonomy.

It's a pretty terrible ideal of autonomy. Urbanism does it better.
>>
>>60019

They are inefficient, dangerous and pollutive.

Look at your typical strip mall. Parking lots are at least 2 times the area of the stores they serve. I wish I lived in he horse and buggy days living in a compact city with people out on the street instead of boxed off in a tinted car.
>>
>>66253
>Urbanism is autonomous

Are you fucking serious?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.