[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me again why Alexander of Macedon is so great? >because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

File: lel.jpg (424KB, 948x1332px) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
424KB, 948x1332px
Tell me again why Alexander of Macedon is so great?

>because he conquered it all in one lifetime!

Looks like he just took Persia, and not even at its height.

"Conquered the known world" my ass.
>>
>kicking the ass of the egyptians
>kicking the ass of the persians
>managed to do it while being an insane wroth drunken narcissist
>>
>>58277
at 500bc his empire did have most of the known world in it
>>
Impacted European and Asian culture for centuries. Distilled imperialistic ideals. Just the perfect example of a classical leader.
>>
>>58372
He had zero impact on China or Europe you rube.
>>
>>58483
Europe and china were irrelvenat at 500 B.C mostly being shitty tribes
hence the whole "Conquered the known world" stuff
>>
>>58312

>insane drunken narcissist

every leader ever
>>
>>58483
>China = Asia
>zero impact on Europe
>one of if not the most popular characters of medieval literature into the 15th century, influencing people even then
>zero impact on Europe
>>
>>58564

So because he became a semi-popular figure in European folklore this is a tremendous impact?

>>58536

The Persian Empire at its height was larger than Alaxander's, not to mention a bit more stable.
>>
>>58664
>The Persian Empire at its height was larger than Alexander's
how is that relevant to the discussion?
>>
>>58277
Hellenism.
just like genghiz khan the after effects of his conquest was far more important than his conquests to world history

without alexander there would be no helllenization or hellenistic culture
>>
Diogenes.
>>
>>58277
bibliography on Alexander the Great
http://pastebin.com/mQyZed6u

to free download:
http://bookzz.org/
>>
>>58277
except he did conquer most of the known world at the time you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>58664
He did indirectly impact the romans, because when the Romans conquered the East, they were basically inheriting the framework that Alexander and his greek successors had set up over the generations. A lot of Greek-infused eastern cults and religions poured into Rome when this happened. Not to mention the fact that the Greek was the language of the Eastern mediterranean (and eventually influencing Russia, Eastern Europe) for over 1000 years was cause Alexander
>>
>>58840
>without alexander there would be no helllenization or hellenistic culture

This. Nowadays historians call the epoch his rule started the one of 'hellenism'. It's the foundation on which the roman empire set it's roots and ultimately on which europe was created.
>>
It's not for the conquering that he's great, but the spreading of Hellenistic culture further than any culture had been spread yet in the history of mankind at the time. It completely changed the ancient world.
>>
>>59039

Europe was founded by the barbarian invasions of the 5th century. The Greeks were not western and really had nothing to do with the invention of the West.
>>
>>58664
>So because he became a semi-popular
A very popular figure.
>this is a tremendous impact?
It is because of his tremendous impact that he is popular.
>>
>>58277
Because in this timeframe of the world, the army you began your expedition was the army you had to work with for however many years of the campaign.

This is also the era when *one* decisive loss could spell the doom of your empire. Arming your commoners was simply not something you did until the Napoleonic times, so the vast majority of your infantry came from landowners or nobles. You lose them all, and you lose the heirs to the ruling class.

So, knowing very well that the loss of your army would mean the loss of your empire, would *you* have gone to war? Or would you stay in the capital wallowing in decadence?

Now you know why Alexander was considered "great." He was willing to risk it all, and he had strategic know-how to materialize success.
>>
Diogenes pls shitpost somewhere else
>>
>>59132

So he is important like how King Aurthur was important, except even less so.
>>
>>59120
Except when said barbarians began to mix Roman culture with their own, and we get modern Europe.
>>
File: Zhou city plan.jpg (11KB, 366x225px) Image search: [Google]
Zhou city plan.jpg
11KB, 366x225px
>>58536
>Europe and china were irrelvenat at 500 B.C mostly being shitty tribes
>Zhou Dynasty
>Italia
>All those Greek city states plastered in French/Spanish coast
Yes...Tribes.
>>
File: persepolis[1].jpg (1007KB, 1345x959px) Image search: [Google]
persepolis[1].jpg
1007KB, 1345x959px
He was actually a little shit that didn't know how to do anything other than war. He destroyed shit and then he died, leaving a broken empire with warring administrators.
>>
>>59171
No.
Do you have a learning disability?
>>
>>58958
Known to Macedonians.

Whoopty shit.

By that criteria, I conquered the known world last night when I took the last pizza slice you retarded clown.
>>
>>58978

The Romans only briefly held Mesopotamia though, and never conqured Persia. Not to mention I think Alaxander's models were influenced by the Persian satraps.
>>
>>59190
You sound like a mad turkuck.
>>
>>59208
Your brain is conquered by severe retardation.
>>
>>59232
kek
>>
>>59212
You're right, but what I meant was that Alexander's successors hellenized the ruling elites of Anatolia, Egypt, Syria and Palestine. When Rome came to the East they left this hellenistic culture intact, and that ensured that when the Eastern Empire succeeded the Roman one, Greek culture persisted in an evolve form and would go on to Muscovy, Kiev, Bulgaria and Serbia and even Italy during the Renaissance as the conquest of Constantinople led to a flood of Byzantine scholars and their ancient greek manuscripts to that peninsula
>>
>>59216
Why would a turk give a fuck about alexander?
>>
>>58536
>china were irrelvenat at 500 B.C
>irrelvenat
irrelevant???
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China#Early_dynastic_rule
>>
>>58277
I agree.

Cyrus the Great > Alexander the Great.
>>
>>59216
>>59232
pls leave /his/
>>
File: muh alexander.jpg (41KB, 315x859px) Image search: [Google]
muh alexander.jpg
41KB, 315x859px
>>58312
>>
>>59507
but but but he never lost a battle
>>
File: arab.jpg (25KB, 400x287px) Image search: [Google]
arab.jpg
25KB, 400x287px
alexander was an arab
>>
File: GET.jpg (244KB, 1089x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GET.jpg
244KB, 1089x1080px
>>59507
>Macedonians on suicide watch
>>
>>59507
how does one fuck up so badly
>>
>>59573
He was a black African you fuck.
>>
>>59589
He was a great leader but a terrible tactician. The plan and generals were all made and trained by Philip II, he was prone to rages, alcoholism, and incoherent commands. The battle of the Persian Gates was a veteran Persian commander using the same tactics with a small force to hurl boulders, javelins, arrows, and missiles at mass formations of clogged Macedonian and Greek soldiers for over a fucking month.

No one can say the Persians didn't have their moments.
>>
>>58483
>>58372
Are you fucking retarded?

Greece is part of Europe and so is Italy
>>
>>59507
What the.. how do you even?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.